BTS losing K-O-R-E-A to IU might have been the cause of their fall

• Sweetnerstan

'BTS is the most consumed K-pop artist in the world, but it turns out that IU even surpassed BTS to be the most popular artist in Korea.'

I'm shocked you didn't write a history lesson about Koreans choosing domestic singer this year lol

===

In his bitter imprisonment at St Helena, which is so remote that it only got an airport just a couple of years ago (United Kingdom still retains it, in case it needs to house another French Emperor) he said 20,000 troops had been dispatched to quell a rebellion in Vendee, which, even now, is the most uberreactionary region of France (long story which I will skip today) and with then he would have won Waterloo.

Let's face it. Although some Armies still retain the notion that after its return BTS will be stronger than ever, its heyday is over.

Future historians of BTS will probably cite that the loss of Korea to IU in 2021 was probably the reason BTS's downfall began.

Various surveys, and most decisively

probably sealed BTS' fate.

I am preparing a longish essay upon whether K-O-R-E-A deserved BTS, but that will wait.

By end of 2020 BTS conquered the world, and Mr. YG refrained from promoting BlackPink again, a topic I will revisit in one of these days.

As a result, the position of BTS' chief rival felt to a 1,342 years old singer who was a 14 year veteran of the industry.

Unfortunately for the future of KPop, she at that time owned her own company, and answered to no one.

She could come back anytime she felt like, and she did an unprecedented 4 comebacks in the year.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is the in-depth analysis of the KPop Global Map which I posted yesterday , and while the fonts are too tiny, on the left side ('대한민국'means Korea) the fact that IU is #1, BTS #2, aespa #3, etc can be discerned easily.

In other words , BTS lost K-O-R-E-A to IU in 2021-22.

At that point Bang was indecisive. He should have decided whether BTS would come in full force to crush IU, or BTS would abandon K-O-R-E-A and dump IU into a league of her own, but Bang made no decision.

That proved to be quite decisive for BTS' future.

The K-O-R-E-A-N-S saw BTS' domination gone. So the incels suddenly found an argument to bring BTS down; BTS is not even dominant in K-O-R-E-A so it is not dominant in the world. It didn't matter for the K-O-R-E-A-N-S that BTS went to the United Nations an the White House while IU would NEVER be invited there in a thousand lifetimes.

The then-owner of Edam Entertainment was ultimately successful felling the Greatest Act of human history and made Korea back to her realm again, with all these newer acts paying her filial duty one way or another.

Once IU won Korea back from BTS, a 'war of liberation' began around the world and now Taylor Swift has reconquered USA, and so on. Yet IU has not been thanked by all these world's pop greats for her efforts, which I think is kinda unfair since no one did as much as the former owner of Edam to end the BTS domination.

• WhyKnock

Changed the title of the thread from “BTS losing K-O-R-E-A to IU might have been cause of their fall” to “BTS losing K-O-R-E-A to IU might have been the cause of their fall”.
  • I think you're forgetting about Next Level. I think that was the song that might have sent BTS on the road to hiatus and ended practically all 3rd gen groups as well. Think about what happened after Next Level released on May 17 last year and eventually defeated Butter.

All of BTS's subsequent songs like PTD, MU and YTC did progressively worse in Korea.

Twice came out with Scientist and TTT, two of their worst charting songs ever.

OMG flopped with Real Love after killing it with Dun Dun Dance which released only a week before Next Level.

Where Are We Now and Mumumumuch by Mamamoo barely charted.

Gfriend disbanded literally five days afterward.

Only RV and BP came out with successful songs but both were overshadowed and ended by even more popular 4th gen songs like Tomboy, Hybe Boy, Love Dive, and Afterlike.

Izone was the Hoover Dam that held back the fury and might of the 4th generation of Kpop. Once Izone was sacrificed to the Kpop gods and disbanded, the floodgates opened for 4th gen and Next Level was the first tidal wave that smashed the 3rd gen defenses. Ive hit next with Eleven, then Stayc with Run2U, then Idle with Tomboy, then Ive with Love Dive and the rout was on.

