Solo stans = AKGAES

• There is very thin line often crossed by solos yet they are not called akgaes...

It's just impossible to be a solo stan and not hate on other members.

As for my experience,

I haven't encountered one solo stan who is respectful about other members even if they don't stan them.

Thoughts?

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• I disagree.

First of all is defining what exactly is a solo stan and how it's different from having a bias in a group.

Then think about what makes this specific idol stand out to them and not the others.

Is this idol also an actor, a soloist, a model?

That makes difference (see Suzy and Hyuna as an example).

Edit: also, I think that a solo stan is closer to stan a group than not.

When Taemin was a member of SuperM, he got many people's attention and they ended up stanning him at first, not knowing much about SHINee's discography. Later, after getting to know SHINee better, they ended up becoming Shawols.

I know many examples like that, including myself and my journey to become a Stay for example.

• Disagree

Akgaes:

Think their fave is being mistreated

Think fans of the member who like the entire group are fake fans

They set other members up

They drag other members

Quote from Example of Akgae

'' All the other members got their teasers put out first, this is obviously *INSERT COMPANY* trying to make her lose popularity. Ugh, the mistreatment is horrible.''

Solo stan:

Support one member

Don't pay attention to the rest of the members

Shows support to other members sometimes

Not that deep

Quote from Example of Solo Stan

'' I love him.'' *Ignores rest of the members*

If a solo stan hates other members, they are not a solo stan. Akgaes tend to push away the fact that they are akgaes.

• Disagree. Depends on the case. I believe most solo stans might be akgaes, some of them more or less extreme. But not every solo stan is an akgae.

Akgae = wishes for the member they stan to leave the group they're part of; actively hates on other members and thinks their fave is being mistreated (as ghostings said above); refuses to stream other members' material

Solo stan = stans 1 member from a certain group but not the group itself (they may like the member's voice, dancing or rapping skills, but not necessarily the group's music); casually follows the group's activities but mostly focus on the member they stan

The literal meaning of akgae in Korean is 악성개인팬 (악= ak; 개= gae) which is malicious individual fan. You can be a 개인팬 (individual fan) without being a 악성개인팬 (malicious individual fan).

• Being a solo stan = okay

Disrespecting the rest of the group =/= not okay

Using the one member you like as a weapon used pawn towards the group as a whole =/= not okay

• I'm a solo stan for some groups and sometimes I also dislike members in that group.

Does that mean I'm going to go on the internet and shit on them every chance I get?

Not really 😕

That's the difference between akgaes and solo stans I think 🤔

Akgaes are usually actively taking shots at other members of the group

I see it as an active vs passive thing

• Disagree completely.

I'd say I'm a Taemin solo stan. Found out about him before I even knew about Shinee. Their music isn't really my taste from what I've heard (minus one song I like), but Taemin's is. I don't anti the rest of Shinee or want him to leave the group. All the members seem really cool and nice. I just haven't gotten into their music to call myself a stan.

There's a very clear line that separates solo stans and akgaes. If you think a solo stan acts like an akgae, then they're just an akgae :nct6:

N Ξ O C I T Y

EWwNl6R.png

• Disagree completely.

I'd say I'm a Taemin solo stan. Found out about him before I even knew about Shinee. Their music isn't really my taste from what I've heard (minus one song I like), but Taemin's is. I don't anti the rest of Shinee or want him to leave the group. All the members seem really cool and nice. I just haven't gotten into their music to call myself a stan.

There's a very clear line that separates solo stans and akgaes. If you think a solo stan acts like an akgae, then they're just an akgae :nct6:

Aren't you more of a "fan" than a "stan"? Do you follow him closely?

• I think people mostly only know of the akgae-ish solo stans, because there is such a stigma against being a solo stan. In many fandoms, solo stans aren't accepted at all and will often experience harassment and bullying so true non-toxic solo stans pbly keep their mouths shut about it.

• well if you're only interested in an artist in a solo manner it makes sense solo stans don't care about the group, since it would normally interfer with their solo activities and take away time from them developing their solos careers.

• I'm a solo stan. I stan Bobby. I love his solo work. I don't vibe with ikon outside of a few songs.

i don't consider that a solo stan, just a regular fan/stan. you might have not even known he was part of a group. you heard his solo music and liked it. liking suga's solo work (agust d) doesn't make you a suga solo stan. you don't care about bts music, just care about his.

as for what i consider a solo stan, stanning only one member who has no work outside the group in question; i don't even get how you get to that point to only like and care about one member when all the content you are getting is group related content. you have to watch such content to see your fave. i don't get it.

and yes, i agree there's a thin line between them.

• I think people mostly only know of the akgae-ish solo stans, because there is such a stigma against being a solo stan. In many fandoms, solo stans aren't accepted at all and will often experience harassment and bullying so true non-toxic solo stans pbly keep their mouths shut about it.

I think you might be right. Just reading all these comments, it sounds like opinions made from very specific personal experiences disregarding the fact that solo stans can logically not have the negative behaviors of akgaes.

Like I don't go into Shinee spaces bc I don't listen to the music, so what do I have to talk about?

Also I think it's important to recognize that most akgaes probably don't call themselves akgaes. They might not even realize they are and just call themselves solo stans.

