Is IU BTS' greatest rival - and an obsevation of IU's surge perceived by the I-fans

• Last year was BTS' biggest year but IU wrested Korea from its hands.

IU became the 8th most awarded singer in the world.

Last year showed Adele was not what she used to be, Olivia Rodrigo pulled a strong showing but did not pull through (and she might end up like Lorde and Billie Eilish, who were hot for some time but have not regained their height)

and Justin Bieber became a part of Hybe.

So, other than The Weeknd, there were no serious contenders against BTS, so IU defeating BTS in Korea was a huge coup.

But as I examined all the non-Korean comments about IU obtaining the crown in Korea, I found very little hostility against Kpop's Greatest Anachronism and quite a number of Armys supported the singer who contributed the least amount to the expansion of Kpop.

Lee Jieun, while still not a world figure, was well known enough to be accepted by the world fans who took her as part of Kpop.

And it seems she has lessened her hostility against KPop, because of all the Kpop figures paying filial duty to her, and changed her attitude significantly.

In 2011 and especially 2014, she aimed to destroy Kpop and remove it from the scene forever, and she came very close to strangling it in 2014 when MAMA gave her the Lifetime Achievement Award and told her to get lost. Still 2015 was a blank year as far as KPop was concerned, and only Twice's Cheer up in 2016 revived it. (GFriend followed Lee JIeun's formula and was not too popular outside of Korea.)

Yet, the international fans did not hate the singer who almost ended Kpop, and had offended Suga by releasing a version of Eight with his parts all cut out , which was her declaration of war against BTS.

While researching for this piece, I found IU did sing a song, "Catch the Bus", from HItman Bang Shihyuk, albeit a long time ago.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

(circa 2010)

So Into the I-Land is not the first song from Mr. Bang she sang.

It seems Into the I-Land made her gain some respect from the entire Hybe fandom, who don't know her long history against Kpop, and she became known to Engenes and some Moas.

All these changes would have been informed to KPop's Senior Singer, who appears to have dropped her hostilities against KPop and threw all of her sleepy, isolationist and dyed-to-the-old ballads away at the end of last year (to be mauled by SMTM rappers) and entered the wold of KPop after fighting it for all her career, even though her Lilac album showed some willingness to submit to the Kpop universe.

Li m Youngwoong's trop concert at the end of last year is said to be a bummer; he only had a few of his own songs and the whole show was not organized well. While he will still garner support from his older fans, it seems he won't threat KPop's destiny. And he is the only remaining trottist who has any kind of power now. (Youngtak has his own scandal and is now collapsing ; the others, while defending their own turfs, won't go any farther from where they are now.)

Which means the last obstacle against Kpop appears to be removed.

I am amazed by the attitude of the i-fans against Lee JIeun. Instead of hating the person who has been the greatest drag against Kpop, they waited for years till she became less hostile to Kpop and it appears their patience is bearing fruit.

• Ho hum, the same old "dyed to old" WhyKnock ballad..you are rehashing stuff and no historical comparisons either..more boring than an IU Ballad :-P

And SMTM did not stop her from taking another Gaon #1, either. Winter Sleep did it.

• It’s getting repetitive and longer. I applaud you for having the attention span to consistently write long paragraphs about the same thing for so long.

How much would you charge to write academic essays and are you familiar with APA?

• my first intro to iu is that one vid where jk says iu is his fave singer, then there's jk covering ending scene, jk being basically an iu fanboy ^^

newer fans probably have her collab with suga as their first intro

so thats why there are good feelings for iu in general

My intro to IU was her drama dream high and I knew IU before I knew BTS. I have no reason to have bad feelings for her.

• Well ARMYS come in many varieties.

I see some who think IU owes her existence and fame, only because of Jungkook.

Others who dislike her, because she is JK's ideal type.

Idiotic.

But interestingly, I have not seen any comments hating her, because she beats BTS in "some" of the Korean records.

Which to me, makes most ARMY rather sensible people, than the idiots of the first two types.

Edited once, last by bbgc ().

• IU's korean esteem is hard to rival, especially because a lot of her music is not considered "idol music" so the general public who doesn't listen to idols (which is the majority of people above age 35 in SK) still listens to IU (a lot of non-idol fans and old people listen to BTS too but IU moreso)

that being said the rivalry between Army and Uaena seems pretty chill because ARMYS tend to get more triggered over threats to BTS's Western success these days (hence why they beef with everyone from BP, to Olivia Rodrigo, to Adele)

[+808,8] Jennie wears high heels larger than your oppa's dick, sit down

Animated GIFAnimated GIF

• IU's korean esteem is hard to rival, especially because a lot of her music is not considered "idol music" so the general public who doesn't listen to idols (which is the majority of people above age 35 in SK) still listens to IU (a lot of non-idol fans and old people listen to BTS too but IU moreso)

that being said the rivalry between Army and Uaena seems pretty chill because ARMYS tend to get more triggered over threats to BTS's Western success these days (hence why they beef with everyone from BP, to Olivia Rodrigo, to Adele)

I think the rivalry is chill because IU submitted to Hybe by begging Suga to do a song with her. She paid her filial respects to the young Lions of Korea who have been knighted by the Korean government due to their international stardom.

