NewJeans, Ateez and Psy failed to sell out Metlife Stadium so the concert was downgraded to Prudential Center

• Couldn't even sell half of the tickets without using the full capacity of the stadium and the organizer downgraded to a 12k seats arena.

F8ByOr9X0AAQ0wf.jpg

F6fAuN0W4AAwQj6.jpg

F8CH4MNaYAAPw19.jpg

Armys are celebrating and laughing hard on twitter because this boost their agenda that only bts is popular in the west, onces are also happy because this proves how successful twice is by selling this venue and bigger stadiums around the world, blinks will probably chuckle too. Lets hope this teach kpop stans and kpop companies a lesson.

Will this affect newjeans in the slightest? They were the face of this event and kbs booked this venue after all their records and good results in the US charts.

• Most fans of those groups did not want to spend the kind of money they were asking for just for what everyone thought would be 30 minutes at best of their favorite group covering songs, and then stick around for artists they'd never heard of.

It was a tough sell to begin with AND they had those overpriced tickets in an arena like Metlife

I don't think the popularity of the groups had anything to do with it. Putting NJ aside, since some will claim I'm biased, Ateez sold 51,340 tickets and made $5,420,257 in the U.S. alone on their most recent tour.

But I don't expect most people to bother with the nuance and context of the situation and they will just try to drag the involved groups.

This is an example of laughable awful planning not low demand for the idols.

• The tickets were pricy...and no one knows what to expect, most people haven't even heard of the show, Ateez is well respected they won it 3 or 4 times out of the amount of times they appeared on there. Psy is a HUGE artist here in the u.s. everyone knows his music, but the tickets were astronomical for something unknown. I, myself, if I lived there wouldn't pay that price to sit there for at most 30 minutes of ateez...when I know that I could pay around the same price for a tour ticket and get about 2 1/2 hours + of an amazing show. It feels like a waste of time and money, especially When I don't care for/like/know the others that will be there.

It's definitely for not a lack of fans, it's a combination of things plus a show hardly anyone knows/cares about.

• It was an embarrassment to book such a venue with that line up. They needed to be serious and it's no shook to anyone with a brain that they should move to a much smaller area.

• I don't think the popularity of the groups had anything to do with it. Putting NJ aside, since some will claim I'm biased, Ateez sold 51,340 tickets and made $5,420,257 in the U.S. alone on their most recent tour.

in how many stops?

I mean, 10 shows with 5,000 fans each gets you to 50K tickets sold.

Still does not mean you can sell out an NFL stadium.

• The tickets were pricy...and no one knows what to expect, most people haven't even heard of the show, Ateez is well respected they won it 3 or 4 times out of the amount of times they appeared on there. Psy is a HUGE artist here in the u.s. everyone knows his music, but the tickets were astronomical for something unknown. I, myself, if I lived there wouldn't pay that price to sit there for at most 30 minutes of ateez...when I know that I could pay around the same price for a tour ticket and get about 2 1/2 hours + of an amazing show. It feels like a waste of time and money, especially When I don't care for/like/know the others that will be there.

It's definitely for not a lack of fans, it's a combination of things plus a show hardly anyone knows/cares about.

Lot of people have mentioned the price, what was it?

• It was an embarrassment to book such a venue with that line up. They needed to be serious and it's no shook to anyone with a brain that they should move to a much smaller area.

But. but, but NewJeans is ready to take over BlackPink and Twice.....or so I have been told.

• Lot of people have mentioned the price, what was it?

There are nine different ticket tiers available, priced from US$59 to US$599.

you mean to tell me they expected people to pay $599 for that?

did a selfie with ateez come in that package good god

F5xV33HWoAAUZef?format=jpg&name=medium

• nosebleeds start at $59 to $399

Do you know how that compares to Twice, BlackPink or BTS when they sold out the venue?

• Do you know how that compares to Twice, BlackPink or BTS when they sold out the venue?

why do i care? i dont' stan any of those groups nor do i follow their ticket sales, i'm sure you can find it

• There are nine different ticket tiers available, priced from US$59 to US$399.

you mean to tell me they expected people to pay $399 for that?

did a selfie with ateez come in that package good god

F5xV33HWoAAUZef?format=jpg&name=medium

Keep in mind the upper range for ticket prices was, as shown in the picture, up to $600 before they began to cut prices.

Which K-Pop fans may be willing to do for an event like K-Con, where they at least can see multiple groups, including their favorite one, along with all the fan events there, but most NewJeans fans were absolutely not willing to spend that kind of money for an Immortal Song concert, when they could, like you said, save that money for NewJeans' eventual first world tour instead.

