Billboard changes rules again after Jimin tops chart, song will no longer be in top 10

• It seems that now you can only buy one copy for a lifetime, not one copy per week like before. Jimin is predicted to chart top 50, not top 10 like before. This will make it harder for Kpop acts to maintain longevity without high radio or streams.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• They are literally so threatened over ONE damn group.

Like I dead can't make this up.

After BTS as a group was getting those numerous #1s on the Hot 100, they been tryna stop them.

But its okay though, cuz ARMY always find a way.

Just like we found a way this time.

Give us a few months to a year, and we'll be able to chart at #1 again or at least in the Top 10 :pepegrin:

• Ig they just don't kpop act to chart well in the US :thinkerpepe:

Exactly.

They hate the challenge Kpop poses to their own artists.

So they will have complete unknown Americans have tons of radio and call them 'organic new stars', while nobody heard about them before they were 'suddenly' pushed up by radio. Thing is, people believe they are really popular because they heard them on the radio and radio gives them charting on top of that.

It's not just BTS. Other fandoms have tried getting radio and they just ignore as much as they can.

It's why I don't listen to American music much any more. No need to open the doors wide for them if they don't even open the doors slightly for Asian groups.

• well in theory it's a pretty good thing because now it'll reflect more what's really popular and organic

but in practice it'll not change anything, because people will just create 100 different email and use their emails to buy the song 100 times so at the end it doesn't change anything that they buy one each week, or use tons of different emails to buy

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip

• Tbh buying the same song that you already have each week is a bit ridiculous. Don’t know how that’s ‘organic’

It's the only way Kpop songs get acknowledged, as they will not give them radio.

Radio counts heavily and has the added bonus of making people think something is well-known and popular. And this happens to American artists that nobody heard of.

It's a dirty game they're playing over in the USA. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't always try to push their music into other countries all the time and would be hella mad if they were being gatekept to the extent that they gatekeep over there.

• While i generally agree with the sentiment expressed here that mass repeat buying of singles each week is inorganic and distorts reality, i do find it funny that these rules only happen after BTS starts to dominate Hot 100 charts with every release. Weren't Swifties and other fandom driven Western acts like Bieber, 1D or Harry also engaging in repeat downloads of their faves' songs?

• I'm not surprised. These western chart changes their rules once BTS plays the same field as their western counterparts. (Spotify, YouTube, Billboard)

But before (115K)

And after (49K)

It will never not be funny that the one metric that pays the artists more gets heavily filtered but the one that pays radios and companies more gets weighed more. Payola really is the GP everyone only acknowledge but demonize fans actually paying for music to support their artists.

• Tbh buying the same song that you already have each week is a bit ridiculous. Don’t know how that’s ‘organic’

Well, why would anyone ever need to buy the same mp3 more than once?

this is honestly good. Billboard should actually reflect songs that are actually popular among the general public in the U.S.

lmao y'all only saying that cuz y'all don't wanna see BTS and other groups who chart on the Hot 100 do well.

which im surprised, cuz 99% of the people y'all stan and ult don't even have a chance to enter the chart :boompepe:

so the hating outside the club, when you can't even get in is crazy to me...

but don't trip, cuz ARMY always find a way, just like we did this time.

so you'll see BTS at #1 or in in the Top 5 again...thats a PROMISE.

• well it's not a bad thing, at least now only really organic song will chart well

People actually still think the American charts are organic?

If they were really organic, they would not count radio. That is the least organic thing I can think of: some radio stations deciding who is 'popular' and charting. And somehow they ignore it when Kpop fans ask them to play songs, but they will play complete American unknowns until people get sick of it and declare them popular.

• The theory that BB hates BTS is true

It's true for all Kpop. There have been other fandoms that tried to get radio to play their music and it's been almost complete silence.

They already don't like how much Kpop competes with their own artists (or British artists signed to American labels).

They will do anything to gatekeep against Kpop, while still expecting foreign countries to welcome their artists with open arms.

• It's true for all Kpop. There have been other fandoms that tried to get radio to play their music and it's been almost complete silence.

They already don't like how much Kpop competes with their own artists (or British artists signed to American labels).

They will do anything to gatekeep against Kpop, while still expecting foreign countries to welcome their artists with open arms.

You are rapidly becoming one of my favorite Armys, spitting nothin but facts :cheer-bunny:

• Personally I’m not too bothered about the Hot 100 ranking. If my faves charts then well done to them, if they don’t then it’s not the end of the world. I’m just not bothered and it doesn’t consume my life. Can’t say the same for everyone I guess

• No not the dumb SM stans and kpop stans showing how dumb they are not knowing shit about the US industry yet again. Companies paying the radio to play their songs is not "orgainic" in any way shape or form. If you are fine with being forced fed "hits" just say that. Literally as we speak Ed Sheeran is proof in recent time that no one is streaming or buying his latest music but you will be forced to hear his song against your will anyway if you turn on the radio or shuffle on Spotify.