N Ξ O C I T Y

EWwNl6R.png

• My thoughts exactly.

If said member has a solo discog, you're not a solo stan.

• I 100% agree. Solos stans are akgaes who don't want to call themselves that, for obvious reason.

But it might be a bias, considering that the only two fandoms I am part of are BTS and BP.

For these two groups, solos = akgaes. Big time.

• I think it’s possible to be a solo stan and not an akgae by not hating on the other members, but invariably there comes a point where the line can become thin or waver (esp when the solo stan thinks their fave isn’t getting the opportunities someone else in the group is getting. That’s when it usually comes out.) I do think it depends and becomes very tricky once members become soloists. So for example, if a person likes Baekhyun or Taemin, but isn’t interested in EXO or SHINee, are they still a solo stan, because their solo work can be quite different from the group work..

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I think it depends on if this idol has solo releases and activities. Cause if that idol doesn’t and you only stan that person you have to keep watching and listening to the other members too. So disliking the other members and being bothered by them becomes very likely. But for someone who promotes solo, the other members don’t have to be in the way and the solo stans can peacefully keep stanning them and just ignore the others instead of being negative about them

• I think there's a difference between solo stans who used to stan the group and solo stans who never stanned the group. I've noticed that the latter is usually not toxic while solo stans who once stanned the whole group eventually end up hating the other members and only stanning their bias. For example, I like hwasa a lot but I've never stanned mamamoo, though I do listen to a lot of their music. But because I haven't stanned the group, I haven't gotten to know any of the members, interact with the fandom or fan content, therefore I haven't formed a negative or positive opinion on the other members of mamamoo. Whereas if people stanned the group before they became solo stans, they've interacted both negatively and positively with the fandom, formed opinions on members based on fan content and they would be around more people who show akgae behaviour (e.g complaining about their bias' lines, shading other members, pitting achievements against each other). This would then make them an akgae and it happens more commonly in groups where members have little to no solo content or where there is barely any music from the group at all. This is just an observation of mine though

🍭 iite cool🍭

dpr layouts Tumblr posts - Tumbip.com

• Oh okay, i didn't realize there was a distinction. Yeah, I learned about Bobby cuz I was a fan of Winner/Mino so I checked out MOBB which was amazing. I also loved his part in Epik High's Born Hater. Then, I was blown away by his first solo album, Love and Fall which made me a stan. I have nothing against ikon or the other members. I just don't follow them and he seems to manage doing both just fine anyway. If anything, I just wish we could somehow add MOBB back into his current career, but I guess fandom wars killed that.

• I think there's a difference between solo stans who used to stan the group and solo stans who never stanned the group. I've noticed that the latter is usually not toxic while solo stans who once stanned the whole group eventually end up hating the other members and only stanning their bias. For example, I like hwasa a lot but I've never stanned mamamoo, though I do listen to a lot of their music.

You got a point. I only like Hwasa a lot from mamamoo but I never said anything bad about the other members cause I don’t care enough. They seem likeable and I respect them but that’s it

• I think it’s possible to be a solo stan and not an akgae by not hating on the other members, but invariably there comes a point where the line can become thin or waver (esp when the solo stan thinks their fave isn’t getting the opportunities someone else in the group is getting. That’s when it usually comes out.) I do think it depends and becomes very tricky once members become soloists. So for example, if a person likes Baekhyun or Taemin, but isn’t interested in EXO or SHINee, are they still a solo stan, because their solo work can be quite different from the group work..

Hmmm, I think it's hard for me to understand cuz I started stanning my faves when they were already established senior groups. Maybe the inter-group rivalry is more prevalent on the come up? Like when I started stanning EXO, Baekhyun already had a solo album. But then, I bias Kihyun and he's only getting a solo now. Still, I can't imagine being mad that Jooheon and I.M got solos first. I love what they did too.

Also, I don't follow non-music activities much so I wouldn't realize if certain members were getting way more opportunities than others. Maybe I'd be upset if my group was new and my fave got fewer things to do to get his name out there?

And yeah, there can be quite a bit of difference between group work and solo work. I love EXO's disco but don't necessarily vibe with all the solo albums.

• I think there are solo Stans who just don’t give af about the group.

But Solo Stans who listen to the group content just for their fav are likely to be akgaes I agree.

For example a solo stan who listens or cares about only solo music or their non group related stuff like acting etc can exist peacefully. They just tend to be indifferent towards all the group activity. But the minute there’s a solo stan who also consumes the group content they’ll keep comparing with other members and putting them down or expecting too much for their favs that’s inevitable.

• I disagree. Solo stanning is very different from sending hate and spreading rumors about the rest of the group. Just because someone likes one member doesn't automatically mean they hate the rest of the members. Nothing is that simple. Kpop stans are people, capable of having complex thought (though they tend to not act like it) they can like one member and just not care for the rest, doesn't mean they hate them and want to see them burn. Following one members solo activities, doesn't mean they want them to leave the group and for the rest of the members to flop. There's a very thick line between akgaes and solo stans. Akgaes are delusional fans who think the world revolves around their fave and them only. Solo stans are normal people who just enjoy one member of a group for whatever reason (could be individual talent, visuals, personality, solo music, etc)

• This thread contains 9 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!