[NATE/NAVER] SM's new 'K-Pop' training academy requires students to drop out of school to attend

• Article: In order to gain admission to this academy, you must drop out of school... What is SM's new private academy about?

The article dives in depth to SM's 'K-Star' private education academy that admitted its first year of students to a competition rate of 2.5:1. They cover everything from modeling to music production along with three mandatory hours of Korean, English, and math classes. Enrolling in the academy, however, does not make you a 'trainee' but just a student, which has incited criticism about the academy capitalizing on "dreams."

1d7ce090-e785-466f-8544-b2c196f8fdaf.webp

Source: Joongang Ilbo via Nate

1. [+462, -7] And how many of them will become stars in the end?

2. [+375, -13] More factory idols

3. [+259, -34] I don't think this is only a negative thing... The memories of focusing on something like this in your teens is helpful all throughout your life. Though yes, it is unfortunate that these kids will miss out on the memories of hanging out with their peers after school or getting in trouble with teachers - just simple memories like that. My only concern is that these kids are just being used for the profits to be gained by the adults who run this whole show and that they're just going to be spit out in the end to nothing. Parents should be cautious about those things.

4. [+38, -0] We already have

schools like SOPA and Hanlim so what more is there to learn at an academy like this?? It's not like SM is guaranteeing that you get to debut with them at the end.

5. [+32, -0] I thought you'd be recognized as trainees at the very least.. if you're not even a trainee, why would you pay money to attend this and even drop out of school for it;

6. [+27, -1] What about classes in ethics, morals, and history?

7. [+18, -0] The academy needs to let them attend regular school... Just because they go to school during the day doesn't mean their dancing or singing skills will decrease..

8. [+17, -0] This is all just a ploy for capitalism to suck them dry. These kids will never realize until they're adults just how average, and maybe even below average, they all actually are.

9. [+17, -0] I miss the days back in the '90s and '00s when celebrities used to just be cast off the streets. They were more unique than the stars now.

10. [+16, -0] This academy is basically taking naive kids and ruining their lives

11. [+15, -0] If this is what they want to do, what can any of us say? Let them take responsibility for their own lives.

12. [+14, -0] This sounds kind of scary

13. [+11, -1] So they have to pay to attend all three years?

14. [+10, -0] This academy is lacking character education, tsk tsk

15. [+9, -0] They're choosing to live 99% of their lives as backdrop characters for that 1% chance of hope

-

14b0b2cc-1ad2-4649-80c9-cdc6f6859a77.webpSource: Naver

1. [+413, -17] Public education could learn a thing or two from this... that kids will stay awake for lessons if it's something that they're actually interested in learning about for their futures...

2. [+224, -17] I actually like this... it's like Germany, how they have technical schools for specialty skills

3. [+155, -4] Just seems like a way for companies to cut back on trainee costs. Before, they had to cast trainees and train them for free with their own money, but with this academy system, they can have kids pay them to train and then get their pick of the talents in the end~~ Do the students who graduate and then go on to debut start to get paid right away since they have nothing they owe to the agency?

4. [+45, -0] It's a similar system to the soccer teams. They have youth leagues that they train so they can pick them for the adult leagues later. It's not necessarily a bad thing. These kids are able to pick if they want to do it in the end so it's their responsibility how their future ends up.

5. [+37, -0] But dropping out of school for this? For barely a chance at even one of them from the whole school debuting? What're you going to do later when you have no skills for a real job? Work at a bar?

6. [+26, -1] And how many of those students will actually go on to succeed ㅜ these poor kids are just being used for money ㅜ

7. [+71, -48] This is why I don't like SM. They turn kids into products and artists into factory punch-outs. It's all just so SM.

8. [+24, -2] It's a good deal on SM's end. No need to send recruiters and scouts out to cast kids everywhere. Just pick a good one from the academy. And plus, they're all paying to be there ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

9. [+22, -2] Hey, if these kids would normally be sleeping through class in a regular school but are actually showing interest in learning because of this academy, then it's a win-win in the end, isn't it? Public education can't be expected to be a fit for every type of student out there.

10. [+19, -1] So it's like a type of alternative school. What more can we say when it's obviously around because there's the consumption for it.

-

“ < 4 you & her

• A scam in broad daylight? Not only will students have to pay to attend this farce of a school that does not guarantee a spot to debut but they also have to lose their safety net that is high school?

