Why is it that we always use lack of "stage presence" to insult female idols, but never against male idols?

• Go to Best Answer
  • I’ve seen so many people do this to male idols.

The industry has double standards that exist but this ain’t one of them.

So many people have said ‘X member lacks charisma’ and ‘Y member looks like a brick’ so I really don’t get this point.

• Best Answer

But back to the thread, this is so very true

A lot of times we see female idols get criticised "oh she is lazy", "her vocals are shaky", like when was the last time you see a male idol get criticised for "being lazy"?

Take Wonyoung for example, gurl just didn't swing her hair hard enough and she got criticised by people saying that she is lazy dancing when she probably only did that because she was the MC and needed to make sure she doesn't mess up her hair

Female idols get criticised for stage presence ALL THE TIME. When was the last time you saw a comparision thread of stage presence for male idols? Nada. It's like male idols can do no wrong but if a female idol just gives a resting bitch face for 1 second all hell breaks loose.

Visuals. Lets talk about this as well. How many times you see people saying that this female idol is not that talented and is only there for her visuals. She is resting on pretty. Have you seen someone say that a male idol is there just for his handsomeness. Somehow magically there is something to back up the talent for male idols but female idols gets crucified.

And no this is not about your dumb twitter wars whatever, this is about issues like these actually appearing on news sites, on your what panchoa kreaboo nonsense, or even AKP website itself. I can link you countless articles but I'm too lazy at the moment.

I'm not saying that male idols dont get hated, but this happens a lot more for female idols and you know it

• Simple: You never see BG stans making threads about who have the best stage presence or who is the useless member of the group

Those threads comes mostly from GG stans bicking each other

Maybe is a lesson for you to learn with us

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• tetetete

Selected a post as the best answer.
  • I have seen male idols are getting dragged for lack of stage presence such as Jin, D.O etc. Also usually see TXT as a whole getting dragged for that.

Also some male idols usually get ableist comments for their stage presence. Such as ATEEZ San, Seonghwa etc

Just last week I saw people giving hell a to male idol for ‘looking like they’re having a seizure’ and threads like this are still happening?

Don’t get me wrong, as I woman I know that there are double standards but for stage presence it’s simply absurd. It devalues the true double standards that are happening.

• Bg stans shut up

Go take a look at Twitter lmao

Always acting like ur better than gg stans for no reason

BG stans mainy focus of fighting is over charts/awards/achievements

You will rarely, if ever, see threads created by BG stans putting other Boygrous down when it comes to looks and talents, unless the person is an outright hater of that specific groups

GG stans in other hand are obsessed with comparisons over looks and talents, you can look countless visual threads for female idols here but rarely, if ever, see one comparing the looks for male idols

• It's actually more simple than people think.

Girlgroups have the attention of a lot of casual followers apart of their fans who know about many members individually and their skills, so they are more watched on stage. As a consequence, they receive more criticism.

People usually don't know to tell apart members of boygroups most of the time, nor their skills to judge. So It's not like they think boygroups are more skilled and don't deserve to be criticized in comparison to girlgroups' members, they just don't care about them.

• BG stans mainy focus of fighting is over charts/awards/achievements

You will rarely, if ever, see threads created by BG stans putting other Boygrous down when it comes to looks and talents, unless the person is an outright hater of that specific groups

GG stans in other hand are obsessed with comparisons over looks and talents, you can look countless visual threads for female idols here but rarely, if ever, see one comparing the looks for male idols

Let's not lie. Every fanwar I see, it's always a bg stan very bg stan. Stays VS. Moas, Armys VS. every 4th gen bg fandom, p1eces VS. suju stans and exo-ls, let's not forget the two most legendary fanwar was between two bg fandoms, H.O.T stans VS. sechskies stans, and Armys VS. Exo-ls, also Armys VS, Bigbang stans.

And the multiple hit threads from bg stans degrading women, slut shaming them, body shaming them, criticizing the way they walk, talk, and breathe. calling them racial slurs for making eye contact with male idols or even being associated with them in any way (look at Bahiyyih she gets called different slurs everday just because her brother is a kpop idol too).

