[BTS CONTENT] RM really just called out the west for being hypocrites and colonizers #THATSMYPRESIDENT

• full article:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• yeah, not everything is black and white

he makes really good points and I feel like sometime the "overworking" talk on kpop is way too much simplified, people want content and perfection but dont want to see the process

theres not really right or wrong

• My love and respect for him increases day by day bcos of his growth as a person and an artist.

this chapter is really giving us unfiltered version of RM( to an extent). He said " stop judging BTS and KPOP, colonizers" and also said the title KPOP is something their grandparents( ancestors) fought for.

I think/hope this statement opens many eyes who look down on BTS for being KPOP or even the title KPOP bcos of the prefabricated prejudices. I don't think one expected(inclu. me) so much culture and history being involved.

• Not only non-KPOP fans but some fans of BTS too - should pay more attention to what Namjoon and the guys are saying. I mean to this day, there’s still a huge part of ARMY that likes to go around and say BTS isn’t KPOP etc. He’s reminding everyone that BTS is proudly Korean and part of KPOP.

He didn’t lie re how so many Westerns view KPOP industry in an incomplete way, ignoring history and not reflecting on their own industries too

• Not only non-KPOP fans but some fans of BTS too - should pay more attention to what Namjoon and the guys are saying. I mean to this day, there’s still a huge part of ARMY that likes to go around and say BTS isn’t KPOP etc. He’s reminding everyone that BTS is proudly Korean and part of KPOP.

He didn’t lie re how so many Westerns view KPOP industry in an incomplete way, ignoring history and not reflecting on their own industries too

there is a bit of context to why they do. its started when korean comments saying that BTS music has HAN (korean music) feeling to them as opposed to KPOP( which has more western feel in their music and msg) was spread.

It wasnt bcos they looked down on koreans.

but i do hope this interviews lets even those fans know BTS are okay to be part of kpop.( not just kpop but part of it)

• there is a bit of context to why they do. its started when korean comments saying that BTS music has HAN (korean music) feeling to them as opposed to KPOP( which has more western feel in their music and msg) was spread.

It wasnt bcos they looked down on koreans.

but i do hope this interviews lets even those fans know BTS are okay to be part of kpop.( not just kpop but part of it)

It was also because Western industry would immediately dismiss anything with the kpop label and not give BTS a chance. In addition, since BTS is the first group many folks think about when they think about kpop, they unfortunately also get saddled with all the "dark side of kpop" crap too. So separating them from kpop was intended to give BTS a fighting chance in the West. One can argue whether that was a good strategy or not but that was also a huge part of how this started. Not because fans wanted to strip them of their Koreaness, which some accused them of doing.

• :tea-bee::tea-bee::tea-bee::tea-bee::tea-bee:

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• I never thought I could ever respect this man more than I already have. He answered every question in the most poignant and revealing way. So eloquent. Gawd! I love this man! :red-heart::red-heart::red-heart:

Now, let us watch western media, antis and perhaps some bitter kpoppies find something amiss with this interview. It's the leader of BTS sharing his thoughts so there must be something faulty about it. There's gotta be. Right? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

In 3 , 2, 1 . . . . .

• He spoke facts!

I think to get exceptional results for your work, one has to go through a period of pain and suffering, , and then will they get their fruits. It all makes sense considering the history that Korea has. 'Strong men create good times, good times create weak men, weak men create hard times' It's important that when one gets the fruits of their labour e.g. Korean influence worldwide, that one doesn't get complacent(Become weak men)

I would argue, to some extent the western world is going through their complacent period, where people expect to have everything handed to them in a silver platter. 'I will do such and such because it feels good', Too many feelings, not enough logic.

Hard work and sacrifice is essential in getting good results, and certain segment of K-pop fans/Media refuse to understand that.

• Damn, my respect for him has skyrocketed right now. He said everything I was thinking. Like it is so fucking weird seeing balding overweight redditors who haven't washed in ages go "damn, Korea work life balance is so so bad". Like dude, if you spend your entire day on reddit, it is your work life balance that is the problem.

• Talking as someone who took a lot from Black people's culture to profit within a system financed by white colonizers . His hands aren't clean either

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The second part of your comment is a moot point if you speak English but don't live in the UK. Are you too trying to make a profit to make ends meet or do you still live with your mom?

• Love this. LOVE it. This is why i love RM.

Everytime i read entitled narcissistic, neocolonial Western weirdos on TW, i literally feel like fainting in agony.

Newsflash numbnuts, ALL YOUR FAVE WESTERN POP ACTS ARE ALSO PREFABRICATED AND MANUFACTURED. Hollywood, the entire US media industry, they are the pioneers, the world leaders in manufacturing celebrities, our country pretty much INVENTED celebrity culture including music culture.

