Why do Onces always brag about Twice's consecutive #1 song streak?

• But they be the first people looking to discredit other girl groups and find ways to undermine their historic achievements.

You did it with BLACKPINK and Red Velvet, and now you're doing it with NewJeans.

How's this for a caveat, since you like doing it to other groups so much?

I think that streak is a solid achievement but nowhere near the pinnacle accomplishment I see Onces everywhere trying to prop it up to be.

Honestly, ANY top third generation group would've done that if they released enough songs during enough empty houses.

Sistar did it 8 or 9 times themselves. Are they the biggest girl group of second gen?

Instead, I ask you this: How many years did Twice have the biggest girl group hit of the year?

Once. Ironic I know.

But they did it once. In 2016. Cheer Up and TT respectively, although Rough had the most downloads by year end (CU and TT ultimately had better peak and longevity numbers).

2017? Red Flavor or As If It's Your Last. Take your pick.

2018? D4 or Bboom Bboom, followed by Starry Night in third

2019? Psycho or HIP were bigger songs. Kill this Love as well, especially once you factor international performance.

2020 and beyond?

:meme-wait-what:  :meme-trying-not-to-laugh:

If your criteria for being the top girl group means always having the biggest hit song every year, Twice was top once.

Hell, even SNSD couldn't pull that off, and peak SNSD was a more popular group in Korea than Twice.

I'm just asking everyone to stay consistent and keep that same energy for all groups and apply those same rigid standards to everyone.

Because, I'm sorry, but Signal got a #1, and we're not about to pretend that was one of the biggest hit songs of 2017 just because it touched #1.

I'll even use a biased source to prove my point

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

DTNA ended up having more legs than Bboom Bboom, but anyone who was a fan back then knows BB was at WORST the third biggest K-Pop song that year, alongside D4 and Love Scenario.

Where are the 2017 songs? Or 2019? Or 2020?

Yeah. Exactly. Onces might be able to fool newer fans about what third generation was like, but fans who lived through that era know that, outside of album sales, everything else was hotly contested.

Essay over.

• @ the users

because this ain't me or the majority of us/Once

rhobh-suttonstracke.gif

I would get banned if I did that, and I'm not going to do them that favor.

They know who they are. And it's not even just here.

I see it on reddit too. Any time the legacy discussion comes up for girl groups, they always drop that line about 9 consecutive #1s and conspicuously leave out any other context.

Then you look at the numbers and see that only three or four of those songs were really big hits and only two were HUGE hits. And only ONE was the biggest hit of the year.

• You and rand should get a room :skull:

I like Twice. I just dislike certain fake fans. It's not just rand. He actually doesn't bother me at all. He just doesn't know when to quit while he's behind, which is literally all the time.

I have three to four other names in mind. They know who they are, and we have clashed enough times for it to be obvious.

One of them likes to leave hate comments about other girl groups on the main site.

• It's a nice record.

Like YouTube views.

Fans like to brag about their faves.

• I don't want to join the argument, but I've always found the #1s in the digital chart really messy. Back then we had downloads that boosted a lot the first week of the songs (we still see it nowadays with artists with big fandoms that are the only ones that keep downloading), so there were many songs that didn't top the streaming charts but were #1 in that digital chart. It was more about timing than about anything else tbh.

If instead of using this digital chart heavily affected by the first week downloads, and instead use Melon or the Circle streaming chart, Twice's streak stops at 4, since Likey never reached #1 in those. SNSD's streak in Melon (since in 2009 we didn't have Gaon) goes up to 7 or 8 songs for example if I'm not wrong, but no one mention those.

The achievements without context change a lot, there you have Yama, feel free to use this to argue around with onces :P

• Wow...Twice having 3 songs in that top 10 :thumbs-up: I didn't know

Since I like you, here is evidence of my honest thoughts on Twice

I am not a mindless hater. I'm just a truth teller. I will never argue something I don't actually believe.

• I like Twice. I just dislike certain fake fans. It's not just rand. He actually doesn't bother me at all. He just doesn't know when to quit while he's behind, which is literally all the time.

I have three to four other names in mind. They know who they are, and we have clashed enough times for it to be obvious.

One of them likes to leave hate comments about other girl groups on the main site.

How about a room with 3-4 then ;)?

We will drop thebadguy in there as your backup - battle royale unmoderated

:uwu-party-bee:

• I don't want to join the argument, but I've always found the #1s in the digital chart really messy. Back then we had downloads that boosted a lot the first week of the songs (we still see it nowadays with artists with big fandoms that are the only ones that keep downloading), so there were many songs that didn't top the streaming charts but were #1 in that digital chart. It was more about timing than about anything else tbh.

If instead of using this digital chart heavily affected by the first week downloads, and instead use Melon or the Circle streaming chart, Twice's streak stops at 4, since Likey never reached #1 in those. SNSD's streak in Melon (since in 2009 we didn't have Gaon) goes up to 7 or 8 songs for example if I'm not wrong, but no one mention those.

