Does anyone else miss when K-pop wasn't directly targeted for the west?

• Read BEFORE commenting.

This nostalgia was spurred during my morning shower today while listening to Blackpink. Playing With Fire brings back A LOT of memories for me. I miss the early days of BTS, Blackpink, Monsta X, and NCT. They're all groups that I was there to witness their debut. I miss their early days when it felt like they were coming back for their Korean audience and everything didn't feel like a ploy to get international attention. I commend the success of all these groups in the west, I never thought it could happen this way.

However, I got into K-pop because it wasn't directly catered to the western audience. It felt different, fun, refreshing. Now all these groups are basically on par with western singers and it doesn't even seem like K-pop anymore. They have their comeback stages on western tv shows and award shows, they go on American talk shows, etc. While I do still enjoy music by these groups, it feels different than it did during their early days. Does anyone else know what I mean or feel nostalgic about this? :peperain:

• I thought you were going to talk about earlier days. I became a kpop fan during the high of 3rd gen and it was a time when stanning kpop took a lot of courage because kpop was still finding their sound (or experimenting with Western pop) and although there were great songs a lot of them would be considered dated, failed attempts at copying Western pop. You would love it but you won't openly admitted to others you were listening to kpop. I missed those days the most, not because I could think of myself as edgy for listening to music most people won't, but because it was fun listening to the way kpop songs were built.

So yes, I miss the old days when Korea was still the main market of kpop.

• Back in the day Kpop fans always wanted Kpop to become more mainstream(me included). Only now I'm asking myself "for what reason?".

• This is my central issue with modern kpop.

I preferred kpop when the zietgeist was indisputably centered on Korea and Greater Asia.

In my opinion 2nd generation was the perfect storm.

Hallyu was international enough that it allowed international audiences outside Asia to participate.

But Asia was still in the driver's seat.

It gave it a charm and character all its own. A cultural identity that seemed clearly distinct and separate from the West.

Influenced by Western trend but operating in it's own silo of experience.

With the zeitgeist shifted and kpop's top groups looking outward, it lost much of this culture shock and identity charm, shed to align with the ubiquitousness of international sensibility.

• I mean I understand what you mean tbh but for 20 years K-Pop has had small appearances and attempts at jumping to the west. Jinusean had a with Snoop Dogg at one point (which was such a weird song tbh but that's a whole 'nother story) and another with Puff Daddy (he did their production for 5 english songs) which actually got a bit of US airplay. BoA was pushed to the US slowly starting from 2005 onward, Wonder Girls was thrown at the west by JYP (quite literally) and JYP originally was debuting Min from MissA as a solo rapper/R&B singer and made her take an mentorship from R.Kelly in 2006/2007 (of all people to have 15 year old girl mentor under JYP, really?).

So while I understand what you mean, they have always dedicate some of their time toward the west, I think now it is just more noticed because those efforts are very successful and fruitful, leading to lots of western CFs and appearances on TV

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Minnie-SEC-Sig.png

• I thought you were going to talk about earlier days. I became a kpop fan during the high of 3rd gen and it was a time when stanning kpop took a lot of courage because kpop was still finding their sound (or experimenting with Western pop) and although there were great songs a lot of them would be considered dated, failed attempts at copying Western pop. You would love it but you won't openly admitted to others you were listening to kpop. I missed those days the most, not because I could think of myself as edgy for listening to music most people won't, but because it was fun listening to the way kpop songs were built.

So yes, I miss the old days when Korea was still the main market of kpop.

I first became a K-pop fan in 2012, during 2nd gen. So while I do miss those days, I also miss the days when the current top groups weren't so invested in the west. I hate having English singles just for the west, then a Korean comeback, etc. I just wish they focused on Korea. Like while Blackpink always had a "western sound" they actually focused on Korea in the beginning. I was excited for their first album but felt disappointed when a majority of the songs were in English because it felt like it wasn't for Korea it was for their western audience. I just miss their early days, straight up.

• They are still targeting Korea, except this time they are targeting Korea with the West. The groups that target the west are already popular in Korea, if they don't expand then there is a no growth. If they just keep on doing Korea then it will be the same old thing with almost no growth. Which is why these groups are targeting other places. To get more challenges, for example BTS. BTS are already super famous in Korea and they are always on top of the charts in Korea. It would be kind of weird if they did not target another audience since the demand is there. Basically what they are doing is answering the demand.

