Should the K-pop community be worried on who can replace the popularity BTS and Blackpink ?

• hoonestly speaking bts are likely going to continue to be active musicians well into their 30s. unlike other groups, all the members are pretty much 100% focused on music and while they might b e interested in solo acting and cf gigs int he future, right now it doesn't seem like any of them put their own career goals before the group. so whatever impact bts has on the korean music industry's economy will continue to have influence for years to come.

i do think kpop will hit a wall and sharp decline sooner or later. kpop's general popularity in korea is waning and the current buisness model will not be sustainable forever. album sales are nearing a peak for most current non bts bgs imo. ggs probably have a bit more wiggle room but their sales will never as huge across the board bc of different demographics. kpop as an industry is all aboout the next shiny new thing and sooner or later tossing or letting go of old groups that could have had long/stable careers in favor of the new will catch up with the industry.

• I am curious how much money will make with this subscribers I read an article that indian youtubers made 1 billion dollars in 2021 while kpop has much larger audience it's pretty wild with these subscribers

• K-Pop didn't really need to have mainstream success in the west in order to thrive so I wouldn't worry,

maybe not the west in particular, but since like 2008 onward kpop has thrived thanks to an international audience, starting with sea. why do you think so many companies recruit foreign members? why do you think sm used to do dual promotions in china before kpop was banned there? why do kpop companies almost always make their groups debut in jpn? the truth is sk is not big enough to sustain the market. album sales are 100% propped up by the international audience, and people know it judging by how certain fandoms used to obsess over which members cbar fundraised and brought x many albums. if kpop is not expanding somewhere outside of korea, it is not expanding. thats why every company is trying to ride bts' coattails into the west. its the only place left to go if jpn isnt working.

• I mean I am very interested in KPOP continuing its drive to the West, so any drop off in momentum would make me worried, but I'm not really worried as I think the push is alive and well. Look at 2NE1 and Aespa this year at Coachella. BTS and BP made a lot of headway and the level of success they found was unprecedented since it was greater than any KPOP group had found in the West before, butI don't worry about replacing, jsut continuing forward.

• Don't start that mess comparing TXT to BTS. It's so old and does nothing but get them dragged.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• hoonestly speaking bts are likely going to continue to be active musicians well into their 30s. unlike other groups, all the members are pretty much 100% focused on music and while they might b e interested in solo acting and cf gigs int he future, right now it doesn't seem like any of them put their own career goals before the group. so whatever impact bts has on the korean music industry's economy will continue to have influence for years to come.

i do think kpop will hit a wall and sharp decline sooner or later. kpop's general popularity in korea is waning and the current buisness model will not be sustainable forever. album sales are nearing a peak for most current non bts bgs imo. ggs probably have a bit more wiggle room but their sales will never as huge across the board bc of different demographics. kpop as an industry is all aboout the next shiny new thing and sooner or later tossing or letting go of old groups that could have had long/stable careers in favor of the new will catch up with the industry.

People have been saying that Kpop will hit a wall for 20 years now lol.

How are album sales nearing a peak? Every GG and GG is breaking their previous records. And if the peak is 2M albums, how is that even bad? No local act can come anywhere near those numbers anymore, maybe Adele? Taylor?

• Subscribers is the dumbest metric. Do you think everyone who listens to Taylor Swift is subscribed to her on YouTube? Be serious.

Good point. I literally subscribe to zero artists on YouTube (and follow zero artists on Instagram).

To address the larger question, I'm not concerned. I first started listening to K-pop during the First Generation, so I'd have no problem reverting back to that sort of decidedly non-international landscape.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!