Who is more successful SNSD Vs New Jeans Vs Twice Vs Blackpink

• ? 108

The result is only visible to the participants.

I think this would be a more fair poll than the other one. Company Stan’s can’t gang up :pepe-hehe:

Also this question has no specification vote based on YOUR definition of success. It can be legacy it can be one hit song it can be comparing their peak it can be global or Korean. It can be anything. There’s no “right” criteria. I’m just curious to see what people find important.

Let’s see how people vote. You can explain your criteria as well if you want to engage with the thread.

• My pick is blackpink so far.

The only thing that’ll change my ranking is if New Jeans has a solo concert in Jamsil Stadium.

Which ever GG tours Jamsil in Korea I’ll give them the #1 spot automatically lol. For me that would be the #1 criteria for GGs. Because it’s never been done before and I think it would be interesting to see who breaks that barrier.

• Okay...

First 1.5 years:

Group success

Twice

NewJeans

Blackpink

Gap

SNSD

Individually (first 1.5 years)

SNSD

NewJeans

Blackpink

Gap

Twice

Having more than 5 songs:

Twice

NewJeans

SNSD

Gap

Blackpink

Complex is over-rated, Ill go up higher and shine brighter than anyone else

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• The 16 months old group getting out against these legends is already the biggest W :pepe-toast:

Not really. I would have put exo up against any of the legends even in 2013 and people were comparing twice to SNSD in their 2nd year. It’s quite common for new groups that see success usually in their first few years to be compared to the older groups.

It’s actually the other way round. It’s more impressive for example for SNSD to be in this discussion when they are such a legacy group with vastly different kpop landscape. It’s the norm for the newest top group to be included.

• Not really. I would have put exo up against any of the legends even in 2013 and people were comparing twice to SNSD in their 2nd year. It’s quite common for new groups that see success usually in their first few years to be compared to the older groups.

It’s actually the other way round. It’s more impressive for example for SNSD to be in this discussion when they are such a legacy group with vastly different kpop landscape. It’s the norm for the newest top group to be included.

Being constantly compared to the biggest girl groups and needing the conversation to be expanded to the full breadth of their careers for it to be competitive is a big, big W.

If NewJeans continue at their current pace, they'll easily be the biggest girl group of all time :pepe-shrug:

That's why there are so many jealous, salty people here literally hoping and praying for their downfall, because they see the writing on the wall.

• Being constantly compared to the biggest girl groups and needing the conversation to be expanded to the full breadth of their careers for it to be competitive is a big, big W.

If NewJeans continue at their current pace, they'll easily be the biggest girl group of all time :pepe-shrug:

That's why there are so many jealous, salty people here literally hoping and praying for their downfall, because they see the writing on the wall.

It’s a W but it’s not special. It’s a testament to them being the current top group. But all “current” top groups will keep getting these comparison.

It’s only impressive if they keep getting included in these conversation as new top groups emerge in the future.

• It’s a W but it’s not special. It’s a testament to them being the current top group. But all “current” top groups will keep getting these comparison.

It’s only impressive if they keep getting included in these conversation as new top groups emerge in the future.

They've set the bar so impossibly high that I'll be surprised if we see any group come close to what they've done to start their career. They were a culture reset the moment they debuted out of nowhere and took over the industry seemingly over night.

"The World is NewJeans" they say along the streets of Seoul. If there was a Hall of Fame for K-Pop, they could retire today and be first ballot entries.

What NewJeans is doing right now is absolutely special, and insecure older gen fans are trying so hard to diminish their greatness instead of just appreciating them taking the baton from the previous generation and lifting the industry to new heights.

It's how it works every generation; I'm just choosing not to fight it.

• it terms of being more successful is blackpink without being biased

but I will give credit to twice for their first 3 years and the others as well it's just I feel the other poll was a bit I don't know biased lol

what about after 1. 5 years? bp mega hit came later in 2018 think your criteria is wrong there are many things to take into consideration. it's not cut and dried as you are putting it, let's be real because their trajectory is different and during that time bp was definitely bigger globally in comparison to other ggs then considering it was harder then not to mention spotify wasn't as big as it is now and there wasn't much push

• weve got to agree to disagree I guess. Imo they’ve only so far done what’s expected of their company and management name. 👀

For me it will be a good few years and a solid tour that will cement their top spot.

With the current gen ALL numbers are inflated. None of the numbers have the same meaning they did few years back. The same things you find profound and impressive I have a hard time believing are real (this isn’t limited to NJ, it’s how I view KPOP currently) So for their numbers to be “real” I ll wait to see their concert numbers along with sustained performance.

• How about “peak year” 👀

SNSD (2009) - 2 defining hits

Twice (2016) 2 defining hits

NewJeans (2022) 2 defining hits, 1 normal hit and 1 minor hit

Blackpink (2020) 1 defining hit, 1 major hit, 1 minor hit

Even if NewJeans did technically have the best year, I just can't rightfully ignore the long-term impact of Gee, Cheer Up and TT.

