Chinese fans always contributed the most money yet the most disrespected. How do you feel?

• Newjeans Chinese fans bought half the amount of albums yet Hybe told Danielle to delete Chinese New Year. Not to mention other cases like Ningning discrimination. Do you feel bad for Chinese fans?

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Newjeans Chinese fans bought half the amount of albums yet Hybe told Danielle to delete Chinese New Year. Not to mention other cases like Ningning discrimination. Do you feel bad for Chinese fans?

I expected the Vietnamese to attack Hanni by saying that she is a traitor as Hanni said that it is the year of bunny and not the year of the cat on the video of the Korean Lunar New Year greetings as it is the year of the bunny for the Korean Lunar New Year of 2023 and the Chinese Lunar New Year of 2023 but the year of the cat for the Vietnamese Lunar New Year of 2023 but I didn't expect the Chinese fans to attack Hanni for simply saying happy lunar new year without mentioning mentioning the word "Chinese" as the Chinese said that Hanni is stealing the Lunar New Year from the Chinese for the Vietnamese.

Happy Seollal! | NewJeans(뉴진스)가 전하는 2023 설날 인사

External Content www.youtube.com

• I expected the Vietnamese to attack Hanni by saying that she is a traitor as Hanni said that it is the year of bunny and not the year of the cat on the video of the Korean Lunar New Year greetings as it is the year of the bunny for the Korean Lunar New Year of 2023 and the Chinese Lunar New Year of 2023 but the year of the cat for the Vietnamese Lunar New Year of 2023 but I didn't expect the Chinese fans to attack Hanni for simply saying happy lunar new year without mentioning mentioning the word "Chinese" as the Chinese said that Hanni is stealing the Lunar New Year from the Chinese for the Vietnamese.

Happy Seollal! | NewJeans(뉴진스)가 전하는 2023 설날 인사

External Content www.youtube.com

WAIT

THERE IS A YEAR OF THE CAT

:teddy-pepe:

• Mixed-race female idol's phrase "Chinese New Year" was actually popular, Korean netizens scolded: no common sense

Lin Kunwei
    Saturday, January 21, 2023 4:36 am

20230121112731-1d701f44.jpg

NewJeans' Danielle (pictured right) is as beautiful as a doll. (Picture / Recap from NewJeans IG)

Today (21) is the New Year’s Eve of the 2023 Chinese New Year. South Korea has the same Chinese New Year custom as Taiwan. Many Korean stars will naturally pay New Year’s greetings to fans. However, some idols have caused controversy because of the word "New Year". Going to (2022) In the girl group NewJeans, which became popular when they debuted, Danielle, an Australian mixed-race member, greeted fans with "Chinese new year" in English, which made Korean netizens angry.

20230121112757-a3b06543.jpeg

Danielle's message to fans (pictured above) uses Chinese New Year, while Hanni's is Lunar New Year. (Picture / Recap from theqoo)

Danielle, a member of NewJeans, is of Korean and Australian mixed race. She looks like a doll in an exotic style, and she has a beautiful singing voice. She is very popular in the group. However, she mentioned in English in a text message to fans, "You bunnies (fan name ) What are you going to do for the New Year?" Here she used "Chinese new year" (Chinese New Year) for "New Year", which caused dissatisfaction among Korean netizens; Hanni, another Vietnamese-Australian mixed-race member, also sent a message to greet fans, mentioning that when New Year , use "Lunar new year" (Lunar New Year).

20230121112753-a651528f.jpeg

Danielle's message to greet fans turned into trouble for herself. (Picture / Recap from NewJeans IG)

In recent years, Korean people believe that the Lunar New Year is not a unique culture in the Chinese-speaking circle. South Korea, Vietnam, Indonesia, and the Philippines also celebrate the Lunar New Year. Therefore, many areas in the Eastern Circle use Lunar New Year to replace Chinese New Year. Over the past few years, many disputes have erupted between South Korea and China over the "ownership" of traditional culture, including Hanfu and Hanbok, Zhang Yuanying's hairpin incident, etc. Danielle's message will naturally be "hot" by Koreans.

