Group Vs Solo careers

• Are soloists who are/were a part of a group less successful compared to their group careers?

Particularly if the group is no more promoting.

Taeyeon is not as successful as a SNSD-Taeyeon

Soyou is not as successful as SISTAR

Park Bom

Hyuna, Sunmi as well - even though they did not spend much time in groups.

Is it because companies prefer to manage groups and don't put in much for soloists?

Or is it because the fandom actually dug the group dynamic and don't care as much when their faves go solo? - Over time.

Now that former Iz*one idols are going solo, how will they fare?

And if Twice, BlackPink members go solo - with groups on long hiatus or disbanded, how will they fare.

They might do better than many solo-from-start soloists, but for that Great Exception - IU. But will they fare as well as their groups did?

• Chungha has a pretty good standing after all of this time since i.o.i.

I feel like soloist careers have less draw simply because there are less idols per branding but they certainly do last longer. (especially when compared to survival show groups)

Soloists from groups certainly do have a long career ahead of them.

• Soloists only have partial interest from fans and casuals of their groups. Since their initial fame is attached to their group, it's hard for them to outperform their groups.

But internationally they are still in a much better position than pure soloists.

• It depends

If a soloist only appeals to the their group fandom, then there is not alot of space to grow for them

They have to find their own niche that is separate from the group

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It depends

If a soloist only appeals to the their group fandom, then there is not alot of space to grow for them

They have to find their own niche that is separate from the group

Yes.. but I think even the fandom does not care much if a group member goes solo and they fade away. Particularly if the group is no more active.

• taeyeon is the most successful female soloist along with iu and im pretty sure hyuna and sunmi have success more as soloists than in gps :danceb:

Compared with SNSD, compared with 2NE1, compared with Wonder Girls - success depends on what you compare with.

The groups still had far more success relatively than their solo careers.

IU - well she is an exception, when it comes to digitals, perhaps only BTS comes even close, and they are still 5-6 years to catch up and she is still active.

Ignore IU, she is an outlier. Can't be used for comparisons.

• hyuna is from 4 minute not 2ne1 :pepe-sad: sunmi become popular after she started her solo career and 4 minute is called Hyuna & girls because hyuna is popular for her solo career and she's way more popular than the other members :pepe-notes:

Yes.. sorry Hyuna was initially in Wonder Girls then 4Minute.. then question arises why did cube make a group at all.. than letting her be a soloist?

I mention two factors in the OP.

1. Agencies dislike Soloist - Hyuna is an example,

2. Then fans not liking former grouper turned Soloist as much as they liked the group - Hyuna is not an example.

• It makes sense that groups are bigger than the soloist. The group is the original debut and the main reason why solo idols get famous in the first place. It also helps they don't have just their individual fans but also the fans of other members to boost sales.

So once they go solo they effectively reduce their main audience and promotional impact. Taeyeon had a big hit last year and 2019 was a stellar year for her but when you compare to CBs such as the likes of Gee, Genie The Boys etc without even counting sales there's a massive difference in scale and anticipation. SNSD made national news for upcoming CBs and would be highly anticipated for non music activities, meanwhile Taeyeon even at her most highly anticipated simply can't match up to that level of hype.

Same goes for other soloists from 2ne1, WG, Sistar, BP or RV. The groups have huge hits and hype that members on their own can't match that.

• It makes sense that groups are bigger than the soloist. The group is the original debut and the main reason why solo idols get famous in the first place. It also helps they don't have just their individual fans but also the fans of other members to boost sales.

So once they go solo they effectively reduce their main audience and promotional impact. Taeyeon had a big hit last year and 2019 was a stellar year for her but when you compare to CBs such as the likes of Gee, Genie The Boys etc without even counting sales there's a massive difference in scale and anticipation. SNSD made national news for upcoming CBs and would be highly anticipated for non music activities, meanwhile Taeyeon even at her most highly anticipated simply can't match up to that level of hype.