The achievements without context change a lot, there you have Yama, feel free to use this to argue around with onces :P

Exactly! You're more fluent and versed in the historical context of chart records than I am, and you perfectly elucidated the precise point I wanted to make, which is that #1 streaks are an inherently flawed, limited way to measure success, especially when compared to other songs.

Hype Boy is on pace to be the biggest girl group song of all time by the numbers, and it never hit #1. Obviously there is a lot of nuance lost in the conversation when the #1 is all you focus on.

Everytime I see Onces brag about that streak, I think:

"That's strange...I don't remember Twice ever having 9 songs that were THAT big, just 3 or 4 tops."

• Isn't Once hibernating fandom? I felt they don't care about what South Korea had to say anymore.

It's a great spirit that every fandom should follow.

:/

#Onlyspeakfacts

:boredr: :siptear:

• Since I like you, here is evidence of my honest thoughts on Twice

I am not a mindless hater. I'm just a truth teller. I will never argue something I don't actually believe.

Nice thread :holding-back-tears: I believe time has shown they truly love what they do and that does form a solid basis of my emotional attachment to them.

Usually I agree with your takes but you have been biased lately lol.

Streaming started to have more impact since maybe 2018-19 and again download was still the strongest metric so ofc it affected digital charts.

Now you talk about #1 songs mostly dropped by BG. So I don’t think people take #1 from SVT or NCT seriously

Twice from LOA to Yes or yes are certified platinum in download so they clearly have a strong longevity, there’s no point saying that they only few #1 in streaming when it wasn’t relevant last decade.

• Dude it is literally the same for NewJeans, Blackpink, SNSD and everyone else. Hype Boy is and will remain NJ's biggest song of their career and it is a debut song. Yes, their other songs did well but not on that level. And then few steps below there is Ditto. And that's all.

• L take, honestly. I am not even saying this as a Once. The moment you use imaginary scenario like "anyone could do" you lost. Then why didn't they? Do they not want money and success?

Stand down, Minion. I don't want beef with you. Don't you hate most of Twice's music now anyway? You shade them more than I do :meme-disappointed:

Man what did i do😭

Psst. I have to check the box that I tried to hold you accountable for any problematic behaviors. Just go with it. :meme-wink:

• Was going to ignore this one but I am obviously one of the 3-4 onces that you are referring to so let's see:

Highest ULs for GG songs: (top 3 only)

2016:

1. Cheer Up (6.6M)

2. PWF (6.1M)

3. TT (5.7M)

2017:

1. Red Flavor (6.4M)

2. AIIYL (6.4M)

3. Rollin' (5.3M)

If Rollin didn't go viral, it would be KK who replaces it not Yes, I Am.

2018:

1. D4 (6.4M)

2. DTNA (6M)

3. Bboom Bboom (5.5M)

Out of those 9 #1 hits, Twice have seven songs above 5M ULs, most for any GG and 2 above 6M. All these songs are certified platinum for streaming and downloads. It's ridiculous to pretend these songs weren't huge hits. And it's also clear for anyone who doesn't anti TWICE why we choose to write just #1 song instead of putting all the song stats in a comment but you can act obtuse all you want and continue pretending you don't hate Twice.

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Cheer Up, TT, What is Love and DTNA were definitely huge hits. The rest can be argues but these ones definitely are. Even YOY did very well in Korea despite not being my fav song.

And Feel Special, tho not a hit got pretty iconic in a way that many people cover it, it is definitely a song that will be remembered and performed by future generations of idols. Needless to say it flopped very bad on charts initially but through the years it got close to 100 million streams on Melon, which shows that people have been discovering and listening to it.

• Thank you. These are the numbers I wanted. And you literally made my point for me.

How many times did Twice have the top song of the year in their now almost ten years career?

ONCE. JUST ONCE.

Another girl group hit outperformed their release every either year, either in the year itself or eventually over time, like AIIYL and Red Flavor.

Your protest makes sense if I had made the argument the songs were all flops outside of CU, TT and KK, but it's undeniable those are EASILY the biggest songs of their career.

A lot of Onces try to deceive people with the 9 song streak.

A BLACKPINK B-Side was a bigger hit than all of those songs.

• Cheer Up, TT, What is Love and DTNA were definitely huge hits. The rest can be argues but these ones definitely are. Even YOY did very well in Korea despite not being my fav song.

And Feel Special, tho not a hit got pretty iconic in a way that many people cover it, it is definitely a song that will be remembered and performed by future generations of idols. Needless to say it flopped very bad on charts initially but through the years it got close to 100 million streams on Melon, which shows that people have been discovering and listening to it.

DTNA surprises me. The song simply was not that big in 2018. It wasn't top 3 for Digital Weekly Index peak and it finished behind 3 other girl group songs. When did this song get enough legs to close the gap on those bigger songs? Well I'll acknowledge its longevity, but Bboom Bboom, D4 and Starry Night were absolutely the biggest songs DURING 2018 and probably for a year or two after.

• Usually I agree with your takes but you have been biased lately lol.

Streaming started to have more impact since maybe 2018-19 and again download was still the strongest metric so ofc it affected digital charts.

