Witch-hunting, cancel culture, and liars

• Lately, this community (k-pop) has seen a rise in controversies and tragedies, so let's delve deep into what exactly is going on right now.

At the moment, there are three big controversies. I won’t name names (as one of them I have already been very vocal about) but I will say this: over my dead body will another member leave a group over allegations with zero proof. Also, if you’re an edgy little fuck who’s gonna comment “well you’re gonna die then”, you can kindly get the fuck out of this thread. You don’t take anything seriously unless your faves are involved and they would probably be ashamed of your behavior. You are not funny, and you are not cool for jumping on a hate bandwagon.

If you want to wait to report bullying until your bully is famous, maybe consider the possibility that you are the one with an issue. Yes, it’s true that you can be stupid and rude as a kid, but our brains don’t fully develop until our 20’s, and ruining a career over something that occurred years ago (that was probably not that serious anyway) is sick. That’s someone’s livelihood and wellbeing going down the drain.

I don’t know how many times I have to say this but:

1. Apologizing is NOT an admission of guilt
    2. No one should have to apologize for something they didn’t do
    3. Getting kicked out from a group is not an admission of guilt either

The people who claim that they actually care about the “victim” in these situations are the most despicable. Don’t act so high and fucking mighty when I know damn well some of you were calling Sulli “lolita” etc. a couple of years ago. You don’t give a damn about anyone as long as your hate boner is stroked hard enough.

For example, remember Taylor Swift? In 2016 Kanye West said “I feel like me and Taylor might still have sex, why? I made that bitch famous” (he didn’t btw) in his song, and Taylor fired back. Kanye released video “evidence” that Taylor approved of the lyrics, when she, in fact, did NOT. Well, #TaylorSwiftIsOverParty trended worldwide, and people told her to kill herself, flooded her comment section with snake emojis, and called her all sorts of names. She disappeared until 2017 with her new album “reputation” basically calling out everything that happened to her, and acknowledging she was in a better place.

No one ever really apologized to her, and in 2019, video evidence came out that Taylor Swift was telling the truth. Again, there were no apologies and all of the sudden, all of that torment and hate directed towards her was for absolutely nothing.

I recommend watching this 1:50 clip about what happened and the effects it had on her, because it really is relevant to this.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

THAT^ is how idols feel when this shit happens to them and horrible people perpetuate it too. Your words have consequences.

Go ahead and call me a bully apologist, but this is getting out of control. Statistically, it is not possible that THIS many idols were actually ‘bullies” in their past. It’s not feasible or realistic in the slightest.

Edited once, last by FeLiNa ().

• At the end of the day none of these people really are about the victims. They just get a moral high by canceling someone and feel alittle better about their own empty lives.

its literally a feel good action for them to think they have a say over someone else's life and career.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I said this before in another thread, even if Soojin did say that 'she will leave the group if the allegations were true', it does not necessarily mean the allegations were true even though she left the group/was kicked out.

For example, if I say that 'I will leave my house if it stops raining', just because I leave my house 5 minutes later, does not necessarily mean that it stopped raining.

Just because someone said that they will do A if B happens, doesn't mean that if they did A, B actually did happen.

I just want to make this clear for those who say that Soojin leaving/kicked out is her admitting guilt because it isn't.

• SooJin didn't leave, she was kicked out. Easy as.

CUBE cut their losses.

• It sets a terrible precedent for the future. Don't be surprised if this only inspires people to make up fake rumors to bring down those they dislike.

Also, Taylor Swift never deserved any hate. It's frustrating to me how she was America's it girl at one point, with people feeling bad for her due to the Kanye VMA incident, to being hated due to the narrative that she "dates too many guys." It really just comes to show that people are sheep and can't think for themselves when it comes to how they feel about public figures.

Taylor deserved none of that, it was victim shaming at its worse.

• she didnt even date that many guys and even if she did its no one's business. america loves cheating rappers that sleep with different women every night but hate women for dating?? either let both live or condemn both

Misogynist pigs with small dicks. All I have to say about them.

The part about them having a brain size measuring to their dick is implied.

AKA SMALL!

• The moral and virtue signalling is so strong when it comes to reactions towards a public figure.

Not only in Kpop I'd say, but worldwide. This also happens with public figures in my country.

