Somi's 1st day sales dropped from 30,798 to 9411 after 2-year hiatus (28,935 1-week, 52,612 2-week, 61,881 1-month)

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Not at all surprised, could have been as low as 5000. What does surprise me is that they would release an album right away, instead of starting off with a digital single to build back up a fandom (like they did with pre-releasing Dumb Dumb a couple months before the XOXO album).

On the positive side, the difference seems to be largely the result of having no China Bar sales and the GP is still interested in Somi (Fast Forward climbed up from about #95 to #50 in a week), so the sales will probably have a longer tail as Somi continues promoting.

If Somi doesn't dig herself out of this ditch TBL will probably push her even more into being an influencer, or into a group. Somi stated that she is still hungry for making music, so she has some work to do.

Update:

1st-day: 9411

1-week: 28,935

2-week: 52,612

1-month: 61,881 * new solo-career peak (XOXO - 60,988)

Selling and charting better after a two year hiatus. Never count Somi out.

The Five Horsemen Of The Apocalypse
    BP2.jpg Very-Very-Very-Smaller.gif BP1.jpg

Edited 2 times, last by hammerstan ().

• If Somi doesn't dig herself out of this ditch TBL will probably push her even more into being an influencer, or into a group. Somi stated that she is still hungry for making music, so she has some work to do.

:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

• teddy is a sad excuse for a producer. it doesn't surprise me at all. whatever he's starting with new ggs and everything else is bound to fail as well because no fan in their right mind would enjoy supporting artists like that. kpop has changed and teddy sadly hasn't.

• I'm halfway to calling the peak of Kpop album sales.

Oh My Girl, The Boyz, Yuri, and Eunbi have also seen moderate to huge drops in sales. Somi and The Boys have extenuating circumstances that could explain their downfall (Boyz getting into scandal after scandal and Somi disappearing for years at a time). But the drops for Yuri and Eunbi are very concerning. Not for those two specifically, they are skyrocketing in Korea popularity wise, but in terms of overall Kpop album sales.

Will be curious to see Stayc's sales soon.

Oh My Girl, The Boyz, Yuri, and Eunbi have also seen moderate to huge drops in sales. Somi and The Boys have extenuating circumstances that could explain their downfall (Boyz getting into scandal after scandal and Somi disappearing for years at a time). But the drops for Yuri and Eunbi are very concerning. Not for those two specifically, they are skyrocketing in Korea popularity wise, but in terms of overall Kpop album sales.

Ain’t no way Stayc will decline teddy better is a hit and poppy kr version did well too. They’re pulling 500k sales this cb.

The bubble had to burst eventually.

I think the fact Yuri and Eunbi haven't had a decent hit in Korea yet is also playing a part. They are being carried by fandom power alone. I thought Eunbi would see more attention for her recent comeback after her making such a big splash at Waterbomb, but...I guess she got the wrong kind of attention. Or maybe her comeback should have been a bit sexier. Something Sistar/AOA inspired.

Not sure what happened with OMG though. Their songs have yet to truly flop, and yet...

I guess it's due to lack of any true international fanbase. Without international fanbases, I'm sure GGs would still be at the level of having hits in Korea, but lacking in album sales.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• teddy is a sad excuse for a producer. it doesn't surprise me at all. whatever he's starting with new ggs and everything else is bound to fail as well because no fan in their right mind would enjoy supporting artists like that. kpop has changed and teddy sadly hasn't.

The long delay seems to be partially Somi's wish,

"By the time I was composing the album, my head was hurting so much. There are a lot of strong songs, so I had a lot of concerns about how to compose them on the album, so I originally planned to do two comebacks. After thinking about it for a few days and days, I thought that an album full of songs worthy of the title would be a good album, so I persuaded the company to make it a one-time album instead of two comebacks. The process itself was challenging, but it was also a fun moment."

TBL would have divided to album into two minis/singles. I would assume the first would have released earlier, but I don't know how much earlier. Probably wouldn't have made much of a difference unless it released shortly after she hosted MAMA or earlier, and I suspect it wasn't ready at that point (or they would have released it).

• I think the fact Yuri and Eunbi haven't had a decent hit in Korea yet is also playing a part. They are being carried by fandom power alone. I thought Eunbi would see more attention for her recent comeback after her making such a big splash at Waterbomb, but...I guess she got the wrong kind of attention. Or maybe her comeback should have been a bit sexier. Something Sistar/AOA inspired.