No one is saying gg stans are any better, but let's not act like bg stans are some kind of saints who only care for their fans success

• There are plenty of people who do this to make idols. I literally have to see this shit about a different member of NCT every day. :pepe-shame:

• Man how are u gonna blame gg stans for the fact that it’s normalized in general to compare women cause we live in patriarchal society

That’s something that’s outside the grip of fandom spaces, and something that everyone partakes in not just gg stans

Fair point. Still, GG stans are the fans of Girlgroups and the ones who mostly discuss and make threads/statements about them, so you are to blame for reproducing this normalized social behaviour.

Nobody will criticize a Girlgroup unless you are actually interested in the market, like... if you aren't into kpop there isn't anything to talk about, hence, any kind of hate and bad criticism will be made by, almost exclusively, kpop stans and among those GG stans are the most likely to make such statments because they like... well, girlgroups

• No one is saying gg stans are any better, but let's not act like bg stans are some kind of saints who only care for their fans success

That's absolutely true, BG stans are know for being fanatic, cultists and hive-minded. They are fierce and can get even brutal if they feel they need to fight. They will follow, bully, shame and destroy you on social media if they need to

However one thing holds true: A standard/average Boygroup stan isn't nearly interested in making any kind of negative statement or comparison towards other Boygroups as Girlgroups stans

GG stans are OBSSESSED with comparisons, debates and criticism, it's like art of the culture of being a GG stan to listen, watch and follow multiple girlgroups including the ones you don't even like in first place. That's not a bad thing on itself, I myself enjoy watching and following content of groups I don't personally stan, however this will also create an environment where weirdos will start trolling (when not hating) girlgroups over their supossed lack of talent, charism and beauty

• people don't even know boy group members to talk about their stage presence. Ask me, I can't name/identify more than six 4th gen male idols so i don't know anything about their talents.

GG members are more popular, the general public knows them, they have many casual stans, they also have fans. So, a wide variety of people know/talk about them while for boy groups it is mostly their stans that know them.

• while there might be some sexism there, GG stans are absolutely obsessed with this kind of stuff. That's why you see numerous threads about top 4 gen GG anytime a new notable GG debuts, always fighting about IT girls, always putting other girls down with plastic surgery accusations to prop up their fav female idol.

• while there might be some sexism there, GG stans are absolutely obsessed with this kind of stuff. That's why you see numerous threads about top 4 then GG anytime a new notable GG debut, always fighting about IT girls, always putting other girls down with plastic surgery accusations to prop up their fav female idol.

And the ones who do comparison threads about boygroups or boygroups x girlgroups are 99% of the time girlgroup stans here in the main wanting to create a whole circus. I mean... Its funny actually

• Let's not lie. Every fanwar I see, it's always a bg stan very bg stan. Stays VS. Moas, Armys VS. every 4th gen bg fandom, p1eces VS. suju stans and exo-ls, let's not forget the two most legendary fanwar was between two bg fandoms, H.O.T stans VS. sechskies stans, and Armys VS. Exo-ls, also Armys VS, Bigbang stans.

And the multiple hit threads from bg stans degrading women, slut shaming them, body shaming them, criticizing the way they walk, talk, and breathe. calling them racial slurs for making eye contact with male idols or even being associated with them in any way (look at Bahiyyih she gets called different slurs everday just because her brother is a kpop idol too).

No one is saying gg stans are any better, but let's not act like bg stans are some kind of saints who only care for their fans success

This isn't a gender issue and blaming fandoms isn't going to solve any underlying issue in general.

Instead of spending your time on this thread, attempting to convince people that GG fandoms are X, and boygroup fandoms are Y, perhaps actually attempt to discus more pressing gender issues.

