Why EXO and SEVENTEEN tends to be the most downplayed boy groups out there ?

• i have noticed these two groups Kpop fans love to downplay their success and talent...

i don't know if is only me that see this.

talented groups that i can say have the two best vocal lines in kpop and huge success through their entire career.

why is the need to trash them all the time? their fans are mostly nice and quiet

• beyoncesvt

Changed the title of the thread from “Why are EXO and SEVENTEEN the most downplayed boy groups out there ?” to “Why EXO and SEVENTEEN tends to be the most downplayed boy groups out there ?”.
  • Exo-Thanks to Sh*T Management's nonexistent promotions for Exo and their hiatus, newbies don't really notice Exo that much. They don't really know much about them and know them as a random group that existed.

Seventeen-For a pretty large fandom the Carats are extremely quiet and you barely find ones hanging around here.

• Not only here, but on various forums, twitter, tumblr, quora etc

I like that both Carats and Ls are not too loud about achievements, being humble is a step towards quieter atmosphere.

I know how much SVT is downplayed, it's baffling. The boys are doing so good and are so talented and kind. Regardless of what antis say, SVT will keep rising and continue to release amazing music.

As for EXO, where do I start?

Everything from their sales, their hits, their relevancy, People even come for Growl's relevancy and impact in this day and age (Can you believe it?), discrediting them in every single way, questioning every single record of theirs..... Now we have people trying to spin a narrative about them not reviving physical sales market.. Which is bullshit and I won't be wasting my time to argue with those idiots.

Not only that, People kept believing EXO was never the first choice for Olympics which is just BS on next level.

And also, I don't know why them being brand ambassadors irks some people... Like, Did you see the negative reaction when Kai was announced as Gucci's ambassador? It was ridiculous.

At the end of the day, These dumbasses can keep hating on them and downplaying them, EXO and SVT will continue to accomplish wonders.

Funny thing is, Both of these groups just released the best albums of 2021...

Makes you wonder...

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• Maybe here, and I agree about Seventeen fans being overall quiet

But exo ls on twitter brag a lot, just check any tweet regarding SM achievements or mentioning NCT lol the toxic exo ls are loud and very hateful

Toxic-Ls are a disease. Thankfully, They are not as much as 2016-17, and they are decreasing day by day.

I love Pikachu.

"Pika-Pi"

• Official Post

Monsta X can't even be included as one of the most downplayed groups. 2x

Kings of being overlooked.

2x

• im gonna be honest here, and say what I have wanted for a long time. Especially about EXO.

Ever since BTS came a long and broke virtually all of EXO's records, people have completely forgotten EXO's importance for kpop. Just because BTS broke all of their records, doesnt mean that EXO previously had no impact or recognition within the industry/gp.

Its it annoying af, seeing people, especially Army and non-Army haters, diminish EXO's impact, because another group came along and performed better commercially, in every metric compared to EXO.

Im not bothered about the fact that BTS broke their records, but about the fact that kpop fans pertend that EXO were never big, just because the records were broken.

I swear, I saw someone on these forums say that EXO's popularity was Nuests level. And multiple users on THIS forum have also said that EXO were never big, and had no impact whatsoever.

Edit: Also EXO are apparently 2nd choice and a replacment for everything ranging from olympics to brand. People are willing to go to this lengths to shit on them.

• Bruh...Some people in this forum are DELUSIONAL, like they keep making up shit as they go.

I love Pikachu.

"Pika-Pi"

• the way under every single achievement thread, there'll be a 'but (inserts group name) did better' n tbh from what i see from svt, carats are pretty quiet here but most of the time svt are brought up here is either to get dragged or to set them up to get dragged. also, the amount of incorrect stats here is annoying(ppl srsly just make stats out of nowhere, with no evidence or accuracy, just to fit their narratives) but it's kinda meaningless to fight

• Its it annoying af, seeing people, especially Army and non-Army haters, diminish EXO's impact, because another group came along and performed better commercially, in every metric compared to EXO.

Idk why there is any need to single out ARMYs here. You could have mentioned all these things without mentioning any fandom here like you did in your other reply. Trying to come off as brave or what?