The third generation was left in ruins, its leaders battered and bruised, some gone for good (Gfriend and Mamamoo), some banished to foreign lands (Twice, BP), some scattered and separated (BTS).

Soon we'll see Red Velvet making their Last Stand as well with their upcoming comeback.

• I think that was the song that might have sent BTS on the road to hiatus and ended practically all 3rd gen groups as well.

Next Level ending BTS and Gen 3 is one of the wildest narratives you've ever come up with. You forget that Butter and PTD were both certified in Korea.

And you can use your same argument against aespa too. Savage, Dreams Come True, Girls, and Illusion all did meh (DCT, Illusion, Girls) or good (Savage) on the charts; but none came close to Next Level.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Next Level ending BTS and Gen 3 is one of the wildest narratives you've ever come up with. You forget that Butter and PTD were both certified in Korea.

And you can use your same argument against aespa too. Savage, Dreams Come True, Girls, and Illusion all did meh (DCT, Illusion, Girls) or good (Savage) on the charts; but none came close to Next Level.

All i'm saying is that when BTS was at their strongest (coming off Dynamite with the most hype they ever had), some would even say their peak although i still think BWL was their Korean peak... it was a rookie GG song that ended up upstaging Butter.

I think this sent shockwaves that have reverberated to this day. I think historians will look back and point out this moment as the definitive "changing of the guard", the end of an era and the beginning of the next one.

• I think this sent shockwaves that have reverberated to this day. I think historians will look back and point out this moment as the definitive "changing of the guard", the end of an era and the beginning of the next one.

I would argue that Blackpink's comeback being boxed out by the IVE comeback and NewJeans debut fits that theme better, because Butter went on to sweep at awards season anyway, where as the 4th gen ggs might actually dominate awards, including SOTY

• In 2021, IU was consumed more in Korea due to her album release while BTS only released 2 songs and 1 collab. So, 2022 is more like it. Then, BTS went different ways this year with their anthology album, hiatus & enlistment news. The more interesting question is if they can end IU's 'dominance' this year with a normal album release or will remain number 2.

And while the two acts have been exchanging their position in K-O-R-E-A since 2019, there's a trot-man named LYW who has a bigger and powerful troops that can end everyone including the 4th gen groups who's still paying their filial duty to the 1,342 yrs old singer.

In conclusion, despite the K-O-R-E-A-N incels throwing BTS under the bus (military is more like it) —it's still early to say that BTS is doomed. End of an era is more fitting, but as a biased fan and someone who believes in BTS they will re-claim K-O-R-E-A once they comeback with a new album, and they will play in stadiums all over the world.

• NL is an adaptation of a soundtrack for an American movie, and SM failed to follow through this route. Plus it never really tried to fight BTS, because of the SM execs.

4G has not carved up a significant niche for themselves yet. what matters is the foreign reaches. However, because IU had taken over Korea, it did create a lot of shock to the rest of the world

• In 2021, IU was consumed more in Korea due to her album release while BTS only released 2 songs and 1 collab. So, 2022 is more like it. Then, BTS went different ways this year with their anthology album, hiatus & enlistment news. The more interesting question is if they can end IU's 'dominance' this year with a normal album release or will remain number 2.

And while the two acts have been exchanging their position in K-O-R-E-A since 2019, there's a trot-man named LYW who has a bigger and powerful troops that can end everyone including the 4th gen groups who's still paying their filial duty to the 1,342 yrs old singer.

In conclusion, despite the K-O-R-E-A-N incels throwing BTS under the bus (military is more like it) —it's still early to say that BTS is doomed. End of an era is more fitting, but as a biased fan and someone who believes in BTS they will re-claim K-O-R-E-A once they comeback with a new album, and they will play in stadiums all over the world.

It is not too early to say that BTS' heyday has passed. It will never really cause a big stir around the world. Whether it reclaims K-O-R-E-A is no longer important since the 4th Gen has clearly dominated that country by now.

It will still take a cherished placed among the existing Armys, but newer gens will follow newer acts and by 2025 the ethos which propelled BTS to the top of the world is going to be gone.

Loss of Korea to IU proved to be decisive. (LYW, knowing his place, never tried to fight KPop and the one time he ventured , the people at Music Bank politely told him not to f*ck with KPop.)

