Why was blackpink the only top group to struggle to sell 100K pure sales on billboard 200?

• In the light of blackpink inevitable end let's discuss one of the "biggest girl group in the world" weakest and most embarrassing points in the media played narrative of yg and blinks of them being a HUGE POPULAR and SUCCESSFUL act in the US market, their pure sales. Blinks sold blackpink to western stans as some sort of ultimate mega popular and successful act that was about to create a storm in the states with their debut, all those lies shattered when they barely cracked 110K units with 80K pure sales with their debut album despite months of selling bundles, lots of album versions and collabs with selena gomez and cardi b, the excuses and copium after it was hilarious not gonna lie.

Firefox_Screenshot_2023-11-14T18-46-25.734Z.png

2 years laters with the early predictions of their second full album were around 80K units with barely 55K pure sales I was shocked, I knew blinks and yg mediaplay was a lie but not even I was expecting such numbers... 55K pure sales for a full album was barely above the 52K pure nayeon, a twice's soloist did with an unpromoted mini album like wtf?? After those crazily low predictions yg and interscope panicked and hit the emergency button: they send those girls to take photos on target stores with their albums, set a full week of buying parties on stationhead, they even went as low to paid twitter influencers to say "omg blackpink new album let me go get my wallet" to create fake buzz (one of the most embarrassing moments in kpop history in my opinion ;( ), thanks to all that they managed to get them a pituful #1 on billboard 200 with less units and pure sales than their debut album 2 years before.

Firefox_Screenshot_2023-11-14T18-41-23.733Z.png

And know we have seen groups like twice, bts, newjeans, stray kids, txt, seventeen easily surpass 100K pure sales without doing any of the tricks yg resorted with blackpink, hell even each bts soloists sold more pure sales than any blackpink album. So what's the reason for this? Blackpink is undeniable more famous than most of the names i mentioned, they are capable of selling lot of concert tickets too, why their fandom is so weak on billboard 200 pure sales?

• this not the drag you think it is.... what mediaplay you are talking about? compared to what other companies do they don't get much as they should and why is your obsession with blackpink? There is a war going on and all you care is to drag blackpink

blackpink is the biggest for many reasons come on now their albums aren't cheap hence why blinks prefer to buy from ktown4u and other hanteo allifiliated stores. I thought you knew that. Trust me, in their next album ( because I think their will be another one) this mistakes won't happen

• So now taking ONE fcking picture at target is a drag

Boo get off twitter, nobody paid fcckass ppl to tweet about the album

A once taking about media play is so funny cause your own fav needed media play make her flop solo results look better

Mad cause born pink out impacted anything twice has put out since 2020

• If $25 difference makes that much of an impact per Blinks, then they are self-admittedly highly price elastic and the brand lacks pricing power, at least when it comes to albums.

• Their USA fandom is not as big as people think. Like, they are the second biggest group there but they are not several times bigger than anyone else like they are in China or SEA

In USA is more a close call, like in Korea where there are girlgroups who can challenge their dominance

I dare to say USA is actually their weakest market

For context only 9% of their streams comes from USA. The average for kpop groups is 15%, BTS, Twice, NJ all have 15%. Stray Kids has 20%

• Because YG is dumb...their albums retailed for over $50 while other groups like Twice priced their albums at $25.

The album had a way lower price than born pink and yet they struggled too, and also born pink was discounted during their debut week due the emergency situation of low sales, those are just excuses my friend.

• Popularity in the US is a lot more than pure album sales which only translate to the most hardcore of fans. Music is a lot better measure.

Even with English singles Twice's career total weeks on the Hot 100 is two weeks in the #80s thanks to download campaigns. Getting fans to bulk buy albums is easy but getting enough of the general public to tune in to your music and chart decently is a lot harder. Despite JYP's desperate attempts to make their songs successful, it just doesn't happen.

Among 3rd gen groups, only BTS and Blackpink(of course to a lesser extent than BTS) sell albums AND have people listening to their music. A lot harder of a feat.

• Popularity in the US is a lot more than pure album sales which only translate to the most hardcore of fans. Music is a lot better measure,

Yet even with English singles Twice's career total weeks on the Hot 100 is two weeks in the #80s thanks to download campaigns. Getting fans to bulk buy albums is easy but getting enough of the general public to tune in to your music and chart decently is a lot harder. Despite JYP's desperate attempts to make their songs successful, it just doesn't happen.