Now you talk about #1 songs mostly dropped by BG. So I don’t think people take #1 from SVT or NCT seriously

Twice from LOA to Yes or yes are certified platinum in download so they clearly have a strong longevity, there’s no point saying that they only few #1 in streaming when it wasn’t relevant last decade.

Yeah I agree with you, actually I was the one defending downloads the most back then as the best way to measure success of the songs.

My point is that they were frontloaded though, in Likey's case for example, the week before it was released we had Love Story getting 310k downloads, then the 2nd week dropped to 110k. Likey got 210k so it charted higher than Love Story, but it had lower streamings. Actually these weren't even the #1 song in streams! It was Melomance's Gift, which was a riser that was getting downloads steadily instead of getting them all in the first week, so even while being clearly #1 in Melon and in streams it was pushed back in the digital chart.

That's what I meant regarding how timing was more important, and I don't want to underrate Twice's achievement. Actually if people were mentioning how they didn't get 9 consecutive #1s, but 10 consecutive hits (adding LOA) it would make more sense to me. My complain is about how the record (which is indeed a record) is used without context, to me it's like if people were saying Ditto is the biggest song ever in korea for being the longest #1, context is as important or more than the achievement.

Ofc it's not the same as SVT or NCT now since back then downloads were frontloaded but all the songs were getting a decent amount, and now it's just fandoms downloading so the difference they make is way bigger.

And to end just to point out that I think Signal doesn't have the plat cert, and I don't agree with streams not being relevant last decade. They were super important and Melon was always the most followed chart, it's just that downloads were also there so it made it a 50/50 or maybe 60/40 situation when you wanted to measure success, unlike now that is 99/1.

We can't agree always and I might be a bit biased sometimes though, I try not to be but it's impossible to avoid always.

• And how many times did MMM have the top performing song? ZERO.

Loud and wrong. KK isn't even a top 5 Twice song. DTNA, WIL, LOA and YOY are all bigger songs and numbers show that.

What you did here is similar to RV fans on Twitter lmao. Sneak in BP cuz your own favs can't compete with Twice. Forever Young isn't bigger than more than half of Twice #1s but it is certainly bigger than anything that BP released from 2019 onwards sans HYLT and LSG.

• DTNA surprises me. The song simply was not that big in 2018. It wasn't top 3 for Digital Weekly Index peak and it finished behind 3 other girl group songs. When did this song get enough legs to close the gap on those bigger songs? Well I'll acknowledge its longevity, but Bboom Bboom, D4 and Starry Night were absolutely the biggest songs DURING 2018 and probably for a year or two after.

DTNA was really big since the beginning, the problem is that it started having to face DDDD and Way back home that were even bigger. DTNA in other situation could have topped for weeks and it stayed in the top 10 the same amount of weeks as AIIYL and RF.

To the overall streams it also helped it became a "summer song" so it rose in 2019 and it rises to around the top 200 all the years like also RF and AIIYL, if it wasn't for that those 3 songs would probably be a step lower.

• And how many times did MMM have the top performing song? ZERO.

Loud and wrong. KK isn't even a top 5 Twice song. DTNA, WIL, LOA and YOY are all bigger songs and numbers show that.

What you did here is similar to RV fans on Twitter lmao. Sneak in BP cuz your own favs can't compete with Twice. Forever Young isn't bigger than more than half of Twice #1s but it is certainly bigger than anything that BP released from 2019 onwards sans HYLT and LSG.

:meme-u-ok:

Why do you always think shading Mamamoo is the appropriate response? I'm built different from you. It doesn't trigger me.

I'm just happy Mamamoo is on the list multiple times. Unlike Twice, nothing was handed to them on a silver platter. They had to fight and earn their way from the bottom to the upper echelon of girl groups. You think I care they were never the absolute top girl group? I was hungry for it during third generation, but after Cheer Up and especially after D4, I was content with what they had accomplished and how far they came.

LOA had longevity, but that song was getting shaded to shit when it first dropped. It was nowhere close to the explosive debut we saw from BP or NJ...and now ILLIT, I guess.

CU and TT are legitimate mega hits. No argument here. 2016 was the year of Twice or the year of Shy Shy Shy.

The End. That's it. That's the last time Twice had the top girl group song, and the numbers YOU linked proves that. Period.

• Hilarious how he's coming for Twice by saying FY is bigger than most of their hits as if he doesn't have Starry Night in top 3 for 2018 when that song has less ULs than both DTNA and FY :cryingr:

Starry Night only had to deal with BIG BANG and PEAK HEIZE. Other than that, it was totally an empty house. Be for real. Nobody who followed K-POP in 2018 doesn't think Starry Night was a massive hit in Korea. Yes, it's in my top 3. In 2018, it peaked higher on Circle and also finished with a higher cumulative score.

It doesn't have the longevity edge, but if you came to me in 2018 or early 2019 and said this, I'd laugh at you and most others would too.

I would know. I had this exact argument back then.

Either way, this is a tangent. DTNA absolutely wasn't even a top 2 song, let alone the top song. My point is made even if I say it's a bigger song than Starry Night.

• This thread contains 62 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!