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• bp has 2 major hits D4 and how you like that and one normal hit whistle and well the other ones were hits just not major minor hits if you want to call it did well until maybe pink venom

• what about after 1. 5 years? bp mega hit came later in 2018 think your criteria is wrong there are many things to take into consideration. it's not cut and dried as you are putting it, let's be real because their trajectory is different and during that time bp was definitely bigger globally in comparison to other ggs then considering it was harder then not to mention spotify wasn't as big as it is now and there wasn't much push

I did 1.5 years because that's how old NewJeans is as a group? We can talk about after when we get there lol

Hence why SNSD ranked at the bottom considering they didn't have any huge hits unlike everyone else, even if Blackpink didn't have THE hit yet. Blackpink were still incredibly successful in their early years

I think it's a bit fairer my way than honestly comparing the entire careers of groups with 7-16 years on them to a group that's 1 year old and hasn't even started touring yet

• I did 1.5 years because that's how old NewJeans is as a group? We can talk about after when we get there lol

Hence why SNSD ranked at the bottom considering they didn't have any huge hits unlike everyone else, even if Blackpink didn't have THE hit yet. Blackpink were still incredibly successful in their early years

I think it's a bit fairer my way than honestly comparing the entire careers of groups with 7-16 years on them to a group that's 1 year old and hasn't even started touring yet

isn't unfair to compare bp either considering their peak was later after their 1.5 years in their debut they were behind twice then but later they surpassed them which imo is more impressive

also don't forget that nj had way more resources and pushed by their company and spotify wasn't as big as it is today. When I say it's a different era I meant it its hard to compare bc of that

• Whichever you find important. It’s a broad question. If you find legacy more important you can vote based on that. If you find sheer popularity more important you can choose that.

Oh, I just read your OP and you explained It already, thank you for explaning again.

In terms of comercial success, objectively, BLACKPINK. No one is touching their numbers right now. I like to take in consideration international and domestic popularity and, as consequence, giving them this spot, cause It's weird gatekeeping korean industry to one country when since the first generation K-pop has been coping western music and Japan conceptually and musically to break out globally.

In terms of legacy and influence to the K-pop industry we've known today, SNSD. There's still rookies that weren't even born when they debuted or knew how to sing naming them as role models and I think It's kinda fascinating.

• bp has 2 major hits D4 and how you like that and one normal hit whistle and well the other ones were hits just not major minor hits if you want to call it did well until maybe pink venom

"Peak year" meaning only one but I disagree with this

2 defining hits: D4 and HYLT

Major hits: Whistle, PWF, aiiyl, LSG, KTL, Pink venom

Hit: shutdown

isn't unfair to compare bp either considering their peak was later after their 1.5 years in their debut they were behind twice then but later they surpassed them which imo is more impressive

also don't forget that nj had way more resources and pushed by their company and spotify wasn't as big as it is today. When I say it's a different era I meant it its hard to compare bc of that

No I think it's perfectly fair to compare similar time spans than looking at the entire career for one group and picking and choosing the most formative years of another.

You're downplaying Blackpink (and YG) quite a lot here. Blackpink's debut was explosive to a level that hadn't been seen since Miss A and wouldn't be seen again until NewJeans debut. The fact that it took 7 years for another girl group to break the records they set speaks to the impact they've had since debut.

Even if they didn't have a groundbreaking hit, they still had 3 huge hits to them in that time frame.

Look at SNSD on the other hand, they had 1 hit that didn't touch anything close to BP, Nj's or Twice's level atp.

Hybe was bigger than YG was when BP debuted and YG was bigger than JYP when Twice debuted and JYP was bigger than SM when Soshi debuted. I've never really seen the point in splitting hairs over privilege in-between Big 4 groups.

• If people come with the "They have it easier now", then the only correct option should be SNSD, when they debuted the international popularity of Kpop was 0, they even peaked before Gangnam style, there was no chance to do what groups are doing now. I find this argument weak though, under that we might have to say Seo Taiji is the biggest group ever and never accept other points because they started everything.

If we talk about success not caring about the timing it's obviously BP, it's not even close. The amount of brand deals they've already made and their relevance worldwide is unmatched. Twice might be making tons of money with touring (people only care about touring and money for these discussions when their favs are 6 or 7 years into their career lol), but the public recognition of BP is unmatched. You can ask a random person in Europe what kpop groups they know and 90% of them will say BTS and BP, give it a try.

About potential NJ leads and that's why I voted for them. Their first 16 months are bigger than the first 16 months of the rest. Apart from having it easier because of the gen they are, which is true, they are just outperforming everybody.

Basically it's like if they added Twice's blow up in Korea (faster, with the debut they already were at least in their Cheer up era), BP's international success, and they even already became big in Japan when in 16 months SNSD or Twice haven't made it yet. All this with MANY more songs being succesful than the others. Twice had 4 big hits, BP other 3 and let's add Boombayaah internationally, now compare it with the discography NJ already have, they've 6-8 hits in Korea, 5 songs that made it into the BB Hot 100, 3 of them charting for 5+ weeks (that's already more than BP), in Japan I think they've 5? songs with certifications, it's literally comparable with the discography of most top groups in terms of success and they've just started.

