SMCU : Good or bad idea ?

• Wait is this what taeyeon fans were making memes about?

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I don't understand but she do be funny tho.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Desbundar

• Queen gives no fucks lmaooo she just wants to dance to the bop :froghype:

• Its a silly idea tbh but its fun. Fans can make a lot of memes out of this so I support!

External Content youtu.be

Plus. Watching stuff with great cinematography is gud

• i like it with aespa, love the short movie (series to be exact) i think it's really cool.

For the other groups i'm still neutral about it. So far all they've been doing is name-drop kwangya and it doesn't bother me, i wouldn't even realize it's there if i don't turn on the subtitle.

not really , aespa isn't the only one who got a little cinematic things related to SMCU

some people seems to forget the NCT ether video

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• its a fantastic idea. Look at all these people sgit on it now but soon their faves companies start to do it too and they will praise the idea from ground to heaven

• it's normal that she doesn't know about it

some people didn't see the whole SMCU conference and are jumping to conclusion

not every SM artist are involve in the SMCU,

during the press conference SM only mention NCT, aespa, SuperM, exo ( and i don't remember if suju and shinee were mention or not)

• I don’t like connecting all the stories in everything like I don’t vibe or agree with fans when they say Seulrene are the navies/black mamba etc.. stuff like that. I don’t think that what SM even implies. It’s just that they have all these imaginary stories in one universe and can overlap them if they want but they are separate and do not depend on each other.

I like the idea of Aespa’s storyline, EXO’s storyline and NCT’s storyline separately (these three have a lore and heavy showcase of cinematography+ SuperM).

In contrary to popular belief, older acts mentioning KWANGYA has other meaning than reference Aespa’s world. SM mentioned the future app that groups will meet their fans virtually hence a digital world which is KWANGYA. The artists themselves won’t bother with the technical details so some don’t even know what the heck is KWANGYA (wilderness in Korean language) but probably all will make appearance in the app eventually when it’s launched. The MV lyrics that mention Kwangya are all referencing their own fans that they will meet, not Aespa’s story.

lt64IYu.gif

• Perfect idea, now that its officially announced, we are getting (in theory) all SM fandoms united under one universe, as an SM stan, this the ultimate dream, were we are not just adding them together, but also creating a whole new galaxy of content (Cawman) and a lore, fantastic <3

A lot of people complain when SM announce the SMCU concept saying it was going to flop and not doing well

They said the same about aespa's AI concept, which ended up working super fine at the end

• Good idea for the new acts (read aespa). Bad idea for old acts that don't even have a lore.

Just don't force every act to sing about KWANGYA.

I totally agree, I personally don't want Red Velvet said kwangya, but their connection with SMCU is pretty clear. SM, Just leave a hint or reference. It seems a little funny to me now that EXO and Nct are say Kwangya in their Mv.

• Perfect idea, now that its officially announced, we are getting (in theory) all SM fandoms united under one universe, as an SM stan, this the ultimate dream, were we are not just adding them together, but also creating a whole new galaxy of content (Cawman) and a lore, fantastic <3

They said the same about aespa's AI concept, which ended up working super fine at the end

i think the biggest advantage it's this

it'll help their older group to stay relevant even after so many years when fans are looking for newer groups or more recent groups

because new kpop fans who will discover the newest GG like aespa, stayc, will be interest in aespa universe and the SMCU

which mean they'll naturally take an interest in SM older group which help them to get relevant even among newer fans

• It would be cool if it was just for aespa's concept but I don't like them forcing the whole thing on all their other groups. the kwangya references in some songs are starting to become cringe. are they going to mention that in every title track now? I lowkey hope SM ends up dropping this concept eventually (like they usually do) :S

i hope they don't

because as much i love GG like SNSD, red velvet etc...newer fans don't care about them because they are old and prefer to focus on GG who are newer

SMCU will give a longer lifetime to their old groups

if RV is still in SM after 9 years, their sales will not decrease , because new kpop fans getting into kpop will stan mostly nct and aespa and will try to understand their concept and the SMCU to understand how their universe connect, and they'll eventually have to look for older groups to understand it

and it'll help RV to stay relevant among Kpop fans even after 10 years in the industry and even among new kpop fans

• Official Post

It would be cool if it was just for aespa's concept but I don't like them forcing the whole thing on all their other groups. the kwangya references in some songs are starting to become cringe. are they going to mention that in every title track now? I lowkey hope SM ends up dropping this concept eventually (like they usually do) :S

Yeah I agree. Fans of the older groups who don't have a lore(like SNSD) will get irritated, there was never something like this before 2020-2021.

I think SM should've just kept it for aespa cause it gave them more individuality. I don't get the point of forcing it onto every other group.

I mean it's good for SM stans I guess but not for most people who are stanning SM groups individually. Like idgaf about KWANGYA or the FLAT, I just want to listen to music and watch their content.

• I don't think it is a bad idea.

1. If the music isn't really great and
    2. If the storylines aren't that interesting either

Then that's pretty much all they would have going for them..just glossy visual stuff. That's the last thing I would want for a group that has some kind of potential.

• Official Post

Honestly to me, it's fine. For those that are into it, it's fun. For those that aren't it's completely ignorable. Like I said in a previous thread if you translate Kwangya to wilderness then the songs that have used it still make sense. No one knew Mmmh was possibly connected when it came out, but knowing that or not doesn't change the fact that it's still an amazing song and a killer MV. I didn't know a lot about EXO's storyline until a couple of months ago, but that didn't mean I wasn't still bopping to their music or appreciating their MVs. The SMCU is much the same.

It's the same as the MCU and comics in general. You don't HAVE to watch all the Marvel movies to enjoy Thor, but it just adds to the references you pick up.

Personally I'm interested in Koongya. Sounds cuuuuuute. :cutes:

• THIS.

It's ignorable and if you actually watch Koreans (ie who don't turn on subtitles) they don't notice something off with the word KWANGYA because it fits. SM is only capitalizing it to advertize the word because it's a reference to their online universe where fans meet artists as they say. Aespa is the only one that uses it for the storyline since their story is about the interaction of the digital world (internet) and the real world so Aespa literally travels to the digital world KWANGYA in their story. If a fan of any other SM artist doesn't give a shit about smcu, they can easily ignore it.

lt64IYu.gif

• SMCU Episode 1 was great, i loved it and i am looking forward to more. But i am not so sure about the connect univers thing, i wish SM would keep this only for Aespa, it is beyond cringey to suddenly force a lore on groups that have been around for years just to enforce this connected univers

several SM older idols from different groups have explicitly expressed that they have no idea what Kwangya is lol

• This thread contains one more post that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!