Do you care if idols sing live at award shows?

• I saw this tweet that had the production notes for MMA. Apparently, most of the acts lipsynced to AR. A few dang live with backtrack, including Monsta X and Enhyphen.

Honestly, I understand not singing live, especially when the choreo is intense, but I wish more would at least attempt parts live even if they use backtrack too.

What do you think?

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I dont watch award shows but they only sing a couple of songs there

if they are there to be honored as the greatest, might as well make an effort

good for En- and monstax

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Before I discovered K Pop I thought lip syncing should be a sin punishable by death. After a lot of kpop I get it. Kpop can have a really intense choreo. Its a hard decision and it depends on the group. Groups like itzy, LE SERRAFIM, etc that do really hard choreo I can give a free pass to. Can depend on the song though. On the other hand I think in industry has started to get lazy. I also think it's fans fault too, that groups are doing so much lip syncing. To many people out their looking for the slightest mistake and then making their life's work to make sure everyone knows about it.

• it is a logical consequence of the lack of demand from the fans, they are more concerned about the outfit of the idols and the quality of the MV and the number of followers on instagram than on the performances and the real capacities of the idols. The few people in the industry who still try to do interesting things are always ignored and not rewarded.

Companies just follow the keys to success to make their group popular.

People want shit, then savor it.

• Back in the day most of the big perfs of awards night were mostly/fully live. Lip sync was a big no no.

Now 90% of Kpop is lip synced to some degree so I guess that's become the standard. It shouldn't be a surprise majority lip sync, can't be disappointed if you already know it's not live.

• Before I discovered K Pop I thought lip syncing should be a sin punishable by death. After a lot of kpop I get it. Kpop can have a really intense choreo. Its a hard decision and it depends on the group. Groups like itzy, LE SERRAFIM, etc that do really hard choreo I can give a free pass to. Can depend on the song though. On the other hand I think in industry has started to get lazy. I also think it's fans fault too, that groups are doing so much lip syncing. To many people out their looking for the slightest mistake and then making their life's work to make sure everyone knows about it.

Yeah, i think fan expectations have a lot to do with it. It isn't just that they expect perfection (which is awful in and of itself) but that fans increasingly expect idols to deliver great dancing while being top tier visuals. I'm sorry, idols who have all those qualities on top of the vocal chops to song great live aren't common. It's easier to hide bad vocals than bad dancing and looks so more we have tons of lipsync

• it is a logical consequence of the lack of demand from the fans, they are more concerned about the outfit of the idols and the quality of the MV and the number of followers on instagram than on the performances and the real capacities of the idols. The few people in the industry who still try to do interesting things are always ignored and not rewarded.

Companies just follow the keys to success to make their group popular.

People want shit, then savor it.

Well put!

• Something I've also realized that makes kpop different it's not just about 1 part of the show. It's about the entire performance. I.E. ITZY may not have the greatest vocals, but when you put vocals, dance, performance, song choice, etc. They put on an amazing show!

• Something I've also realized that makes kpop different it's not just about 1 part of the show. It's about the entire performance. I.E. ITZY may not have the greatest vocals, but when you put vocals, dance, performance, song choice, etc. They put on an amazing show!

True, kpop is very performance oriented and different groups will use different strengths to deliver.

• No, it's not as big of a deal as some people make it out to be. I think that lip sync is acceptable, especially when performing difficult choreography. I feel like being able to sing stable while doing all that movement is difficult enough, you'll find that you can run out of breath quickly if you do it yourself. And extra props to those idols who can sing high notes, stable while doing difficult choreography (I'm looking at you, Park Jihyo)

ღ Happy Birthday / 10.18.2005 ღ

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• I don't watch award shows but yes I do expect groups to sing live otherwise they're cheating their audience in my opinion. I'd much rather hear a song with live singing and a few dud notes than a polished lip sync version.

• Also I find this excuse that difficult choreography means lip sync is allowable to be weird reasoning. If the choreography prevents a group from being a able to at least attempt to sing live then either clearly the choreography is too difficult for them in the first place or they’re not talented enough to sing and dance at the same time. Many groups in the past have had hard routines and still sang live.