Just compare how dominant NJ is now and how the others were back then, you can even ignore BTS' anomaly in the 3rd gen since it's true that's a disadvantage for Twice and BP but the truth is Exo was considered bigger than them back then, NJ is far above the rest. Hell today they're gonna win other 2-3 daesangs...

The problem is it's really complicated to continue growing like this, but if they do they will be #1, only time will tell.

Basically, BP is the most succesful, NJ is my bet for who will end up being the biggest, sorry for the long post lol.

• SNSD will always be the girlgroup with the biggest legacy in kpop

idols are still debuting now and mentionning SNSD as their role model after so many years and 2 generations after

and if people are objective there's no GG songs released yet who have been able to match the legacy of Into the new world and Gee till this day

tbh i think no GG songs will be able to reach the legacy of this two songs just because of the way people consume music now, we just move on from one hit to another and always looking for the next things who will be viral for 5 min, until we find a new thing viral

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

Edited once, last by SooYoung ().

• You cant really hold SNSD success up to Twice or Blackpink and if things keep going well for them NewJeans too.

3rd gen just grew Kpop far more than 2nd ever did and the spoils they had were far far larger. 4th gen is also in a similar situation where they are having a massive worldwide boom.

SNSD isn't in the question.

For now nor is NJs.

Right now, it's BP.

But Twice is very close and ahead in several areas. Twice are also firmly secured in their future and BP are let's be real, they done. Twice is going to keep going strong and have more massive tours, more albums, more songs, etc. I think overall Twice will be a 10-15 year group but unlike say SNSD they still have a massive fandom and global touring ability in that time where Girls Gen just didn't.

• What individual success did BP and NJ had for there to be a gap between them and TWICE? Bffr, the only group with individual success in the first 1.5 years is SNSD with YoonA's successful acting debut + Taeyeon's hit OST "If", both in 2008.

and they even already became big in Japan when in 16 months SNSD or Twice haven't made it yet.

TWICE released TT aka the biggest Korean song in Japan of all time in October 2016, 12 months after debut. TWICE 16 months into their career were definitely bigger than NJ now in Japan.

• TWICE released TT aka the biggest Korean song in Japan of all time in October 2016, 12 months after debut. TWICE 16 months into their career were definitely bigger than NJ now in Japan.

By the time it was their only succesful song in Japan, it also took time, its success was focused on longevity. NJ just won the equivalent of a bonsang in Japan (Twice didn't win that same award until 2018 3 years into their career) with Ditto and have tons of certifications with songs that are still charting and they've done it since the debut. Their popularity in Japan is really underrated because of how big their international achievements are.

I also don't agree with TT being the biggest korean song in japan of all time when there's Mister or Dynamite but I'm not gonna discuss that since it's not the point.

• In terms of total career stats:

Touring : Blackpink and its not even close (They make the most money in their career as a result)

Album Sales: Twice and its not even close

International Streams, Charting: Blackpink and its not even close ( YT, Spotify is at least 4.5 Billion gap, Blackpink has #1s in charts all over Asia and they chart better in Europe and NA as well, plus they are basically #1 in China)

Korean Streams, Charting: Twice has about 10 hits in Korea, with 3 very big ones in TT, DTNA and Cheer Up, Blackpink has about 9 hits with 3 very big ones in AIIYL/LSG, D4 and HYLT ( so its close but Twice edges it), SNSD has some really really iconic hits but overall they are way more well known for their recognition than digital power and NewJeans is too young

Would say because of this Blackpink edges it as the most successful k gg of the 4 and of all time. Personally I dont really care about brand reputation, popularity, international/korea impact and everything else but if those are added then it would just be more points for why Blackpink is #1

Edited 4 times, last by z1 ().

• By the time it was their only succesful song in Japan, it also took time, its success was focused on longevity. NJ just won the equivalent of a bonsang in Japan (Twice didn't win that same award until 2018 3 years into their career) with Ditto and have tons of certifications with songs that are still charting and they've done it since the debut. Their popularity in Japan is really underrated because of how big their international achievements are.

I also don't agree with TT being the biggest korean song in japan of all time when there's Mister or Dynamite but I'm not gonna discuss that since it's not the point.

Cheer Up and LOA both did 36 weeks on Japan Hot 100 so no TT wasn't their only successful song.

I really don't see NJ popularity in Japan. None of their songs have charted for even 1 full year in Japan and their recent single, Super Shy is about to fall off after 20 weeks.

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

TWICE got invited to Kohaku aka the most prestigious year end show in Japan the same year TT blew up. Did NJ get invited this year?

loml

Edited once, last by vzal ().

• I won't compare SNSD as it really is not fair at all. SNSD though I think has the strongest legacy overall on kpop though I think Twice and BP can develope that in maybe 4 to 5 years.

Twice and BP are clear number 1s here. I think arguments can be made for both. Though I think most arguments would end with BP being the most successful but honestly I think Twice will have a longer career as a group than BP so I would consider that a success in and of itself.

NJs isnt even a competition currently which isnt really their fault at all. They have immense potential however and the future is really theirs.

• Also NJs isnt really on any polls about popular groups in Japan. I believe for girl groups from Korea only Twice is on the list also Niziu but they are Japanese so.

• This thread contains 71 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!