K-pop album sales boom

• I remember how some users last year predicted that once touring resumes in full this year, groups sales will stabilize rather than increase

That's definitely not what's happening

It's fascinating how every group is seeing massive increase in sales year on year

With aespa about to be the 2nd ever GG to move over 1M physicals & BTS sure to be upcoming massive sales possibly 5M?

There's really no limit in sight

I wonder by 2025 will the top 10 best selling albums in a given year be all by K-pop acts lol

Obviously most K-pop acts suck in streaming sans the BIG Bs

What do u guys think will be the eventual absolute limit for a K-pop album release?

• Which groups are touring though? No one in k-pop has started tours as far as I know. I haven't seen concert news about anyone other than BTS, Twice, NCT 127 & Ateez. Some other small groups like CIX are also touring. None of these have released an album since their concerts started.

Stray Kids, Loona and ITZY all have released tour dates if I'm not mistaken and are going on their tours between June/July to October, depending on the group.

Edit: Unless you meant touring as in they're doing a concert performance within the next couple days/week, in which case, I don't know of anyone.

• Stray Kids, Loona and ITZY all have released tour dates if I'm not mistaken and are going on their tours between June to October, depending on the group.

Yeah I know many have released a schedule for their tours. I think The Boyz, Seventeen, Super Junior, Brave Girls, (G)-Idle, Dreamcatcher and TxT have also announced their tours.

What I meant is that those who have already started touring haven't released an album to make a conclusion that tours do not affect album sales.

Those who have released an album are yet to start their tours. So they are not good candidates to base this conclusion on.

• Yeah I know many have released a schedule for their tours. I think The Boyz, Seventeen, Super Junior, Brave Girls, (G)-Idle, Dreamcatcher and TxT have also announced their tours.

What I meant is that those who have already started touring haven't released an album to make a conclusion that tours do not affect album sales.

Those who have released an album are yet to start their tours. So they are not good candidates to make observations.

Ah, I see what you mean now. I thought that you meant that groups a lot of groups hadn't started touring again yet.

• I'll give my opinion on this after looking at many groups sale data. Most group have doubled their sale from 2021. I have been saying 2022 is the boom year which also is the year of most groups sale will be saturated.

Any group that has comeback recently won't see the same significant increase in the subsequent comeback, instead, it will be incremental.

• I'll give my opinion on this after looking at many groups sale data. Most group have doubled their sale from 2021. I have been saying 2022 is the boom year which also is the year of most groups sale will be saturated.

Any group that has comeback recently won't see the same significant increase in the subsequent comeback, instead, it will be incremental.

That seem the case for dream, like they cross 2m but their previous album did 1.7m I think

Seventeen also fall in that category, like big jumps arent much of a thing for some groups maybe bc touring is starting

• That seem the case for dream, like they cross 2m but their previous album did 1.7m I think

Seventeen also fall in that category, like big jumps arent much of a thing for some groups maybe bc touring is starting

It is easier to go from 50% to 80% than it is to go from 90% to 95%. The higher the previous percentages the smaller the future growth. But it does make a difference. Because the room of growth is also limited. You can't do more than 100%, can you?

• I wonder how BP number is going to look since they missed the 2021 and so far the 2022 boom in sales. But also I believe this is the last year with booming sales, tour starting in the next year as a more normalized thing and many multis go to different concerts and also I see a economic bubble being formed due the high sales and at some point that bubble is going to explode and will weak the whole economy

• It is easier to go from 50% to 80% than it is to go from 90% to 95%. The higher the previous percentages the smaller the future growth. But it does make a difference. Because the room of growth is also limited. You can't go more than 100%, can you?

True, constant releases also decrease that % bc there is a limit of how much a fandom can invest,specially in a single year

That's also why idk how Bp will do now, my prediction was 2m by 2021 standar but u have Ive( who is from a company that isn't know for selling well or selling much at all) doing 650k

Why do u think so?

• I've been seeing countless posts from folks stating that album sales have peaked, Kpop is saturated, Kpop will crumble and die, blah blah blah. The second i started lurking on this forum three years ago, i saw these posts.

I remember random comments even before i got into Kpop, about how Kpop peaked with Bigbang, SNSD, 2NE1, etc.

In every instance, these naysayers have proven to be utterly and completely wrong.

• I've been seeing countless posts from folks stating that album sales have peaked, Kpop is saturated, Kpop will crumble and die, blah blah blah. The second i started lurking on this forum three years ago, i saw these posts.

I remember random comments even before i got into Kpop, about how Kpop peaked with Bigbang, SNSD, 2NE1, etc.

In every instance, these naysayers have proven to be utterly and completely wrong.

