Why did hybe not take jeon somi and put her in a girl group?

• Someone asked this on Reddit yesterday, but apparently, it already got deleted. In short, from what I remember, OP asked why Hybe didn't take Somi and debut her in their girl group since she's so popular, and her star power is wasted by just being a soloist. She would bring a lot of benefits to the group, something in that line. Surprisingly, many kpop fans didn't know that Hybe didn't exist before 2021. Some on TikTok even believe that BTS is successful because of the privileges from their big company.

Most importantly, did Somi ever want to be in a group post ioi anymore? She left JYP in August 2018, and Itzy debuted in February 2019. And she's just a year older than Ruka, right? She could have joined BM if she wanted. Now, she's in a very comfortable position. She's still very relevant with a lot of CF deals, while not having to work as hard as groups like Itzy, with tight schedules, tours and those crazy choreographies. Girl obviously loves her chill idol life.

• lmao maybe she doesn't want to I lost count of the times she said how happy she being in the black label she gets along with everyone there. I think she likes being a solo artist too. also why would she go to hybe? and I doubt hybe wants her either.

• Why would she want. She would actually need to work as an idol constantly and share the income. This way she makes tons of money just by being an influencer and occasionally when she feels like it, she can promote.

• None all idols can go to hybe ^^ somi aside, everyone always asks why idol X didn't go to hybe ^^

as for somi, she clearly wanted to go solo and she's doing well doing what she likes

However, there's one idol i wish she was in hybe because she's wasted in her group :(

icyruios I'm talking about xiaoting. I think she would fit le sserafim well ;( agree or disagree that she would fit well :/

• Let's be honest. Somi left JYPE in 2018? At that time, HYBE was not where they are now. HYBE did not even exist until 2021. They were still Big Hit, and BTS were the only artist they had since TXT hadn't even debuted yet. YG was also having one hell of a year with BP and D4, Winner, AKMU, Big Bang had just released one of the biggest songs of the year, and IKON's Love Scenario was still doing a victory lap as song of the year.

Even if Big Hit had made Somi an offer then, chances are she still would have chosen the Black Label because of Teddy and the association with YG.

Maybe if things with HYBE and YG had been what they are now in 2018, maybe Somi would have chosen a different route. But, you can't compare the KPOP climate and companies now to what they were in 2018. Things are so different than they were 5 years. And who knows, Somi might not even renew. Her contract end date is coming up, and she could mosey along to HYBE. But, yeah, I don't see why she would. She's doing great where she is.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Bighut (and friends) = hybe

How about u use your brain

Bighit didn't receive the massive cash investments from Netmarble and other companies till 2020, which allowed them to go on the buying spree and restructure into the Hybe they are today.

Technically Bighit Entertaminment changed into Hybe, so the history of being the 'same company' is technically true, but the entire corporate structure and capacity was entirely different in 2018.

Basically - the answer's not wrong. Bighit of 2018 was not the Hybe as we know it today.

• Bighit didn't receive the massive cash investments from Netmarble and other companies till 2020, which allowed them to go on the buying spree and restructure into the Hybe they are today.

Technically Bighit Entertaminment changed into Hybe, so the history of being the 'same company' is technically true, but the entire corporate structure and capacity was entirely different in 2018.

Basically - the answer's not wrong. Bighit of 2018 was not the Hybe as we know it today.

I know but the point of discussion is about hybe not taking in somi which bighit very well could have done

• And she barely got it in :pepefacepalm:

International fans saved the day! She deserved to be center but she's not Korean so :pepe-shrug:

Even though Chaehyun got No.1, I kinda think they lowkey made Xiaoting the center.

She took Wonyoung's center spot and first line for this LVER cover

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

First person to sing and walks to center

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

After Bahi first part, the focus is on Xiaoting surrounded by the rest of members

Center and first person to sing

There aren't many Chinese centers. The few I can think of is Yiren from Everglow and Hang Hao from ZB1 (he got No. 1 in Boys Planet),, Xiaoting would make an amazing center.

• Here too

Screenshot_2023-12-14-01-52-12-547_app.rvx.android.youtube-edit.jpg

:pepe-flirt:

• Seriously though with a visual that gorgeous putting her at anywhere else other than the centre just feels so out of place

Also, don't forget she is the center of the MAMA collab stage of which the collab consist of the main vocal of a top tier GG (G)I-DLE Minnie, one of the most charismatic members of LSFM Yunji , dance legend Monika, and winner of SWF2 legendary choreographer Bada Lee

And she is the center of this line up AS SHE DESERVES

:pepe-flirt:

I honestly couldn't look at anyone else

• But I lowkey feel bad about Chaehyun, as we can all see that Xiaoting actually stands out like a real center compared to her, even though she's the P01. Somi and Wonyoung are both iconic and undeniably center, even with Sejeong and Sakura around. We can always tell who the company focuses on the most in their music videos, performances, and photoshoots. Chaehyun still gets a lot of lines, but yeah, it's kinda sad she didn't enjoy the privilege of being the center like Wonyoung and Somi. But then, I don't blame Wk1 for pushing Xiaoting, as she fits the center position the most in that group and balances them. I never thought I gonna say this, but the final voting system kinda saved Xiaoting from more trouble. If they didn't weigh Korean votes more, Bahiyyih would be the center. Well, her fans are quite insufferable, so if this happened, they would drag Xiaoting a lot. Chaehyun's fans are more calm and tolerable. I feel bad for her but Xiaoting star power is just too much to deny.

• But I lowkey feel bad about Chaehyun, as we can all see that Xiaoting actually stands out like a real center compared to her, even though she's the P01. Somi and Wonyoung are both iconic and undeniably center, even with Sejeong and Sakura around. We can always tell who the company focuses on the most in their music videos, performances, and photoshoots. Chaehyun still gets a lot of lines, but yeah, it's kinda sad she didn't enjoy the privilege of being the center like Wonyoung and Somi. But then, I don't blame Wk1 for pushing Xiaoting, as she fits the center position the most in that group and balances them. I never thought I gonna say this, but the final voting system kinda saved Xiaoting from more trouble. If they didn't weigh Korean votes more, Bahiyyih would be the center. Well, her fans are quite insufferable, so if this happened, they would drag Xiaoting a lot. Chaehyun's fans are more calm and tolerable. I feel bad for her but Xiaoting star power is just too much to deny.

Think also part of her being the always C1 center makes it natural for her to take center stage + her natural presence just makes it fit so well. At least Chaehyun have a lot of vocal parts as their main vocal so it's not like she is completely shafted.

I really hope she pull a Sakura and stay in Korea and debut in another more successful group. It's such a waste if it doesn't happen

when i look at kepler the only one i see stand out is chaehyun

• I've noticed a lot of talk about how Somi should be in a girl group and I think it's disrespectful.

She chose to have a solo career. I don't know why people want her in a gg so bad!?!

• This thread contains 3 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!