• For those wondering about the Jinusean thing

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

Minnie-SEC-Sig.png

• THIS! I couldn't have said it better :pepelove1:

• I think Kpop has always been extremely western influenced. Korean music in general has been influenced by the west since the Japanese colonial period.

Kpop was started because the founder of SM got inspiration from MTV era in the United States when he was in America.

Not to mention most Korean genres are direct parallels of music that originates in the United States. R&B, Hip Hop, Rock, Pop etc. Even Trot is this weird fusion of western music introduced around the Korean war and music of the colonial period.

Even with art music (as opposed to pop music) it is heavily dominated by traditional western music such as Opera, Classical, and western style theater.

Even Pansori has fusion subgenres with western music genres.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• With Korea's demographic crisis impending (population shrinking as less and less people have kids), Kpop labels need to attract foreign fans. What BH, YGE, SM and now JYP are doing is necessary.

Eventually, by the time the 5th generation gets started, Kpop will be an international genre. We'll see our first superstar non Asian Kpop idol and our first queer idol as well. We'll also see Kpop hits being sung in Spanish/Japanese/Mandarin (assuming China doesnt start WWIII)/French.

• They are still targeting Korea, except this time they are targeting Korea with the West. The groups that target the west are already popular in Korea, if they don't expand then there is a no growth. If they just keep on doing Korea then it will be the same old thing with almost no growth. Which is why these groups are targeting other places. To get more challenges, for example BTS. BTS are already super famous in Korea and they are always on top of the charts in Korea. It would be kind of weird if they did not target another audience since the demand is there. Basically what they are doing is answering the demand.

I understand why they're doing it but I can't say I like it. That's really all this thread was. It was just a way of expressing the nostalgia that I've been feeling. I was so excited for BTS's comeback and then I found out it was an English single and I automatically wasn't as excited. And that's precisely because I initially got into K-pop to get away from the western music scene. So naturally, I wish they still focused on Korea as much as they did when they debuted. I'm happy for their success, I just miss their early days sometimes. That's all :pepelove1:

• Agreed on the variety part. I think it was much more fun when they used to go more into Korean varieties than Western shows to promote (now they go to the latter more). Western shows like Ellen and the guy who throws fruit on guests (he is a good guy but the show is meh) is just not fun for me.

lt64IYu.gif

• It may have been influenced but it wasn't CATERED to the west, and that's the way it's now becoming.

• I think all these companies are just trying to make their money in the West before the bubble bursts. It'll probably settle down back to normal in a few years/whenever BTS falls back down to earth.

And even though I'm not super big on the Dynamite/SuperM/English version stuff, it does make sense. People on here say all the time that Korea is over Kpop atm -- of course they're gonna try out other markets.

• Official Post

I find this thread a bit ironic since we are on an international forum. Most of us found them because of the Hallyu Wave spreading its reach to international audiences. Perhaps some just miss it being a well-kept "secret"? Or liking something very niche?

Also, it kinda reminds me of a similar phenomenon of people moving on from a group when they get "too big" so that they can stan the next "hidden talent" until I guess they too become too big.

• Agreed on the variety part. I think it was much more fun when they used to go more into Korean varieties than Western shows to promote (now they go to the latter more). Western shows like Ellen and the guy who throws fruit on guests (he is a good guy but the show is meh) is just not fun for me.

Tbh I never check out western show appearances anymore. I did like in 2017 when BTS was first on the rise in the US because I was like omg how cool but now it's just like oh okay they're on Ellen again or whatever show lol.

• I find this thread a bit ironic since we are on an international forum. Most of us found them because of the Hallyu Wave spreading its reach to international audiences. Perhaps some just miss it being a well-kept "secret"? Or liking something very niche?

Also, it kinda reminds me of a similar phenomenon of people moving on from a group when they get "too big" so that they can stan the next "hidden talent" until I guess they too become too big.

Ehh, usually these threads are just a subtle dig at whatever groups are most popular internationally.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

• I find this thread a bit ironic since we are on an international forum. Most of us found them because of the Hallyu Wave spreading its reach to international audiences. Perhaps some just miss it being a well-kept "secret"? Or liking something very niche?