• meh it doesnt erase both's achievements.. they are earning loads more than these haters and living a life minding their own business

as for exo, they dont give a fuck at this point.. they date, one got married,they are serving the country, making careers in additional interests like musicals,acting,fashion along with continuously delivering solo music and group activities if possible...

we exol have actually seen our boys not only enjoy the peak of kpop for 4 years and grow career-wise but we have also seen them grow personally..

they are living and enjoying their life

Not many other fans get to see such growth and variety actually.. its unique in exo's case..

and even after all the lame scandals and dating and members enlisting they are still breaking records..

Most Exols dont really have reason to go and brag on others faces..

• EXO fans are not all the time making threads about their achievements and most things they do are usually posted in the threads dedicated to the group. Even when EXO was the biggest kpop boy group out there, kpop fans would wonder if they were losing popularity because the fandom wasn't making noise all the time.

As to Seventeen, I think it's maybe for the same reason?

• I think one reason for this is because at least internationally, Exo and Seventeen both have generally older fans (20+). This usually results in less noise on twitter/akp/etc. and makes them "irrelevant" to younger fans who are probably the ones saying this. Their "hype" years where there was more noise are also before any of these kids were probably into kpop so they don't understand just how big especially Exo was

IM NAYEON 2022.06.24

Edited once, last by th17e ().

• I think one reason for this is because at least internationally, Exo and Seventeen both have generally older fans (20+). This usually results in less noise on twitter/akp/etc. and makes them "irrelevant" to younger fans who are probably the ones saying this. Their "hype" years where there was more noise are also before any of these kids were probably into kpop so they don't understand just how big especially Exo was

I was going to say this (or similar) about EXO fans. A lot if them have grown up *with* the group and have lived through a lot of the group going on military service already. Those sorts of fans may still love EXO’s music and support them, but are busy living their own lives outside of total fandom focus and aren’t interested in getting into arguments with people on the internet. What’s the point?! They’ve seen the achievements and the talent for years so have enough calm confidence and knowledge about it not to worry about people who might feel the need to try to downplay those achievements.

• Interesting thread. "most downplayed boy group" .. especially since there was a time when one of those fandoms were quite in everyone's faces. other fandoms warned them about how a boygroup's life cycle happened but I guess it's hard to think about that when your faves are seemingly thriving. And eventually, like their predecessors , they started blaming the company (which I guess is valid)

Goodluck to both fandoms then! Support your faves as much as you can. In this industry, you are the most important to them.

• I love this comment so much :pepeflushed:

• as a stan with seventeen as ult group i can confirm that yes, carats are so definitely one of the quietest fandoms you'll find, if you can find us xd /j

with exo and svt both being in an alike level of fame, both had million selling albums this year, they're somewhat overshadowed because of nct's skyrocketing success this year, and the louder fandoms such as blink and army

i also agree with what a few other people are saying on that exo-l's have a higher average age and therefore might not be as active on platforms such as twitter or these forums

• Exo are past their peak. So is the fandom.

Typically when the group is at their peak, that's when the fandom is the loudest. Nowadays, they have grown up and exo is overshadowed by BTS. This is the cycle of a BG fandom. Shawols, beauties, VIPs, elfs, Cassies and now exols all went through this. In 4-5 armys will probably join but then again BTS is still growing which is really shocking.

But i can assure you, back during exo's heydey, exols were definitely not quiet. Literally, every exols Twitter name contained the word "Million sellers" and they really bragged about it.

• Those who thinks Exo was not huge, are probably just joined kpop after 2018-2019 onwards when Exo got overshadowed by BTS. Exo were huge, their faces were everywhere in SEA. Huge promotions and hype. In 2018, if there were voting polls on Twitter, Exo and ARMY will battle it out and the outcome will be with tiny margin. It was so stressful to vote at that time. I think at that time, ExoLs and ARMYs are of similar number on twitter.

Nice and quiet fandom:

Carat - agree. This fandom has been like this from day one until today. One carat should probably make threads about seventeen from time to time so we could keep up with what’s happening with seventeen

ExoL - disagree. This is the fandom who trended various hate tags and coined no daesang no opinion (if that’s not bragging, I don’t know what is). Now they have mellowed down and usually only one dedicated ExoL on akp will make hype/brag threads on the most littlest thing (that’s dedication)

• Good post.

I love Pikachu.

"Pika-Pi"

• Interesting thread. "most downplayed boy group" .. especially since there was a time when one of those fandoms were quite in everyone's faces. other fandoms warned them about how a boygroup's life cycle happened but I guess it's hard to think about that when your faves are seemingly thriving. And eventually, like their predecessors , they started blaming the company (which I guess is valid)

Goodluck to both fandoms then! Support your faves as much as you can. In this industry, you are the most important to them.

