Should Somi join Teddy's new group?

• The Black Label announced that they are looking for one more member for their first group (produced by Blackpink's producer, Teddy) and are holding international auditions.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Assuming Somi would want to join Teddy's next group, would it be a good idea?

TLDR:

Basically, Somi would be trading some freedom for the chance that the group could get as big or bigger than Blackpink so she could use that fame to increase her brand-deal $$$ and serve as a springboard for her solo career while in the group and after disbandment/hiatus.

Pros:

- definitely give her a boost in popularity because kpop fans care way more about groups and group competition/drama

- Somi would give the group even more hype because of her popularity and the surprise that she'll be in a permanent group for the first time

- Somi's solo work would directly support the group, and the group would directly support Somi (compared to if Somi remained solo)

- would get more music and other content because even BP gets more than Somi

- Teddy would be more likely to release content at a reasonable rate if he is producing for 2 groups instead of 2 groups + 1 solo

Cons:

- would be stuck in a GG contract for 7 years

- would have less solo music (but the solo brand deals would probably stay the same or even improve)

- less creative freedom, except for occasional solos

Other:

- the group would need a small number of excellent members that could all be centers to avoid a MissA situation (4-5, including Somi), but that's probably what they have planned anyway. 4 would be best because there would be no center.

- Somi is a bit old (21) considering the audition is looking for 18 or younger, but 2NE1 had Minzy (15) and Dara (25) at debut

- I'm assuming the other members would also get solo work, like BP

The Five Horsemen Of The Apocalypse
    BP2.jpg Very-Very-Very-Smaller.gif BP1.jpg

Edited 2 times, last by hammerstan ().

• isn't that like admitting that you are happy with releasing one song in a year?

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• No way, Somi is not joining that group, lol, and I doubt she wants to.

I mean, yes it would definitely boost the group's recognition, but what benefit would it be to Somi?

Yes, she would get more support from GG stans, but isn't the whole point of being in a group to help and support your solo activities?

Somi already has brand recognition and a stable solo career, so yeah, I don't see it happening.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• how if teddy goign to produce for somi and a GG

somi gonna be getting commercial jingles for life

I've meant it in a way that

maybe he will let her go to other agency

how long her contract is, do we know?

• No. Don't want her in a group. She's better as a solo artist. I love her current music direction and her concept fits her perfectly. Why risk that for a group

Plus it'd be really awkward to debut an idol with 6+ years of experience and an already successful career together with rookies.

It worked fine with Sakura in Le Sserafim, and this last member that they are looking for would be like Eunchae.

• There's no reason for her to join a group she's successful as she is on her own

It would be very difficult if Teddy wants to make the group at least as big as Blackpink, and Somi would help a lot. Especially in the English-speaking countries. Teddy could guarantee big budgets and promotions and occasional solo songs after the first year to entice Somi.

• It would be very difficult if Teddy wants to make the group at least as big as Blackpink, and Somi would help a lot. Especially in the English-speaking countries. Teddy could guarantee big budgets and promotions and occasional solo songs after the first year to entice Somi.

I agree it would give the group more support by both Koreans and international fans. But like other people said, it seems more beneficial to the group than to Somi.

Cause while the group and Somi will both boost each other, why wouldn't Somi prefer to just grow by releasing new solo songs? Rather than the whole 7 year commitment of joining a girl group to promote her solo career in a roundabout way

Ik you said we don't know what she is thinking but it doesn't seem like a good decision for her on the business side either. Only for the group

• I dont think you understand what I said. I am saying nobody should audition or join Teddy's group precisely because they never release anything are jobless most of the time.

My point is that Somi is already signed to the label and getting even less comebacks than the group would get. Joining the group would give her more comebacks.

YG/TBL are bad with comebacks but great with brand deals. Somi probably gets like 80-90% of her income from brand deals so it would be a bad idea to leave the label, if that's what you are suggesting.

• Why would she join a group when she basically left JYP to be solo? How does this make sense to any Somi fan?

People just assume she left to go solo. Somi never said that.

She might have left JYP because she would have lost all her solo deals if she joined Itzy. That's how JYP operates, but it is not how Teddy operates. Teddy gets is group artists as many solo deals as he can. Just look at Blackpink.

That might be why she joined TBL. Going solo was the only option since the company didn't have trainees that were ready, until now. That's actually what she said when asked:

External Content youtu.be

• I agree it would give the group more support by both Koreans and international fans. But like other people said, it seems more beneficial to the group than to Somi.

Cause while the group and Somi will both boost each other, why wouldn't Somi prefer to just grow by releasing new solo songs? Rather than the whole 7 year commitment of joining a girl group to promote her solo career in a roundabout way

Ik you said we don't know what she is thinking but it doesn't seem like a good decision for her on the business side either. Only for the group

I agree, the 7-year contract is the biggest negative. She might be able to reduce it to 5 years, but that's still a major commitment.