Among 3rd gen groups, only BTS and Blackpink(of course to a lesser extent than BTS) sell albums AND have people listening to their music. A lot harder of a feat.

My friend when you have your company and spotify putting you on the biggest playlists on the world from minute 1 and feeding you 200M playlistist reach of course you will get a shit ton of streams, that's what they did with shut down and I can't forget the night I witnessed that. Like look a newjeans who got the playlisting of blackpink and pulled almost the same streaming numbers, JUST BECAUSE PLAYLISTING.

Pure sales is a good measure of success too, and blackpink struggle on that department is something worth discuss

this not the drag you think it is.... what mediaplay you are talking about? compared to what other companies do they don't get much as they should and why is your obsession with blackpink? There is a war going on and all you care is to drag blackpink

blackpink is the biggest for many reasons come on now their albums aren't cheap hence why blinks prefer to buy from ktown4u and other hanteo allifiliated stores. I thought you knew that. Trust me, in their next album ( because I think their will be another one) this mistakes won't happen

No no stop the excuses, blinks are one of the fandoms better prepared for those things, they know where to buy to chart on billboard, is simple blackpink is not as successful as yg and interscope want people to believe and blinks are not a big fandom in the US, most blinks are from SEA and China.

• My friend when you have your company and spotify putting you on the biggest playlists on the world from minute 1 and feeding you 200M playlistist reach of course you will get a shit ton of streams, that's what they did with shut down and I can't forget the night I witnessed that. Like look a newjeans who got the playlisting of blackpink and pulled almost the same streaming numbers, JUST BECAUSE PLAYLISTING.

Pure sales is a good measure of success too, and blackpink struggle on that department is something worth discuss

No no stop the excuses, blinks are one of the fandoms better prepared for those things, they know where to buy to chart on billboard, is simple blackpink is not as successful as yg and interscope want people to believe and blinks are not a big fandom in the US, most blinks are from SEA and China.

Blackpink still had strong sales, it's not like they were struggling, even if they were to hit #2 or #3. It's not like Twice who can't even stay on the bottom of the music charts more than one week. That is struggle lmao.

Also, to your point. Newjeans with MORE playlisting only hit #48 on the Hot100 chart while PV and Shut Down both hit in the top 25, so playlisting isn't quite the factor that you think it is.

• this not the drag you think it is.... what mediaplay you are talking about? compared to what other companies do they don't get much as they should and why is your obsession with blackpink? There is a war going on and all you care is to drag blackpink

Im with you against the drag to BP. But, why you have to bring something so real like war here, to a kpop forum? Next to that any kpop topic seem so meaningless, so silly. So please, girl. Dont bring reality here, you are ruining it.

• Who cares about those numbers when the girls could buy a house in Seongbuk-dong for 7.5 billion won (Lisa's) or a villa in Hannam-dong for 5 billion won (Jennie's) in CASH....

I'm pretty sure that the girls got like $20M-35M each in the bank after the concert tour counted.

• Blackpink is 1 of 3 groups to chart at least 1 song on the hot 100 to go alongside their #1 album

Skz are selling 200K+ but can't see the hot 100 to save their lives

Blinks in the US are buying and actually listening to the music instead of just bulk buying and poluting oceans

• Skz are selling 200K+ but can't see the hot 100 to save their lives

A airplay-dominated chart isn't the only way to measure people are listening to Stray Kids' music. They are the second-longest charting K-pop Act on Spotify US Top Artist and were already the 3rd most streamed K-pop group in 2023 even ahead of their first comeback, with catalog only.

What's up with this superior complex people think only the groups they like are listened ?(

• Blinks pretending the avg price was 50 bucks when they had several discounts, several digipack, multipack options, free shipping options for US customers and several promotions. Even your girls irl couldn't shift the sales.

50 bucks lol.

Also as for the Stray Kids point if they had 200+ million playlisting I think they could chart for a week or two also. Ya'll act like BP is some staple of US charting when in reality the benefit from great plr and drop in a couple of weeks after entering low.

• A airplay-dominated chart isn't the only way to measure people are listening to Stray Kids' music. They are the second-longest charting K-pop Act on Spotify US Top Artist and were already the 3rd most streamed K-pop group in 2023 even ahead of their first comeback, with catalog only.