I can comfortably afford to go, and did buy tickets and still felt a little silly, because it was Immortal Song, and before they released that concert set list, I thought I was paying a premium for a very minimal amount of NewJeans.

• Keep in mind the upper range for ticket prices was, as shown in the picture, up to $600 before they began to cut prices.

Which K-Pop fans may be willing to do for an event like K-Con, where they at least can see multiple groups, including their favorite one, along with all the fan events there, but most NewJeans fans were absolutely not willing to spend that kind of money for an Immortal Song concert, when they could, like you said, save that money for NewJeans' eventual first world tour instead.

I can comfortably afford to go, and did buy tickets and still felt a little silly, because it was Immortal Song, and before they released that concert set list, I thought I was paying a premium for a very minimal amount of NewJeans.

it's just crazy...this is not the fault of the artists, it's the fault of the people putting this together expecting a huge turnout...these ticket prices before or after the cut are astronomical, imo, for something so small...30 minutes of any artist while you sit through what? stuff you don't care about? some talking? I personally, despite liking ateez, would find this boring...And with my luck to see Ateez i'd have to sit through most of this...it would probably be psy last, ateez before him and new jeans before ateez...it's more beneficial to save up for an actual concert, or as you suggested...KCon. I love SEVERAL groups and it'd be worth teh money to see that.

• Different fandoms have different mindset.. ARMYs will go and support BTS even though they perform just one or two songs. (I think Blinks and Once are like this too). I guess Ateez fandom and Bunnies (to be fair this is such a newbie fandom) don’t have this yet. Or they are in the age range of not having financial freedom. Psy don’t have a strong fandom so it’s not a surprise.

Prudential centre is a good venue though. Hope everyone will have fun!

• Touring potential is gained over time. And these acts currently don’t have it. Ateez are decent in touring but not enough for this venue and I don’t think NJ have amassed any interest yet for their performances and PSY well it’s no longer 2012 lol.

That’s all there is to it. Things like ticket pricing is just an excuse and multi artist events are indeed popular in the US it’s just none of these acts are headliner. Or even a combination of them are headliner. And that’s ok maybe it’ll develop over time. When you have the pull people will go to see you perform even 2-3 songs.

• it's just crazy...this is not the fault of the artists, it's the fault of the people putting this together expecting a huge turnout...these ticket prices before or after the cut are astronomical, imo, for something so small...30 minutes of any artist while you sit through what? stuff you don't care about? some talking? I personally, despite liking ateez, would find this boring...And with my luck to see Ateez i'd have to sit through most of this...it would probably be psy last, ateez before him and new jeans before ateez...it's more beneficial to save up for an actual concert, or as you suggested...KCon. I love SEVERAL groups and it'd be worth teh money to see that.

Well I guess they figured if big names in kpop can sell out the stadium by themselves, then some mid tier acts put together can also do it.

They are being proven wrong.

• it's just crazy...this is not the fault of the artists, it's the fault of the people putting this together expecting a huge turnout...these ticket prices before or after the cut are astronomical, imo, for something so small...30 minutes of any artist while you sit through what? stuff you don't care about? some talking? I personally, despite liking ateez, would find this boring...And with my luck to see Ateez i'd have to sit through most of this...it would probably be psy last, ateez before him and new jeans before ateez...it's more beneficial to save up for an actual concert, or as you suggested...KCon. I love SEVERAL groups and it'd be worth teh money to see that.

Another thing I didn't mention is that the MCing and talk segments will most likely be in Korean, as this concert is getting put on public broadcast in Korea later in the year, if I'm not mistaken.

So they were expecting fans to churn out hundreds of dollars and fill out a football stadium venue size to attend a concert where they weren't even sure if their favorite groups would even perform their own songs or even perform for longer than 15 minutes total, while attending for a combined 4 hours to mostly see artists they don't know or care about, with Psy being the only well-known name in the states outside of the K-Pop groups, MCed in a language they most likely don't even understand, when they could just save money to go to an actual concert held by their favorite group.

I don't know how anyone reads that and "nobody wants to see these groups" is their only conclusion :sweat:

Or they are in the age range of not having financial freedom.

I can't speak for Ateez fans, but a lot of NewJeans fans unsurprisingly lean on the young side, and from what I've observed, they are holding on to their money for the inevitable first tour, which is the obvious choice to make for a new and young fandom.

I don't know why Ateez is catching shade too, when they've already had a very successful U.S. tour.

in how many stops?

