Good bside is useless when the Title Track is meh

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is one of the example why title track is important. Non fans will not bother to listen to the bside if the supposed face of the album is weak and not good. I only listen to the bside from the groups that I not stan when their title track is good. Ive for example, they has quite mid bside for me but their title track is so strong which makes most people didn't give a second doubt with their discography as the whole. And here Kep1er with their fans said that they has great bsides, but with that kind of TT, most non fans would never check the bside and the bad music stamp will always following them.

In conclusion, it's the company fault for not giving proper thought in choosing the TT. You can't expect non fans to check on your faves non promoted songs if they dislike the main song. It's what they promoted to people not the bside. When the TT is good and people craving for more, then they will search for the bside themselves, it's how its work. I like to put RV as example of the group that I don't stan but I liesten to their bside because the TT is really good. That's how good TT do to non fans.

• think in a general sense, regardless of title track quality, non-fans aren’t likely to listen to b-sides.

But ya, if you only consume titles, naturally it won’t give you a good impression if the title is bad

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• This is one of the example why title track is important. Non fans will not bother to listen to the bside if the supposed face of the album is weak and not good.

Personally I always try to listen to the whole album and I much more often prefer the b sides than the title tracks, my favs or not. I know that I am part of a minority but we also exist ;(

it takes a lot of effort to listen all the bsides

You only need to press "play" :leaving-bee:

• And some groups are famous for their b-sides : Red velvet, twice, le sserafim.

Girl group with the most Uls on their b side in Korea are 2NE1 and Mamamoo. Blackpink also has really good numbers despite the low number of songs they have. And the 4th gen group with the most Uls is (G)I-DLE and groups that started this year it's clearly newjeans that stands out.

Twice and Lesserafim have nothing to do in this discussion :check-bee:

• yes I think B-sides don't matter unless it's a promoted b-side or has a performance video that gets significant attention

There are some B-sides that are brought up a lot in conversations about the best bsides or best group's bsides (WJSN - Pantomime, Kep1er - MVSK, before queendom 2) this doesn't really make a significant amount of new fans though

• Personally I always try to listen to the whole album and I much more often prefer the b sides than the title tracks, my favs or not. I know that I am part of a minority but we also exist ;(

Hahaha, sorry for that. But for me, I listen to a lot of groups, I usually will just play random kpop playlist and if I like the song, I will check their group's album. There are 38277272 groups, it's impossible to check all their bside and the one with good TT will outshine the rest and seduce me to listen to their bside.

• Girl group with the most Uls on their b side in Korea are 2NE1 and Mamamoo. Blackpink also has really good numbers despite the low number of songs they have. And the 4th gen group with the most Uls is (G)I-DLE and groups that started this year it's clearly newjeans that stands out.

Twice - "b side restaurant" term used by Knetz

Le sserafim - Blue Flame/promoted bside + sour grapes seems like hot shit in English speaking communities although its nothing special...

• Girl group with the most Uls on their b side in Korea are 2NE1 and Mamamoo. Blackpink also has really good numbers despite the low number of songs they have. And the 4th gen group with the most Uls is (G)I-DLE and groups that started this year it's clearly newjeans that stands out.

Well it has nothing to do with chart success. You ask GG with the best discography and people will say RV, twice and LSRF, NJ too.

Sorry but I’ve never heard someone saying MAMAMOO has the best discography no matter how their songs do well in Korea.

And LSR has literally two bsides rising on melon despite being released six months ago and they did well on Spotify too.

Despite BP being the most GG with the biggest bsides, they aren’t praised that much overall

• Hahaha, sorry for that. But for me, I listen to a lot of groups, I usually will just play random kpop playlist and if I like the song, I will check their group's album. There are 38277272 groups, it's impossible to check all their bside and the one with good TT will outshine the rest and seduce me to listen to their bside.

Yes I know that the vast majority of people do that and that's why it's important to have a Title track that catches the attention of the public and that's also why SEO and playlisting are also very important these days.

• Well it has nothing to do with chart success. You ask GG with the best discography and people will say RV, twice and LSRF, NJ too.

I'll also ask people best vocalist and they'll answer me Jungkook, Rosé and Jihyo. I really don't care about opinion of Ifans which is especially very influenced by the popularity of the groups. :check-bee:

Sorry but I’ve never heard someone saying MAMAMOO has the best discography no matter how their songs do well in Korea.

I totally believe you. But what we often forget as international fans is that there are many songs and discography that are very popular in Korea rather than in the international fanbase because of the lyrics of the songs. The trends are very different on this subject between Korean and international fans. And the GP is also very diverse and encompasses different age groups. I had already said it but groups like Red Velvet have much older fans than a group like Blackpink for example.