Netizens have this "God's Syndrome" that is ready to judge without thinking twice and ignores humanity and the complexity of relationships in general. The hivemind on the internet in particular is sickening.

Also, every situation/scandal is different from each other, how they're handled and what actually happened. Comparing different situations is unfair for everyone.

At the end of the day, the heavy backlash the person receives is just not equivalent to the situation that happened, especially since none of these netizens are involved personally in the situation, and now the public is the actual "villain".

• First things first!!

scandals in kpop

You are right about people jumping in conclusions waaaay faster than necessary and this could ruin someone career and even future plans which leads to various problems like depression, anxiety and many more.

We really need to change this mindset that whenever something happens our opinions are super necessary when it's just makes things worse, waaaay worse.

bullying in kpop

bullying shouldn't be excused tbh... Just if it's a fight between kids and others are spreading fake rumors, but if the allegations turn out to be true, then we have no right to excuse such behavior bc we think our faves changed and are better "now"... We literally can't use: they were kids, you suck, you are jealous kind of thing ..

Sure people obviously changed, but bullying does so much harm to others that we can't be telling them to grow up and forget about it. It's more complex than it and the amount of suicide should show us this.

fights and bullying are different

actually majority of kpop cases of bullying are the first one... Just petty fights between kids so yes, an investigation needs to be done and idols and companies should do their best in sueing all these clowns wanting attention and the same way we have people faking bullying allegations we also have antis who are <X sad people who feel good when things go wrong to the ones they hate...

Anyways, it's a fight cycle that i don't see ending for now neither in the future... Hate is becoming even more encouraged... Sad, bit true...

My conclusion: bullying cases are difficult to comment about bc it's literally a 50/50 situation of being true or false...

Congrats for arriving here! You are a fighter kkkkk

• Iggy Azalea

Afaik she was cancelled because she was stealing from black culture a lot and even having a black people culture way of speaking, kinda like the Kylie Jenner of music but she yeah she didn't have the backup/money/following to get through it like Kylie.

----------------------

Personally I think Soojin is not innocent and there's chance these "wrongdoings" really do come to haunt us in the future, it's a question of luck and how much your life can be affected by it. I don't really know the details of the allegation and my opinion is only valid if it wasn't something super serious (which I don't think it was), but she def didn't need to get out of the group when you have so many other celebrities out there with worse scandals that promote fine.

Kpop fans are bunch of hypocrites, they will call out other people and go blind to their faves, even these so called neutral fans"i don't stan any groups", "i don't live in a parasocial relationship" whatever that they say to make their opinion more valid.

• Don't get surprised if Billie Eilish or Olivia Rodrigo start getting hate. One day, it's popular to love and praise them. The next, it's popular to clown on them for the most childish reasons.

oh, well it’s already started with Billie, hasn’t it? Because, God forbid she is now an adult and is not hiding her body in the same way… and since then I’ve seen articles about how her music is now going downhill and she’s boring and just recently for some old clips of her lip syncing along to a song with a racial slur in and speaking in a silly voice that people were also saying was racist.

• oh, well it’s already started with Billie, hasn’t it? Because, God forbid she is now an adult and is not hiding her body in the same way… and since then I’ve seen articles about how her music is now going downhill and she’s boring and just recently for some old clips of her lip syncing along to a song with a racial slur in and speaking in a silly voice that people were also saying was racist.

exactly, and she has tourrettes

• This is my comment from a previous thread:

Yeah guys want only to eradicate the bullies that became celebrities what about people who justed lead normal lives shouldn't they also face consequences of their actions ? Or it it's only bothers when these people become rich and famous , Korea as a whole has a bully mentality as soon as someone has some sort of power they use it against someone to destroy their lives.

This victims only care when their "bully" become famous it's been three years since g-idle made thier debut why didn't they speak then why didn't speak before ? I remember once i read this article about this idol who was presumed to be a bully and the victim said that they couldn't bare to watch the idol on TV the victim said that at first they didn't mind but now what type of statement is this ? Sometimes the so called victims act like a bully and they only seek revenge

ShufenShufen

Edited once, last by nana18 ().

