Nazis, the rising sun, CA, racism etc

• Those are some of the things I've learned more about since I got into Kpop.

Now that Kpop is going global, Kpop agencies need to make a global history/culture awareness class for their idols before they debut. This way, both agencies and idols will learn more about what generally affects which people in different ways.

It's true that you can't please everyone but I'd rather someone gets criticism for something that doesn't deeply hurt an entire region like the West or East or a race or religion just because they are careless or ignorant. Kpop things should not mock other people's skin colour, religions, history and cultures.

On that note, Sowon should have known better especially when Gfriend promotes beyond Korea and Asia. And still, even if Nazism didn't affect Korea in any way, it's better to be empathetic to those affected or to just ignore everything Nazi to prevent hurting people.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• inb4

But she used kitler as nickname she knew.

In what world does your common person have every army uniform memorized. Only reason i know it cause i watch many war movies but it would be complete normal mistake to think it was just a military uniform of other origin.

Which they explained they didnt know it was controversial... knowing of Hitler as an evil man does not mean you knew every outfit he wore. Most the images are in black and white anyway...

And it was not a museum it was a cafe.

But anyway i dont think idols need to learn every origin of every culture you do realize that would take years right? Covering the main issues would be good for idols. But mistakes are bound to happen. We as humans need to be more understanding.

You know I just can't stop it when my heart sky rockets for you
    2ea319bd63705a25c50232df2ae317d871d3ad36.gifv d1ef5d384b1910b5a37c49c48b1b0c82fd7573ed.gifv 1f0bd7c83dbb180bdf5e7b6f561bb556fa21671f.gifv

• This is true, but just to clear things up: Cultural appropriation usually isn't meant to mock anyone. It's meant to make the idol look cooler or whatever they have in mind, but obviously, a lot of people would disagree.

Yeah I think the thing with cultural appropriation in some cases is that they use the culture because they think it makes them look cooler but then they also mock people of that culture

Or people generally mock people of that culture but then when a white person uses some parts of that culture (for example) some people praise them, etc.

• yeah it might just be me but I didn't know it was a Nazi uniform lol and I live in America

• This is true, but just to clear things up: Cultural appropriation usually isn't meant to mock anyone. It's meant to make the idol look cooler or whatever they have in mind, but obviously, a lot of people would disagree.

I do agree. But that is where i see the problem. Just to do something, to make you look cooler. Quite stupid. I'm not hating on any idol, just wish people in general would be more mindful about things they do. Social media is controlling everything and everybody, people would go places and do stuff just for a 'nice photo' on their social media. Thinking about things started to be too hard for people. Being sensitive to others and mindful also.

Most of the time people complain about CA as if it's such a bad thing that ruins their culture or something.

I also don't get the CA complaints most of the time.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• yeah it might just be me but I didn't know it was a Nazi uniform lol and I live in America

That's my main point.....

Koreans said they didnt realize either.......

Then people call her a nazi, such an overreaction. They apologized deleted the pics. The company also didn't realize, it wasnt just Sowon. Her agency didnt realize either.

You know I just can't stop it when my heart sky rockets for you
    2ea319bd63705a25c50232df2ae317d871d3ad36.gifv d1ef5d384b1910b5a37c49c48b1b0c82fd7573ed.gifv 1f0bd7c83dbb180bdf5e7b6f561bb556fa21671f.gifv

• I agree with everything you are saying and before filming starts or during preparations, they should research about everything to be used to prevent such blunders like using Nazi uniforms or even having mosques as their background aesthetics etc

Maybe they knew about the uniform but they didn't think it'd be a big deal.

• Nice advertising :D You should add some photo or gif, it brings more attention to your post and they would think something fun is happening at this thread :D

its not advertising its directly on point ^^

Rather than me saying the same thing I'd just link to what I'd said previously

Besides I'm not very good at gifs or photos or things...

Maybe you can add one in your reply...

• Hello everybody! If you are interested in the topic of knowledge, there is really fun and interesting discussion going on, check it out!

3905c8847d19e94bb733ddbb6ad9fb97.giftenor.gif?itemid=8556236

• For me personally, I could accept that she's very ignorant and did not know. The appalling thing was how she handled it all:

1) After receiving backlash, she uploaded the damn picture again

2) No personal apology or admittance of why this is bad

3) Using Hitler jokes, posting things like "I'm removing it because fans are jealous" and "it's making a fuss" are not putting her in a good light

She's a grown woman who needs to take personal responsibility for her actions and acknowledge the hurt done.

Yes, cancel culture is very bad and as humans we do make mistakes: I don't think she hates jews or was intending to support genocide, but in the end she contributed to making light of a very sad passage of human history and needs to make some amends. Twitter trolls and antis will probably use this to the max, and that is sad, but that doesn't mean she should not make the simple effort stated above.

• For me personally, I could accept that she's very ignorant and did not know. The appalling thing was how she handled it all:

1) After receiving backlash, she uploaded the damn picture again

2) No personal apology or admittance of why this is bad

3) Using Hitler jokes, posting things like "I'm removing it because fans are jealous" and "it's making a fuss" are not putting her in a good light

wait she uploaded the picture again?

• Hello everybody! If you are interested in the topic of knowledge, there is really fun and interesting discussion going on, check it out!

3905c8847d19e94bb733ddbb6ad9fb97.giftenor.gif?itemid=8556236

and now that I'm quoting you it there's more of the gifs and pictures to go around

Great work my friend...you can be my gif buddy

• I do agree. But that is where i see the problem. Just to do something, to make you look cooler. Quite stupid. I'm not hating on any idol, just wish people in general would be more mindful about things they do. Social media is controlling everything and everybody, people would go places and do stuff just for a 'nice photo' on their social media. Thinking about things started to be too hard for people. Being sensitive to others and mindful also.

We see people travel to other countries and wear the culture's traditional clothing. In the case of tourists who travel to South Korea, we see them wearing hanboks. That's all fine for Koreans, but those of us here in the West would question it and say there's something problematic about it.

Before maybe five years ago, there wasn't nearly as much outrage about cultural appropriation as there is now. Back then, people didn't care or they weren't conditioned by Internet communities to be outraged by it.

The way I see it... It's not all that bad as long as the intentions aren't to mock or degrade.

But for the sake of people who may be offended, idols should learn to be more careful.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!