Well I was about to make a praise thread for Lisa, but Western media has me questioning my performance evaluation skills

• Do you think Lisa's VMA performance was good? 53

1. No (29) 55%
    2. Yes (24) 45%

I personally enjoyed Lisa's VMA stage, but I'm also a huge K-Pop fan and enjoy seeing artists from my favorite music genre today getting a huge platform, so I'm fairly biased.

But regardless, I must be in the minority, because Lisa is getting ROASTED.

All the 2024 VMAs Performances Ranked From Worst to Best
    VMAs Performances Ranked: 2024’s Best and worst musical performances.
    www.billboard.com

So let's poll it :pepe-notes:

The performance for those who haven't seen it

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I said in the other thread. It's a 6/10 for me. She lacks experience as a solo artist and she'll get it with more performances, but she needs to improve her vocals to sing live. She lacks confidence.

I have faith in her and I hope to see my girl doing a 10/10!!

Edit: yeah, I obviously enjoyed her performance!

• Same, I was surprised by some of the reviews too. "K-flop"?? lol pls ;(

Other than the obviously way too loud back-track, I thought she did good. The choreography wasn't my favorite, but she has such great stage-presence she sells you on it most of the time anyways.

She'll definitely improve as she gets more experience performing solo, I know she can do better.

38bf99de07f69029b8d303b7838cf4d934ce700c.gifv              a824a0703f0c41f2b675f07de8c8bd39873a05e3.gifv              883024cf4ebc88c6ad23227ca5cf52b7bcfe6620.gifv

• This is a very boring performance? I don't really watch these, so maybe this is normal? But it seems very low energy from a seemingly short set (less the five minutes). What's the point of the loud backtrack if you're still mostly going to walk around. I would've been super disappointed if I paid to go and got that, but I assume those tickets weren't free.

• She is only getting roasted by a few attention seekers. Not even worth a thread.

Well yes. Billboard and the New York Post aren't in the business of getting as few eyeballs as possible on their content...

I'll decide what is or isn't worth a thread, but if you feel that way, the exit is that way ---->

Same, I was surprised by some of the reviews too. "K-flop"?? lol pls ;(

Other than the obviously way too loud back-track, I thought she did good. The choreography wasn't my favorite, but she has such great stage-presence she sells you on it most of the time anyways.

She'll definitely improve as she gets more experience performing solo, I know she can do better.

Those reviews did not hold back, and the headlines were borderline disrespectful.

Was not expecting that kind of backlash from the stage after I first watched it.

I mean, Lisa's performance is still the most watched VMA stage so there is that.

• I confess I didn't watch the other performances apart from Lisa and LE SSERAFIM. I'm similar to you, I always watch K-pop's western big performances (awards/festivals) cause I love to see the genre/industry reaching bigger height and I root for the groups.

But I seeing some names I have a hard time believing Lisa was objectively the worst of the night.

ANYWAY

I like the performance! It's not her best (my favorite is probably her Money's performance when BLACKPINK was headlining Coachella on Day 1), but I enjoyed, thought It was really engaging and her charisma sold it for me.

• After seeing in concert and watching her performance here

This performance was such a big disappointment

I don't know if it was the stress of being solo on such a big stage but everything was pretty lackluster

The vocal (some ppl say she sing other say she lipsync) but tbh it looks more like lipsync to me she was pretty much not opening her mouth during the entire song

The didn't put a lot of energy in the dancing either

I was expecting her to go full energy like in BP performance on big stage like this but no

She was pretty much not dancing, the dancers around her did pretty much the biggest part of the performance

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

• It was an enjoyable performance but I do understand the critiques. She can and has done better and I found it wasn't as energetic as expected. She was however FAR from the worst. I'd put her in the middle as there were some performances I genuinely couldn't bother with.

• I also agree with others saying she wasn't the worst of the night.

It wasn't her best but it wasn't the worst either.

I think that's fair.

K-Flop is so savage, but that's New York media for you. They spare no one.

Lisa and her fans better prepare for that if she continues to make advancements in the West

• Those reviews did not hold back, and the headlines were borderline disrespectful.

Was not expecting that kind of backlash from the stage after I first watched it.

I mean, Lisa's performance is still the most watched VMA stage so there is that.

I thought some of it sounded disrespectful too, a bit unnecessary.

Even though it was far from Lisa's own best (I've seen her do better), like others have said I still find it hard to believe she was the worst performance of the night. She did fine.

38bf99de07f69029b8d303b7838cf4d934ce700c.gifv              a824a0703f0c41f2b675f07de8c8bd39873a05e3.gifv              883024cf4ebc88c6ad23227ca5cf52b7bcfe6620.gifv

• Dang, I did not have to scroll much on the article to find Lisa.

• She is only getting roasted by a few attention seekers. Not even worth a thread.

I wouldn't call Billboard and the New York Post attention seeker, especially because BLINKS always quoted them when they praised BP. And it's not like they only criticized Lisa, they did the same with other performers as well.

I personally enjoyed Lisa's VMA stage, but I'm also a huge K-Pop fan and enjoy seeing artists from my favorite music genre today getting a huge platform, so I'm fairly biased.

