EXO - Don't Mess Up My Tempo/Love Shot album review.....

• Let's go with their 5th album

External Content youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

1. Love Shot

I have a love-hate relationship with this song. On one hand, There's nothing wrong with the track while on the other hand this song is so overrated if we compare it to Tempo.

Vocals are expected, Excellent. Rap is alright. There's a caveat :- The last chorus was dragging because it was the same for all the 3, they could've changed it and make it even more epic.

Rating :- 7.75/10

2. Tempo

There are no words to describe this masterpiece. Vocals are the HIGHLIGHT here. Amazing genre-blend. High production value, Rap is so good, Acapella part JUST TAKES IT TO ANOTHER LEVEL.

A true musical masterpiece.

Rating :- 10/10

3. Trauma

Good guitar opening with Suho's voice panning from left to right. Interesting percussion choice, very minimal at that too. I love the delay put on snare at 0:32, nice transition to Chen's part, little details matter.

Chorus is a little underwhelming at first, then levels up. 2nd Verse drags after some listens, The Introduction of additional guitar panned to the right in the 2nd chorus is a nice touch.

Good rap section. A little longer than I would have liked though, The synth bass addition is nice. This song is filled with so many times.

Rating :- 8/10

4. Wait

Nice laid back feel. Vocals as expected amazing. Harmonies are at the forefront here. Good song BUT not something I would hear everyday in any mood, I need to be in mood for it. Andreas Oberg did a fantastic job with this song.

Rating :- 7.75/10

5. Sign

Hard-hitting intro. Electropop at it's finest. Verses are good for ears, Chorus is alright. Nothing too special. But, 2nd Pre-chorus with Baekhyun is just off the hook, 2nd Chorus has an additional synth panned to left, Rap is good. Bridge is my favorite.

Nice ending with Sehun's voice.

Rating :- 8.25/10

6. Ooh La La La

Latin-vibe. I love subtle latin feel to it. Chill song. Pre-Chorus is amazing especially with that guitar in the back, the chorus is SO SEXY and Romantic. Interesting high-hat panning from left to right, definitely elevates the song in some way.

Kai's part turns it into Chill, Lo-fi type of vibe, Along with amazing vocal performance by the members.

Xiumin ending the song effortlessly.

Rating :- 9/10

7. Gravity

Using the same sample used in Power. SYNTHWAVE. This right here is the BEST B-SIDE OF ALL-TIME.....

Being completely objective,

The 2 part chorus is one of the most addictive choruses I have heard in all my years of listening.

For music nerds :- Listen to the breakdown at 1:24, THAT'S SOME GOOD STUFF RIGHT THERE.

Kyungsoo's voice deserves an award for the performance it has shown in this song.

For the first time in this album, Rap line went OFF especially Sehun and I was pleasantly shocked since you never expect him to MURDER IT LIKE THAT.

Rating :- 10/10

8. With You

An absolutely underrated song. High treble beat, very mellow and ambiant instrumental. The chorus is so UNEXPECTED, and then song resumes like nothing happened. How cool is that? I didn't vibe with rap part as much and also, the half-time trap influence was a welcome edition.

Rating :- 8/10

9. 24/7

Very COLD intro. Very Winter-ish. Falsetto is strong in this one, Melody is a little too repetitive with me. Bridge is amazing tho with snaps.

Rating 7.75/10

10. Bad Dream

Intro is so different from the rest of the song. Interesting.

Good verses, Chorus is even better.

Chen perfectly executes the longest riff this album at 2:55.

Rating :- 8.5/10

11. Damage

Old EXO is back. I love the drum use. It's a little distorted. Gives it a gritty feel. Also, Big props to LDN Noise for choosing the best snare for this track. It has certain "Attack" to it.

Listen to those string-like synth 1:34, Heightens the excitement.

Also, Sehun's iconic E-X-O is back at 2:45 . I was so haply to hear that. It was greatly missed.

A strong B-side.

Rating :- 8.75/10

12. Smile On My Face

A really beautiful song. The delay on the snare is amazing. Gives it a longing feel. Also, Atmospheric pads help a lot.

Melody is so emotional. Good job everyone. One important thing :-

I really appreciate the way Suho executes his part from 3:05. Crystal clear vocals. No weakness detected. A bit too slow for my taste and I won't actively seek it out uness I am sad.

Rating :- 8.75/10

13. Oasis

I love the occasional stops in the instrumental. Trap instrumental is used very well. A true concert song. I can imagine them running on red desert towards oasis.

A very satisfying ending to the album.

Rating :- 8.5/10

Conclusion :- Easily one of the best albums released in KPOP. Choesive, Vocally superior, Good instrumentals.

A must listen album.

Rating :- 85.38%

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• I loved Love Shot, it has become one of the most iconic KPOP songs. I don't stan Exo, but it was the song that got me into the group.

Have you listened to the album

If not you should give it a chance

:pepe-excited:

External Content www.youtube.com

• I have a love-hate relationship with this song. On one hand, There's nothing wrong with the track while on the other hand this song is so overrated if we compare it to Tempo.

The thing I hate about love shot is that it sound so typical, already done 100x, yet everybody love this song.

