KPOP will die in the West Along With BTS at this rate

• Kpop is definitely not losing its appeal or fans. I am more curious about the industry POV whether they will tolerate another big non English act or this is all just a ruse and they are just cashing in on the moment

They will allow what they can profit from.

• If I'm being really honest, I don't think many even care about KPOP, they only care about BTS and also BP. Because those 2 are the top KPOP acts there and collabs probably bring them some sort of clout.

If they really care about KPOP artists would have listened to more songs from various groups to really widen their scope.

The industry only cares about taking advantage of what is popular and using it to their advantage

Good point

• Good point

Like .... think of a KPOP x Western collab that isn't done with a lesser known group.

This is the only collab that I know of and it's only because I'm a fan of WhyDontWe. Or else every other collab that I could possibly think of now is BTS + BP + Red Velvet + probably some upper tier groups. The industry doesn't care about KPOP acts unless they are popular

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• If I'm being really honest, I don't think many even care about KPOP, they only care about BTS and also BP. Because those 2 are the top KPOP acts there and collabs probably bring them some sort of clout.

If they really care about KPOP artists would have listened to more songs from various groups to really widen their scope.

The industry only cares about taking advantage of what is popular and using it to their advantage

Same with everyone who wants a piece of bts😆.

It’s like - let’s mention on SoMe that we love them and hopefully Army will love me.🤢.

• Like .... think of a KPOP x Western collab that isn't done with a lesser known group.

This is the only collab that I know of and it's only because I'm a fan of WhyDontWe. Or else every other collab that I could possibly think of now is BTS + BP + Red Velvet + probably some upper tier groups. The industry doesn't care about KPOP acts unless they are popular

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

AB6IX also worked with Lizzo on a truly bizarre version of Truth Hurts!

A.C.E is probably the only other one I can think of.

The industry is full on using kpop for clout and will do so as long as it works for them. That's why every other female pop singer has singles or remixes with a well known rapper. Like I see a lot of people call out Korean shows for using BTS for clout, but no one ever calls out something like Pop Tarts tweeting about how much they love BTS. Like no you don't you just love social media engagement.

• The Western industry doesn't have to tolerate anything. BTS are where they are today because of their fans, and their fans didn't need the Western industry to hear about them in the first place. Or am I wrong?

The first ones during Dope era didn't (most found on YT), but it's a fact that they gained a lot of fans because of their BBMAs and AMAs exposure during DNA era. I agree that fans can replace industry push, but they can gatekeep an artist with narratives and influence.

• Every has-been, every music act promoting something, every over 40 actor, every over the age of 50, everyone in the US wants to tap into the Army pool.

Like who gives a s…. that James Corden says he loves bts.

No you don’t you just go with whats popular with generation mz.

Because that means money.

Get some digital skills and do your own work🤨.

It’s freaking sickening as it is not benefiting bts.

Buy their albums if you love them and shut up on SoMe about how much you like Jimins suit in PTD. He doesn’t give a s… about you anyhow😂.

Same goes with koreans in the entertainment business: everyone wants to say something about them and give their two cents in every interview they give about Jins looks etc. Shut up!

If someone in Korea is promoting something they mention bts. Where were Epik High when bts broke through? Now it’s a different tune cause now bts has massive clout and they have something to promote.

Same on YT with all the bts tags and vlogs about someone claiming to know all about kpop training.

Rant over 😬

• The first ones during Dope era didn't (most found on YT), but it's a fact that they gained a lot of fans because of their BBMAs and AMAs exposure during DNA era. I agree that fans can replace industry push, but they can gatekeep an artist with narratives and influence.

That's what I'm saying. They first won fans over which then led them to BBMAs and AMAs. They didn't need the Western industry to kickstart them. With youtube and spotify, this era's over; things can trend and go viral even outside the industry's control. So really the gatekeeping is minimal.

• Like I see a lot of people call out Korean shows for using BTS for clout, but no one ever calls out something like Pop Tarts tweeting about how much they love BTS.

But BTS fans actually did, back in 2018 etc they discussed a lot about the "fake love" BTS was receiving, but they stopped nowadays I think bc 1. complaining only backfired, 2. they're past it and 3. they can't keep up with it. In the end it's better to embrace bc promo is promo.

• kpop will not die. as long as there are fans who want to listen to kpop and kpop is readily available in platforms, it will not die. everything is readily available in the internet.

my opinion: there might be a very rare chance for another bts. bts might be the only

k-act who do what they do without us label, without bundling, wihout playlisting and without payola atm.

they sold out multiple days of massive stadiums 5th year into career with no promoted English songs yet (2018).

