Is Celebrity that good or is IU at a point where she can release static noise and it would still Hit the charts?

• ???? 95

1. Yes, Celebrity is that good! Stop reaching! (21) 22%
    2. You make a good point. She could release anything and it would be a block buster hit (74) 78%

Genuine question actually. Cause I’m surprised she been at the top for this long it starting to be on track as her biggest hit ever lowkey. numbers wise. SOTY 2021 perhaps?

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Stats:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• miss-z

Changed the title of the thread from “Is celebrity that good or is IU at a point where she can release static noise and it would still too the charts?” to “Is Celebrity that good or is IU at a point where she can release static noise and it would still too the charts?”.
  • each to their own...if you like the song you like the song

if not dont - there are obviously a lot ot koreans who do thus the PAKs and high charting

• miss-z

Changed the title of the thread from “Is Celebrity that good or is IU at a point where she can release static noise and it would still too the charts?” to “Is Celebrity that good or is IU at a point where she can release static noise and it would still Hit the charts?”.
    • Official Post

Many songs that reach #1 now stay there for WEEKS on end lmao. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone especially considering IU was already a digimon before the chart change.

Also IU songs don't chart well PURELY because of the music and y'all need to understand that. As I said a MILLION times before, her songwriting is really touching and meaningful to alot of Koreans and it's hard for I-fans to understand if they don't speak Korean or don't have one explain the lyrics to them.

I personally think Celebrity deserves the hype, as it's a song about loving yourself and it's very helpful with the current situation.

• IU undoubtedly benefits from her reputation as all artists do that build a legacy and relationship with the public. In that she will get more attention and willingness to check out her releases.

But she also backs up that favorable relationship with consistently strong releases that resonate and speak to the audience she's built up.

If she released low quality releases that relationship would be damaged and eventually lost. But she doesn't. She delivers over and over again.

She's a dynamic artist that can do everything from catchy accessible pop to more intimate ballads as well as songs of quiet introspective emotion.

Celebrity is one of her most catchy and poppish releases and is a perfect track to appeal to listeners. It's a great song. And actually a cool turn for her to more accessible pop that builds on Blueming, another very catchy recent release from her.

I think she (and Celebrity) deserves the attention and praise.

She's one of the very best artists going on popular Korean music. Even if not all international audiences recognize that.

Edited once, last by emanresu ().

• IU does benefit from her reputation, but she benefits from it because she's the one who built it up and consistently backs it up with her releases and interactions with fans throughout the years lol. This song was good. And tbh, I know that the static noise is a hyperbole, but the fans don't even have to worry about her releases because she's in total control of her music—production, lyrics, song-writing, etc.

• A lot might think it's basic or been done already sound, but what really resonate with the korean gp is the lyrics of the song. She wanted to release an light and uplifting song and she has done that with celebrity. She never intended this release to be anything but that.

• Celebrity isn't my favorite IU release by a long shot but it's a well-craft pop song with meaningful lyrics. IU does have a "trust and listen" relationship with the south korean GP but it's a relationship that's been built on a literal decade of nonstop hits. No one else in the country can claim that. So the question isn't really "is celebrity that good [to deserve all these accolades]" - it's more like "the song is catchy and IU sings it well" which is enough for an IU song to top the charts.

• just so people know, celebrity is literally so famous in korea, plays on tv and many other places too, and yes the lyrics of celebrity, iu's lyrics are always known to be very intricate(?) and very well written which aka difficult to translate into english, through the night is a very good example, this one too, and celebrity is such a good song, edm is my fav style so celebrity was so good from the first time i listened, and also IU is so famous and established in korea already, which gave a lot of exposure to the song the moment it's released, and she deserves all of this, and im glad koreans love it, i cant wait for her album!!

• This result is expected from an international poll. A lot of international fans dislike IU.

Objectively speaking, it's a mixture of both answers.

First, it's not IU's best song, but it's still good. Don't come with the basic and generic talk like K-pop was complex and unique. You may find her boring, it's okay. But Koreans love these 'boring' songs. It's supposed to be a bright and uplifting song and it fulfils its purpose. It's catchy and has well written lyrics that convey a meaningful message. There's a Korean word that I forgot that represents what Koreans feel when they listen to songs like IU's. And this song has a lot of replayability, so it keeps charting.

Second, yes, it helps a lot the fact that it was released by her. She didn't even need to promote the song for it to get popular. If it was released by someone else it wouldn't reach the same height. But, in the same way, a song by a top group released by a nugu group also wouldn't reach the same height. But it doesn't discredit her. If she released a bad song Koreans wouldn't listen to it. The Korean GP is not a cult-like fandom that listens to anything she releases and mass stream it just for the numbers. At least I like to think they have free-will.

Third, she's only charting this much because of the changes that occurred. It was much harder to chart for a long time before. Too many unstable charts that were easily manipulated by mass streaming. The only song that did an impressive job was Zico's Any Song that managed to achieve 330 PAKs with the Soribada chart.

• it's not a bad song but definitely one of her weakest singles ever. i remember reading so many korean viral tweets praising the lyrics or ppl doing the challenge, there's even a video of her smiling and it has like a 1m views on youtube lmao she's very loved and i dont think korea will let her flop in a long long time

• PAKs is about how popular the artist is and not how good the song is.

Don't get my point wrong. I really like Celebrity, but is clearly not a hit song in term of number.

Celebrity digital in Gaon is dropping quite fast 37 -> 46 -> 39. A hit song should has more consistency digital and should drop more slowly like example: Dynamic and Any Song.

• I think IU is consistent enough to where it would hit the charts. If she put out a hot garbage-y "flash-in-the-pan" track, I think it wouldn't chart like a catalog-quality single.

I feel the same way about "Celebrity" as I do for Twice's "More & More". The verse is good, but after a point where the "vocal phasing" effect happens in or after the chorus, it slips and hits a low point.

• I wish she would try something different. Something very different from what she has been releasing for years now. She can certainly afford to do so since the Korean GP seem to eat just about anything she puts out there.

You hate me? Well, remember it's mind over matter. I do not mind and you do not matter.

9469e72bd497f024e0531bc6136b58c078539597.gif

• I wish she would try something different. Something very different from what she has been releasing for years now. She can certainly afford to do so since the Korean GP seem to eat just about anything she puts out there.

isn't "celebrity" very different from anything else she's released.... IU's discography is actually pretty niche/genre-influenced (less pop overall but recent songs are definitely more pop-influenced). what's your definition of different - what everyone else in kpop is releasing?

• This thread contains 3 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!