Imagine if IU chose to invite Rose to do a duet with her instead of doing a song with Suga? I think TW Army would be hellbent on downplaying and dragging her the same way they downplay everyone who threatens their faves (OMG, Aespa, BP, Justin, Olivia etc).

• I think the rivalry is chill because IU submitted to Hybe by begging Suga to do a song with her. She paid her filial respects to the young Lions of Korea who have been knighted by the Korean government due to their international stardom.

Imagine if IU chose to invite Rose to do a duet with her instead of doing a song with Suga? I think TW Army would be hellbent on downplaying and dragging her the same way they downplay everyone who threatens their faves (OMG, Aespa, BP, Justin, Olivia etc).

Garbage as usual.

• I think the rivalry is chill because IU submitted to Hybe by begging Suga to do a song with her. She paid her filial respects to the young Lions of Korea who have been knighted by the Korean government due to their international stardom.

The only person who can match WhyKnock in delusional highs is BlackpinkHouse

• lol fine, i exaggerated for impact, but you dont agree with the general point? You really think Army would have as good feelings toward IU if she hadnt collabed with Suga and instead made a hit song with Rose or BP?

Why is Army always one giant moving thing with one collective thought in your twisted imagination. I see Army as made up of individuals who have different ethic, global and maturity backgrounds who most of the time don’t agree on shit but you seem to know them all so well.

IU certainly is such an incredible and successful artist that she can pick and chose who she wants to collaborate with. Suga was a great choice. And if she chooses Rose for a next collab then it will be excellent and make an ass out of you

• Why is Army always one giant moving thing with one collective thought in your twisted imagination. I see Army as made up of individuals who have different ethic, global and maturity backgrounds who most of the time don’t agree on shit but you seem to know them all so well.

IU certainly is such an incredible and successful artist that she can pick and chose who she wants to collaborate with. Suga was a great choice. And if she chooses Rose for a next collab then it will be excellent and make an ass out of you

BlackpinkHouse is just cribbing because the IU-Rose collab did not happen, despite IU showing interest in early days of BP.

Guess YG Models-who occasionally sing missed the opportunity, and Bang PD/Suga did not, frankly that they made IU sing the nondescript "into the I-land" thing, is return enough.

• BlackpinkHouse is just cribbing because the IU-Rose collab did not happen, despite IU showing interest in early days of BP.

Guess YG Models-who occasionally sing missed the opportunity, and Bang PD/Suga did not, frankly that they made IU sing the nondescript "into the I-land" thing, is return enough.

Now you gone and done it.

Into the Iland was literally a megabop. Almost as good as Eight and better than anything else IU has put out. So much more energy and so satisfying when compared to her generic ballads omg. In fact, IU has been on a run with Eight, Into the Iland and Celebrity, before this run, she was more of an award winning actor to me (she deserved Emmys for Hotel Del Luna) than an elite singer.

• Why is Army always one giant moving thing with one collective thought in your twisted imagination. I see Army as made up of individuals who have different ethic, global and maturity backgrounds who most of the time don’t agree on shit but you seem to know them all so well.

Fair enough, you are one of the few Armys who've been vocal about your support of BP and other non BTS groups.

But it's not easy to get the bad taste out my mouth when i see Armys on TW dragging and shading every TW that highlights a BP or Aespa achievement.

• Now you gone and done it.

Into the Iland was literally a megabop. Almost as good as Eight and better than anything else IU has put out. So much more energy and so satisfying when compared to her generic ballads omg. In fact, IU has been on a run with Eight, Into the Iland and Celebrity, before this run, she was more of an award winning actor to me (she deserved Emmys for Hotel Del Luna) than an elite singer.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Your subjective tastes are of no relevance. Nor is mine.

I-land did not do as well on the charts in comparison to IU's other title songs and OSTs. So that is the only point that matters.

As to her acting, she already and amply proved her chops in "My Mister". Just that HDL was exposed more to international audience. That's all.

• That insulting Suga is sheer nonsense.

If there is a feature in a song, the featured artist is not going to be available for every performance.

So either that portion has to be part of the MR, so LMR and that is not relishable to many artists and fans.

So if the main artist can sing it, it is their choice.

If that's an insult to the feature, then even before Suga, IU has "insulted" G-Dragon, when she sang his rap part of Palette in many performances.

I am sure there are more such cases and not just with IU.

Even BTS - Halsey, Aoki many should feel insulted.

• A lot of them do not know the history of IU destroying one act after another and another and another in the 2nd Generation. In fact the 2nd Gen ended because of her and in 2014 she almost destroyed the 3rd Generation too.

BTS missed her battles against the 3rd Gen because at that time it was less prominent, and when she returned to the Arena in 2017 following the Zeze fiasco in late 2015, BTS was already established in the overseas.

• This thread contains 10 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!