• That's absolutely true, BG stans are know for being fanatic, cultists and hive-minded. They are fierce and can get even brutal if they feel they need to fight. They will follow, bully, shame and destroy you on social media if they need to

However one thing holds true: A standard/average Boygroup stan isn't nearly interested in making any kind of negative statement or comparison towards other Boygroups as Girlgroups stans

GG stans are OBSSESSED with comparisons, debates and criticism, it's like art of the culture of being a GG stan to listen, watch and follow multiple girlgroups including the ones you don't even like in first place. That's not a bad thing on itself, I myself enjoy watching and following content of groups I don't personally stan, however this will also create an environment where weirdos will start trolling (when not hating) girlgroups over their supossed lack of talent, charism and beauty

If we're being real, girl group stans are more focused on that stuff because we have to be. Female idols are always getting into some kind of scandal we need to be prepared for war at all times:pepe-army:

Joking, most girl group stans I follow are more so focused on the general kpop stan population appreciating their faves for their quality music more than drawing comparisons because no one has time for that especially not on twitter. But both bg stans and gg stans are terrible, just awful, vile, and down right criminal :pepe-spray:

• why there might be some sexism there, GG stans are absolutely obsessed with this kind of stuff. That's why you see numerous threads about top 4 then GG anytime a new notable GG debut, always fighting about IT girls, always putting other girls down with plastic surgery accusations to prop up their fav female idol.

Exactly LOL

GG stans on this thread are pretending it's not other GG stans who do this all the time, instead are random uncles and aunts to log on social media to hate on those poor girls because they love to be misogynists and what's the best way to be misogynist than attacking girlgroups?

Like... dude, isn't obvious that someone hating a female idols saying her vocals or dance sucks means that person actually follows kpop and might be as well a fan of a rival group?

• I'm pretty sure most people who doesn't follow boygroups here and will claim It's pure sexism, don't even watch boygroups' performances, don't know how to name all or most members of them and don't even know their positions in the group too, lol

There was this article on Pann "how many 4th gen bg you recognize" I think I only recognized one, while I recognized every single girl group from 4th generation. :angryr:

• This isn't a gender issue and blaming fandoms isn't going to solve any underlying issue in general.

Instead of spending your time on this thread, attempting to convince people that GG fandoms are X, and boygroup fandoms are Y, perhaps actually attempt to discus more pressing gender issues.

I didn't really say it was an underlying gender issue, I am just correcting them because gg stans aren't a monolith and we're all different people, just like bg stans :pepe-shrug: I'm not OP

• If we're being real, girl group stans are more focused on that stuff because we have to be. Female idols are always getting into some kind of scandal we need to be prepared for war at all times:pepe-army:

Joking, most girl group stans I follow are more so focused on the general kpop stan population appreciating their faves for their quality music more than drawing comparisons because no one has time for that especially not on twitter. But both bg stans and gg stans are terrible, just awful, vile, and down right criminal :pepe-spray:

Of course 90% (random number, please understand it's not accurate by any means) of kpop stans are just normal people enjoy their hobby

However there are those 10% annoying people who loves trolling and picking fights

And while BG and GG stan might be both terrible, they operate in different ways. Girlgroups stans, as I explained, very likely listen, follow and watch many grous, including the supposed rivals one. This is harmless for the 90% common people, but for the 10% this will means multiple hate threads and articles shaming female idols for any wrong dance move

You can see this for male idols, but it's far more uncommon. The only big issue for boygroups running ir circles from talent-hate threads was around 2017 when people were shaming Jimin from BTS because a bad performance from Fake Love

• Earlier I thought about it, because there was a reel on YouTube and it was idols without stage presence and it was filled with female idols.

I feel like since GG are more popular by the GP, they have more casual stans so all the attention goes to them. But yeah women in general have higher standards

• I feel when it comes to 4th gen bgs especially people know the group but not the members like they do for ggs. If u don't know can u compare? Also their stans don't do such comparisons mostly? I feel even bg comparison threads are opened by gg stans over here.

Even when u compare in western pop female artist stans are way more toxic and competitive than male artists.

°⨳°·..·°⨳°⊹٭ 𝓙𝓞𝓨 ٭⊹°⨳°·..·°⨳°

e59e7135c19a6341cc1e93725017b2ba7130662a.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv 87421ed4a49499627715cb8666cc133529df9593.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv b2fee2c558a21bd6472498e040b6dad3a40db33e.gifv

• There are just more discussions about female idols than male idols in general.

Male idols' audience is mostly their own fans while female idols have the interest of the general kpop fans too so its logical that they will face more criticism.

It's not a misogynistic issue its's just simple logic. More interest results in more discussions, more scrutinity and thus more criticism.

• This thread contains 43 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!