Why were YouTube achievements so important but then suddenly it didn't mean anything?

• I remember that for many many years Youtube views were like the holy grail of kpop group achievements. And that's despite many people being aware that the view count was plagued by bots and ads. However, the narrative suddenly changed that Youtube views didn't matter at all. My guess is that there was a lot of denial about ads until there was a breaking point were fandoms couldn't deny it, so they all gave up on it.

• godkingteshub

Changed the title of the thread from “Why were YouTube achievement so important but then suddenly it didn't mean anything?” to “Why were YouTube achievements so important but then suddenly it didn't mean anything?”.
  • I remember that for many many years Youtube views were like the holy grail of kpop group achievements. And that's despite many people being aware that the view count was plagued by bots and ads. However, the narrative suddenly changed that Youtube views didn't matter at all. My guess is that there was a lot of denial about ads until there was a breaking point were fandoms couldn't deny it, so they all gave up on it.

Because of three things:

1) YT views for a 3min video don't pay that much, think hundreds instead of thousands of dollars

2) You can buy a whole ad of 3min to play your video which adds to the views

3) YT still has no idea how to market itself, and they have Google as a parent company

• YouTube didn't mean anything to me even when Dynamite broke all records. I've held that stance since 2018 and it hasn't changed. It used to be a big deal during the second gen because it was an area kpop acts never excelled at before. Esp with their western peers. But now that kpop excels at it and YouTube changed its algorithm, people are moving over to Spotify now and the cycle will repeat itself until some new area kpop doesn't excel at props up.

• Western fans are the ones forcing this by not listening to music on youtube. Everyone is now rich so they want to pay for streaming services. Billboard charts also implemented a rule in 2018 that paid streams weigh more than free. The change just happened like that over the years for kpop with fans urging fellow fans to use these services.

• It only matters when my faves get high views.

Is a shit metric when your faves get high views.

• Because of three things:

1) YT views for a 3min video don't pay that much, think hundreds instead of thousands of dollars

2) You can buy a whole ad of 3min to play your video which adds to the views

3) YT still has no idea how to market itself, and they have Google as a parent company

As someone who used YT everyday to watch my fave yt's/ listen to music ( i dont use YT music, i just use basic yt lmao)

I think if you look at something from a gaming perspective 20 millions views is crucial and shos how big of a following someone has, when it comes to kpop, 20 Million views is low down on the popularity scale ( like your in the middle of popularity and nugu) as compared to over 100M views is something people will notice

Views on YT vids depend on the target audience

your right though, Yt sucks at marketing themselves :boredr:

• As someone who used YT everyday to watch my fave yt's/ listen to music ( i dont use YT music, i just use basic yt lmao)

I think if you look at something from a gaming perspective 20 millions views is crucial and shos how big of a following someone has, when it comes to kpop, 20 Million views is low down on the popularity scale ( like your in the middle of popularity and nugu) as compared to over 100M views is something people will notice

Views on YT vids depend on the target audience

your right though, Yt sucks at marketing themselves :boredr:

compare it to streamers as well. 20 mil views is a big achievement for a streamer on YT.

But for music it's different because it's also available everywhere else.

• I think it is just first 100M views are not impressive, because half of them are ads, but I think songs like Itzy Wannabe with almost 500M views is extremely impressive

• yeah. lets blame blinks. they ruined it for all the others. :pepe-narrow-eyes:

please blinks streams other groups like my faves. so we get more diversity and youtube views will be an important meassure again.

I have tried :drinktears:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Ads basically neutered the significance of views. It's not really impressive if a good few 10s of millions of views are ads which in turn inflate actual views.

Unlike with mass streaming the actual companies can buy their own ads and are incentivised too because they earn money back from total views.

• Ads. To give you one example. In the first 8 days last itzy comeback, chesire, had 15.9m organic views and the view count showed over 40m. Over 24m were ads. Bragging about views when they are heavily inflated is stupid. Unless you are bts and bp but both armys and blinks have moved on to other paying platforms

• Ads. To give you one example. In the first 8 days last itzy comeback, chesire, had 15.9m organic views and the view count showed over 40m. Over 24m were ads. Bragging about views when they are heavily inflated is stupid. Unless you are bts and bp but both armys and blinks have moved on to other paying platforms

Youtube chart show it pretty well how many views groups actually got

aoT5WjW.png

• Ads basically neutered the significance of views. It's not really impressive if a good few 10s of millions of views are ads which in turn inflate actual views.

Unlike with mass streaming the actual companies can buy their own ads and are incentivised too because they earn money back from total views.

This.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• fans of groups that can´t achieve big numbers are the one pushing the "youtube views don´t count anymore"

but we know the truth

Game of Thrones': Daenerys's Mean Girl Smile is Way More Than a Twitter Meme  | Decider

youtube views are still important

cos there is so much youtube adds a company can buy...if you have more than 200 M, you made at least 150 M with real views.

did blackpink release a new album today?'s tweet - "#LALISA ACAB, aquí solo  respetamos a la POLISA " - TrendsmapID BI****S

OT4 BLINKS OR JAIL

• yeah. lets blame blinks. they ruined it for all the others. :pepe-narrow-eyes:

please blinks streams other groups like my faves. so we get more diversity and youtube views will be an important meassure again.

i truly don´t think is all blinks work

BP happends to have a lot of casual viewers too, and that adds lots of views.

did blackpink release a new album today?'s tweet - "#LALISA ACAB, aquí solo  respetamos a la POLISA " - TrendsmapID BI****S

OT4 BLINKS OR JAIL

• Bc nobody except BP and BTS are bringing big numbers so "irrelevant".

I still think is important, not the most obviously, but to BP where the views are "OrGaNiC" etc it's a good metric.

music shows use them so they are

its not bp or bts fault no group has their reach :pepe-shrug:

also like somoene post above, yt chart show when groups use ads so they can "fake until u mke it" unlike other platfroms

• Youtube records have always been bottom of the barrel

Like, BTS has many youtube records but they were never their their most impressive achievements. I mean, its already impressive that they got "clean" youtube records when all the other record-holders were exposed by cheating and buying views...

However, even if it is impressive that BTS never used cheap antics, there are still more relevant achievements out there for them

⟭⟬ ARTIST OF THE YEAR ⟭⟬

AWARDS-AMERICAN-MUSIC--97_1637613102609_1637613116956.JPG

• This thread contains 8 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!