Same goes for other soloists from 2ne1, WG, Sistar, BP or RV. The groups have huge hits and hype that members on their own can't match that.

Well I have stated both the possibilities already

#1. Agencies don't promote soloists as well they promote groups - but any idea why?

Possible reasons - Agencies rather not risk one person dependency, also multiple people can bring more revenue from non-song activity.

#2. Groups get more fandom support, than soloists even from the same group - again why?

Possible reasons - fans dig the group dynamic.

• Rain is who comes to mind when I'm thinking of solo artists who have *unquestionably* surpassed their previous group's success.

• I wonder if it's less about surpassing their previous group's success, and more about preserving their music career and surpassing the longevity. Even if the particular individual WANTS the group to last forever and ever, that's still dependent on the moods and interests and life statuses of at least one other person.

I think there's also potentially an argument to consider "success" from the perspective of legacy. Take Lee Hyori. It's hard to argue that, as a soloist, her sales have exceeded Fin.KL, who was so successful that DSP Media was part of the big three back in the day. But from an impact on future idols, particularly showing the ability for a woman to own her own success on her own terms, it's hard to dispute that Lee Hyori has done more there than Fin.KL ever managed.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• Rain is who comes to mind when I'm thinking of solo artists who have *unquestionably* surpassed their previous group's success.

Take Lee Hyori. It's hard to argue that, as a soloist, her sales have exceeded Fin.KL,

I was not even aware that Rain was once a part of group. And definitely yes Hyori had as good or even better a career as soloist than with Fin KL.

So this might not hold true for the 1st Gen. Even Hyuna/Sunmi are borderline cases.

whoa never knew rain was originally part of a boy group

and regarding the OP's questions, kpop agencies tend to prefer groups over soloists because internationally groups are more popular. however I would argue taeyeon, chungha, sunmi, and hyuna had better INDIVIDUAL brand recognition, earnings, and popularity as a solo than when they were part of a group (so they are better off as soloists now)

• hmm I think the group dynamic is a selling point...plenty of ships, subunits, chemistry, pretty choreos and so on and yes I do think companies market groups better than the soloists that come from it. I think this is because they have newer groups to focus on and new groups need more aggressive promotion to get their name out there when they start out compared to a 6-7 year old group that have had their share of promotion, their own hits and have already had their name out..

But taeyeon is one of the most successful gg soloists out there. Besides chunga/hwasa I doubt anyone that debuted after her can compete on kcharts...

Desbundar

• To be honest...i'll use up10tion as an example.

Up10tion was in no means hurting but Jinhyuk and Wooseok wanted to try for x1 so they did. Jinhyuk didn't make it but Wooseok did. Wooseok's popularity boosted and he does have a moderately decent fan base and 2 solo albums out.

Jinhyuk gained some recognition as well and has 4 solo albums out. There are some songs i like of both but overall I like them better with up10tion. Up10tion feels like it's missing it's heart with one member enlisted and Top Media keeping Jinhyuk and Wooseok away. It's been 3 comebacks now and those two still haven't been brough back to the group.

either TM is afraid of the akgaes or they just want to keep them away from the group. Whatever the reason is, I feel like they are stronger with the group than being soloists. Of course, this is my personal opinion and i'm not dragging them at all. They are extremely talented, but again as i have repeated twice, they bring that uniqueness that made me love Up10tion and every comeback while i Love them, it always feels like something is missing.

Their contract is up this year and I really hope they renew AS 10...but even if it's just as 7 or 8 when Jinhoo comes back i will still support them. I bought every album that jinhyuk and wooseok has out because even though i miss them i still want to support them.

A ton of us feel that if Top Media brought them back it would boost the popularity of Up10tion even further so we can't understand why TM still separates them what is the benefit of doing so?

• debuted after her as a soloist or just debuted after her.. if just debuted after her and kcharts.. there is one digimon soloist that even groups can't touch.

Ah I meant like she's one amongst successful gg idol soloists. Outside the kpop genre there are several successful soloists but they cater to a genre like trot or rap...

Desbundar

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!