I mean, Eunbi's newfound attention was always unlikely to translate to a mass uptick in sales. I don't think the bubble has burst at all, every other major group is having massive upswings (incl. NMIXX). I think some people just back the wrong horses and use that to call trends

• Digital is on the rise and people seem to be hyping/talking about her so that's all good...but yeah sales are a disaster. Can only hope it's distribution issues right now and they ll pick up in the week.

• I mean, Eunbi's newfound attention was always unlikely to translate to a mass uptick in sales. I don't think the bubble has burst at all, every other major group is having massive upswings (incl. NMIXX). I think some people just back the wrong horses and use that to call trends

I didn't think it would necessarily translate in sales directly but streams.

If the song is good, a viral moment can get you a hit, which then may or may not lead to an increase in sales. Unfortunately, I don't think her new song was catchy enough to have her benefit from the attention she got. Just my own take.

The bubble has yet to burst for groups coming from the Big 3 and those big groups like G-IDLE, IVE, and even STAYC, but I think we can see signs of KPOP fatigue catching up to midtier groups. We see it from album sales and touring numbers too. I wouldn't be surprised if NMIXX's numbers lag on the next comeback. Especially if they comeback a 3rd time this year, but it's hard to have a conversation about that anyway given most people will just say the lag is due to sajaegi rather than anything else.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

That again...

Based on what I've seen, Somi has zero interest in joining a group.

Also, as far as I'm aware, "Fast Forward" is the first comeback that Blackpink girls didn't post anything to support. They usually post at least one IG story at MV release. So, either the BP girls are on bad terms with Teddy (suggesting that they are not renewing, or at least dropping Teddy as their executive producer), or Teddy is intentionally sabotaging Somi's solo career to give her no choice but to join his next group.

• Digital is on the rise and people seem to be hyping/talking about her so that's all good...but yeah sales are a disaster. Can only hope it's distribution issues right now and they ll pick up in the week.

I don't think so. It makes sense that sales would plummet relative to XOXO after such a long hiatus and no pre-release.

• Teddy is intentionally sabotaging Somi's solo career to give her no choice but to join his next group.

His next group? hum.

HardcoreBLINK what label do you say is going to sign BlackPink?

• I didn't think it would necessarily translate in sales directly but streams.

If the song is good, a viral moment can get you a hit, which then may or may not lead to an increase in sales. Unfortunately, I don't think her new song was catchy enough to have her benefit from the attention she got. Just my own take.

The bubble has yet to burst for groups coming from the Big 3 and those big groups like G-IDLE, IVE, and even STAYC, but I think we can see signs of KPOP fatigue catching up to midtier groups. We see it from album sales and touring numbers too. I wouldn't be surprised if NMIXX's numbers lag on the next comeback. Especially if they comeback a 3rd time this year, but it's hard to have a conversation about that anyway given most people will just say the lag is due to sajaegi rather than anything else.

actually i saw that IVE's sales also slowed down this year as well, maybe you're right, and it'll hit less privileged groups first

• As someone who stan Somi since Sixteen, I just accepted she's more an influencer now than a singer. Her brand is too strong even before she had a solo hit, and I'm sure her income is more from cfs and things like this. I do miss idol Somi and I would prefer her in a group, but she's happy in tbl and has more freedom than the average idol.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• His next group? hum.

HardcoreBLINK what label do you say is going to sign BlackPink?

... There's literally no reason to add Somi to Blackpink. If one member leaves, BP could continue as three. If two members leave, the group is dead and adding Somi wouldn't help. In both cases, Somi would get an incredible amount of hate. Not worth it.

From Teddy's perspective, adding Somi to tblgg would be far more useful because it would provide a large boost to initial hype (even for Teddy's next group), and Blinks would be much more likely to support the group because many of them like Somi.

• As someone who stan Somi since Sixteen, I just accepted she's more an influencer now than a singer. Her brand is too strong even before she had a solo hit, and I'm sure her income is more from cfs and things like this. I do miss idol Somi and I would prefer her in a group, but she's happy in tbl and has more freedom than the average idol.

Somi will lose a lot of her fame that supports her influencer activities if she flops a few times as an idol, unless she pivots to something else, like acting. Somi has shown no interest in acting so far and says she's still focused on music.

• Somi will lose a lot of her fame that supports her influencer activities if she flops a few times as an idol, unless she pivots to something else, like acting. Somi has shown no interest in acting so far and says she's still focused on music.

I think her influence is more impacted by digital results than album sales results. At least the song is rising on the charts (but this release is too weak after a long hiatus).

K-pop album sales were up 30% in 2022 compared to 2021 with $80m in revenue. I don’t know what the forecast is for 2023, but if it’s below expectations it will be easy to argue that inflation and a slowing economy was the culprit.