We have made TRILLIONS, UNTOLD TRILLIONS on manufacturing pop acts for DECADES, ever since the Golden Era of American pop ended in the 80s. Pop music is a literal product now, mindless 2.7 minute commercials created by soulless computers by chili dog nerds who have never picked up an instrument in their entire lives. The Hot 100 are not works of art, they are COMMERCIALs, ADS for the act's branding. Bad Bunny, Ariana, Drake, Lil Drip, Lil Dizzy, Lil Dolla, etc etc etc, there is not an OUNCE of real artistic merit in any of their current stuff.

When rocknroll died, when the last great rocknroll and metal bands faded away in the early 90s, so did any semblance of musicality and real artistry in American pop. You can thank Nirvana and the 90s grunge trash for that. The only true musicians left in local pop that i know of are Swift and Rodrigo.

At least most Kpop idols actually put out something artistic in the form of synchronized dance. Even if they cant sing or rap, almost all of them can dance and more importantly put out a visual performance that will please and entertain and sometimes stun you. And then there are those who CAN sing or rap at a decent level, and a select few who can do it at high levels.

And the songs. Kpop songs actually involve REAL MUSIC, REAL CHORDS, REAL PROGRESSIONS. They're not simple mindless stripped down noise with the same melody repeated 8 million times. You actually get a LOT crammed into those 3 minutes. Two real verses including a rap verse, a different prechorus, the chorus, sometimes even a post chorus, a dance break, a bridge, and an outro. A Kpop song is typically the equivalent of 2 or 3 local songs in terms of musical complexity.

And dont even get me started on the colonial stuff. That's a whole nother rant that involves hard truths most SJWs on TW wont want to hear (i'm talking the ones that scream CA every two seconds). Ive ranted about it several times before but i am game to rant about it again lol.

• My english is shit, so correct me if im wrong.

He just say deshumanization is one of the things that makes Kpop special? ;judgingpepe:

BTW, agree of what he said about The Beatles, they cant compare with them. :nob:

If you read it, that was a two part answer. The full two parts are here:

FrCQpKfWIAIF3qK?format=jpg&name=large

In context of both parts of the answer, he agrees because the hard work to be in a group is done at a young age and by that sheer fact, does not allow young people to explore their "individuality" as much as they would outside of this industry. It's hard work and he acknowledges that the work needed to be a successful group can stifle that and thus be dehumanizing.

• The only thing this guy did was dismiss the very real issues that needed to be addressed regarding Koreans overworking themselves. It is unacceptable to simply brush off these concerns, as they have serious consequences for the well-being of individuals and society as a whole. By claiming, “That’s just how things get done" this individual demonstrated how dismissive he is on this topic.

Moreover, it is deeply troubling that there are efforts to push people to work 69 hours a week by the new government, despite the fact that longer hours do not necessarily increase efficiency or productivity. In fact, overworking has been linked to a variety of negative health outcomes, including chronic stress, depression, and even heart disease.

It is clear that the work culture and economy in Korea are already causing problems for young people, leading to a persistent decline in birth rate. This is a complex issue that requires thoughtful consideration and meaningful action. Rather than simply dismissing the concerns of those who are suffering, we must work to create a society in which people can thrive both personally and professionally.

Don’t get me started when we add in the fact KPOP is pushing for more minors to be in groups. Making the statement, “That’s just how things get done.” Even more fucking stupid.

• The only thing this guy did was dismiss the very real issues that needed to be addressed regarding Koreans overworking themselves. It is unacceptable to simply brush off these concerns, as they have serious consequences for the well-being of individuals and society as a whole. By claiming, “That’s just how things get done" this individual demonstrated how dismissive he is on this topic.

Moreover, it is deeply troubling that there are efforts to push people to work 69 hours a week by the new government, despite the fact that longer hours do not necessarily increase efficiency or productivity. In fact, overworking has been linked to a variety of negative health outcomes, including chronic stress, depression, and even heart disease.

It is clear that the work culture and economy in Korea are already causing problems for young people, leading to a persistent decline in birth rate. This is a complex issue that requires thoughtful consideration and meaningful action. Rather than simply dismissing the concerns of those who are suffering, we must work to create a society in which people can thrive both personally and professionally.

Don’t get me started when we add in the fact KPOP is pushing for more minors to be in groups. Making the statement, “That’s just how things get done.” Even more fucking stupid.

