Is JYPE in Trouble (in Korea) and Possible Solutions

• So I decided to look at the last 4 releases of the current top 4 groups in JYPE on the Weekly Melon Chart. That means TWICE, Stray Kids, Itzy, and NMIXX. Now I realize that there are other groups and solo artists but these are currently the top 4 flag ship groups out of JYPE. We always hear that JYPE are having a hard time currently in Korea and really the facts bare that out. JYPE'S flagship GG (Twice) and BG (Stray Kids) have not charted on the weekly Melon Chart this year. ITZY and NMIXX have charted and did quite well but they are very inconsistent. Out of the 16 releases I looked at, only 3 have cracked the top ten and of those three only 1, Nmixx's LMLT, did it this year. JYPE averages basically 1 top 10 song a year for all of their top 4 groups. Thats terrible. In 2021, Twice had a top 10 song. In 2022, Itzy had a top 10 song. Finally, in 2023, NMIXX had a top 10 song. In the last 3 years of JYPE groups, ITZY is the best charting with 48 weeks of being in the top 100. Itzy will probably crack 50 weeks before the end of the year due to how well Cake is charting. However this is looking over 3 years. Meaning ITZY has only been charting roughly 50 weeks out of 168 weeks over 3 years. Twice has only had a song in the weekly melon chart for 43 weeks out of 168 weeks in 3 years. Nmixx has charted roughly 33 weeks out of their existence of roughly 100 weeks. This means that over the past 3 years most of the time no JYPE group song is in the top 100 on Melon's weekly chart. This doesnt even address Stray Kids who have not charted at all in the past 3 years.

Now this isnt completely disastrous for JYPE as their groups do amazingly internationally and tour and sell albums well. They all have big fanbases. However, it is a problem that for basically the past 3 years now, no JYPE group has been able to consistently release music that charts well and all of the groups have at one point not even charted on the Melon Top 100. What can be done to change this situation?

I think a completel overhaul of the producing, writing, and composition teams need to happen. Things just arent hitting with the Korean public. Again JYPE is doing fine due to the massive fandoms and international popularity of their groups but it isnt a good sign if the country your groups come from arent really listening to your groups music. What do you think?

Twice

TWICE Discusses the Pressures of Being a Top K-Pop Group | Time

Avg. Debut: 53

Highest Peak: 8

Total Weeks in Top 100: 43

Taste of Love: Jun. 2021

Debut: 40

Peak: 8

Weeks in Top 100: 23

Scientist Nov. 2021

Debut: 79

Peak: 55

Weeks in Top 100: 7

Between 1&2 Aug. 2022

Debut: 40

Peak: 31

Weeks in Top 100: 13

Ready To Be Mar. 2023

Debut: Didn't Debut

Peak: No Chart

Weeks in Top 100: 0

Stray Kids

Stray Kids | Kpop Wiki | Fandom

Avg. Debut: Never Debuted

Highest Peak: N/A

Total Weeks in Top 100: 0

No Easy: Aug. 2021

Oddinary Mar. 2022

Maxident Oct. 2022

5-Star Jun. 2023

ITZY

K-Pop Stars ITZY Explain Why Their Group Dynamic Is So Special | Teen Vogue

Avg. Debut: 56

Highest Peak: 5

Total Weeks in Top 100: 48 (Still Counting)

Crazy in Love: Sept. 2021

Debut: 43

Peak: 35

Weeks in Top 100: 9

Checkmate Jul. 2022

Debut: 43

Peak: 5

Weeks in Top 100: 27

Chesire Nov. 2022

Kill My Doubt Jul. 2023

Debut: 83

Peak: 21

Weeks in Top 100: 12 (Still Charting at 59)

NMIXX

NMIXX Members Profile (Updated!)