• They will keep collaborating with kpop acts as long as fans pay attention to it. They have done it before: JYJ with Kanye, WG with Will Smith, Nickelodeon and others, 2ne1 with Will.I.am, 4minute with Steve Aoki, etc and after that generation we had Wendy with John Legend and Ricky Martin, Monsta X with French Montana and Steve Aoki, Far East Movement also worked with Chanyeol and Tiffany, KDA existence, and ofc my faves NCT with Ava Max, Jason Derulo, Pretty Much and HRVY.

Collabs will always happen, not matter if one or two groups disappear. Western companies know how much profit and attention kpop fans bring

• You know there is another aspect to this.

Kpop might die in Korea itself, if Western industry decides to push aggressively into that market.

After all if Koreans are willing to enjoy English songs from BTS, Justin Bieber doing great in the charts and many Western songs have been periodically charting well..Anne Marie, Lauv, Maroon 5-- then there is a opening for the Western acts in Korea.

Kpop is not that culturally rooted like Trot or Gugak etc., that West can't replace it .

'Language' is the biggest factor either way. And the chances that more Koreans take to English is higher than English speakers taking to Korean.

To the West Kpop is a rival industry, they might as much compete, as they would collaborate.

And label owners are business chasing profit - cultural ownership is just yet another promotional tactic.

Nation's pride can easily be pawned, if the returns are justified.

• Interesting question OP. I think that the niche will remain for sure but the attention that kpop has garnered from BTS's success will definitely die down to what it was before. Western media and its music industry gave BTS (and kpop by extension) the time of day because of the level of impact that came along with BTS's growth. Take that away and you don't have much left to talk about as no other group will be able to reach that level.

• Fair opinion. The future is always uncertain but the last point is what I’m more curious on. Do you think the industry can stop another BTS from happening if they want to? After all BTS climb in the west was a surprise, the west thought they were a fad and not coming to stay

No, I don't. Maybe if there was no social media, then yes. But in this day an age it's the people that drive the media not the other way around. If something becomes super popular online then there is very little the West can do but grab their surfboards and ride the waves. Which you can see them attempting to do now by signing all these top name Kpop idols to their labels and partnering up with Korean companies like SM and HYBE and JYP to make their own Western Versions of BTS. As the saying goes, if you can't beat them, join them.

Also, this is a bit of a digression - BUT.

I remember even before BTS blew up in the west, back when I was on OneHallyu, I had made a post about how I thought it was possible for a Kpop group to attain the kind of popularity that BTS now has in the West and I was and laughed at and told in long paragraphs just why such a thing was impossible from 'racism' to 'kpop being too weird' and more.

I remember mentioning one way a Kpop group could do it was to take the Disney approach by making a sitcom using the Kpop group as a form of pre-debut promotion like they did with Big Time Rush or Hanna Montana, shows that actually gave birth to many of the celebs that we have today like Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, or Miley Cyrus. At the time I think a show like Make it Pop was on TV and I imagined a group like Twice would have been better for it, if only they spoke fluent english.

So, even though many people were surprised when BTS blew up in the West, I was not. The only thing that surprised me was that it was BTS and not some other group. I honestly didn't see them coming.

When the West met BTS a lot of the Western Industry was ignorant to how Kpop fan bases operated so it's no surprise they thought BTS was just a fad. They had no clue the kind of obsessive, almost cult-like, influence that Kpop groups ignite in their fans that is unlike most Western artists. Kpop fan culture on a whole is a lot more insane and they want in.

PZzbipI.gif

Somebody lied to me and told me this girl's name was "Son Maya" but it's actually "Guinn Myah"?? :clown:

Anyway click link and support <3 Guinn Myah

• Kpop fan culture on a whole is a lot more insane and they want in.

True. Why would any Western music business not want some of that Army money? Companies care way more about the dollar bills' color than the artists' color. That's why you see insanely priced Rolling Stone collector's editions. Like, why the f not? They see BTS's fan driven numbers and they want some of it.

SSJ/OT6 comeback waiting room...

SSJ.png

• I think people are delusional if they think America will allow another BTS.

No one "allowed" BTS, yet BTS happened.

• I don't think dying is the right term. I think recede is more correct. K-pop didn't magically show up in the West with BTS. It has a niche following here and once BTS is long gone it will still have a niche following here. The niche just got slightly larger. I always look at it like anime which flirted with being mainstream with Pokemon and Naruto, but ultimately retained it's niche following.

I also do think you can never say never. People thought no one would able to break through with a Spanish language song again despite a fair portion of the US speaking it and then we had Despacito.

My thoughts exactly. Kpop will continue and obviously will have a bigger audience than they did years ago, but it will go back to being a niche like it was before (actually, it is still a niche right now, but BTS is straddling both the kpop and pop world, which is why it looks like it has grown so much).

BTS’s height can possibly happen again, but the new group would need an ARMY like BTS had for this to happen. They would need a fandom so big that no amount of gatekeeping from here will block the group.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!