What's up with this superior complex people think only the groups they like are listened ?(

Wrong. Streaming far outweighs both sales and radio

The current #98 song on the hot 100 has 20.7m radio and 2m streams

The current #33 on the hot 100 has 12m streams and 0.8m radio

All SKZ need is a measly 4m streams to chart and yet can't do it. I wonder why :pepe-notes:

• It had to do with the price, I believe. Why buy one album when you can get two of your other fav groups for the same price. Also chinese fan clubs go on mass buying campaigns so it inflates numbers there.

• They would need at minimum 5M premium streams. What is not a easy feature for a niche artist without actual support from Playlisting/Discovery Mode.

~4M streams they can get. Actually, LA⁴ might be estimated to get even higher numbers based on the HDD's album prediction. But since ad-supported streams will be down-weighted is not only about streaming as It is.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• If $25 difference makes that much of an impact per Blinks, then they are self-admittedly highly price elastic and the brand lacks pricing power, at least when it comes to albums.

a 25 difference means you would be less likely to bulk buy albums which is what a lot of fans do to boost sales..

BP have organic sales and streams in America while others irrelevant.

9% of their streams come from the USA but those streams are higher then most KPOP groups.. BP just gets high % of streams elsewhere also.

As you said they are second yet other groups are close album sales wise and this thread is trying to ask why?

• A airplay-dominated chart isn't the only way to measure people are listening to Stray Kids' music. They are the second-longest charting K-pop Act on Spotify US Top Artist and were already the 3rd most streamed K-pop group in 2023 even ahead of their first comeback, with catalog only.

SKZ will surpass 2,5B streams on Spotify this year alone, they have over 6B streams. And 20,9% of their 2023 streams are from the US/CA. Clearly they have listeners lol..

Kpop stans seriously need to get over the idiotic "SKZ only polluting oceans" narrative and move on.

• The album had a way lower price than born pink and yet they struggled too, and also born pink was discounted during their debut week due the emergency situation of low sales, those are just excuses my friend.

If dumb people want to be dumb then carry on on Target they were selling albums for $50, its not excuses when its fucking facts.

My friend when you have your company and spotify putting you on the biggest playlists on the world from minute 1 and feeding you 200M playlistist reach of course you will get a shit ton of streams, that's what they did with shut down and I can't forget the night I witnessed that. Like look a newjeans who got the playlisting of blackpink and pulled almost the same streaming numbers, JUST BECAUSE PLAYLISTING.

All due to playlisting yet They still remain the most streamed girl group this year without any promo at all ,

That argument is dumb when their other songs got streams also while your faves struggle to get 1 song streamed. KPOP albums sales are heavily inflated low prices = more bulk buying the BP albums in America were more expensive pointing out a fact is not a excuse buddy.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    ?

ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1571088443157127169%7Ctwgr%5Ee5ae63f12705a7c4bd5b3fe8a9f3689a750ee84f%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum.allkpop.com%2Fthread%2F129362-all-born-pink-tracks-debuted-on-spotify-global-top-25-and-spotify-usa-top-100-sh%2F%3FpageNo%3D2

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Due to playlisting yet all their tracks got decent streams in America and globally.. bitch please.

• Blinks pretending the avg price was 50 bucks when they had several discounts, several digipack, multipack options, free shipping options for US customers and several promotions. Even your girls irl couldn't shift the sales.

50 bucks lol.

Also as for the Stray Kids point if they had 200+ million playlisting I think they could chart for a week or two also. Ya'll act like BP is some staple of US charting when in reality the benefit from great plr and drop in a couple of weeks after entering low.

The main albums on offical American stories were 50 bucks, people mainly buy KPOP albums for the merch really. If stray kids had 200million playlisting they still wouldnt touch BP as I shown above.

I mean BP singles do chart while stray kids,twice dont..

Only legit groups in America are BTS,Twice,BP and NJ no-one fucking knows who stray kids are.

• The main albums on offical American stories were 50 bucks, people mainly buy KPOP albums for the merch really. If stray kids had 200million playlisting they still wouldnt touch BP as I shown above.

I mean BP singles do chart while stray kids,twice dont..

Only legit groups in America are BTS,Twice,BP and NJ no-one fucking knows who stray kids are.

I highly doubt BP songs would debut with the 30-50m plr.

• 9% of their streams come from the USA but those streams are higher then most KPOP groups.. BP just gets high % of streams elsewhere also.

As you said they are second yet other groups are close album sales wise and this thread is trying to ask why?

They have much more casual listeners than other kpop groups

In USA in most groups streams comes from fans with very a only certain degree of casuals so it's not far fetched to see groups with much less popularity than BP to have similar album sales

• This thread contains 19 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!