EXO - Don't Mess Up My Tempo/Love Shot album review.....

• You put so much thought into these threads that I’ve been waiting until I have time to leave an equally thoughtful comment, but I shall.

:cryingr:

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• There are so many of my all time favorites on this album..my apologies that I may not have the technical music terms here. I love music but acknowledge my weakness here in sometimes describing..

1. Love Shot

I've seen some say that this is a song that doesn't sound special - like anyone could do it. But I've heard so many try and it never sounds as good. I think this is deceptively simple and relentlessly catchy. But yes, Tempo is the superior track, but to my ear, Tempo is also a much more r&b driven track and I feel like very r&b style songs in kpop seem to be less favored than songs with a poppier feel.

2. Tempo

As I noted somewhere else, I think, I love the groove of tempo, complete with the a cappella flexing mid-stream that reminds me of classic r&b groups from old doo-wop to 90s guys like Boyz II Men. And I love that this is like three different songs in one.

3. Trauma

This is another one that has a funky r&b groove that I feel is really underrated. You can't sit still in your seat when this one comes on. It feels like it should build up to something bigger on the chorus but I actually like that it just continues to ride the groove.

4. Wait

This is one of my favorite EXO ballads..again, and I know I sound like a broken record here, but this reminded me of every achy heart slow jam that I grew up on, all falsetto aching and pristine sound that just lets the dreaminess of the emotion carry. I appreciate that it's stripped down and more spare to tell the emotional story.

5. Sign

This is one of my least favorites on the album. It's fine, but THIS is the song to me that feels a little generic. In general, I'm also not a fan of this style of EXO song. I'm really here for the R&B, although sometimes they catch me with some shining pop.

6. Ooh La La

Speaking of slinky grooves, I appreciate the way this one glides along in a sultry way. A different groove than Trauma that calls for margaritas by the pool..

7. Gravity

This is the best of both worlds for me - when the r&b combines with electropop in an irroestiable way (it's the same thing I like about Artificial Love or Lucky One). The galloping beat helps ramp up the energy of the song, while I like the way the high notes smooth it out. This is also one of my favorites.

8. With You

It's very downtempo chill until we get a few sweet high notes in there, but I'm just not a fan of this one either.

9. 24/7

I have a soft spot here because this also reminds me of the r&b my parents listen to..but it's not the most dynamic song, I get it. Definitely more nostalgia for me.

10. Bad Dream

Again, I feel like this fits with the overall vibe of the album of being in a groove - this is sexy album, but I appreciate that this is like a hybrid of the r&b flavor I love with a cool modern electric feel with the changing future bass style beat. I find it engrossing and always interesting...

11. Damage

Not a fan of this one - I always feels like it throws off the overall flow of the album to me and it just feels scattershot to me in what it's trying to do. And I say this as a person who loves Monster and Obsession.

12. Smile on My Face

Another old school feeling r&b ballad, but I feel like the snare helps it feel a little fresher. Either way, it's lovely.

13. Oasis

Always a great closer to the album as it builds up, then smooths out through the course of the song. This is another one that I think you think is going to build to a crescendo, and I appreciate that it's just like "nah..just gonna chill here."

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Great review

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!