20230121112749-388d38ba.jpeg

Hanni is of mixed Vietnamese and Australian descent. (Picture / Recap from NewJeans IG)

This message from Danielle has been deleted, but it is still posted on the forum by netizens for discussion. Some people think that "if NewJeans is not very popular, they will definitely be scolded even worse", "Do you want to be Chinese?", "Before this kind of thing debuted Should the company teach it? It’s basic common sense in Korea, and Koreans are very sensitive to it.” “Don’t think that it’s okay to delete the article.” However, some Korean netizens living in the United States said that Chinese New is often used abroad. Year, I have never seen anyone using Lunar New Year in the local area, and the Chinese New Year originated in China, so Danielle is not wrong, and some people think that the behavior against Danielle is a witch hunt.

20230121113030-d959dd20.jpeg
    WayV's Yang Yang also encountered the sensitive issue of "Chinese New Year". (Picture / Recap from Yangyang IG)

This is not the first time that a similar incident has happened to a Korean star. All of the SUPER JUNIOR junior group "WayV (威神V)" are Chinese, and one of the Taiwanese members "Yang Yang" posted a limited-time post on Instagram in 2021, also using "Happy Chinese New "Year" Happy New Year, this incident also made Korean netizens angry, and asked the company SM Entertainment to take care of it.

Source :

News article from the Taiwanese website TVBS :

混血女偶像一句「中國新年」竟被炎上 韓國網友罵爆:沒常識│TVBS新聞網
    今(21)日是2023年春節除夕,韓國跟台灣一樣有過農曆新年的習俗,許多韓星自然也會向粉絲們拜年,不過有偶像卻因「新年」一詞惹爭議,去(2022)年出道就爆紅的女團NewJeans,其中澳洲混血成員Danielle問候粉絲時,用了英文的「Chinese new year」,讓韓國網友氣炸了。
    news.tvbs.com.tw

The article said that Hanni is a Vietnamese-Australian mixed-race member which is false as Hanni is not a Vietnamese-Australian mixed-race but is ethnically 100% Vietnamese.

The article said that Indonesia and the Philippines also also celebrate the Lunar New Year while the Lunar New Year is only currently celebrated at the same date by the ethnic Chinese, Vietnamese, Koreans and Ruuchuu. Mongols, Bhutanese and Tibetans can have the Lunar Year at the same time than the Chinese, Vietnamese, Koreans and Ruuchuu or one month later.

• NewJeans Danielle Criticized By Korean Netizens for "Chinese New Year" Remarks

Through NewJeans' own communication app Phoning, the members took turns greeting fans for the Lunar New Year celebration. However, Danielle's message became a hot topic among Korean netizens due to her mentioning "Chinese New Year."

1844-image-20230121102553-1-jpeg-jpeg.jpeg?v=c91d1

Although the message was taken down shortly, it still went viral across South Korean platforms. And even if there were many criticisms against NewJeans Danielle, many also defended the rookie idol. They commented:

• OMG!
    • Seriously, I'm just having a mental breakdown right now.
    • They said she deleted it right away. Maybe she didn’t know because they used to write like that overseas. Now they’ll be educated in Korea.
    • Danielle, it's Lunar New Year.
    • I'd like to think she wrote it without knowing.
    • The Lunar New Year belongs to everyone.
    • Oh my, oh my God.
    • It's hard to defend her because Hanni wrote 'Lunar New Year.'
    • She should've just said holidays.
    • Is one of your parents Korean? Didn't you have a lot of holiday experiences when you were young?
    • Wow! It's so weird how Danielle is being defended like this while that guy from Enhypen got crucified.
    • Except for the Chinese, foreigners I know say 'Lunar New Year.'
    • Goodbye
    • Aren't you Korean? You're embarrassing.
    • The amount of people defending her is insane hahahaha
    • Come to your senses, Mo Jihye.
    • Dual-citizen idols keep causing trouble these days.
    • You can't blame her. Even in the US, many people say 'Chinese New Year.'
    • Danielle, you're still young. Please learn from your mistakes.
    • I bet some of you who are defending her are the same people who attacked the Enhypen member.
    • She's still a baby! Please don't swear at her!