Avg. Debut: 95

Highest Peak: 8

Total Weeks in Top 100: 33

Ad Mare: Feb. 2022

Debut: 100

Peak: 95

Weeks in Top 100: 3

Entwurf Sept. 2022

Debut: 80

Peak: 53

Weeks in Top 100: 10

Expergo Mar. 2023

Debut: 92

Peak: 8

Weeks in Top 100: 20

A Midsummer Nmixx's Dream Jul. 2023

• Don't worry

Day6 will save JYPE's digitals

This is Day6 without a single promotion since 2019

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And 2 of their songs are top 3 in JYPE with no comeback no promotion

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

They are the digital giants of JYPE with a 2017 and 2019 song

External Content x.com

And they are the 5th most streamed BG with no promotion

External Content x.com

So when Day6 comeback in 2024, they will carry JYPE and their flop digitals

;judgingpepe:

• I only counted Melon as really that's the only chart that matters in terms of relevance. Also Day6 isnt active our I totally would have included them.

• Unless they sack everyone in their creative department and stop hiring terrible producers like Melanie and Lindgren and stop wasting money on buying their own irrelevant groups albums in the millions and putting that money into meaningful promos we'll see no improvement.

• When will people stop acting like the problem is the song

Jyp have tried so many various things for his group musically but nothing hit

The problem is the whole package

People need to stop being delusional and think it's the song, any song can do well in korea

The problem with jyp is that his group are making NO NOISE

The problem isn't the music or the sound it's the marketing

None of the comeback they announce for their groups look like it's a big phenomenon

Yes the fandom is happy and excited but to do well you need more

That you like group like aespa, lesserafim etc.... Or not

Doesn't change the fact that most people will always give a try at their comebacks

Because they are marketed and their whole pre-comeback teasing looks big , impressive and hype people who aren't even fans thanks to their aesthetic

The problem with jyp is that every time they announce a comeback none of their teaser looks big, leave an impact enough strong

Like i can't even remember how the teaser for cake looks because of unoriginal and boring they look

Meanwhile i remember next level or love dive teaser like it was yesterday because of the big impression they left, which make people curious about their song

If JYP can't make his own groups looks like a top group in the way he promote and market them, nobody will see them as a top groups and be excited for their cb outside their fandom

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• Unless they sack everyone in their creative department and stop hiring terrible producers like Melanie and Lindgren and stop wasting money on buying their own irrelevant groups albums in the millions and putting that money into meaningful promos we'll see no improvement.

I highly doubt JYPE would make a long term policy of buying their own group albums. This would basically bankrupt the company if done over a three year span. It makes no sense financially and would be disastrous legally if found out. I do agree however that the creative aspect needs improvement and they need to stop working with certain producers that obviously aren’t doing well.

But yeah your claim that they buy their own albums is unfounded and makes zero sense as a long term strategy. And over the three year period that I looked at releases, JYPE would have basically gone bankrupt with that startegy. It also doesn’t explain the relatively decent touring ability of all JYPE groups.

• I do agree they need better release strategies. They must have meetings beginning each year and discuss the schedule of releases for each group I don’t know how they mess it up.

RV last release didn’t do too well as it debuted at 45 and was out of the top 100 in 3 weeks. Their release before that did well though and so did Queendom. But yeah RV is generally liked still we shall see how they chart

• I think this is true to an extent. I have always complained about JYPE’s cheap promotion style for their songs but I do think the songs themselves are also a problem and who they hire as their producers.

• The fact out of all the 4, SKZ is the only one with a strong identity.

The GG are in pits because they lack identity, and JYP throws whatever hoping something will stick.

Itzy were doing well with their self love concept, now I don’t know how their next cb will sound.

Twice are hit or miss. Talk that talk was amazing then came up with this horrible cb.

NMIXX was controversial but the mix pop was a strong idea maybe not the execution but now they look like a nugu group.

• idk if it's the cause of this or not, but I always notice that the jype gg concepts are all very unoriginal and interchangeable, especially recently. which makes each cb feel like non-event and like a recycled concept. i think you can understand what i mean if you ask yourself what concept were these groups were trying to do and not finding an answer.

the last jype gg concept that was memorable to me was scientist, that was well done and iconic.