• Well tbh i'm not shocked or anything i even find this quite normal

Most kids in korea already drop out of school to focusing on training to give all their chance on their side to debut

Also it's a specialize school, kids who are going to this type of school are the one who want to do this job and nothing else

It's like a music school or a football school where all the course are made to prepare the kids to enter the idol life, the musician life and football life

Where they learn all the theories and practics

Parents already know that when they'll sign their kids to a football school etc.. they'll never get the "normal" school treatment or classes

This type of school already exist and they were always incompatible with following a normal school so there's nothing shocking to me that a idol school following this same method is created

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip

• half of those students will not debut. again, profiting off children and making them think that they have a chance in the industry. they will come out of that academy with no knowledge of the real world.

A scam in broad daylight? Not only will students have to pay to attend this farce of a school that does not guarantee a spot to debut but they also have to lose their safety net that is high school?

Actually this type of school already exist for example for kids who xant to be football player

Where they enter the school when they are in primary school till they are 18 yo

And kids there doesn't have any guarantee to debut, if you don't stand out for a recruiter, or doesn't do any improvement or make any mistake

And i know this because my nephew want to enter in one, and i have a kid in my neighborhood who enter one

And somebody else i know who got fired of this school because he didn't make any improvement and the school hired better player

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip aespa Brand Concept Day Photoshoot Behind - Pantip

• Cue that one user defending anything SM-related once again

There seriously needs to be laws made there concerning stuff like this because as far as I'm concerned the industry is an unregulated mess. Absolutely nothing morally right about capitalizing off of naïve kids dreams and robbing them of a normal childhood, and sadly some parents don't care about them like that to not send them to stuff like this

• I bet the idea of this school was written by Legendary Scammer Man

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• it is not just like a performing art schools or something? noone goes to one of those expecting every single kid to become famous afterwards

• I bet the idea of this school was written by Legendary Scammer Man

they need to stop whatever is remaining from his ideas

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This sounds like what the Japanese company LDH did but a bit differently

LDH opend up their own school in 2022 and signed all artists and trainees who are still in school age. Besides most of the basic school stuff these who havn't debuted also take part in other classes like singing and dancing while those who have debuted can also take acting class if I remember right

That was the first time, where I had head of a company having their own school

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• it is not just like a performing art schools or something? noone goes to one of those expecting every single kid to become famous afterwards

This is nothing like a typical specialized school, and I say this as somebody who graduated from a Performing Arts highschool.

You still are offered a normal high school education at art schools, the only difference is your electives are filled with your designated art focus. You are still getting a normal education and your diploma is just as accredited as one from any standard high school.

This isn't a real accredited school and the fact that it says you have to drop out instead of transfer makes it abundantly clear. There's no actual degree, they don't need an education permit to run it and students get a GED instead

A school mainly targeted to foreign kids getting them to leave their home countries, drop out of school, pay 30k a year to train 9AM-9PM without any guarantee of so much as even being scouted by an actual company is beyond screwed up and extremely exploitive, even for SM

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• This is a school for the rich who are obsessed with KPOP.

You cannot get a diploma from this kind of institution, which means you would need a GED to be able to get a secondary education. Doesn't matter to chaebols who can buy a diploma/degree if need.

But, if you somehow are some scholarship student funded by SM, you're fucked if you don't debut.

Good luck being a YouTuber, VJ/BJ, or working a minimum wage job because you won't qualify for anything else.

I'd somewhat understand if they were trying to make this a legitimate accredited school and education, or if they were choosing SM trainees exclusively from this. But, they're not.

At that point, why not just audition directly for SM? If you can't make it that way, you probably didn't stand a chance anyway.

Imagine spending 30k a year, and some random Irene/Karina visual becomes a trainee off of a tiktok and debuts and you don't. :pepe-joy::pepe-cringe::pepe-clown-gear:

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• The Kpop industry as a whole can probably support 50 ish groups. Maybe around 30 BGs and 20 ish GGs can sell enough albums and concert tix, and make enough pocket change via streaming and other ancillary revenue, to be reasonably profitable.

That's maybe 350 idols at any given time.

If you dont belong in one of these top 50 groups, or have a reasonable chance of being in the top 50, maybe Kpop just isnt the right path for you.

• Well tbh i'm not shocked or anything i even find this quite normal

This type of school already exist and they were always incompatible with following a normal school so there's nothing shocking to me that a idol school following this same method is created

Let’s imagine it’s another label like Hybe or YGE who did this and not SME. I bet you gonna be shocked..

• 90% of the kids who go here will have their futures/lives robbed . It's literally just a hagwon, a glamorized afterschool tutorial business posing as a legitimate school. We all heard about the vast majority of former idols/trainees struggling to make a living because they don't have any other skill or knowledge besides dancing and a bit of singing.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!