It Seems The TOP 4th Gen Groups Will Chart On The Hot 100, So It Will Be The Normalized Goal For Every Comeback Now

• I read someone else's thread basically saying who's gonna chart on the Hot 100 next after NewJeans and possibly TXT.

It made me realize that its not gonna be as special anymore...at least TO ME, if multiple Top 4th gen groups start making it their goal every comeback and chart on there between #100-#80.

I think NOW the new thing will be if they can break into the Top 50 on the Hot 100, so that way it can be more significant.

But yeah I definitely see groups like Stray Kids who have the fan base power, and possibly even Enhypen, also Le sserafim and Babymonster fanbases to hit somewhere in the 90s each comeback.

So yeah the Top 50 gonna be the *new* challenge now :iconpepe:

• tokyo-potato

Changed the title of the thread from “It Seems The TOP 4th Gen Groups Will Chart On The Hot 100, So It Will Be Normalized” to “It Seems The TOP 4th Gen Groups Will Chart On The Hot 100, So It Will Be The Normalized Goal For Every Comeback Now”.
  • I agree.

It's funny, folks were saying Kpop has peaked since back in 2019 when i first got into it. All Kpop has done since then is become a global phenomenon, exploding with digital and physical accomplishments across every metric.

Kpop will never be as mainstream as local songs. It will always be niche in NA, SA and Europe. There will always be language barriers, racial barriers. But despite this, nobody could have predicted what has happened over the past 4 years.

Imagine a music genre comprised of literal boyband music sung in Korglish by rando Koreans 5000 miles away somehow carving out regular appearances in the Hot 100. It was unthinkable when i was a kid lol, when the only Asian role models in entertainment were Connie Chung, Mr Miyagi and Jackie Chan.

Folks probably thought the days of Hot 100 appearances by Kpop would be over with BTS on hiatus and BP potentially winding down. But we've seen Twice enter it while in the twilight of their careers, with SKZ, TXT, and New Jeans all knocking on the door or busting it completely down. Lesserafim and Ive are darkhorse candidates (neither are targeted towards the US but they could sneak in), and i bet there will be a couple names nobody could have predicted, maybe that Japanese YG group that sings the Shooting Star bop. Maybe even Baemon if they come out swinging with an English song.

• Not particularly. It’s not like people are expecting every group to chart or do well in Japan or China. Groups that are popular in these countries will chart there. It’s not the be all end all.

I'm just speaking for the Top 4th gen groups fandoms.

Especially STAYs for Stray Kids next comeback in a couple months, and i can see ENGENEs tryna stream hard and purchase for Enhypen their next comeback in a few months too.

And obviously if they make it on the Hot 100 this following comeback, they gonna try again each time, to make sure their group has the clout and attention from it.

That's why I said its gonna be normalized for every comeback now, like how it is for BTS and BlackPink... just not charting as high as them...and thats IF these groups lucky enough to make it on each comeback.

• MOAs didn't have a goal of getting onto the Hot 100 when we made goals for the comeback. We only started pushing for it once we saw that TXT got more than 500k streams on US Spotify in the first day. Republic only gave us a digital single on Day 5 of the tracking week. So comparing TXT's possible entry to NewJeans (who have been charting on US Spotify for multiple weeks and have gone super viral on tiktok) isn't apt in my opinion.

Though I do agree that other 4th gen fandoms will be pushing for the Hot 100 now after seeing all the hype surrounding both groups at the moment.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• MOAs didn't have a goal of getting onto the Hot 100 when we made goals for the comeback. We only started pushing for it once we saw that TXT got more than 500k streams on US Spotify in the first day. Republic only gave us a digital single on Day 5 of the tracking week. So comparing TXT's possible entry to NewJeans (who have been charting on US Spotify for multiple weeks and have gone super viral on tiktok) isn't apt in my opinion.

Though I do agree that other 4th gen fandoms will be pushing for the Hot 100 now after seeing all the hype surrounding both groups at the moment.

I wasn't comparing TXT possible entry to NewJeans lol.

If anything I been rooting for them.. I even made a separate thread saying how I'm proud they even got a prediction etc.

I was just speaking for the other 4th gen groups who gonna try to ease they way in there and get their faves to chart after seeing NJ and tubatu (which I pray they make it).

Just like the other 4th gen boy groups got confident after seeing TXT do well on Korean charts.

But yeah I felt since others gonna try to hop on and do it, it won't feel as special to me.

Where as before it seemed like something exclusive... I mean it still is, but u know what I mean

• I think so, because now coming #1 in the charts in Korea is more and more irrelevant, given that

1. the Korean market in terms of revenue is peanuts when compared to the international market

2. the greater focus of the successful groups on the international market

3. the bigger groups do minimal promotions in Korea now

• It's funny, folks were saying Kpop has peaked since back in 2019 when i first got into it. All Kpop has done since then is become a global phenomenon, exploding with digital and physical accomplishments across every metric.

You are confusing peak with growth. Even that isn't 100% true because there are kpop groups which are above current the kpop hype. Peak is the "single highest point". It doesn't matter if only one artist did it. That is still the peak.

What is the highest position of kpop in hot 100? Dynamite

What is the highest sales in kpop? MOTS 7

What is the peak of kpop on yt? Gangnam style

What is the peak of kpop in Spotify? Dynamite

Until some surpasses these, these will remain the peak of kpop.

• I'm just speaking for the Top 4th gen groups fandoms.

That's why I said its gonna be normalized for every comeback now, like how it is for BTS and BlackPink... just not charting as high as them...and thats IF these groups lucky enough to make it on each comeback.

Just so you know, Blackpink’s highest BBHot100 is at 13, which was Ice-cream, the collab with Selena Gomez. Their other songs are in the range of 20 and below.

25568877-0BDC-453B-BC34-979DA536C12D.jpg

BTS got 6 different songs (Dynamite, Life Goes On, Butter, Permission to Dance, My Universe and Savage Love) at number 1. Even Fake Love, a 2018 Korean song was at 10, On at 4, Boy with Luv 8 etc. All songs from BE charted on the Hot100 except the skit. BTS even managed to chart a Japanese release at 81. They are not the same level. I’m not downplaying BP, just bringing reality check here.

Spoiler

DC545378-165A-4521-8BC6-589BA208F0EA.jpg

ABD4F339-9F00-4465-854B-225F897A52D4.jpg

D7533F65-C970-402C-921B-3EEEC361AB4E.jpg

4C8ACF0D-EB95-4911-98D8-FC7B30698052.jpg

So let’s see if the fourth gen can at least get on Blackpink’s level first. I think newjeans (if their trajectory is constant) will definitely get to top 20.. probably in a year or two? I personally would love for Les serafim to chart, even at the lower number.

ps - I tried to hide the chart as spoiler but it didn’t work!! It’s kinda hard with phones, so sorry!! Tried 3 times and have given up.

• Kpop's continued growth is impressive but these milestone discussion are so uninteresting. Who even cares which group will be the first to break into the top 50... I get wanting your fave to do well but these specific milestones and who has a chance to reach it one and a half months before the rest is mind numbingly dull

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!