About idols apologizing for problematic things they did...

• Official Post

... when would be a good time for fans to "let it go" or "move on" from these things? :ak_sana_confused:

I'm just curious about how idols messed up really badly in the past, and yet they're still getting flack for it a decade later after they've apologized and learned from their dumb mistakes. But then, since they still get hate for it, what do fans even want these idols to do about it 10 years later? Apologize again? But then I've seen some fans say just because they did it, they should still be hated for it, even if they apologized for it. So should they have not apologized for their wrongful actions knowing people will never let go of it and continue to drag them for it decades later? It's more of a damned if you do and damned if you don't, situation. :ak_gyurismh:

What do you guys think about it? What would you do if you were in their shoes? How would you feel if someone kept crucifying you for something immature, ignorant and dumb you did in the past, even if you've apologized for it and made up for your bad decisions? Would you give yourself a chance to change for good or continue to live up to the accusations that people place on you? :ak_remi_it:

And as always,

Discuss

:ak_hyunjinnod:

• "But then, since they still get hate for it, what do fans even want these idols to do about it 10 years later? Apologize again? "

They're not fans, just haters. And I believe a fan can turn into a hater, so if they're still mad at something their idol did years ago (I'm mostly referring to "forgivable" stuff, not racism, se**al assault, or anything of the sort), they're are haters.

• Everyone probably did something dumb when they were young.

And I'm like so what idols need to be like "hi it's been one day since my debut so here is a list of problematic things I have done when I was young so that I can apologise for all these mistakes before you catch or expose me in future I dont expect anyone to accept my apology but I will take time to repent"

Because if anything happens in future people will just be like "he/she apologised because he/she got caught, if they were sorry they should have apologised from the start right?"

So lesson for the day, tldr is ...... deng deng deng

Apologise for every stupid thing right after you debut so as to self cancel yourself and destroy your career before it even start and then proceed to leave the group and retire from the entertainment industry GGEZ because you never know if in future you might get cancelled for stealing a pen from a classmate

• Official Post

People are like "wE aLl mAkE mIstAkEs" but there's a certain point where the action done isn't just "a mistake", and should be at least common knowledge not to do. Any apology will NOT erase whatever the said idol has done.

And anyway, if they apologize then whatever. People are allowed to not accept their apology and you shouldn't harass those who don't and vice versa. They should show that they've changed through their actions and try to avoid doing it again.

And if there are people still dragging it on after several apologies then they're simply antis.

• There's some things that can't really be resolved by just an apology.

And I don't think bullying is a mistake you may have done because you are young. You have to be a shitty person to bully someone. Bullying is not a thing that happened once, but repetedly, if something is done repetedly you can't call that a mistake anymore. Being young doesn't excuse everything.

• I like to believe that people can change and trying to be a better person after making mistakes. It doesn't matter If it's people I like or others. I'm not a moral judge to determinate who is being genuine and who doesn't. It's on their own and how they will behave in the future that will show that.

All we can do is giving at least an opportunity, because It was important for me to grow when it was given to me after I was problematic in the past.

• Official Post

There's some things that can't really be resolved by just an apology.

And I don't think bullying is a mistake you may have done because you are young. You have to be a shitty person to bully someone. Bullying is not a thing that happened once, but repetedly, if something is done repetedly you can't call that a mistake anymore. Being young doesn't excuse everything.

Ok what if said idol apologized for a 1-time thing, and it was really bad. Say it was 8 years ago, and they've already made up for their mistakes and improved themselves for the better. Would you be willing to let something like this go?

• How would you feel if someone kept crucifying you for something immature, ignorant and dumb you did in the past,

Well some users did it here with me, always mentioned what I did in OH ( can’t even remember 80% of it)

What I think ? “ Thank you for letting me live rent free in your head” :D

No for real, I don’t get how some people can be so obsessed with what others did in the past, especially if that someone doesn’t know they even exist or care about them. You are only stressing yourself out for no reason lol. Let it go :blowing-kiss:

• It really depends on the 'subject matter' and how remorseful the idol is.

Take Onew's case for example, that is something that definitely should be let go for the facts and things surrounding it.

If it's something like racism or bullying your other idol members, yeah that I'm not so sure about.

• Ok what if said idol apologized for a 1-time thing, and it was really bad. Say it was 8 years ago, and they've already made up for their mistakes and improved themselves for the better. Would you be willing to let something like this go?

It depend of what is the one time thing. I'm fine as long as there's no victims.