Tell me you have low intellect without telling me you have low intellect. Ain't nowhere in this very long interview is he dismissive of Koreans overworking themselves. The only question that he references "that's just how things get done" is in regards to the west moral faux superiority whenever they want to talk about the "dark side of kpop" as if they weren't being the ones that colonized nations and enslaving people. Now those affected by colonization have to work x7000 much harder to dig themselves out of that mess. He even makes a reference that it was just 70 years ago that they didn't even have all that they have now but thanks to the "grandparents" the people who paved the way with making Korea what it is today, at least in the music industry, that all of this success kpop is seeing is possible and it didn't just come by not doing anything like an analogy to the west. (you can even incur that since all the west "hard work" was stealing other nations resources, SK are battling the odds as a tiny ass nation of 50M people)

But that's what antis like you do. You inject whatever perceived issue you think BTS can get flack for when this whole article has been about his journey, the kpop industry, his music and his future. Let your favs, whoever that might be, play superheroes and tackle this injustice you just adopted and stop expecting BTS to play politicians. They're musicians. It's like you're being purposely obtuse when seeing the questions he was asked too and not one of them was about that topic at all.

• Tell me you have low intellect without telling me you have low intellect. Ain't nowhere in this very long interview is he dismissive of Koreans overworking themselves. The only question that he references "that's just how things get done" is in regards to the west moral faux superiority whenever they want to talk about the "dark side of kpop" as if they weren't being the ones that colonized nations and enslaving people. Now those affected by colonization have to work x7000 much harder to dig themselves out of that mess. He even makes a reference that it was just 70 years ago that they didn't even have all that they have now but thanks to the "grandparents" the people who paved the way with making Korea what it is today, at least in the music industry, that all of this success kpop is seeing is possible and it didn't just come by not doing anything like an analogy to the west. (you can even incur that since all the west "hard work" was stealing other nations resources, SK are battling the odds as a tiny ass nation of 50M people)

But that's what antis like you do. You inject whatever perceived issue you think BTS can get flack for when this whole article has been about his journey, the kpop industry, his music and his future. Let your favs, whoever that might be, play superheroes and tackle this injustice you just adopted and stop expecting BTS to play politicians. They're musicians. It's like you're being purposely obtuse when seeing the questions he was asked too and not one of them was about that topic at all.

My comment is only referring to the interviewer's question about whether upholding perfection, overstraining, and youth are cultural traits in Korea. I then took the time to critique how these same values lead to negative outcomes.

The dismissive phrase "that's just how things get done" is problematic in the context of Korean society, not simply the industry. It shows a disregard for the serious issues that Koreans face on a daily basis due to conformity to established values.

For example, the issue of overworking is a result of these values. Recent discussions have focused on increasing the workweek to 69 hours, despite evidence that longer work hours do not necessarily lead to increased productivity.

The promotion of Kpop idols who are minors is another example of the problematic nature of this phrase. Simply accepting the status quo and conforming to a system that is detrimental to one's mental and physical well-being is not a sustainable solution.

He gave a good explanation for why Koreans are like this, given their history. But the solution of simply accepting it is problematic and was the POINT of my first comment.

Two things can be mutually exclusive. It’s perfectly fair for him to say that Westeners are not interacting with Korea within its socio-political context and the questions are often patronising and don’t consider the impacts of colonisation.

But it’s also fµcked up to say that overwork is how progress is made no matter how much of a strain it causes the native. Which once again was the point of my fucking comment. The solution he gave to their history is problematic in 2023. Do I need to baby feed you this.

• My first comment was addressing his viewpoint regarding the SOLUTION to South Korea's history. As previously mentioned, RM in question provided a valid explanation as to WHY Koreans feel compelled to uphold cultural values of perfection and overstraining themselves. It is a FACT that they rose from humble beginnings and had to build themselves up.

Nevertheless, it is undeniable that Koreans overworking themselves is an issue. It is possible for two things to be true simultaneously: that Westerners demonstrate orientalist tendencies and fail to recognize the effects of colonization, AND that the method by which Korea has dealt with this has, to a certain extent, normalized behaviors that are detrimental, such as excessive work. This is why I pointed out that the individual's assertion, "That's just how things get done," is both harmful since it serves to uphold a system that promotes problematic behavior.

Kpop fans wanting to paint any critique of their faves as being a hater is laughable. And all those reaction to my first comment showcase the issue with fans.

• External Content www.youtube.com

External Content www.youtube.com

Super surprised by this post but yet also still eye opening. When I watched Burn the Stage a month or so after it first came out, I started to do my own digging and view various contents to see what it was really like behind the scenes.

Although I'm not the biggest fan I once was of kpop and often take breaks away from it and the communities itself, every industry has things they can improve on. Even if we don't truly admit it to ourselves.

Even if the topics are something we don't want to talk about and focus on only the positives, I think this interview is something that can open up this conversation despite the fact if it isn't something we always want to hear

• This thread contains 36 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!