Source :

[마플] 뉴진스 다니엘 chinese new year
    It's still a familiar topic with the Danielle via text message Phoning called "Chinese new year" while Hanni texted "Lunar new year".…
    www.instiz.net

Source :

NewJeans Danielle Criticized By Korean Netizens for 'Chinese N...
    Danielle is currently a hot topic in South Korea, and here's why...
    kpopping.com

• NewJeans' Danielle apologizes for calling the 'Lunar New Year' 'Chinese New Year'

On January 21st, the NewJeans member posted an apology on the group's official Instagram account.

Danielle wrote, "Hello, this is NewJeans Danielle. Back on January 19th, I sent a message on Phoning saying 'What r u bunnies doing for Chinese new year?' I realized I made a mistake and deleted it immediately, however, many people already received the message which made it irreversible.

The lunar new year is a national holiday in many countries and regions including our country, so my expression was inappropriate and I deeply regret it. I also apologize to the bunnies who were hurt or disappointed because of this.

I will not forget this and I will try to be more cautious and thoughtful from now on.

I am once again sorry."

NEWS
    Posted by Yaki-Jones 5 minutes ago

NewJeans' Danielle apologizes for calling the 'Lunar New Year' 'Chinese New Year' 1674281723-406838-406620-191.jpg

NewJeans' Danielle apologized for calling the 'Lunar New Year' 'Chinese New Year.'

On January 21st, the NewJeans member posted an apology on the group's official Instagram account.

Danielle wrote, "Hello, this is NewJeans Danielle. Back on January 19th, I sent a message on Phoning saying 'What r u bunnies doing for Chinese new year?' I realized I made a mistake and deleted it immediately, however, many people already received the message which made it irreversible.

The lunar new year is a national holiday in many countries and regions including our country, so my expression was inappropriate and I deeply regret it. I also apologize to the bunnies who were hurt or disappointed because of this.

I will not forget this and I will try to be more cautious and thoughtful from now on.

I am once again sorry."

Meanwhile, the Lunar new year is celebrated in many countries including Korea, Vietnam, and Tibet.

Source :

NewJeans' Danielle apologizes for calling the 'Lunar New Year' 'Chinese New Year'
    NewJeans' Danielle apologized for calling the 'Lunar New Year' 'Chinese New Year.'On January 21st, the NewJeans member posted an apology on the gro…
    www.allkpop.com

• People are so crazy. It's been called Chinese New Year in my country for so many years because it's the biggest celebration for the Chinese community. It's easy to make that mistake cause it's a biggest thing for the Chinese community and the biggest population in the world is in China. Why the fuss? People are si crazy sensitive nowadays that you can't even fart in public.

• we know both countries dislike each other...i remember cnetizen has used jay as anti korea on weibo...this was trending 4 on app..[the reasons he did apologize 2 times)

Now that hybe artists should get careful with their opinions lol...

(i should my girl get hate in china cause starshit spread malicious comments about her on weibo for buzz...)...the thing if she had parents nationalist taiwanese...the cnetizens will trying found negative mediaplay about her...

The thing Danielle is called dumb by knetizens on pann or quoo for that...add she is wasian..

I thought ador has the best management for than the members didn't get problem...

The 2 countries re nationalist tho...

• Anything that is Chinese is disrespected due to the anti Chinese sentiment in the west. It's not cool to be associated with China. Everyone knows that. But they still want Chinese money.

This is very true. Unfortunately there is a huge reason for this and it's not just in the west, even here in Asia its a big deal. Here in Korea and also Japan and a few other Asian countries have serious issues with China including Vietnam in which China stole part of its EEZ and forced Many of their trade vessels out of their own waters.