Perhaps some do but I didn't make this thread because I miss it being a "secret" or niche. It's that I miss groups being targeted to their domestic audience. I miss having domestic comebacks. Not a domestic comeback, a single for the international audience, a domestic comeback, an album for the international audience. And do that over and over again with a Japanese release thrown in.

• It may have been influenced but it wasn't CATERED to the west, and that's the way it's now becoming.

I don't think it caters to the west. Most of the groups that cater to countries outside of Korea do so because they are not that successful in Korea.

The same way Japan existed as a way for failed groups in the second gen to make enough money to survive.

The popular groups like BTS (and for second gen groups that were popular in Korea and Japan) are obviously exceptions they do well in many different countries because they are globally popular they dont have to release Japanese or English songs but they do anyways because they can. These groups do it for reasons like the goals of the members, because they want to for their fans in these countries etc. Also, obviously for the extra money.

Where as a lot of groups that failed to get off the group in Korea have to focus on international fans to exist, I don't really think it is a bad thing. It keeps a lot of groups around that we would not have otherwise.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

• Kpop has always been trying to cater to the western audience, especially the bigger acts (BoA, SNSD, Wonder Girls, 2ne1, etc) I think people are just surprised that this blew up out of proportion, not to mention some of us weren't expecting to see Kpop groups being successful on a global scale. I think their success caught a lot of people off guard.

I remember back in 2013/2014 there were several people who thought/were predicting Kpop would die down by 2017 and here we are.

I still think Kpop is very different and fun compared to other pop genres, and I'm sorry that you feel otherwise. I hope you can stick around and find other groups you might like.

• Kpop has always been trying to cater to the western audience, especially the bigger acts (BoA, SNSD, Wonder Girls, 2ne1, etc) I think people are just surprised that this blew up out of proportion, not to mention some of us weren't expecting to see Kpop groups being successful on a global scale. I think their success caught a lot of people off guard.

I remember back in 2013/2014 there were several people who thought/were predicting Kpop would die down by 2017 and here we are.

I still think Kpop is very different and fun compared to other pop genres, and I'm sorry that you feel otherwise. I hope you can stick around and find other groups you might like.

Tbh I stan aespa :pepe-cowboy: I listen to a lot of different groups though and I have a lot of memories with their music. So when I listened to Blackpink this morning I suddenly felt so emotional because I miss the old days lmao

• While I still fully 100% enjoy K-Pop I completely agree that 2nd gen was the perfect storm.

When I first discovered K-Pop in 2007 it was the start of 2nd gen.

Then as 2nd gen grew it had the music styles that we didn't hear in the American music industry at the time. The songs were all hook songs with easy to follow choreo that made things so catchy and nostalgic.

It reminded me of late 90s/Y2K days of Bye Bye Bye, Oops I did it Again, etc.

2nd gen really was that perfect storm of where it still had a distinct difference in music structure but still was open enough and appealed to outside the Korean market.

I still think K-Pop now is amazing and I don't think most releases are trying to gain Western success as much as people think they are. I just think that because K-Pop labels are outsourcing to foreign producers more, we have more have the same music structure as the West.

Compared to in the past, you had Korean producers with very distinct music structures like Shinsadong Tiger, Brave Brothers, Duble Sidekick, Teddy, JYP, etc.

~ ω

• Official Post

Perhaps some do but I didn't make this thread because I miss it being a "secret" or niche. It's that I miss groups being targeted to their domestic audience. I miss having domestic comebacks. Not a domestic comeback, a single for the international audience, a domestic comeback, an album for the international audience. And do that over and over again with a Japanese release thrown in.

Ok, but let's take BTS. It's not like they left those audiences behind. They released an album of almost all Korean songs in November - BE and released Life Goes On - a Korean single. They also have huge Korean CFs like Samsung, Hyundai and Coway. The OP sounded a bit like these groups had left their Korean fans and Korean market in the dust for the West or other international markets - not so.

• Tbh I stan aespa :pepe-cowboy: I listen to a lot of different groups though and I have a lot of memories with their music. So when I listened to Blackpink this morning I suddenly felt so emotional because I miss the old days lmao

I think I'm one of the few people who prefer 3rd gen/4th gen music over 2nd gen music.