"Seemingly"?????

The meaning :-

If something is seemingly the case, you mean that it appears to be the case, even though it may not really be so.

You're indirectly saying that EXO was not thriving. If you don't know the meaning of the words, I suggest you not to use it.

Also,
    THIS PART makes no sense and is completely irrelevant to the topic.

I love Pikachu.

"Pika-Pi"

• Those who thinks Exo was not huge, are probably just joined kpop after 2018-2019 onwards when Exo got overshadowed by BTS. Exo were huge, their faces were everywhere in SEA. Huge promotions and hype. In 2018, if there were voting polls on Twitter, Exo and ARMY will battle it out and the outcome will be with tiny margin. It was so stressful to vote at that time. I think at that time, ExoLs and ARMYs are of similar number on twitter.

Nice and quiet fandom:

Carat - agree. This fandom has been like this from day one until today. One carat should probably make threads about seventeen from time to time so we could keep up with what’s happening with seventeen

ExoL - disagree. This is the fandom who trended various hate tags and coined no daesang no opinion (if that’s not bragging, I don’t know what is). Now they have mellowed down and usually only one dedicated ExoL on akp will make hype/brag threads on the most littlest thing (that’s dedication)

Which year was this?

I love Pikachu.

"Pika-Pi"

• Which year was this?

2015-2016

I wasn’t into kpop but was made aware of them because of their presence (at shopping malls), plus my niece told me about them (she was into kpop). However I didn’t know any Exo songs at that time.

Ok I’m adding these screenshots. I might feel that Exo was all over the place because of this. Exo had CFs with SPAO and Pepero.. brand and food that I love to buy back then lol

F6F6CA9D-6F75-4157-962E-35D2FC331051.jpg

B9FDA8AC-DADE-49F9-BC8A-DEFE34148E04.jpg

*Malaysia also sold these peperos but not too much choice (I remember because my niece wanted to collect them all)

• For EXO it started happening more towards the latter half of their career with them enlisting and Kpop moving on and other groups taking over. There is no one who could downplay EXO for very many years because that’s how big fandoms operate. They will rebuke and fight for recognition.

Which is slightly different from seventeen’s case. For seventeen it’s mostly because they seem to not have much presence in the international platforms. Unless you’re loud you’ll get downplayed. So basically you see groups get downplayed not because they have haters in particular but more so when you don’t have a loud enough fandom to overcome that.

• Great

I love Pikachu.

"Pika-Pi"

• I don't think this is necessarily true.

In EXO's case, I think fans are very loud about their success and legacy. People who try to undermine them either got into kpop after EXO slowed down so they're simply ignorant to their past status , or are antis and members of other fandoms who think acting stupidly about FACTS is adequate retaliation for things EXO-Ls did to their faves in the past. Either way, when some says something stupid and untrue about EXO's legacy, fans will definitely rebuke and shut the lies down.

As for Seventeen, instead of being particularly targeted and downplayed, I think they're simply ignored. And that's mostly because of the lack of fans engagement. I think out of the top 5 most popular groups, Seventeen's fandom has the least presence in international kpop platform, actually since the early days of the 2nd generation and until now I can't think of any group that was in Seventeen's level but still had as little presence as they do. Maybe most of their fans aren't necessarily English speakers or maybe they want to keep themselves. But anyway, I have never seen anyone go out of their way to downplay and undermine them intentionally. If fans are not going to talk about their achievements and make them known then chances are non fans won't be aware of them or be aware but still don't talk about it.

• I think it's because when it comes to antis, the number of SM antis are the largest group among K-pop fans, and this has been the case since 2nd gen era.

What EXO experiences is the same stuff that Super Junior experienced before, on international forums like this one too.

A great example of it is how Super Junior weren't even considered for analysing their vocals, and how many K-pop fans here even laughed about it and mocked them 'why would you ever want to consider them for vocal analysis, they're terrible singers'. Even when it was proven later on that Super Junior actually had the best vocalists.

The tradition of structurally, consistently and intensively downplaying their vocals and achievements that SM groups - girl groups, but also the boy groups - have suffered, is a long one, and one that has been maintained by other-company stans and other-group stans that hate them or feel threatened by them :wellr:

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• for the record, the person who said that had a Taeyang dp. the fucking audacity :clown:

• This thread contains 2 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!