Anti Chinese sentiment is strong worldwide because of the CCP and it's policies also a decent amount of Chinese people stay brainwashed and become the enemy as well, unfortunately this doesn't change because many of them leave their home and travel the world and even when exposed to the truth they continue to believe that lie.

China has done far too much harm in the world, plundering Africa right now, supporting Russia in Ukraine and other endeavors, constantly maintaining trade and actual wars with Korea and Japan. Supporting and enabling north Korea. China has been our enemy for more than 70yrs and we are technically still at war, china jas fought on the side of north Korea during the Korean war and both nations have never signed a peace treaty, we have been in the longest cease fire in history. China has secret and not so secret police stations overseas to harm and control overseas Chinese people in the chinatowns around the world, and the various Chinese aid and schools abroad are part of it too. In addition to Chinese politicians doing what they can to influence democratic countries to become less free.

I love Chinese people but the government needs to be wiped off the face of this Earth.

I haven't even addressed the amount of horrors they subject their own people to let alone the minor ethnicities there.

• Everyone say they love Chinese people yet they are being disrespected for what their government is which is not even their choice. Do you think China being a demoractic government lile the west will solve the people's problem and an answer. The CCP came into power because the country was weak, poor and disunited. Try putting yourself in the people's shoe.

• I'll remember rival ;-)

Little question : do you speak Cantonese better than Mandarine ?

I don't speak Cantonese actually

I speak English (Singlish LAWL), Mandarin and some Hokkien because it's my dialect.

I do understand some Cantonese but that is from watching a lot of Hong Kong dramas when I was young and I slowly picked up on some Cantonese but I can't speak it fluently

• still not over what "chinese" fans did to Tzuyu.

also isnt kpop still banned in china? and china is basically stealing everythin Koreans do?

china and chinese "fans" has done too much in such a short time to sway any public opinion about them.

for cryin out loud, they cnetizens was outraged korea was making paper last week.

dont trust anything they say at this point

• When kpop want to be a global thing but they can't accept or at least appreciate the other nation's culture...

its obviously the other way around. China wants some global attention but they cant appreciate korean, japanese, US, uhygur, indian.. european, vietnamese, filipino, South american, african , etc cultures and demand everyone to kowtow to their demands cus they have "MONEY".

honestly sick of china.

• its obviously the other way around. China wants some global attention but they cant appreciate korean, japanese, US, uhygur, indian.. european, vietnamese, filipino, South american, african , etc cultures and demand everyone to kowtow to their demands cus they have "MONEY".

honestly sick of china.

Whoa seems like you really hate them aren't you?

Seeing the responses, both of them are roughly the same. The comments from Knetz side are indeed vile. And also like many have said, the event are indeed coming from Chinese..

Danielle using that term doesn't mean she wanted to become a chinese like the commenter said..

But well, once again, who the heck am I to told the Knetz about this. Their country, their rule.

• Me literally stating what the chinese did and me growing weary of their deeds, is not hatred. it's called fatigue, but i obviously can't shake off that bad image china has when they're literally attacking every other country every week.

be it their attack on the americas, taiwan. korea , japan, usa, india, europe, etc. - not militarily but politically and propagandistically.

but once again, any chinese criticism is somehow "sinophobia"?

by that logic i guess u hate anyone and anything u question, fail to understand, you disagree with. look, by ur own definition you're even hating on knets and koreans so why are u on a kpop forum?

• I don't speak Cantonese actually

I speak English (Singlish LAWL), Mandarin and some Hokkien because it's my dialect.

I do understand some Cantonese but that is from watching a lot of Hong Kong dramas when I was young and I slowly picked up on some Cantonese but I can't speak it fluently

Interesting thank you for giving me the information. ;-)

Do you hear the word "haiyaaaaa" on every street? :melon_think:

• Lol! China has money now but they are declining. You may get your wish soon. All the other countries attacking them now are obviously working.

• you can't win with nationalists on any side

best to ignore them. Normal people won't care about little mistakes like that, antis will use anything as ammunition without caring about the actual subject, so that's just how online witchhunts work.

