Who are the truly international Korean boy groups?

• People are throwing around the word "international" and "global" a lot. Usually based on nothing.

So I wanted to check which boy groups actually are international/global. Especially I was interested in the geographical diversity of the fanbase. If a group is only popular in Asia, theyre not truly global. They would have to also have some presence on other continents.

I used Spotify charts data since 2017. Reasons: its relatively easy to access + it is less impacted by buying streams (ads), though playlisting still plays a role. But none of the Koran boy groups (except BTS) receives significant playlisting in big general playlists, only in the kpop or local ones.

In short, the answer is: only BTS. But we already knew that and only delusional people will argue. BTS has charted in every single one of the 68 countries/territories for which Spotify has charts (they havent charted in Cyprus, but despite Cyprus existing in the dropdown menu for charts, there has never been an actual chart published for it).

So, in further analysis BTS has been excluded, since they are an outlier and everyone agrees that they are in another galaxy.

Moving on to other boy groups.

I looked at how many different countries each group has charted in. At most it was 23 countries for TXT. Since a lot of these groups only chart in SEA and East Asian countries, theres a separate view for how many non-SEA/East Asian countries their have charted in:

pasted-from-clipboard.png

This shows the diversity of their listeners. Even if they have charted only for a day or few, its still means there is at least senough people who have given them a chance to get them on the chart.

Looking at which countries these groups have charted in, we see that theres some quite clearly seprated clusters of countries and groups:

• TXT, Stray Kids, Enhypen - groups who charts outside of traditional kpop markets and outside of Latin America (most "international" groups)
    • Monsta X, Super Junior - groups who chart in Latin America
    • Ateez to SJ D&E - groups who chart in few countries
    • EXO to NCT U - groups who chart well in SEA/East Asia

Countries have pretty clear clustering:

• the group of SEA countries
    • the group of Korea/Philippines/Japan/SA, which is also more similar to SEA
    • Latin America
    • European/North American countries which are not traditional kpop markets, which are dominated by 4th gen. UAE and Turkey also fall into this cluster. Russia has the biggest impact on total streams for most groups in this cluster, they're the only big market where 4th gen bgs are charting well and it looks like a growing trend.

Next I checked all boy group songs which have charted on Global 200 and where the streams are coming from. TXT has highest rank so far (#125 with CROWN) and SuperM highest streams (823k), followed by CROWN (815k):pasted-from-clipboard.png

And by shares:

Enhypen and Stray Kids are the only groups with significant share of streams from Europe (this is mostly Russia), while TXT is the only one with streams from North America (theyre to only group who has charted in US and Canada). Enhypen and Stray Kids have lowest share of SEA streams, while NCT dream has highest.

In conclusion:

• No group consistently charts in big markets globally
    • Majority/a lot of boy groups chart relatively well in traditional kpop markets (SEA, Korea, Japan) + Saudi Arabia
    • 4th gen boy groups are the ones who do chart outside of traditional markets, specifically Stray Kids, Enhypen and TXT. A lot of this charting is probbaly driven by crossover from army. This is expected, since kpop had no relevance in these markets pre-BTS, so other 3rd gen boy groups did not have any fanbase built here and SM/YG dominance that exists in traditional markets is missing. Thats why SM/YG boy groups are mostly limited to Asia.
    • Only TXT has charted in North America and noone has charted in bigger European markets (except Russia). However, charting in smaller European countries indicates 4th gen groups are probably closer to charting in bigger markets there (theres no reason to assume differences in which groups are preferred).
    • Super Junior and Monsta X chart in Latin America with songs directed at these markets (only 1 or few days at low positions, but still). Super Junior is the most international SM group.
    • Russia has really taken off as a big market for 4th gen boy groups outside of traditional markets
  • Detailed data about top 10 highest peaks by country for Korean boy groups:

• Noone has charted in Africa or Oceania
    • First number is song's rank based on peak rank on country's chart excluding BTS (only among other Korean boy group songs). The numbers in brackets shows the rank if we include BTS's songs (so for example for United Arab Emirates theres 33 BTS songs, which have charted higher than Drunk-Dazed, but Drunk-Dazed is the highest peaking non-BTS Korean boy group song)

Data:

• Data continues (word limit :sweatr: )

• Damn.... as stated obviously BTS is. But it is interesting to see where the other BGs chart.

Also this shows to me that atm that TXT, SKZ and Enhypen are definitely the leading 4th gen BGs, both with international streams & sales (all are likely selling over 500k-600k+ this year - TXT and Enhypen already set for the 500k and maybe even 600k+ and SKZ no doubt will surpass it too since their last album is close and stays have had ages between their last cb and next one).

• Very well compiled data. Interesting stuff there.

So I guess Asian fans are more likely to buy albums as you can see those who do better in Asia (streaming wise) are selling more albums while international fans (other than Asia) are more inclined towards streaming that's why lesser album sales for groups like Monsta X, TxT, etc compared to the other group.

Russia seems to be the streaming country like Latin America is nowadays. No wonder we see those huge numbers by Stray Kids on Spotify. They really are dominating that market rn.

TxT is probably the most stable group after BTS imo (physical sales as well digitally). They aren't dominating anywhere but they have presence everywhere.

• Damn.... as stated obviously BTS is. But it is interesting to see where the other BGs chart.