• This is my comment from a previous thread:

Yeah guys want only to eradicate the bullies that became celebrities what about people who justed lead normal lives shouldn't they also face consequences of their actions ? Or it it's only bothers when these people become rich and famous , Korea as a whole has a bully mentality as soon as someone has some sort of power they use it against someone to destroy their lives.

This victims only care when their "bully" become famous it's been three years since g-idle made thier debut why didn't they speak then why didn't speak before ? I remember once i read this article about this idol who was presumed to be a bully and the victim said that they couldn't bare to watch the idol on TV the victim said that at first they didn't mind but now what type of statement is this ? Sometimes the so called victims act like a bully and they only seek revenge

Tbh it's understanable, I don't know how far did soojin's actions go, but think about the bully of your school back in the day that made other peoples lives miserable... don't you think would it be unfair to see everyone praising them when you know what they really was like? I felt like this about the bullies in my class when I wasn't even the person bullied, imagine the victims who will carry the memories and trauma forever.

I also agree she didn't need to drop out of the group tho if this is a thing of the past.

• Well… everyone can play social justice warrior.

When people get outraged in such situations, it’s very often not about the victim nor is it about justice, it’s about them and them feeling morally superior.

I sometimes have the feeling we are surrounded by a herd of narcissists.

• Tbh it's understanable, I don't know how far did soojin's actions go, but think about the bully of your school back in the day that made other peoples lives miserable... don't you think would it be unfair to see everyone praising them when you know what they really was like? I felt like this about the bullies in my class when I wasn't even the person bullied, imagine the victims who will carry the memories and trauma forever.

I also agree she didn't need to drop out of the group tho if this is a thing of the past.

Imagine your career get ruined over something you did when you were 15 or something and you did or said and there's no way into coming back, people grow and change, and everything about this situation is hypocritical Korea is known for school bullying and the only people who faces consequence are idols, the problem should be fixed from it core

• Well… everyone can play social justice warrior.

When people get outraged in such situations, it’s very often not about the victim nor is it about justice, it’s about them and them feeling morally superior.

I sometimes have the feeling we are surrounded by a herd of narcissists.

I was going to say exactly this (but not so well worded of course!)

that's exactly how I feel that things are going, it's absurd.

• Billie is already cancelled haven’t you been keeping up. She “queer baited” (don’t ask how real life ppl can queer bait”) but then dated a boy.

• The problem is that some people abuse the "always trust the victim" paradigm. It makes it very easy to tarnish one's reputation.

And witch-hunters don't really care about what is true or not. They just want everyone to be punished so that they can claim the moral high ground.

• well I'm always for the lasseiz faire option...

you can do whatever you want in relation to cancelling people etc it's your choice...

you want to cancel someone - that is your right

you want to defend someone - that too is your right

the advent of the internet and social media has given rise to the court of public opinion which is both a good thing and bad thing...

• The problem is that some people abuse the "always trust the victim" paradigm. It makes it very easy to tarnish one's reputation.

And witch-hunters don't really care about what is true or not. They just want everyone to be punished so that they can claim the moral high ground.

With this, they also make it harder for people to question things reported when it doesn’t make much sense to them… since “always trust the victim” is the argument they work with… you questioning things makes you a terrible person.

So it’s literally also gatekeeping discussion. Since they claim a moral high ground, you in the contrary must be a immoral monster.

• Imagine your career get ruined over something you did when you were 15 or something and you did or said and there's no way into coming back, people grow and change, and everything about this situation is hypocritical Korea is known for school bullying and the only people who faces consequence are idols, the problem should be fixed from it core

Something you did when you were 15 is different from bullying, like I said I don't know the details of what happened and it's not like she was dropped from the label, she'll probably debut solo once people forget. And it doesn't affect only idols, the thing is idols live off from their "kind and nice" image, much like a lot of celebrities, so when it's tarnished of course people are going to want consequences to be given like for the person to reflect or in show how they changed in a PR way.

I do agree that bullying should be fixed in the school tho, students and even teachers should step up but it's so rare.

https://www.allkpop.com/articl…ccused-of-school-bullying
    This quote from the victim sums it well.

And yeah, most people will not go after the person that caused them distress if they don't see they again, but if they see them every other day on TV being praised for their personality when you know how they're really like? It's not going to happen.

• This thread contains 2 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!