Do you think its outrageous that idols never have 30 consecutive days of vacation?

• In an interviews, Minho was asked what he would do with a month of vacation and he said he doesnt know. He said since he started working he has never had a month long vacation and people were outraged.

To be honest, I dont think thats very surprising

I havent had a month long vacation since I was 4. It was either school or summer programs, summer jobs, internships and more.

If he said he never had a week long vacation, I would have undrestood the outrage toward the industry but month long vacation is not a very usual thing.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• So I have 5-6 week of vacation a year, but I prefer taking 1 week vacations at a time and have 5-6 trips vs one long one.

what line of work gives you that much paid vacation?

Im in a wrong line o f work

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• All agencies should normalize this especially for mental health have these idols have a long vacation. Sometimes getting away from the system and everything nearby that can be part of the stress is helpful. Knowing how hard the shit is here in Korea if i ran sm I'd send SHINee away for 6 months tell them to go anywhere live anywhere in the world and enjoy your vacation. Work if you want to while away do vlogs if you want i don't care but you are NOT obligated to work go enjoy your life hell forget you are an idol just unwind, and come back when you feel like it.

The change of scenery and likely shock of living someplace new would be a positively stimulating experience and would help curb mental issues and relieve stress

• All agencies should normalize this especially for mental health have these idols have a long vacation. Sometimes getting away from the system and everything nearby that can be part of the stress is helpful. Knowing how hard the shit is here in Korea if i ran sm I'd send SHINee away for 6 months tell them to go anywhere live anywhere in the world and enjoy your vacation. Work if you want to while away do vlogs if you want i don't care but you are NOT obligated to work go enjoy your life hell forget you are an idol just unwind, and come back when you feel like it.

The change of scenery and likely shock of living someplace new would be a positively stimulating experience and would help curb mental issues and relieve stress

I'm not saying month long vacations are not nice

but does it make sense for kpop fans to be outraged at the kpop industry for it not existing?

Idk any lawyers, doctors, engineer or secretaries or literally any industry that is ok with 1 month long vacations.

I don't think this is a kpop exclusive problem. These kids should ask their parents when was the last time their parents had a 2 weeks vacations let alone 1 month?

• what line of work gives you that much paid vacation?

Im in a wrong line o f work

Sorry, i might have worded it weird.

I'm a revenue manager for hotels but I technically get 4 weeks (which I believe is standard for most ppl 5 year into their job??) I get 4 sick/personal day a year (one per quarter required by law here) so that's about 5 weeks.

I say 5-6 because I get the option of working holiday instead and use my holiday off in future, I don't celebrate most holidays ans we have 6federal holiday off in a year and I usually work em and the holiday off as a trip instead.

• I have 1 week for every 3 months, so basically 1 month in a year. But I can't took more than 2 weeks per once.

That's same system as my vacation structure

• Sorry, i might have worded it weird.

I'm a revenue manager for hotels but I technically get 4 weeks (which I believe is standard for most ppl 5 year into their job??) I get 4 sick/personal day a year (one per quarter required by law here) so that's about 5 weeks.

I say 5-6 because I get the option of working holiday instead and use my holiday off in future, I don't celebrate most holidays ans we have 6federal holiday off in a year and I usually work em and the holiday off as a trip instead.

That makes more sense

I have 4 weeks vacations but there is no limit for my sick days.

If a medical professional recommend me a break for physical and mental health reasons, my company is obligated to honor it. If it becomes more than 6 month a year, they will only give my 75 percent of my salary but that's not a bad deal.

• Idk maybe it depends of KR law. How many paid leave are allowed.

For the richest idols it doesn’t really matter but I don’t think it’s in their culture to not work for a long period. That’s why some of them only take two weeks makes and most of the time it’s for spending time with their family.

I mean in general, in any part of the world or any industry, month long vacations are not usual or common.

I don't know a single person around me who could take a month long vacation.