• I think her influence is more impacted by digital results than album sales results. At least the song is rising on the charts (but this release is too weak after a long hiatus).

I agree. Staying in the headlines and climbing the charts is far more important for Somi (she didn't even release an album until 2 years into her solo career), but this extremely long hiatus also hurt her digital numbers to some extent. For example, Somi's still getting the most views for her music show performances, but the difference used to be larger. Somi is also getting less comments on her MV (can't see the likes), although that would be partially caused by the BP girls not promoting the MV on their IG stories this comeback (which concerns me, as stated earlier).

• I agree. Staying in the headlines and climbing the charts is far more important for Somi (she didn't even release an album until 2 years into her solo career), but this extremely long hiatus also hurt her digital numbers to some extent. For example, Somi's still getting the most views for her music show performances, but the difference used to be larger. Somi is also getting less comments on her MV (can't see the likes), although that would be partially caused by the BP girls not promoting the MV on their IG stories this comeback (which concerns me, as stated earlier).

The thing about hiatus is that the cb has to be explosive. Dumb Dumb was catchy, the visual of the mv was very trendy and Somi as a blonde was a new thing and trended a lot. This cb is cute, but doesn't look like a cb after a long hiatus. I hope she releases something else soon.

• Expected after 2 years of practically nothing, XOXO was also coming off of a hit unlike this one

I think it's clear that music is some side gig for her and it's clearly not her main source of income. She probably feels more contempt getting money from CFs and stuff rather than working as an idol, which I mean good for her I'm sure alot of others would prefer the same. She's always been more GP-oriented and Somi the name/brand has always been bigger than Somi the musician, at least since she's gone solo.

Doubt this means she's completely over cause the song is rising on charts and has all the markings to be a hit

• The long delay seems to be partially Somi's wish,

"By the time I was composing the album, my head was hurting so much. There are a lot of strong songs, so I had a lot of concerns about how to compose them on the album, so I originally planned to do two comebacks. After thinking about it for a few days and days, I thought that an album full of songs worthy of the title would be a good album, so I persuaded the company to make it a one-time album instead of two comebacks. The process itself was challenging, but it was also a fun moment."

TBL would have divided to album into two minis/singles. I would assume the first would have released earlier, but I don't know how much earlier. Probably wouldn't have made much of a difference unless it released shortly after she hosted MAMA or earlier, and I suspect it wasn't ready at that point (or they would have released it).

smh. it's obviously not somi's wish. since structural changes were planned in 2022.

• The thing about hiatus is that the cb has to be explosive. Dumb Dumb was catchy, the visual of the mv was very trendy and Somi as a blonde was a new thing and trended a lot. This cb is cute, but doesn't look like a cb after a long hiatus. I hope she releases something else soon.

Looks like they plan on releasing another MV featuring Hyuna. Probably for "Gold Gold Gold" since Somi teased the choreo at a fan signing, and it's the most "Hyuna" of her tracks.

They filmed something over multiple days:

External Content twitter.com

Hyuna went to Somi's listening party:

Somi teased choreo for "Gold Gold Gold":

• Teddy scratching his head at this result as if it didn't happen with 2ne1 too lol

BP is really an anomaly

• The long delay seems to be partially Somi's wish,

She kinda killed some of her potential with that move

Releasing a pre-release & then the EP would have atleast generated more $$$ through streams if not more sales

• That again...

Based on what I've seen, Somi has zero interest in joining a group.

Also, as far as I'm aware, "Fast Forward" is the first comeback that Blackpink girls didn't post anything to support. They usually post at least one IG story at MV release. So, either the BP girls are on bad terms with Teddy (suggesting that they are not renewing, or at least dropping Teddy as their executive producer), or Teddy is intentionally sabotaging Somi's solo career to give her no choice but to join his next group.

U do know it's the opposite right 😂

• Teddy & YG are not on best of terms hence BP being in the middle of a divorce lol

So your saying that YGE prevented the pinks from posting support for Somi's comback out of spite? Isn't Teddy still their executive producer? Couldn't he just ask the girls or instruct their managers to post something for Somi?

• So your saying that YGE prevented the pinks from posting support for Somi's comback out of spite? Isn't Teddy still their executive producer? Couldn't he just ask the girls or instruct their managers to post something for Somi?

It's just respecting the status quo till the tour ends

YG is totally spiteful,let's not act like this ain't the same man that prevented the pinks from attending award shows out of spite for how the media rightfully treated him during burning sun

• This thread contains 38 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!