• well, you are stating other topics and you bring your personal bias by seeing the Chinese as the Big Bad Evil.

That's why I'm asking, and thankfully you answered it. I appreciate that.

And I don't deny those things that you said about the Chinese's bad deeds.

Also I don't have a strong bias for both of them, and so I see them as roughly the same in this case/topic.

That's why in the end, I gave up and saying that "their country, their rule"

• Lol! China has money now but they are declining. You may get your wish soon. All the other countries attacking them now are obviously working.

no offense but who's attacking China? meanwhile the CCP is actively going after other countries, their land, resources, culture, etc. I don't agree with hate towards the Chinese, beautiful country, lovely people there, but this downplaying of their government ain't it. China is a superpower and an authoritarian dictatorship allied with other regimes who are actively murdering their own citizens and/or invading other countries, not some mistreated underdog in the global scheme.

• NewJeans used "Chinese new year" to annoy Korean netizens. Isn't your mother Korean?"

2023-01-21 15:00udn STYLE Clee

20039569.png&x=0&y=0&sw=0&sh=0&sl=W&fw=750

The new Korean girl group NewJeans debuted less than a year ago and has already dominated the charts with songs such as "ATTENTION" and "HYPE BOY" and has become a hot trending girl group. However, recently, they have sparked discussions on Korean forums because of their New Year's greetings. Netizens bluntly said: "If you want to be an idol in Korea, please read some books!"

The Lunar New Year is not only a Chinese custom. There is also a Chinese New Year tradition in South Korea, but the content of the custom is slightly different, and the holiday is a little shorter than that of Taiwan. To celebrate the festival, members of NewJeans left congratulatory messages on the exclusive app "Phoning". Among them, Danielle used "Chinese new year" and Hanni used "Lunar new year".

Afterwards, the staff suspected that there was a problem, and Danielle quickly retracted the message.

These two different terms for the Lunar New Year sparked a heated discussion among netizens on the Korean forum the qoo. Korean netizens believe that Korean New Year is not equal to Chinese New Year. Since she is an idol who debuted in Korea, she should understand the local culture, not to mention Danielle. It is strange for Korean-Australian mixed-race children of Chinese origin to use "Chinese New Year".

Some people also mentioned in the comments that even if they do not have Korean ancestry, most foreigners use Lunar New Year like Hanni, and asked Danielle: "You are not Chinese or Chinese, why do you use it like this", "Is your mother not Korean?"

20039570.jpg&x=0&y=0&sw=0&sh=0&sl=W&fw=750

At the same time, netizens noticed that in recent years, Europe and the United States have gradually changed Merry Christmas to Happy holidays in order to downplay religious overtones and emphasize multicultural tolerance. Now that the relationship between Chinese and Korean netizens is tense, netizens are dissatisfied that the staff did not fulfill their responsibility to remind.

However, there are also voices that help to ease the cheeks and point out that "Chinese New Year" may be often used. Danielle, who is only 17 years old, did not realize that this may cause sensitive discussions, and later retracted the message. There is no need to over-magnify the meaning behind it.

Earlier, Danielle made a public apology for mentioning "What r u bunnies doing for Chinese new year?" in Phoning. The article mentioned that although it was deleted immediately after realizing the mistake, the message has been sent out and cannot be retrieved. "Spring Festival is The festivals in many countries and regions, including South Korea, are inappropriate, and I will deeply reflect on this." At the same time, she also apologized to the fans and the public who were disappointed by the mistake, and will remember the lesson and be more careful in the future.

Source :

NewJeans賀年用「Chinese new year」惹火韓國網友 嗆多讀書:妳媽不是韓國人嗎? | udnSTYLE
    韓國新人女團NewJeans出道未滿一年已經靠著〈ATTENTION〉、〈HYPE BOY〉等歌曲強是攻佔榜單,成為炙手可熱的大勢女團,不過近日卻因為新年祝賀詞在韓國論壇上掀起議論,網友直言:「要在韓國當偶像,拜託讀點書吧!」
    style.udn.com

oh that's not my wish at all.

i dont think that's ANYONE's wish - which is why most countries are reluctant to piss them off. none of us wants war - we liked that china was prospering.. when we thought they were peaceful.