• idk if it's the cause of this or not, but I always notice that the jype gg concepts are all very unoriginal and interchangeable, especially recently. which makes each cb feel like non-event and like a recycled concept. i think you can understand what i mean if you ask yourself what concept were these groups were trying to do and not finding an answer.

the last jype gg concept that was memorable to me was scientist, that was well done and iconic.

But scientist didn’t do well. I do agree though identity is a problem. I disagree to a point that their concepts can be interchangeable. I don’t think an ITZY song would fit as well with Twice. But I do get your point generally.

• The fact out of all the 4, SKZ is the only one with a strong identity.

The GG are in pits because they lack identity, and JYP throws whatever hoping something will stick.

Itzy were doing well with their self love concept, now I don’t know how their next cb will sound.

Twice are hit or miss. Talk that talk was amazing then came up with this horrible cb.

NMIXX was controversial but the mix pop was a strong idea maybe not the execution but now they look like a nugu group.

I don’t necessarily mean song quality more so charting ability and consistency. I do agree with the identity thing somewhat though.

• I do agree they need better release strategies. They must have meetings beginning each year and discuss the schedule of releases for each group I don’t know how they mess it up.

RV last release didn’t do too well as it debuted at 45 and was out of the top 100 in 3 weeks. Their release before that did well though and so did Queendom. But yeah RV is generally liked still we shall see how they chart

That's why i said RV last comeback did poorly with birthday

and pretty much anybody would agree with me about how the teaser were pretty thanks to the girls but the concept was generic and boring

and a bad comeback can kill a group hype, that's why i use the red velvet example because birthday charting performance could have kill their hype but thanks to how SM is presenting them this comeback people are so hype

and when you look at how presented red velvet were when they had hits

compare to birthday concept

Red Velvet Feel My Rhythm elc.or.jp

Red Velvet est « Psycho » dans son nouveau MV - K.OWLS

they all had both very distinctive Concept identity

now when you look at birthday teaser, the concept is girl having fun and what ? it's a concept rebranded again and again

and doesn't hype anybody to listen to the song or want to see how the mv would look like outside of the fandom

Red Velvet gets together to throw a crazy birthday party in the new group  teaser photos for their comeback | allkpop

the problem isn't schedules because Aespa and red velvet are releasing songs preetty close to each other but both are getting a lot of hype

the problem is JYP not being able to find a sstrong concept and follow with it to create an identity to his gg

• I think this is true to an extent. I have always complained about JYPE’s cheap promotion style for their songs but I do think the songs themselves are also a problem and who they hire as their producers.

No i'm sorry but the producer excuses is a lame excuse to me

Because When JYP announce that they were working back with Galactika for Loco, everybody was hype and saying how galactika only do bops, people were happy with the song and were saying how it was itzzy back to their root

and then when the song did poorly in the chart, they suddenly change their opinion on galactika

when JYP announce that Itzy was working with BEP for cake, everybody was saying that it was finally the time for Itzy to be back at the top because BEP are the one who put Twice at the top, and are currently doing very well in the chart with StayC

when Cake did poorly then people change their opinion on BEP and start to say that they lose their touch even if stayC is getting top 10 hits everytime they comeback thanks to BEP

Cheshire was produced by different producer too

same for Twice

pretty much everytime they comeback Twice and Itzy are working with different producer for the title track, because JYP is trying to see with which producer it'll finally work for the koreans public

I'm sorry but when you work with 1, 2, 3 ...different producer everytime and it's not working

especially when the producer you work with, work with another group 2 months after and gets a top 10 hit

the problem isn't the producer anymore but it's bigger and look at the bigger picture

• the last jype gg concept that was memorable to me was scientist, that was well done and iconic.