• That makes more sense

I have 4 weeks vacations but there is no limit for my sick days.

If a medical professional recommend me a break for physical and mental health reasons, my company is obligated to honor it. If it becomes more than 6 month a year, they will only give my 75 percent of my salary but that's not a bad deal.

Well that's even nicer... fortunately i have a strong immune system and never has to take off sick. Actually believe it or not, I've never had to call of sick in my entire life lol except one time I injured my leg and was off for 4 months but they let me work from home so number of sick days wasn't a problem.

But even with 5-6 weeks, realistically I only manage 4 trips a year because it takes me about 2-3 months plan a trip lol so near the end of the year, I just take 1 day off each week and have 4 day work weeks for 2 months

• here is interesting content from Gidle when they ask the CEO directly for a month-worth vacation, using peer presure

External Content youtu.be

• Well that's even nicer... fortunately i have a strong immune system and never has to take off sick. Actually believe it or not, I've never had to call of sick in my entire life lol except one time I injured my leg and was off for 4 months but they let me work from home so number of sick days wasn't a problem.

But even with 5-6 weeks, realistically I only manage 4 trips a year because it takes me about 2-3 months plan a trip lol so near the end of the year, I just take 1 day off each week and have 4 day work weeks for 2 months

I am out of action first or second day of my period cycle every month due to extreme cramp, migraines and nausea.

That's why I need more than a few sick leave days a year otherwise it will be taken out of my vacation days.

• What high level job gives you 4 weeks of holiday in a row? At that point you would need to be asking for a sabbatical. :pepe-narrow-eyes:

It’s not normal.

I think people who were outaged were probably kids

Month long vacations are a fantasy in adult world

• I mean in general, in any part of the world or any industry, month long vacations are not usual or common.

I don't know a single person around me who could take a month long vacation.

Yes this seems to be pretty normal for certain positions. My HR manager wanted to take one month off and my GM told her no because work can't function with her absent for one month. I think its common for positions where your the only one who can do your job.

My best friend who has multiple people in his department that can do his job have taken one month trips to visit family before.

• Also depends on person, I don't think I want to take a month the off even if I could. At most, 2 weeks for international trips.

Usually after 1 week, im ready to go back home, traveling is usually a little stressful for me. Im actually on the end of my vacation as we speak, I have a flight to catch in an hour and I'm miss my dog so much...friends and family too. But mainly my dog lol.

• I get 5 weeks paid annual leave a year and 27 paid sick days a year.

Last year I was able to take a 30 day vacation for my Korea trip but I had to book it long in advance and during a "quite" time of the year.

But in countries like Korea and Japan that much leave time, especially at once, is not common.

Saying that, idols are not your usual worker and their career is atypical. I honestly can't see why idols shouldn't be able to have a 1 month break each year, maybe after a tour ends or after a major comeback.

Didn't Dreamcatcher have a 30 day break early this year?

• In some ways it's just kind of hard to comprehend idols as actually workers because of how irregular the job seems. For the average person, of course a month long vacation is usually not on option but we can at least take time off or sick days. For idols all their time off is dependent on the schedule the company makes. I can kind of understand the logic in wanting them to have that much time off considering how physical demanding the job is but it's not practical. Wonder how many of them even get a week off

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKA

d5d89d5cd0ded673ad05b4ad8aa66c2a681af589.webpdd50b6cd6932ff0d00806a3981d3928185ee94c1.webp889793cb4f55d557baefb7c564c4b94a3129681d.webp

• The longest my ulti group ever had was 21 days (3 weeks) and they all went back to their parents for it (and in that time one of the most iconic streams happend where the group's leader was in his bedroom and his dad was constantly yelling "Junhee where are you?" and Jun yelled back: "I am in my room streaming, I told you to not come inside" and his dead just ignored it and yelled "But Junhee come outside!" )

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• Also depends on person, I don't think I want to take a month the off even if I could. At most, 2 weeks for international trips.