We just forgot that they were "communists" and had different ideologies and values with rest of the developed countries.

I was an AVID defender of china till i did some actual research on the matter - like their rewriting of history, how the ccp's perspective on world history differs from .. literally the rest of the world - their bullying of other asian countries - esp korea, japan and taiwan etc. and i WISH i stayed ignorant.

for the longest time i literally thought we hated them cus they manufactured our goods in subpar quality - totally oblivious to what they were doing in the region. but being on kpop forums and actually witnessing ccp defenders really opened my eyes.

we need to be MORE critical of the CCP. the chinese netizens are more or less being brainwashed by the enviroment and i have no real hatred for any of them.. EXCEPT that there is a REAL disconnect about how they view the world and how the rest of the world view the world. And online there is a massive propaganda war btwn the rest of the world .. and russian/china.

Korea is interesting because you can actually see some of these battles - the US influence vs the Chinese influence. even on kpop forums like this.

but again, nobody wants war. we just wish everyone was on the same page so we could communicate better .. but it's kinda hard when ccp defenders try to brush off any criticism as sinophobia- cus that just throws out all reason and ends all communication. genocide of uhygurs? sinophobia! we disagree that kimchi came from korea and not china? sinophobia! i dont trust chinese sales numbers cus piracy is rampant in that country? sinophobia! disagree that taiwan is chinese land? sinophobia!.

the issue is their education and what theyr'e exposed to is vastly different from the rest of the world. such as taiwan : they are "educated" to think taiwan is part of china since very young and it just becomes a 'fact" to them. anyone who contests this idea is "uneducated" or "dont know what they're talking about' so they dismiss any attempt to have any real discussion. This is the same approach they have with just about every disagreement they have with the rest of the world.

which is also one of the main reasons why china cant get along with the rest of the world - and have these petty "protests"

anyways. i can go on and on. i've had many battles with ccp defenders to kno how they operate, but we need a world where we can all get along. esp now.

• no offense but who's attacking China? meanwhile the CCP is actively going after other countries, their land, resources, culture, etc. I don't agree with hate towards the Chinese, beautiful country, lovely people there, but this downplaying of their government ain't it. China is a superpower and an authoritarian dictatorship allied with other regimes who are actively murdering their own citizens and/or invading other countries, not some mistreated underdog in the global scheme.

cutting off their semiconductor access is not attacking them, shutting down Confucius schools in UK is not an anti sentiment, every election in the west is base on promises that they will be they will take a tough stand on China, putting trade sanctions on them and encouraging anti sentiments. Every western media has nothing good to say about China. China is not the only country going after land, resources . As for culture, I don’t see their influence in culture in other countries. Why so scare? Everyone out there has nothing good to say about China anymore. It’s people are just puppets and an extension on the Big Evil. It’s so sad cause the Chinese people has such rich history, culture and tradition. They do welcome foreigners who live in China and treat them as family. Their history is steep with wisdom from their ancestors. But all this Is lost in the big evil sentiment. While I don’t agree with their governments actions but I don’t live in China. I am not going to criticize the any government for the way of doing things in a country when I don’t live there. As for their international policies, I feel that it is unfair to punish a whole nation for what the people have no say.

• oh and you dont think u're bringing personal bias with ur statement about knetz?

or the person who literally started this thread?

and YES. ty, pple are pple. cnetizents, knetizents, usanetizens..- so if anything shouldnt you be telling this to the OP? no?

instead of "agreeing" with him with your :

"When kpop want to be a global thing but they can't accept or at least appreciate the other nation's culture..." ?

i mean that's why my comment's there. tellin him the other side, and answering why china doesnt get any respect.

• China is not stupid. They know the consequences if they start a war. They have stated their trigger line. Just don’t push it.

• This thread contains 33 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!