But scientist didn’t do wel

actually scientist concept had a lot of potential

but look at the way JYP promoted it during teaser time and the concept

I'm sorry but it makes no sense, and it's a big problem with JYP

bery often they are selling one thing during the teaser time and give you something totally different when they release the song

sooooo many people were going crazy about the trailer for Formula of love saying how aesthetic pleasing it was, and very well filmed etc...

and when you look at the mv it's completely different, the core concept is still the same, but the mood and the vibe is completely different from what JYP was selling in the trailer for Scientist of love

the same thing happen with Between 1&2 trailer, when it was release so many people were hype because they were saying that Twice was going full mature and more sexy this era, and then they start to release more stuff and people were disappointed because it looked cute and once again an image that feel recycle again and again on twice

i've been saying this again and again but JYP doesn't know what to do with Twice

he want to make them more mature to gather more international fans

but he wants to keep them cute too to keep some of the koreans fanbase

and then you end up with teaser like Between 1&2 and Scientist where both are clashing and you don't even know what the final product would look like and make a lot of people lose hype

The same thing happen with Itzy for cake, all this era was marketed around the "boxe" concept i remember seeing so many people saying itzy were going to fight against their doubt, and stand up for themselves, and being back to a "self love" message with more mature image

and then being disappointed by cake teaser because it was miles away from the concept and image that JYP was trying to sell to the fans for weeks

• Why are we acting like it’s only domestically their songs aren’t doing well

Internationally they’ve barely spent any time on Spotify Global this year either :pepe-narrow-eyes:

There’s a much larger deficiency outside of domestic issues

• You are 4 years and 2 ruined girl groups late to making this thread

Somi really dodged the bullet tho. My apologies girlie, I wasn't familiar with your game at the time. You knew better all along.

• Can you be more specific? What do you mean?

People don't want idols anymore, they want icons

One of the most distinct characteristics of an idol is fan content and fan engagement. Be relatable. Being available etc.If you were to think of the quintessential idol group, you'd probably come to Twice. Sometimes they're more like jpop idols than k-idols because all they seem to do is churm out fan content despite their seniority.

The problem starts when that's all they seem to do. There's very little chance for the members to bring in fans because JYP is allergic to solo careers which makes building a group brand super hard. It calms for a reliance on music and the music misses more than it hits. And with a bunch of groups that don't have a brand, JYP itself doesn't have much of a brand either anymore. I could tell you something about a NewJeans or I've or Le Sserafilm or aespa member that doesn't have to do with their group. Couldn't say anything for Itzy or Nmixx

People want to stan celebrities which is why most companies treat the idol role as a stepping stone or only half the job. JYP doesn't and that's why their idols have never had the same longevity as other B3 and now that they're in a clear creative crisis, they're suffering the consequences of constantly milking instead of building

Complex is over-rated, Ill go up higher and shine brighter than anyone else

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• But Cake didn’t do as poorly as nearly every single other JYPE group release and it has the best longevity of any JYPE song since Alcohol Free. Also you do have songs that hit it like Love Me Like This, Sneakers, and Alcohol free. All songs that didn’t have great advertising but they did well.

While Scientist did have pretty good promotion and creative teasers and it did badly. So yes I agree it’s an important factor but if the song isn’t catchy then it doesn’t really matter.

• You are 4 years and 2 ruined girl groups late to making this thread

Somi really dodged the bullet tho. My apologies girlie, I wasn't familiar with your game at the time. You knew better all along.

They aren’t ruined, also just because they don’t chart well doesn’t mean the music is inherently bad. Charting doesn’t mean good music.

• But churning out fan content clearly does work. BTS has some of the most fan content out of any group. New Jeans also does a lot of fan content. That’s clearly not the answer. I do agree that how these groups are marketed is different however. And especially with JYPEs youngest group, NMIXX, he doesn’t know what to do with them. I mean at least ITZY and Twice both had their time in the light. But NMIX has been very up and down.

• Why are we acting like it’s only domestically their songs aren’t doing well

Internationally they’ve barely spent any time on Spotify Global this year either :pepe-narrow-eyes:

There’s a much larger deficiency outside of domestic issues

I mean internationally as in like touring and sales. Most groups don’t chart that well internationally.

• I think you are correct. Artistically I do think JYPE groups come up with some of the best songs. But maybe not the catchiest

Maybe. But releasing catchier music doesn't do much for boygroup nowdays. It's not about the public listening and hating, It's about the public not listening at all to even have a opinion on. If anything, trying to touch this would just desconstruct the identity It took them so long to build and stabilize.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• This thread contains 14 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!