• :pepe-shrug:

You aren't even army, good try.

• No not the dumb SM stans and kpop stans showing how dumb they are not knowing shit about the US industry yet again. Companies paying the radio to play their songs is not "orgainic" in any way shape or form. If you are fine with being forced fed "hits" just say that. Literally as we speak Ed Sheeran is proof in recent time that no one is streaming or buying his latest music but you will be forced to hear his song against your will anyway if you turn on the radio or shuffle on Spotify.

This is exactly it. And the person giving you the :facepalm: reaction, doesn't even realize they will do exactly the same thing if they become competition to their faves.

• Thanks mate.

You're a cool person yourself :-)

I don't want to drag your faves into this too much, but I also think BP has enough to support in the USA to justify way more radio play than they get.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

And we as Kpop fans definitely have common ground to fight against UMG, Sony, Warner, Billboard, Iheartradio, etc who will fight tooth and nail to gatekeep Kpop out of the mainstream. Imagine if songs sung in Korglish with difficult synchronized choreo become trendy here in the US, imagine how many local artists would be left out. :pepe-notes:

• they're not even trying to hide it at this rate. I'm sorry but me being forced to hear specific songs on the radio because companies are paying them to be on there doesn't mean I like those songs and I listen to them frequently. It means that I have an annoying little brother that won't let me change radio channels.

• The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

And we as Kpop fans definitely have common ground to fight against UMG, Sony, Warner, Billboard, Iheartradio, etc who will fight tooth and nail to gatekeep Kpop out of the mainstream. Imagine if songs sung in Korglish with difficult synchronized choreo become trendy here in the US, imagine how many local artists would be left out. :pepe-notes:

8)

I totally agree with you.

I would somewhat have sympathy for protecting their own artists if we were talking about some small country with a tiny music industry.

This is, however, a music industry that tries to dominate the world and pushes out local singers/artists from radios in other countries all the freaking time.

Since I found out how they were over there, I almost never listen to American music anymore and instead try music from many different countries. There are millions of great songs out there that we don't hear unless we look for it because it's the same generic shit on our radios all the time.

• Actually you can still stay on the charts but you have to create new remixes every week, not just the first week. This is what Taylor Swift does actually, she has new remixes and acapella versions every week because she knows the rules. Hybe, take notes.

• People actually still think the American charts are organic?

If they were really organic, they would not count radio. That is the least organic thing I can think of: some radio stations deciding who is 'popular' and charting. And somehow they ignore it when Kpop fans ask them to play songs, but they will play complete American unknowns until people get sick of it and declare them popular.

I agree with this as someone from the U.S.

Most of the songs that are pushed down our throats on radio aren't songs that are popular outside of radio.

Not only that, they rarely play ACTUAL requested songs. One time a lot of my friends requested this one song they love to be played and they never played it. And trust me, the songs they were playing instead of that song were songs no one in my area knew about.

Also, there's this one artist that's really pushed on radio(not gonna say who it is) but it's pretty obvious they aren't played on there cus they're popular.

• Now devalue radio and we'll finally get something close to an accurate chart again

I only learned about how big radio is for the Hot 100 on this forum, before that i was convinced that Billboard wouldnt be dumb enough to include a completely obsolete platform like radio in their charts and even if they did, that it would be a miniscule proportion of what goes into the calculations for the chart.

Oh how naive and wrong i was. Radio is hugely important especially for longevity.

And it's clear why. It's a gatekeeping tool used by UMG, Sony and Warner to keep their artists trending on Billboard.

The Hot 100 should be determined by:

45% Downloads (only one per person)

45% Streams from Spotify, YT, Apple, Amazon inc both video and audio but filtered to remove bots and zombie streamers with more weight given to paid streams

10% Social media activity on Twitter/IG/FB if this activity can be and is filtered somehow

• Damn I learned about that but it still surprises me.

I know there must be payola here in France too but I don't think it's that blatant. Or I'm not paying attention enough lol.

• Requesting songs from your local radio station won't work. If a song isn't on the playlist that's issued by the corporate owners, the local station isn't allowed to play it.

• In the brazilian pop forum I'm in, the western pop fans are mocking Jimin (and K-pop as whole too) and the kpop stans are there in the thread united to defend him and shading the pop girls they are fan of back

I'm dying, the level is low

C97z9dy.gif

Let them try and popularize even the most talented Brazilian artists in the USA and they will do exactly the same thing to them.

• Damn I learned about that but it still surprises me.

I know there must be payola here in France too but I don't think it's that blatant. Or I'm not paying attention enough lol.

They do play established artists over and over again, but what makes it so obvious is that they do it with complete unknowns (but comfortably signed with a big American label).

Where did all the 'demand' come from, and yet they get tons of radio in their first week.

• Social media should 100% not be involved lmao

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• This thread contains 148 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!