• Also I find this excuse that difficult choreography means lip sync is allowable to be weird reasoning. If the choreography prevents a group from being a able to at least attempt to sing live then either clearly the choreography is too difficult for them in the first place or they’re not talented enough to sing and dance at the same time. Many groups in the past have had hard routines and still sang live.

I think it was more common in the past to have whoever is singing do modified choreo or even stop dancing completely in order to sing their part. Now, it seems like all the members dance full out through most of not all of the song. I wish they would go back to the modifications coz I prefer live singing

• Good lipsyncing and giving a charismatic performance without actually singing is a definite skill not all idols have for sure

Very true I know that Ateez prides themselves on live singing but if the situation doesn't allow it they put on a damn good performance and you can't even tell. if the performance has my attention and i'm focused on that it doesn't matter if they are singing live or not lol

• Well even if i try to enjoy lipsynced performance, they always not enjoyable to me because it just gives robotic and fake feel. I prefer a performance where I can watch the artist express themselves , not to see them show off their talents.

• No actually, but if the fans all out about how their faves has the greatest and nicest vocals in kpop and drag other groups because of it, yet their idols rarely or never sing live, then yup I care.

• It doesn’t bother me any more than it bothers me in Western pop, where many groups and artists with intense choreography have usually lip synced a time or two for awards shows, etc.

A great performance is a great performance. And the fact that people still are often unclear on what is lipsynced, live ar or live (people will present something not live as live or assume something that is live isn’t because “it’s too perfect”) shows me that it’s not as much of an issue as people make it out to be if it’s not even obvious all the time.

I also think post production often does a disservice to these artists. For example, in the Killing Voice, they are singing live with in-ears so the vocals captured on set are pure and don’t have any background music. The producers lay in the instrumentals in post, but that addition of the perfect instrumental can contribute to the idea that people aren’t actually singing live on the show

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• I don't personally care but lipsynched performances never go lengendary so its a choice I don't think its very productive, its a chance to take advantage of visibility + crowd + outfits + scenario

• Honestly I don't care. Lip sync and track augmentation is very common for award shows here because it's often easier for the sound team. Most award show performances about the spectacle. Like this Janet Jackson performance was lip synced (she doesn't even have a mic), but literally no one cared because the performance was about the dance.

The only reason the western music industry pretends they don't lip sync at all is because of Milli Vanilli which was a group that lip synced everything. The voices who sang the music did not belong to the guys in the group. Their entire career was fake and they received many awards and accolades during their career. And then the backtrack skipped while they were performing at a concert and it triggered a whole scandal into their career.

So lip sync is a dirty word here, but it still happens all over the place. People just pretend it doesn't.

• IMO they should always sing live because being in a group means that you aren’t even singing the whole song but have breaks in between your lines. Practice also makes it easier and there is nothing better than live singing experience. Kpop fans just need to learn to not be so unjustifiably judgmental. I don’t mind a voice crack or even sounding like a hyena as long as it is live so that I know you are trying. Being perfect is for the studio/MV not for live performances. I prefer artists that strive to be better and not just faking being perfect. Kpop fans like to talk shit about western stars but some actually do hard choreography and sing live and they do a great job at it. That’s what makes a great performer vs an average one.

• The only place I feel strongly about it is paid concerts. If your fans have paid money to see you perform, you should perform live.

Award shows where the audience is mostly industry peeps? Eh, can't be bothered to care either way.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• I think it was more common in the past to have whoever is singing do modified choreo or even stop dancing completely in order to sing their part. Now, it seems like all the members dance full out through most of not all of the song. I wish they would go back to the modifications coz I prefer live singing

I think lip syncing is why dances are more full out. If there's no need to sing live then they could do flying spinning heel kicks and it wouldn't make any difference to signing ability.

But like I said it could also be due to lack of talent to balance dance and signing. SNSD were mostly 17 year olds when they did ITNW with live vocals and intense choreography. Many many ggs young and old have covered it since and none of them have really come close to SNSD level.

• This thread contains 7 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!