I mean idk if kpop keas with those groups,but those groups did peak sales wise

• I wonder how BP number is going to look since they missed the 2021 and so far the 2022 boom in sales. But also I believe this is the last year with booming sales, tour starting in the next year as a more normalized thing and many multis go to different concerts and also I see a economic bubble being formed due the high sales and at some point that bubble is going to explode and will weak the whole economy

I think BP will definitely have a 100% increase aka from 1.25M-2.5M sales within 2-3 months

• True, constant releases also decrease that % bc there is a limit of how much a fandom can invest,specially in a single year

That's also why idk how Bp will do now, my prediction was 2m by 2021 standar but u have Ive( who is from a company that isn't know for selling well or selling much at all) doing 650k

2.5M & 3M is definitely possible within 2-3 months 🤔

• I mean idk if kpop keas with those groups,but those groups did peak sales wise

What they were saying was that Kpop as a whole would never get bigger than SNSD, Bigbang, 2NE1. That their accomplishments would never be exceeded, that Kpop would go downhill once those groups disbanded.

Then EXO and Psy happened. BTS happened. Twice happened. Blackpink happened, and all their theories were blown out of the water.

Every year since 2012, Kpop has just gotten bigger and bigger. Gangnam Style was like the shot across the bow, a warning to the rest of the world that Kpop was coming for their necks.

• Why do u think so?

Easy, logic and sale data. let's see. IVE, Redvelvet, StrayKids, TxT all doubled their sale from 2021. Rookie groups like Nmixx and Lesserafim debut with 470k and 410k respectively. These data show us the boom sale going from 2021 to 2022.

There is a certain ceiling or saturation point these groups need to reach. You can't keep doubling on your sale consecutively because that is not realistic. NCT and Seventeen fall into this category.

• There is many reasons for the album sales boom

1- Kpop is bigger now, in 2020 when BP sold +1M copies only 2 groups had more than 1M sales : BTS and NCT. Now you have more Boys Groups ( Seventeen, TXT and Stray Kids joined them + more NCT subunits). As for Girls Groups, Twice latest album is around 900k, Red Velvet (without WW distribution) 600k, Ive (single album, no WW distribution) 600k. New groups (from big agencies) 1st albums are selling 200k minimum

2- Worldwide distribution. Kpop albums are available in many stores around the worlds, more kpop acts get WW distribution deal so higher stocks orders.

3- Companies are now doing Digipack. It allows fans to bulkbuy more albums and inflate sales. Digipack have individual versions (with photocards) and are cheaper than buying a standard/photobook edition, solo stans/fanbases will likely buy this instead of a group versions. NCT have individual digipacks, Treasure too and now Aespa. More kpop groups will have digipacks in the future. There is also jewel cases for some kpop groups, like Ive, it's also cheaper.

• Easy, logic and sale data. let's see. IVE, Redvelvet, StrayKids, TxT all doubled their sale from 2021. Rookie groups like Nmixx and Lesserafim debut with 470k and 410k respectively. These data show us the boom sale going from 2021 to 2022.

There is a certain ceiling or saturation point these groups need to reach. You can't keep doubling your sale consecutively because that is not realistic. NCT and Seventeen fall into this category.

Edited once, last by dujuduju ().

• I see 2.5 million being the ceiling for non-bts groups tbh so far dream and Seventeen released two anticipated by fans albums, with full promos, many versions and fancalls and they sold around the same number they did last year, 2.1m-2.2m. next they will probably start touring (Seventeen confirmed, dream just a speculation so far) so as users here say, their sales won't grow so much due to that. I think they have hit their album sales peak.

Txt, enhypen and skz showed a growth but it's not an explosive one like nct 2020 and bp in 2020, especially considering their stream numbers compared to nct and seventeen. They will also start touring so I kinda see their sales not growing much this year

Now nct 127 is the biggest question, they are having a long hiatus and will start touring before they release a new album so it will be interesting to see if they can keep their 2.4 million range from sticker or surpass the 2.5m goal

• Which groups are touring though? No one in k-pop has started tours as far as I know. I haven't seen concert news about anyone other than BTS, Twice, NCT 127 & Ateez. Some other younger groups like CIX, MCND, Blitzers are also touring. But none of these have released an album since their concerts started.

The Boyz and Monsta X were touring and ads for the Seventeen tour keep pursuing me across YT.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• The only way album sales will ever peak in kpop is when the gimmicks stop. As long as the industry keeps inflating physicals with the numerous versions and whatsnot, there will be no cap.

Currently, imo it’s just a few groups who are actually seeing a physical album growth due to new fans and not just because they added new cheaper extra versions.

• Blinks really cant shut the f up about their only album which sold 1 million with 9 month of fundraising, still can't provide a reasonable answer why HYLT single only sold 300k the same year.

• This thread contains 31 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!