Sometimes I listen to a few songs I used to love back in the days (I've known about Kpop since 2009) and I cringe to the core of my soul. :pepewash:

• I first became a K-pop fan in 2012, during 2nd gen. So while I do miss those days, I also miss the days when the current top groups weren't so invested in the west. I hate having English singles just for the west, then a Korean comeback, etc. I just wish they focused on Korea. Like while Blackpink always had a "western sound" they actually focused on Korea in the beginning. I was excited for their first album but felt disappointed when a majority of the songs were in English because it felt like it wasn't for Korea it was for their western audience. I just miss their early days, straight up.

Yes, I agree with you. I consider The Album mediocre by kpop standards but good by Western music standards.

• I personally feel that it's catered to the west when BTS seems to focus on international promotions a lot more than Korean and when Blackpink releases more English songs on their first album than Korean. Or when they're having comeback stages on American tv programs or award shows. I respect your opinion though :pepelove1:

• gotta say, something about this whole idea that "kpop needs to stay in korea and be for korean audiences only" is VERY strange to me. none of the groups you mentioned are ONLY targeting the west. and i think we need to stop saying releasing something in english is only "for the west". its a fact that english is the most understood languages across the globe. english music is targeting the global market, not just "the west". and doing promos in the u.s is not "targeting" or "catering" towards "the west". its an attempt to break into the amerian market which many international artists would love to do. you can have you're own opinion on whether thats the "right" sure but its weird to act like kpop arists can't want more for themselves. bigger markets mean more money. and china has pretty much already shut kpop out so all they have is jpn. and jpn and the u.s can be equal amounts as hard to break into.

who's your favorite artist?

• BP never ploy shit. The chart for the very first time in bubling with aiiyl, a pink summer song whose title was sang in Korean and they just release lsg that chart like 20 weeks in melon top10

They went smoothly to those charts bc fans there wanted them there, it's not the same as groups who buy views and make tons on interview to not chart at all

• Ok, but let's take BTS. It's not like they left those audiences behind. They released an album of almost all Korean songs in November - BE and released Life Goes On - a Korean single. They also have huge Korean CFs like Samsung, Hyundai and Coway. The OP sounded a bit like these groups had left their Korean fans and Korean market in the dust for the West or other international markets - not so.

I am the OP. I'm the one who made the last statement to you as well. I never said they left their Korean fans in the dust. I'm simply saying I miss their early days when they focused primarily on domestic promotions. That was my only intention with the thread. To express the nostalgia I was feeling this morning. On any other day, I don't really care but today I was feel nostalgic.

• Official Post

I am the OP. I'm the one who made the last statement to you as well. I never said they left their Korean fans in the dust. I'm simply saying I miss their early days when they focused primarily on domestic promotions. That was my only intention with the thread. To express the nostalgia I was feeling this morning. On any other day, I don't really care but today I was feel nostalgic.

I meant OP as in original post, sorry, should have spelled that out. I try to keep discussions and debates focused on content :D

• Official Post

Dammit, hit send before I finished my thoughts. Anyway, you are totally entitled to your nostalgia 05riaha . Kpop, like many other things, has changed and rapidly so in the last few years. As an Asian-American identifying person though, I feel I have been waiting forever and a day for more Asian representation in sectors like entertainment. You feel nostalgic at this turn, I feel hyped and impatient!

• Tbh, I'm not a big fan of most of the mainstream pop music that has come out in the US the past few years, most of it left me lukewarm.

Also a lot of the current American pop styles and trends are just not my taste, I often find it too cheap (even in production value), too exaggerated or too uncreative.

So I'm not that much for K-pop imitating the current American pop and hiphop scene too much.

What fascinated and drew me towards K-pop was that it was pop music, but a totally different scene from the American pop scene, and very much its own thing. There's a lot of things that K-pop even does better than American pop music, so hopefully those won't get lost in the hunt for international success.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Honestly, If my favs had only focused on domestic promotions I probably wouldn't know who they are. Also because of oversaturation of the market, had my favs only focused on domestic promotions they would have probably disbanded by now. So I have to disagree.

Tell'em Bangtan is dancing on the floorImage result for bts dancing gif fire

• This thread contains 5 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!