Sometimes simplier songs can more attractive than over the top production ;(

Vocals are expected, Excellent. Rap is alright. There's a caveat :- The last chorus was dragging because it was the same for all the 3, they could've changed it and make it even more epic.

The 2nd chorus is different tho :/

The only thing I don't like about this song is the mixing of the bed squeak sond and some of the vocal part...

Otherwise this song is excellent

• There was a slight variation. Instead of hitting the bass drum at start, They brought it late into the chorus which was a good decision but it wasn't anything big.

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• One of my favorite albums by EXO <3
    Nice review! You worked hard on that!

Legend Lee Know

External Content youtu.be

• 1. Love Shot; 8,5/10

It may not stand out in Exo's dicsography but easy listening, chill with some nice fine instrumentals and Exo's smooth vocals. Repettitive choruses are not my thing but it works well with the choreo and it's catchy

2. Tempo; 8/10

One of a kind. I appreciate it esp. the acapella bridge is iconic. I jam to it when it plays but not a track I can listen to over and over. The robotic voices; I'm not a big fan. Rap verses... I prefer when it's scattered in the song

3. Trauma: 8/10

It should be listened to with headphones :3 Kai's voice is like honey

:siptear:

A song I started to appreciate later, one of my fav Exo rap parts. Esp the instrumenatal in 2:27 and last chorus. There are some fine details. Can you hear the strings?

4. Wait: 9,5/10

Simple yet very beautiful, sincere, warm... The melody is pretty, Exo's voices shine and the harmonies are on another level

All I do is wait....

:pepe-comfy:

5. Sign: 10/10

This song became one of my fav. later. The chorus and the rap parts are one of the best. Esp. the chorus-rap overlap after bridge

I enjoy the little pauses and the outro is iconic

Honestly you da true
    Body talk when you move

6. Ooh La La La: 6/10

This song is good esp the prechorus and Kai's part in the bridge. BUT the chorus is not really my style. It's weak and too repetitive

:pepe-back-away:

7. Gravity: 10000000000.../10 Some things in the world can't be measured...

THE BEST KPOP SONG OF ALL-TIME.....

Why I love gravity so much

1- Spaceship and echo sound effects; smart

:pepe-smug:

2-Bassline; the best in the world

3- THEY FREAKING USED SYNTHWAVE. THE FıRST IN KPOP AND IT WORKED SO WELL

4- ALL THE NICE DETAILS. FOR EXAMPLE HEAR THE SMALL RIFF, 1:25,THE LITTLE PAUSE IN 1:41, ELECTRIC GUITAR IN 3:33. I'M IN LOVE....

:waterr:

5-THE VERSES ARE GREAT

6-THE CHORUSES ARE EVEN GREATER

7-THEN COMES THE BEST RAP PART&BRIDGE

CHANYEOL SEHUN NAILED IT!!!

You know me I'm not even a big rap fan but this.... This is my fav. part

External Content twitter.com

IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE TO REACH THIS LEVEL. THIS IS PERFECTION.

:waterr::waterr::waterr:

8. With You 7,5/10

There are some surprising transitions in this song. I love the last chorus most.

But I think the percussions are a bit too much for a chill song like with you

:pepe-life-support:

9. 24/7: 8,5/10

Nice intro; a song where Exo's falsettos shine. The chorus is a bit repetitive.

The live performance is one of the best of Exploration.

And their raw vocals. I prefer this version and with Exo-ls fancant it is even more beautiful

:lover1:

External Content open.spotify.com

10. Bad Dream: 10/10

WHY IS THIS SONG SO UNDERRATED

:cryingr:

The intro is gold with a beauitful guitar Chanyeol's deep voice and Kyungsoo's smooth vocals. What can you ask for more?

Then the song transtions to sth different

But then the prechorus hits. IT'S OUT OF THIS WORLD INDEED

Then the chorus! Surprise! I think the transitions are exciting and works perfectly

The little build up to Kyungsoo and Sehun's verses. Absoulutely beautiful

Chen owns the bridge with his precise vocals

And the outro. I really like Sehun and Chanyeol's vocals here

11. Damage: 8/10

A great hype song! Once gain I prefer the live version. The best performance of exploration imo

But not a song I can listen to over and over

E-X-O is iconic

12. Smile On My Face: 9/10

It's very soothing, emotional, warming :3 A spacey ballad

13. Oasis: 9/10

This song that takes you somewhere else. Even though the first 2 choruses are kinda empty it actually works well. A sign along type chorus with the company of Exo's heavenly harmonies.

:omgr:

Chasing the sun...

Run.. run...

I especially enjoy the strings :3 My only complaint would be the trap instrumentals; unnecessary imo

• Have you listened to the album

If not you should give it a chance

What a way to smoothly promote one of the best b-side song to ever exist :pepe-toast:

• I was just listening to this album yesterday. After not being fully sold with the original release (the repackage made it 100x better) I've grown to love it (even the tracks I liked the least at the beginning).

And I agree on Love Shot, it is overrated compared to Tempo. I still can't believe it is EXO's most successful song in the West.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!