And if there's a victim of this one time thing, if the victim accept the apology then I'm no one to judge. But if the victim doesn't accept the apology then again it depend of what was the "mistake".

• Official Post

It really depends on the 'subject matter' and how remorseful the idol is.

Take Onew's case for example, that is something that definitely should be let go for the facts and things surrounding it.

If it's something like racism or bullying your other idol members, yeah that I'm not so sure about.

Hmm interesting take. I agree it depends case by case.

• So long as someone hasn’t done something actually criminal, they deserve to be given the chance to prove that their behaviour or attitude has changed.

I feel like - *in general* - a lot of the people who don’t feel this way are often fairly young and don’t realise quite how much/how many times they are going to change through life, or how easy it is to do stupid things you regret that are otherwise totally out of character.

• Hmm interesting take. I agree it depends case by case.

Yeah there is no cookie cutter answer for things like this as there are too many variables. An idol can apologize all they want but do they mean it? Some things an apology can't fix in the eyes of the public, which we even see with Western stars.

• So what if they're regretful, and still people never get over it and continue to hate them for it?

The hated person will need to live with it, that's nothing to be done. That's a point of being a public person that sucks hard. I can only state in what I believe and my advices:

I advice people who hates public persons to just stop supporting them in any way AKA cancelling them for good. I cancelled many singers myself and still hating them to date, just avoid sending hate messages on SNS is not good whether the person is guilty or not

• I think everybody should be given a chance to redeem themselves and change for the better. Anything less wouldn't be humane.

• Those people don't really want to make a positive change in the world, they only want to look cool fighting for the good cause.

If you actually do care about making a positive chsnge6, you'd feel proud of people who acknowledge their mistakes and better themselves. If you don't care about their apology and growth then maybe you're just a hateful narcissist.

Of course I'm not talking about serious issues like committing actual crimes (sexual harassment, assault, murder etc)

• well ive said many stupid things a few years ago and now i laugh about it - im still young but ive matured, educated myself on many topics and became more sympathetic. in my opinion it depends on how big the problem is, sometimes an apology isnt enough, but overall idols are also humans, theyre being watched all the time, so its good to be objective. ive seen someone make a whole ass tiktok about everything some kpop groups have done and for me its just ridiculous, hold your faves accountable and move on, enjoy the music, youre not their mother

• Shindong’s fat shaming comments. It was years ago and he apologised but it still gets brought up. It pisses me off. Why can’t fans leave things in the past? The same with Siwon’s anti gay sentiments. It seems to me double standards, when it’s a group like SJ, everybody jumps on the hate bandwagon, but when it’s a more popular group people run to their defence if they cause a misdemeanour. Hypocrites!

• if they did something really bad its not enough to just say sorry. they should face some consequences. its so easy to say sorry you don't even have to mean it. sorry doesn't fix real problems

• Depends on the crime. Like violence rape or anything physical probably never.

But if it’s ideas or things they’ve said (even if it’s bigoted) if it’s been a long enough time and they haven’t repeated it I move on. That’s kind of the whole point of educating people: to be better.

If you’re gonna keep bringing up the past what’s the incentive for people to be better?

• if they did something really bad its not enough to just say sorry. they should face some consequences. its so easy to say sorry you don't even have to mean it. sorry doesn't fix real problems

Well I hardly think someone calling girls fat is something serious but fans over exaggerate it. If it’s something more serious like Kangin’s drink driving then that’s problematic and inexcusable even with an apology. I’ve still seen fans defending him over that considering he’d done it before. Idols just need to be more aware of their actions then an apology wouldn’t be necessary.

• I believe that if you truly repent, you have a chance to be forgiven. However, depending on the size of the mistake you need to pay in some way for your attitudes

• each situation depends on the circumstances

each action depends on the severity of the consequences not the action itself...

lets say an idol bullied someone and the victim accepted such apology and no harm was done ?

lets say an idol bullied someone and such victim committed suicide...

both were bullying issues but the consequence of such bullying is different...

in order to determine the forgivableness of someone should we not first look at fhe consequence of such action first?

• For smaller things:

If it's over a year old, and I have clearly changed the way I think and behave when it comes to that particular subject, then if you can't let it go and move on (notice how I didn't say "forgive", that's something different), you have a problem with me that you need to sort out for yourself.

For bigger things (open sexism, racism, sexual assault/harassment, etc.):

Nah.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• This thread contains 4 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!