• Well I guess they figured if big names in kpop can sell out the stadium by themselves, then some mid tier acts put together can also do it.

They are being proven wrong.

I don't know what tier to consider Psy, and new jeans is too new to have built an astronomical fan base like twice or bts. Ateez is more popular among INTERNATIONAL fans, that doesn't mean just the U.S. I don't argue that Ateez can sell out a stadium, they cannot yet, this immortal songs has an old artist, no namers, a new artist and Ateez. That's all there is to it, has nothing to do with anything else. Ateez can sell out any venue they perform at here, they have done it, but none of those are stadiums.

That's more then a few groups out there can do, the fanbase is also small we are no army, stay, once, etc. So to sit here and expect a lot, as a fan of ateez for the past 3 years, you would give too much credit. They are AMAZING performers, they put on AMAZING shows, i've seen every concert online, but they are not stadium level.

• Do you know how that compares to Twice, BlackPink or BTS when they sold out the venue?

blackpink initial prices were absurdly high, but the cheapest tickets price dropped to $35 some days before the concert, cheapest tickets for immortal songs last night tickets were $65 but i didnt check fully. twice, blackpink and bts had more expensive tickets in average i think.

• not even kcon, who have much better lineup & lot of big group (ive, ateez, itzy, idle, stray kids, taemin etc) are confident enough to book a big ass stadium and the orgnizer went for metlife with only ateez & newjeans ?

sometimes i dont understand the logic of the organizer, booking a big venue for group like triple s

I agree with your point.

not even kcon, who have much better lineup & lot of big group (ive, ateez, itzy, idle, stray kids, taemin etc) are confident enough to book a big ass stadium and the orgnizer went for metlife with only ateez & newjeans ?

sometimes i dont understand the logic of the organizer, booking a big venue for group like triple s

I totally disagree with your point.

• I think the fact Immortal Song 2 is, at its core, a song cover competition show is being glossed over as well.

They only very recently revealed the groups would actually perform their own songs. When the tickets first went on sale, that was not known.

So you have to ask yourself, would you pay hundreds of dollars to potentially see your favorite group perform for only 15 minutes (30 minutes was generous--I'm a Mamamoo fan and saw them compete on IS 12 times) and sing somebody else's songs you've never heard before? Or would you just save your money and wait for a proper concert?

That's a huge ask of any artist's fandom.

That is 8.5K per show, that is pretty good for a kpop act.

Maybe in a year or two they can do NBA arenas.

• But. but, but NewJeans is ready to take over BlackPink and Twice.....or so I have been told.

Nj is still on their first year in their careers?? Like did Bp or Twice doing stadium in US or having their concert in huge venues in Korea during their rookie days despite a lot of kpop fans and trolls saying the same thing that these two groups will take over Snsd at that time? Everyone see their potential with sales and streams so those fans and trolls were saying that but even these two groups need more time to establish themselves to prove it. That's exactly what's going on with Nj trajectory now, they also need time like those two groups despite all the potential they have.

So why so pressed about a group of teenager unable to sell out stadium in their rookie year? Even Bp and Twice take 7 years before dare to do stadium in the US, so it's absurd to not giving Nj more time too like these two groups. They are in the right direction to do so with their sales and streams there. They just need to strengthen their core fandom.

• Well... I maybe would have been interested in going to that concert, if it wasn't for the fact that I live far away from USA and would have to use a lot of hours to fly there. (like I have to fly to at least 2 countries to get there)

Also, I have been travelling enough this year and been at one ATEEZ concert. And that is enough for me.

I'd rather sit in front of my computer to watch it instead.

• Nj is still on their first year in their careers?? Like did Bp or Twice doing stadium in US or having their concert in huge venues in Korea during their rookie days despite a lot of kpop fans and trolls saying the same thing that these two groups will take over Snsd at that time? Everyone see their potential with sales and streams so those fans and trolls were saying that but even these two groups need more time to establish themselves to prove it. That's exactly what's going on with Nj trajectory now, they also need time like those two groups despite all the potential they have.

So why so pressed about a group of teenager unable to sell out stadium in their rookie year? Even Bp and Twice take 7 years before dare to do stadium in the US, so it's absurd to not giving Nj more time too like these two groups. They are in the right direction to do so with their sales and streams there. They just need to strengthen their core fandom.

kpop was a different landscape when BP and Twice debuted...back then selling 200K-300K albums was already monster numbers and selling out even arena venues was an impossible task (2NE1 in their prime only sold 10K seats at the prudential center)...now selling out arenas is not a big deal and selling a million albums is commonplace.

• This thread contains 55 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!