Also this shows to me that atm that TXT, SKZ and Enhypen are definitely the leading 4th gen BGs, both with international streams & sales (all are likely selling over 500k-600k+ this year - TXT and Enhypen already set for the 500k and maybe even 600k+ and SKZ no doubt will surpass it too since their last album is close and stays have had ages between their last cb and next one).

Yes, I agree. And streaming numbers show their fans actually listen to these groups. I think 4th gen will take over (except BTS of course who is a wall) before we know it. Their album sales are growing quickly.

Interesting times :froghype:

• I am surprised txt charted on US Spotify before Stray kids. Was not expecting that at all.

At this point I guess the first 4th gen bg to chart on bb hot 100 is between them, the one who will pull up the right song first

• Ummm BTS charted in South Africa though. And I think Egypt too so they definitely chart on African Spotify

• Ummm BTS charted in South Africa though. And I think Egypt too so they definitely chart on African Spotify

I meant none of the other boy groups have charted in Africa or Oceania.

BTS has charted in every single country where Spotify has ever had charts! Including Egypt, Morocco and South Africa!

• I am surprised txt charted on US Spotify before Stray kids. Was not expecting that at all.

At this point I guess the first 4th gen bg to chart on bb hot 100 is between them, the one who will pull up the right song first

TXTs US fandom is actually surprisingly underrated. They've managed to chart on the bb200 at #25 and also managed to chart a JPN album (only other act that's done this is BTS). So they definitely have a substantial US fandom that is buying and streaming their music.

I think Hot100 is still far away for boy groups (except BTS), unless one of the ones with more western appeal gets proper western push. TXT and Enhypen dont even get Friday releases, so its pretty much impossible now.

• myaza, have you done one for BTS?

BTS charts in every single country Spotify has charts for. Theres no point in analyzing them like that :cryingr:

And if I include BTS in boy groups analysis, then first 40-60 top spots for songs are taken up by BTS songs for most countries :cryingr:

This is what happens when I add Dynamite 1st day:

BTS does have a very different distribution of streams. First of all, since they chart everywhere, theres almost no streams with "unknown" origin. And their streams are much more equally distributed over regions:pasted-from-clipboard.png

• myaza no wonder you made a separate chart for bgs.

By the way, what does 'unknown' origin mean? VPN?

It means the filtered streams on Spotify Global 200, for which we dont know where they are from. Since most groups dont chart in majority of countries, we dont know how much streams they got there, just that its little. And even if someone (BTS ¬‿¬ ) charts everywhere, there are some countries that have Spotify, but dont have charts, so these streams are only included in global numbers.

unknown= Global chart streams - streams from every country chart they chart in.

• And, wow! BTS has more listeners from NA vs. SEA.

Coz normally, SEA has the highest consumption of kpop.

Also, have you done kpop's biggest acts (regardless of gender) listener distribution per country?

BTS's streams are distributed very evenly around the world. In Dynamite's case this is 1st day, as time went on North Americas share decreased and Europe's share increased.

Ive done other acts, but Im not sharing them right now, since I dont have time for intense fighting and being called names. Maybe later :peperun:

• TXTs US fandom is actually surprisingly underrated. They've managed to chart on the bb200 at #25 and also managed to chart a JPN album (only other act that's done this is BTS). So they definitely have a substantial US fandom that is buying and streaming their music.

Yeah I definitely knew about their album charting but streaming is a whole different ball game. Wow I am still impressed

• Well there is no sure way to say it and also 'international' is often mistaken as just the 'West'.

Broadly these are the blocks,

1. West - Canada, US, W Europe, Aus and NZ
    2. China and Far East.
    3. SE Asia
    4. India and S.Asia
    5. Islamic sphere from Iran to Morrocco
    6. Africa
    7. Central/S.America
    8. Former Soviet sphere - E.Europe, Russia, Central Asia.

For any act to be called international, they should have decent public recognition and not just among Media/commentators, in at least 4 of the 8 blocks.

Rather an impossible feat.

Most popular kpop groups like EXO, would be known in #2 and #3. Not so much in the West-public

So the closest is indeed BTS - #1, #2, #3, general public appreciation.

Of course to those who follow, they are not unknown in other blocks, but that is only by a small percentage.

But I would say when it comes to Entertainment - Korea Kpop, is probably the most successful after the West, to have breached cultural barriers outside its own home ground.

And it has happened over time, to Japan, to China, to SE A, now to the West.

• mx being the only non big 4 group to chart on top5 billboard, had a special episode on we bare bears by cartoon network, did a private concert for the king of norway, made instagram's ceo go straight to inkigayo just to meet them, was mentioned in a best selling sapphic novel (honey girl), charted number 1 in billboard japan. Sure they only have latin market. Lol

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Can you update this thread with Butter and TXT's comeback?

By number of countries charted in:

And here you have the countries (pinker means its the group with most streams in the country):

And now there are more charting days on Global 200:pasted-from-clipboard.png

Interesting, how Anti-Romantic has such a high share of North America, even higher than the title track.

• upward trajectory of TXT continues with TCC: Freeze. Thanks for the update myaza. Seems to me the more they are underestimated, the higher they rise.

• TXT widening the gap yee yee

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• This thread contains one more post that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!