Chanyeol is a South Korean rapper, singer, songwriter, producer, actor and model.
Apart from his group's activities, Chanyeol has also starred in various television dramas like Missing 9 and movies such as I Married an Anti Fan in 2016, Secret Queen Maker in 2018 and The Box in 2021.
II. Early Life
Chanyeol was born in Seoul. He attended Hyundai High School in Apgujeong-dong.
He has a sister named Park Yoo-ra, who is a former announcer at South Korean broadcasting station YTN and at MBC.
Chanyeol was admitted to a private acting institution when he was sixteen years old, where he became good friends with Block B's P.O.
After watching School Of Rock in elementary school, Chanyeol became interested in music and he soon began playing the drums. Chanyeol wanted to be a singer after listening to Unconditional Kismet by Yoo Young-jin.
Chanyeol has cited Jason Mraz and Eminem as his biggest influences, though he was a fan of rock bands like Muse, Green Day, Nirvana and X-Japan in middle school.
Chanyeol became a trainee under SM Entertainment after winning second place in the 2008 Smart Model Contest. While training under S.M., he began to turn his focus towards rapping. Prior to his debut, Chanyeol made cameo appearances in TVXQ's ''HaHaHa Song'' music video and SNSD ''Genie'' music video in 2008 and 2010 respectively.
II. Career: Beginnings (2012-14)
Chanyeol became the last Exo member to be officially introduced to the public on February 23, 2012. He possesses a baritone singing voice.
In October 2013 Chanyeol joined the cast of SBS's reality show Law of the Jungle during its filming in Micronesia. He also composed and recorded an original soundtrack titled "Last Hunter" for the show in 2015 after rejoining the show.
In 2014, Chanyeol wrote the rap for the Korean version of the track "Run" from Exo's second EP Overdose and was featured in label-mates Henry's second EP and Zhou Mi debut EP.
In May 2014, he became a regular cast member of the first season of SBS' reality TV show Roomate and he left the show in September 2014 due to schedule conflicts.
III. Career: 2015 Present: Acting, Songwriting and EXO-SC
In April 2015, Chanyeol made his big screen debut with a supporting role in the South Korean film Salut d'Amour which starred Park Geun-Hyung and Youn Yuh-jung.
He later starred as the male lead alongside actress Moon Ga-Young and the EXO members in the web drama Exo Next Door.
In June 2015, Chanyeol, along with fellow Exo members Chen and Lay co-wrote the Korean version of the track "Promise" from Love Me Right repackage.
In April 2016, Chanyeol wrote and performed the rap for the song "Confession" from Yesung debut EP. In Exo's third studio album Ex'act which was released in May 2016, he co-wrote the lyrics for the track "Heaven".
In June 2016, Chanyeol starred alongside Yuan ShanShan and label-mate Seohyun in the South Korean-Chinese film So I Married An Anti Fan. He and Yuan Shanshan also recorded a duet titled "I Hate You" as the theme song for the movie.
In October 2016, Chanyeol and American R&B singer Tinashe were featured in American hip hop group Far East Movement and American electronic musician Marshmello's song Freal Luv.
In December 2016, Chanyeol and South Korean singer Punch collaborated on an original soundtrack titled ''Stay With Me'' for the drama Goblin, the song reached number three on South Korea's Gaon Digital Chart and had a big success.
In January 2017, Chanyeol played a supporting role in MBC's drama Missing 9.In February 2017, it was reported that he had allegedly registered himself as a music producer under the pen name "LOEY" with the Korea Music Copyright Association.
Later in February, Chanyeol collaborated with South Korean singer Junggigo on the duet ''Let Me Love You''.
In May 2018, it was announced that Chanyeol would be playing the supporting role of Jung Se-joo, Hee-joo's younger brother in tvN's drama Memories of Alhambra.
On September 14, 2018, Chanyeol with fellow Exo member released the station single ''We Young'' and in April 25, 2019 he also released his first solo song "SSFW" through SM Station.