115888-20211012-082130-jpg

• Honestly in kpop it doesn't matter. If people want to listen to the albums they will... otherwise they will only listen to the title tracks because they only watch MVs. If anything the issue isn't if you like the title track, it's that companies generally only promote one song from the album compared to western artists promoting multiple songs.

• think in a general sense, regardless of title track quality, non-fans aren’t likely to listen to b-sides.

I agree with this statement. Here I am, a ONCE who's listened to Twice's full discography more than a dozen times and can recognize any song within 5 seconds of playing...

And then there are others who are fans and don't bother to listen to any b-sides lol :pepe-shrug:

ღ Happy Birthday / 10.18.2005 ღ

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• I'll also ask people best vocalist and they'll answer me Jungkook, Rosé and Jihyo. I really don't care about opinion of Ifans which is especially very influenced by the popularity of the groups. :check-bee:

I totally believe you. But what we often forget as international fans is that there are many songs and discography that are very popular in Korea rather than in the international fanbase because of the lyrics of the songs. The trends are very different on this subject between Korean and international fans. And the GP is also very diverse and encompasses different age groups. I had already said it but groups like Red Velvet have much older fans than a group like Blackpink for example.

115888-20211012-082130-jpg

I'mma need glasses in order to see that :angryr:

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• I'mma need glasses in order to see that :angryr:

sorry i'm a failure:prisonerpepe:

you got the numbers and for more groups here

• I agree with this statement. Here I am, a ONCE who's listened to Twice's full discography more than a dozen times and can recognize any song within 5 seconds of playing...

And then there are others who are fans and don't bother to listen to any b-sides lol :pepe-shrug:

Yeah with girl groups in particular, usually the streams for b-sides just aren't as high as the title as usually fans are the main demographic checking out the b-sides. There are exceptions ofc...

meanwhile on the bg side, the streams for titles and b-sides can be a tad closer in numbers, but the main demographic checking out bgs are fans anyways, so it makes sense.

b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• sorry i'm a failure:prisonerpepe:

No worries! Very helpful, thanks :pathead-2::red-heart:

• Yeah with girl groups in particular, usually the streams for b-sides just aren't as high as the title as usually fans are the main demographic checking out the b-sides. There are exceptions ofc...

meanwhile on the bg side, the streams for titles and b-sides can be a tad closer in numbers, but the main demographic checking out bgs are fans anyways, so it makes sense.

Yeah, and it does make a lot of sense. B-sides are hardly promoted while title tracks are, of course, extremely promoted. That's why title tracks are classified as A-Sides (though they aren't typically called by it). I think that the highest level of b-side promotion is when they go on music shows to perform them like NewJeans Hype Boy, Twice Cry for Me, Blackpink Pretty Savage, etc.

Groups sometimes promote their b-sides for fans like special music videos (NMIXX Cool Rainbow, Twice Merry & Happy, NewJeans Cookie) but I feel like those are mostly for fans. If they do promote outside of those small things with big production then there really is effort to push them to GP audiences.

• Yeah, and it does make a lot of sense. B-sides are hardly promoted while title tracks are, of course, extremely promoted. That's why title tracks are classified as A-Sides (though they aren't typically called by it). I think that the highest level of b-side promotion is when they go on music shows to perform them like NewJeans Hype Boy, Twice Cry for Me, Blackpink Pretty Savage, etc.

Groups sometimes promote their b-sides for fans like special music videos (NMIXX Cool Rainbow, Twice Merry & Happy, NewJeans Cookie) but I feel like those are mostly for fans. If they do promote outside of those small things with big production then there really is effort to push them to GP audiences.

ah yeah, it's interesting that you mention newjeans because from what I remember, I think Hype Boy and Attention actually had higher streams than Cookie (feel free to correct me if I am wrong, this is based off of memory), but Newjeans filmed MV's for all the songs on their debut mini album and did performances for them. So since they went the extra mile in promoting their songs, it naturally translated into higher streams.

Perhaps we'd see something similar then if other groups promoted their b-sides this way, but filming mv's and doing performances for multiple songs is well... expensive. So like... yeah focusing on mainly one song is just very economical. When you put your eggs in one basket, naturally, you really want to nail it.

• sorry i'm a failure:prisonerpepe:

Jesus looking at this list the top 3 2nd Gen GG songs with most ULs are all Sistar they really are the digital queens of the 2nd Gen

:dancer-pepe::dancer-pepe:

• ah yeah, it's interesting that you mention newjeans because from what I remember, I think Hype Boy and Attention actually had higher streams than Cookie (feel free to correct me if I am wrong, this is based off of memory), but Newjeans filmed MV's for all the songs on their debut mini album and did performances for them. So since they went the extra mile in promoting their songs, it naturally translated into higher streams.