Usually after 1 week, im ready to go back home, traveling is usually a little stressful for me. Im actually on the end of my vacation as we speak, I have a flight to catch in an hour and I'm miss my dog so much...friends and family too. But mainly my dog lol.

I think I like 2 weeks at once for international vacations too

• In some ways it's just kind of hard to comprehend idols as actually workers because of how irregular the job seems. For the average person, of course a month long vacation is usually not on option but we can at least take time off or sick days. For idols all their time off is dependent on the schedule the company makes. I can kind of understand the logic in wanting them to have that much time off considering how physical demanding the job is but it's not practical. Wonder how many of them even get a week off

also, for some groups, no schedule (like cf shoot, shows, etc) means practicing their dance routine or vocal lesson.

• I don't think it's strange that idols do not have 30 days of consecutive vacation since there are many countries in the world where this isn't the norm at all, in fact I believe 30 days in a row is quite rare and probably just a select few European countries have that as the default.

Then again the truth is probably far worse than we imagine. Even if we see idols being 'inactive' for 2 months they are probably still having practice every day, preparing new performances, filming stuff etc.

I'd be surprised if the busiest groups like IVE get more than a few days off. They had a roughly 3 month period when we did not hear much from them between comebacks but how many months did it take to prepare a full fan 2h+ fan concert tour and a 11 song album with 2 MVs :/

• Teachers normally get the whole month of August . Then the days off from Xmas and Easter and other Holidays.

I however ain't a teacher.

I get 22 days a year and my employers would never allow me to take those days off all in a row.

I normally take two weeks at a time though I don't like to travel I just wanna stay home

I'm also not allowed to take sick days???

• what kind of dream vacation is that?

honestly I don't know anyone who would have 30 consecutive day of holidays

unless we mean grandparents who are both over 80 years old lol...

in Poland you can have two months of holiday when you are in elementary school/middle school/high school

but the thing is that many kids from elementary school either are still going to school to be there for few hours because of their parents work, or they are send somewhere to small village where grandma lives, in big older classes of elementary school you start going to those summer sports camps or just normal regular holiday summer camp which your parents can buy you in their workplace, or in the deal with school.

But basically yeah, the main point is that you need to be a young student who is either still a kid or early teenager, because many of those who are in high school are takin part time job, or summer jobs near the seaside for example selling ice creams, or working in some food truck or pizzeria etc.

• The entertainment industry in SK is messed up. I remember reading about k-drama actors and staff working up to 20h a day and I don't think it's much different for idols, especially in their prime years. There's very little regulations, you will basically work for as long as you have to, I'd be surprised if they even get a day off a week. I remember watching an old BTS clip, the members were shocked how strictly people followed their 9-5 work hours in the foreign countries.

• Now the reason for outrage isn't the fact its not a month it's the fact they get no vacation at all. Plus in this case for idol's id say they deserve a mandatory month long vacation, because of the unique challenges of the job and its accompanied stressors. The only other jobs i can see that would require that much down time is those working in hospitals doctors nurses etc and emergency service ie medica firefighters, psychiatrist and police. Because of the unique challenges and stressors of these jobs that you do not find in the average job most people have, which is why a 1 to 2 week vacation is fine for your average 9 to 5 job. Whereas idols need the additional time due to things most people will not encounter

• I think 1 week vacations are standard everywhere in every job.

The question is whether not having a month long vacation is outrageous. That's not something people have normally.

• I don't think most people in everyday jobs get 30 consecutive holidays either. I get a total of 40 paid days off (excluding Christmas holidays) and I would never use up a whole month in 1 shot, most I do is 2 weeks for summer and the occasional week off here and there.

Idols likely use holidays in small chunks like me rather than all in 1 go especially when you consider idols' group mates may have schedules at the same time so it would waste a month for a potential CB. A longer delay if they stagger their month long holidays.

• This thread contains 13 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!