But regardless, I must be in the minority, because Lisa is getting ROASTED.

I'm a Kpop fan since 2003-2005, but I'm never biased, not even with my faves.

Lisa is basically the ONLY BP member who can perform on stage, but since she left YG, she's not even half as good as she was in her group. Honestly, this happens when you "leave" a group that wasn't focused on live performance and didn't have the best stage presence, and solely relied on their fans, and their fame.

For the record: This happened with many Idols, not just with her. Sadly, the problem isn't just her lackluster performance, the whole VMA was boring as hell, it's her songs as well. Maybe she will do other things later, but so far, almost all of her songs are the same. She doesn't look like someone who's trying to do different things, and because she's mainly a dancer, not a singer, she doesn't really have a choice till she takes some vocal lessons.

I said this when she released Rockstar and New Woman. It's either her, or her choreographer is not good enough, because her choreos were too simple, and I only accept that if the artist is either a great singer or rapper, but she's neither.

People talking about the lip sync, but that's not the issue here, everyone (except BLINKS) knows she can't sing, but as a so called "rapper" she should rap live, not to mention dance as one of the best female dancer in Kpop.

BTW, I don't agree with New York Post calling her "K-Flop", not even with her ranking as the worst. She was like #10 or #12, but not #16.

THIS, doesn't mean anything. Views don't make a performance better.

• I think the choreo was not that impresive, not like Lisa in BP choreos atleast. Besides, looks like in some parts she didnt know what to do and she just smile, that cut the fluidity of the performance.

Also, i must point this out. What is the point of indicate the mic was on, if at most she just sing some fractions of the song? If the mic was on, why she didnt she sing the whole song, or atleast the most of it? :whatb:

• It wasn't the worst but yeah she could do better. I was expecting her going hard on dance performance (esp with rockstar original choreo) part but she didn't? I have seen people write she went soft because of singing but the backtrack was so loud I couldn't really tell

• Wait. LSF was in the VMAS too right? Why they are not in the list?

• I watched the whole show and agree, she wasn’t the worst of the night but she didn’t go hard like we knew she could. She did a lot of moving from stage to stage without doing much and even the finale was meh to me. Like another user said, there were too many pauses in the performance where she did nothing but smile awkwardly IMO that did ruin the fluidity of the whole thing. She wasn’t the only one with the backtrack but she needs to learn how they perform on stage in the west because as early as the start of the performance, I could swear her lips were not even in sync with the backtrack. I can get she might have been nervous but she can use this as a learning lesson and I am saying this as I was there rooting for her through my screen that night. 😊

I also wish she would promote her music more. She’s feeding her fans well since launching her solo career, more than antis expected, but she releases stuff to only promote on TikTok and YT and I guess hoping the fans will do the rest? It may have worked for BP who didn’t really do music shows but across the ocean, it works a little different, especially if you’re trying to enter the scene. “New Woman” deserved better. 😭

• I watched the whole show and agree, she wasn’t the worst of the night but she didn’t go hard like we knew she could. She did a lot of moving from stage to stage without doing much and even the finale was meh to me. Like another user said, there were too many pauses in the performance where she did nothing but smile awkwardly IMO that did ruin the fluidity of the whole thing. She wasn’t the only one with the backtrack but she needs to learn how they perform on stage in the west because as early as the start of the performance, I could swear her lips were not even in sync with the backtrack. I can get she might have been nervous but she can use this as a learning lesson and I am saying this as I was there rooting for her through my screen that night. 😊

I also wish she would promote her music more. She’s feeding her fans well since launching her solo career, more than antis expected, but she releases stuff to only promote on TikTok and YT and I guess hoping the fans will do the rest? It may have worked for BP who didn’t really do music shows but across the ocean, it works a little different, especially if you’re trying to enter the scene. “New Woman” deserved better. 😭

well it's RCA...they are notorious for poorly promoting their artists, especially ones that don't yield the results they seek in key markets.

• Wait. LSF was in the VMAS too right? Why they are not in the list?

They did not perform on the main stage

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Why give importance to the opinion of Western media who don't give a damn about kpop and barely know a few big groups and therefore have no idea what they're talking about ? :ihazacape:

in that case why go to the VMAs. She should perform in Thailand where the majority of her fans are and help her country’s entertainment industry. But she’s chasing after the money so she has to be there and get hype for her career so one day she can be lucky with an American movie role

• in that case why go to the VMAs. She should perform in Thailand where the majority of her fans are and help her country’s entertainment industry. But she’s chasing after the money so she has to be there and get hype for her career so one day she can be lucky with an American movie role

Read my post again. If you still don't understand it i cant do nothing more for you.

If you really love something, you have to know how to let go.

tumblr_oln7qtTHZo1vkpbuyo2_540.gifv

• i love lisa a lot but i’m gonna be completely honest, in comparison to some of the other performances of the night, she just didn’t measure up.

the noticeable lipsyncing, loud backtrack and lack of energy may be normal by kpop standards but the vma’s is not the place for this, especially when you have belters like sabrina carpenter and chappell roan in attendance.

it was a good performance overall, her charisma as always was great, but the stakes are high for some of these western award shows.

• This thread contains 37 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!