On June 28, it was confirmed that Chanyeol along with his fellow Exo member Sehun would debut as the group's second official sub-unit EXO-SC and together they released the debut EP What A Life and first full album 1 Billion Views.
In 2021, he appeared in musical road film The Box, a jukebox musical containing familiar popular songs from world music such as Coldplay, Billie Eilish and Pharrel Williams in the backdrop of South Korean locales.
|''Let Me Love You'' feat Jungiggo
|''We Young'' feat Sehun
|''Yours'' with Raiden
|Henry ''Bad Girl''
|Heize ''Don't Make Money''
|Lee Sun Hee ''Anbu''
|Rothy ''Ocean View'''
|''Law Of The Jungle'' OST (Last Hunter)
|''Goblin OST Part 1'' (Stay With Me, with Punch)
|''Dr. Romantic 2 OST Part 3 (Go Away, Go Away with Punch)
|''The Box'' OST
|''Familiar'' (as Loey with MQ)
|''Slow Walk'' (as Loey with MQ)
|''Get Used To'' (as Loey with MQ)
|''So I Married An Anti Fan''
|High Kick! (Cameo)||(KBS2, 2008)|
|Royal Villa (Cameo)||(JTBC, 2013)|
|Missing 9||(MBC, 2017)|
|Memories of the Alhambra||(tvN, 2018)|
|''Exo Next Door''
||(Naver TV Cast, 2015)|
|''Secret Queen Makers''
||(Naver TV Cast, 2018)|
|''Law Of The Jungle'' (reality show)
|''Roommate'' (variety show)
VI. Chanyeol Facts
- He was born in Seoul, South Korea.
- Family: Father, mother, older sister (Chanyeol’s sister is a news reporter).
- Education: Hyundai Chungun High School; Kyung Hee Cyber University
- At the age of 16, he was enrolled into a private acting school.
- In high school, he formed a temporary band.
- He joined SM Entertainment in 2008 through the SM Casting System.
- He was the last EXO member to be introduced. (His debut appearance was on February 23rd, 2012.)
- His nicknames are: ‘Wealthy Teeth’, ‘Happy Virus’, ‘King of Derps’.
- He calls himself ‘Reversal Voice’ because his baby face is contrasted by his deep, manly voice.
- He starred in Girls’ Generation’s MV “Genie (Japanese Version)”
- He also starred in TaeTiSeo’s Twinkle MV alongside Kai, Baekhyun, and Sehun.
- He is the one that designed EXO’s hexagon logo.
- He is always cheerful and bright.
- Chanyeol had a lasik eye surgery back when he was still a trainee.
- His favorite kpop band is TVXQ.
- Habit: Following the rhythm of a song with his hands
- He used to play many instruments when he was young. (Knowing Bros ep 85)
- His favorite type of music: Hip Hop, Rap
- His favorite movie is ‘School of Rock’.
- His favorite number is 21.
- His favorite color is black.
- His favorite foods: Galbi and Tonkatsu.
- His hobbies are: Listening to music and playing instruments (he can play the guitar, drums, African drums, and bass.)
- He is a romantic person.
- Chanyeol confessed he cries the most among EXO members. (Star Show 360).
- He used to share a room with Baekhyun.- When Chanyeol was young, he had a pet ferret. It was definitely an odd pet to have and people still poke fun at him for having one.
- His mother owns a restaurant and his father owns a café.
- He is a huge fan of 2NE1’s Dara.
- His role models are Jason Mraz and Eminem.- Though he has a dog, Chanyeol is actually allergic to fur and with dogs he can only stay an hour with them before his allergies start acting up.
- He has a studio named studio 519.
- He’s part of EXO’s beagle line with Baekhyun and Chen (the pranksters/noisiests).
- He’s also part of EXO’s chingu line with Baekhyun, Chen and D.O.- Chanyeol is known to have “raise” Sehun since they both joined SM at the same time (Chanyeol was in high school while Sehun was in middle school).
- Chanyeol has a soundcloud, weibo, and instagram
VII. Social Media
Youtube Account: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR4vlBiZ4Ua8Uzm9z91Qn1g
VIII. Music Videos and Stations