Basically, Somi would be trading some freedom for the chance that the group could get as big or bigger than Blackpink and use that fame to increase her brand-deal $$$ and serve as a springboard for her solo career while in the group and after disbandment/hiatus.

• She might think it's her best shot at making Blackpink money. Somi makes a lot, but BP members make way more.

Why would she care to do that? If she's making great money and has to do even less than BP members to do it?

"Sure you're a Millionaire, but why not be an even bigger millionaire... but also a ton more work."

• Well, either way she's too established to go into a group. The examples used here were already GG members, I don't see a lot of her solo fans being happy with her going into an unknown group. She'd eclipse them hard. Somi and friends.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
    mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.
    ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

• She already has a big brand as a solo artist and has been promoting solo for a while. I think it would be strange to add her into a group when she’s doing well as a solo artist. And I don’t think any of the other members would be near her in age, so there’s that too.

TWICE

30glhdbncad91.gif

• She already has a big brand as a solo artist and has been promoting solo for a while. I think it would be strange to add her into a group when she’s doing well as a solo artist. And I don’t think any of the other members would be near her in age, so there’s that too.

Doesn't seem to be an issue for Sakura, and Sakura is 3 years older than Somi.

• Well, either way she's too established to go into a group. The examples used here were already GG members, I don't see a lot of her solo fans being happy with her going into an unknown group. She'd eclipse them hard. Somi and friends.

If they are good enough, Somi wouldn't overshadow them. Like as good or better than BP members, which is possible with the growth of kpop attracting more trainees, especially to Blackpink's producer. The audition announcement has almost 200K views in less than a week, and TBL has already scouted big names like Ella Gross.

If I was Somi I would wait until almost all the members have been selected and only consider joining if the group has a good chance of blowing up. Somi has the unusual advantage that she can see all the members before joining.

• Why would she go back to being in a group when she’s killing it as a soloist? Makes 0 sense.

Somi is more likely to break into the worldwide mainstream in a group than as a solo, at least at first. The international solo market is way more competitive, and groups are kpop's strength.

There have been no kpop soloists that have even come close to worldwide stardom, except for Psy's meme song which doesn't really count. Maybe Somi could be the first, but hitting that peak is more likely starting out in a group.

• no if she would have redebuted as a group member and not a soloist that's fine but now that she's gone solo it's better for her to remain a soloist

• It worked fine with Sakura in Le Sserafim, and this last member that they are looking for would be like Eunchae.

Let's say it did work, BL debuts an amazing lineup, Somi has still no reason to want to be in a group. Black Label's new girl group isn't guaranteed success the same way LSFM or Itzy were. Somi have to give up a lot of things she clearly value about her career for potentially very little gain.

Sakura's situation is quite different from Somi's too.

Sakura is a veteran idol but not a veteran kpop idol. If Sakura wanted to return to Japan and have a successful career over there she easily could have but instead she decided to continue as a kpop idol. To expand her popularity she needed to be in a kpop group. Jpop doesn't have the same international reach as kpop and successful foreign kpop soloists are basically unheard of. She needed the group to reach her goal. (So much respect for Sakura. She's made so many smart, bold moves for her career and each time she's aced it.)

Somi debuted as a kpop idol over 6 years ago and has established herself as a solo artist since then. Going back to being in a group after that is close to unheard of and has no real advantage for Somi. She's successful, has a lot of freedom and probably earns a fair bit of money. If she wanted to be in a group she would have stayed in JYP and debuted with Itzy. She choose not to and clearly values a more independent career.

• Black Label's new girl group isn't guaranteed success the same way LSFM or Itzy were.

A TBL/YG group headed by Teddy has more guaranteed success than LSFM did, and probably even a JYP GG. 2NE1 was one of the biggest 2nd gen GG and Blackpink is the biggest GG by far (out of all gens), and both had Teddy as the main producer. Not sure why you think otherwise.

Going back to being in a group after that is close to unheard of

Surprising people generates hype and keeps people engaged. It's a good thing.

and has no real advantage for Somi.

Somi as part of the group would be more likely to reach Blackpink+ levels of international fame, especially in the West, because there is way more competition for soloists and kpop's strength is groups. Only BP and BTS are household names in the West, except for Psy, but that was meme fame. Maybe Somi could be the first real worldwide solo kpop star, but the evidence suggests that starting in a group is much more likely to lead to that kind of success.

If she wanted to be in a group she would have stayed in JYP and debuted with Itzy. She choose not to and clearly values a more independent career.

Somi probably didn't want to be in Itzy because she would have lost all her solo deals (just look at Twice at that time). It would have been a terrible financial decision. Teddy's groups clearly don't have that problem. Each BP member gets tons of solo deals.

Maybe Somi values independence more than being in a group, but the financial loss was definitely a huge issue.

• This thread contains 9 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!