• WhyKnock

Yet another KoreaPhobic rant, but missed 2 other surveys.

IU again is only second to YJS in the celebrity survey of SK. 2020 was the only year, BTS overtook her.

IU is also the most favoured by elementary and middle schoolers in SK, to be friendly with

BTS is the 3rd.

IU is so vanilla.

Actually Vanilla is the most consumed ice cream flavour in the world, so it is BTS that is vanilla.

IU would be Melona, Melon flavour very popular in SK, but not much elsewhere.

In 2021, IU was consumed more in Korea due to her album release while BTS only released 2 songs and 1 collab

Yet in 2022,BTS releasing more new songs and an anthology, IU has more digital points on Circle, than BTS.

It is a key to superstardom, that even with no recent releases, they continue to be a huge presence, IMO, both are so, but IU has been so for much longer.

The ascendancy of BTS did not dent her supremacy in SK has been well proven. The only time they went head to head was in 2017, and she did better in peaks, though DNA has better longevity.

• Who?! I thought they were the perfect couple! :eyes:

lol, they got a strange relationship. She had a relationship with her son’s friend when they were either separated or in an open relationship. She denied it at first but eventually they had some kind of a discussion about it in front of the camera for her show. The red table I think it’s callled. It was entertaining because of how weird it was.

• It is not too early to say that BTS' heyday has passed. It will never really cause a big stir around the world. Whether it reclaims K-O-R-E-A is no longer important since the 4th Gen has clearly dominated that country by now.

It will still take a cherished placed among the existing Armys, but newer gens will follow newer acts and by 2025 the ethos which propelled BTS to the top of the world is going to be gone.

Loss of Korea to IU proved to be decisive. (LYW, knowing his place, never tried to fight KPop and the one time he ventured , the people at Music Bank politely told him not to f*ck with KPop.)

lol at the LYW comment.

Dude is the biggest fraud in Korean music. Never gets above 200k ULs, lives and dies by one demographic that zombie streams worse than most BG fans. Hilarious watching him get pissy because of KBS/Hybe "rigging" when it was clear as day that Lesserafim had more ULs, Fearless pretty much ended all LYW's songs when it comes to UL peaks and Antifragile completely destroyed him.

LYW is a non factor in general public listening habits in Korea. 4th gen GGs are trouncing him, everyone knows Tomboy and Love Dive, nobody knows his songs except my Korean aunties lol.

• lol, they got a strange relationship. She had a relationship with her son’s friend when they were either separated or in an open relationship. She denied it at first but eventually they had some kind of a discussion about it in front of the camera for her show. The red table I think it’s callled. It was entertaining because of how weird it was.

That's not even the most strange.. but that she is still besotted with the long dead Tupac and worse the daughter also thinks more of Tupac, than Will.

Weird is an understatement.

• lol at the LYW comment.

Dude is the biggest fraud in Korean music. Never gets above 200k ULs, lives and dies by one demographic that zombie streams worse than most BG fans. Hilarious watching him get pissy because of KBS/Hybe "rigging" when it was clear as day that Lesserafim had more ULs, Fearless pretty much ended all LYW's songs when it comes to UL peaks and Antifragile completely destroyed him.

LYW is a non factor in general public listening habits in Korea. 4th gen GGs are trouncing him, everyone knows Tomboy and Love Dive, nobody knows his songs except my Korean aunties lol.

Your Korean aunties must've been listening to his album non-stop all day long, because his album is leading in gaon digital points. Actually, he has accumulated most points in gaon this year #2 IU then #3 BTS. He might even sweep in award shows this year because his Korean ahjummas are more dedicated in voting & streaming than any fandoms in SK.

• Your Korean aunties must've been listening to his album non-stop all day long, because his album is leading in gaon digital points. Actually, he has accumulated most points in gaon this year #2 IU then #3 BTS. He might even sweep in award shows this year because his Korean ahjummas are more dedicated in voting & streaming than any fandoms in SK.

LYW's Aunties beat BTS' teenage girls.. in the battle of Stereotyped fans..

Nice

• This thread contains 26 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!