Perhaps we'd see something similar then if other groups promoted their b-sides this way, but filming mv's and doing performances for multiple songs is well... expensive. So like... yeah focusing on mainly one song is just very economical. When you put your eggs in one basket, naturally, you really want to nail it.

Yep! Both Hype Boy and Attention have more streams than Cookie (I also believe that Cookie was not performed on music shows which could be for *obvious* reasons that are still so revolting to me). That is very true. It's kind of crazy how much Hype Boy was promoted. It's almost on par with their title track and its catchiness and addictiveness in both the choreography and the song also helped with the popularity.

But you're exactly right. I believe that companies promote b-sides when there's a very strong likelihood that they'd become popular. That's probably the main reason why heavy b-side promotion is pretty rare. There are so much benefits to promoting your A-side more than any of your b-sides. And if there's no reason to promote a b-side then there's no reason. It's more profitable to put the money into the quality of the title tracks' promotion than b-sides in general. And you typically don't see groups getting more than one b-side per album being promoted, if any at all.

NewJeans is pretty special in this case, especially because every track in their 4-song debut album was promoted in some way, shape or form.

And at the same time, imagine how much more work that would be for the idols. Music show promotions with their title tracks are already nearly a full week. Imagine having to learn and perform that much choreography in that same week. And recording for music videos are probably the longest required hours. They stay up late nights and typically record these videos for a few days. As far as I know, they get like a day off between their recording time and then get back to it but it's still a lot. So I think it's pretty costly time and money wise.

• OOH I'm not sure about Mister but I think OMG Dolphin is the perfect example of a heavily promoted b-side. I think people often forget that this was never a title track (The title track was Dun Dun Dance, if I'm not mistaken)

The title was Nonstop actually

;judgingpepe:

Mister was a B-side too, of which I forgot what the title track actually was

:pepe-shame:

• Eh, I’m not sure how much it matters in Kpop. People wear it like such a badge of honor that they only listen to group x or group y or don’t listen to other Kpop or only listen to bg/gg, so whether or not you put the perfect tt or not doesn’t even seem to matter.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Yeah, and it does make a lot of sense. B-sides are hardly promoted while title tracks are, of course, extremely promoted. That's why title tracks are classified as A-Sides (though they aren't typically called by it). I think that the highest level of b-side promotion is when they go on music shows to perform them like NewJeans Hype Boy, Twice Cry for Me, Blackpink Pretty Savage, etc.

But, didn't Newjeans go with triple TT? Their only bside is just Hurt from what I know. Because of that, hype boy getting as much promotion as Attention. Cookie didn't get much promotion as they plan to because of the critism. They do the performance for all their 3 TT on music show if I'm not mistaken.

• nah i prefer album with great b sides and weak titles rather than one that has great title but that has bunch of filler songs, its album for a reason

and Ive has best b side My satisfaction

It's interesting. I want to agree at first for the groups that I stan but unfortunately having great TT is more important for their stability and longevity then having great bside. I'm not a success stan but this 4th gen is so scary, you fail to deliver once then you out especially for gg. For the bg, it's probably not that severe because of the loyal fandom.

• If you have an above average interest for music (and not just for promotions and all the media circus that comes with a new release) then you have to check the b-sides in order to know whether an album is good.

And that's also how you get the best surprises!

Since OP is about Kep1er, well, for all the crap We Fresh got at release, the album Troubleshooter is among the best this year imo. Even if you didn't like the title track and WA DA DA, Lion Tamer + Downtown + Dreams is one hell of a combo.

• But, didn't Newjeans go with triple TT? Their only bside is just Hurt from what I know. Because of that, hype boy getting as much promotion as Attention. Cookie didn't get much promotion as they plan to because of the critism. They do the performance for all their 3 TT on music show if I'm not mistaken.

3 A-sides? I haven't heard of that before...

But I think it's possible to have an extremely promoted B-side too. But now that you mentioned it, it seems like I'm not completely sure now :/

• It's interesting. I want to agree at first for the groups that I stan but unfortunately having great TT is more important for their stability and longevity then having great bside. I'm not a success stan but this 4th gen is so scary, you fail to deliver once then you out especially for gg. For the bg, it's probably not that severe because of the loyal fandom.

its more like if you are not from big 3/4 label u can't have miss because there's no second chance

big 3/4 label groups have every means to bounce back whether its gg or bg. Also taste is subjective and things unpredictable, for example i would never choose song like sneakers as title track but it was the best charting itzy song in a while

• 3 A-sides? I haven't heard of that before...

But I think it's possible to have an extremely promoted B-side too. But now that you mentioned it, it seems like I'm not completely sure now :/

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'm on Twitter and it's well known there that Nj has debuted with 3 TT.

• External Content twitter.com

I'm on Twitter and it's well known there that Nj has debuted with 3 TT.

Well, that changes a lot! Thanks for this <3

• This thread contains 11 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!