5th generation are coming and groups who debut next year are 5th gen

• 5th Gen Groups with the most monthly listeners on Spotify right now:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• hilarious when you refuse to do it before just bc you don't want izone and G idle be in 3.5 gen

it's more

Idle

Izone

loona

4.gen:

Aespa

Ive

NMIXX

LSRFM

New Jeans

Kepler

5th gen

RUNext

El7up

Baemon

Hybe Dream Academy

JYPE's American GG

• Natty truly is one of the best performers of the 5th gen

• I think generation changes can only be called after they have happened. Looking at GGs, aespa is kind of the first undisputed 4th gen group, anything before is always under debate whether its 3 or 4. That generation change wasn't exactly obvious when they debuted but rather when Next Level was released. IVE/NJ/LSFM further cemented the transition into the 4th gen era.

That's why it's silly to be calling 5th gen before the debut of some group. The transition from 2nd to 3rd gen was very similar with groups like Twice, RV and GFriend releasing their first megahits and overshadowing the 2nd gen groups. It didn't really happen the moment they debuted.

If you consider that 3rd gen was roughly from 2015 to 2021 it's completely absurd to be calling 5th gen in 2023 just because MNET says so. 4th gen only started 2 years ago and is currently in it's peak period which you could say started with NJ debut. The absolute 4th gen domination has only been going for a bit over a year.

Also if you look at BGs, how are we going into 5th gen when 3rd gen groups are still at the top?

• I think 4th gen should really start with late 2020 with aespa's debut, because yeah as someone else said Next Level was the first song where it really felt like something shifted.

Like 2019 was absolutely dominated by 3rd gen groups still, let alone 2018. It makes sense for 3rd gen to be a bit longer because that was the gen where kpop broke out globally (particularly BTS/BP/Twice). I think 5th gen shouldn't be until like 2028.

• 4th gen started in 2018 with (G)I-DLE and Stray Kids and tbh the generations are more loosely based around the 7-year contracts than anything else.

2nd gen: 2003-2011

3rd gen: 2012-2017

4th gen: 2018-present

I would say 4th has maybe 1-2 more years MAX before 5th gen debuts. The industry is trying to change the "generations" to say that 5th gen is now because the competition in 4th gen is steep (3rd gen is still relevant) and it looks a lot better for their newer groups to be considered "top group of their generation".

• I think 4th gen should really start with late 2020 with aespa's debut, because yeah as someone else said Next Level was the first song where it really felt like something shifted.

Like 2019 was absolutely dominated by 3rd gen groups still, let alone 2018. It makes sense for 3rd gen to be a bit longer because that was the gen where kpop broke out globally (particularly BTS/BP/Twice). I think 5th gen shouldn't be until like 2028.

By that argument then 3rd Gen didn't start till 2016 - that was the proverbial pop-off year where 3rd gen groups arrived.

So BTS and Mamamoo are 2nd gen groups?

• ATEEZ was the actual first group that was almost completely undisputed as 4th gen, so they ended up becoming the first 4th gen group, with every group after them being pretty much unanimously agreed upon as 4th gen (I say "pretty much" because I'm sure there's someone out there who'll try to argue that it's still 3rd gen in 2023 :clown: ). The groups leading up to them became 3.5th gen, with LOONA regarded as the last big 3rd gen group.

The same thing will happen with 5th gen. Once there's an almost completely undisputed group that sparks a series of equally undisputed groups, they will mark the generation shift. That hasn't happened yet, so at best the currently debated groups are going to be 4.5th gen.

Although honestly the generation system feels very shaky lately. Could be that it's on the way out.

• You're 100% right about the industry trying to force the generation change due to competition, but it's kind of funny that you bring that up while calling G-Idle and Stray Kids 4th gen, because the same exact thing is actually happening retroactively. They were basically unanimously regarded as 3rd gen until 2019 when suddenly their fans started trying to push them as 4th gen because they realized they couldn't compete with 3rd gen juggernauts like BTS and BP. Then around 2021 the industry finally started playing along (probably a lot of money changed hands), and by now, only a couple short years later, most people seem to have forgotten the history of the actual start of the 4th gen (even people who were around at that time). Kind of scary how easily history can be rewritten like that :iconpepe:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!