[theQoo] Women have lower intention to date, marry, and give birth than men ... Women are also found to be happier being single than men

• It is revealed that 70% single young people choose not to date. Women have higher proportion of choosing not to be in relationship than men. Not only that, the survey also showed that women also have lower intention to date, marry, and give birth than men.

The Population Health and Welfare Association announced the result of survey on 'Youth's Love, Marriage, and Gender Perception' at a debate in 2022. The survey showed that 65.5% of the respondents are single and 70.4% among them choose to not be in a relationship. Out of 70.4% of them 61.4% are men and 82.% are women.

Among the single respondents, 46.7% of them are optimist about their love life in the future. Out of 52.5% of them are men and 38.7% of them are women.

18.4% of the respondents answered that they would definitely date and 4.8% of them answered they would never date.

48.3% of the single respondents are satisfied with their single life. Among them, 37.8% are men and 62.3% are women.

On the opposite, 15% of the single respondents admit that they are not satisfied with being single. Among them, 19% are men and 9.6% are women.

51% of the respondents feel optimist about getting married in the future, 19.8% of them say that they will definitely get married, and 6.7% said they will never get married. Among 51% respondents who are optimist, 57% of them are men and 44% of them are women. The negative response rate of women was 56%, higher than men with 43%.

The study was based on the results of an online survey of 1,047 unmarried young people aged 19 to 34 that was done from July 18 to 21.

theqoo

-As I get older, I get more intention to get married... However, it's difficult to find a good person...ㅋㅋ

-I have experienced violence in relationship before and it gives me anxiety. That's why I am very happy with being single right now. I am very grateful to know that I'm safe.

-I have zero thoughts to get married. I don't date and I don't think I'll ever want to. I'm just very happy with my life right now.

-I'm happy with being on my own!

-I agree. Honestly, I just want a friend with benefit. I know relationships don't work for me, so I never bother to start one.

-First of all, it's hard to find a good person. Thinking about marriage and even childbirth... I think I'm the one at loss here.

-I'm happy with being single, it's really peaceful. The only thing I need right now is money.

-Being a fangirl is super fun, so why bother being in a relationship? I don't want to put my life at risk.

-It's really really comfortable with being single. There are times I would look back at the times I was desperate of being in a relationship, I don't recognize that side of myself at all nowㅋㅋㅋㅋ

-I've been going on blind dates because of my mom and it's giving me a really hard time. The men was never the problem, it's just really hard for me. It annoys me when they text me. I have to pretend to like them and be friendly with them, it feels like I'm working overtime. I feel sorry that they're wasting their time on me, but there's nothing I can do. It's unfair but I don't want to blame it on my mom. There are people around me who get married and are actually happy with their marriage life, I'm not in denial, but even after seeing them, I still have no thoughts to get married. I think I'd f*cking love my child if I ever give birth to them, but this world is way too cruel for them. I hope there would be nurse robots when I'm older...

-It gets lonely sometimes, but it's better than dating the wrong person because it could ruin your life...

-Women are the ones who give birth, why do men feel like they have the place to talk about their intention to have child?

-Isn't it obvious? There's more to lose than to gain when you start dating. I'd rather be a fangirl my whole life.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

-Women are the ones who give birth, why do men feel like they have the place to talk about their intention to have child?

I dont get why they always poll the dudes on the intention to give birth. Like they are not the ones pushing it out, their opinion on the matter makes 0 sense.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I dont get why they always poll the dudes on the intention to give birth. Like they are not the ones pushing it out, their opinion on the matter makes 0 sense.

uh..it still takes two people to make a baby? lol. they're basically just asking men if they want to be parents. there is definitely an increase in men who want to be childfree getting vasectomies early.

who's your favorite artist?

• uh..it still takes two people to make a baby? lol. they're basically just asking men if they want to be parents. there is definitely an increase in men who want to be childfree getting vasectomies early.

If a woman wants a kid, they can do it without the dude. They will just get donated sperm or sleep with some guy and never tell them about the kid.

The opposite isnt true. Dudes cant just wake up and decide its a good day to get pregnant .

To increase their countries birthrate they need more willing women. Even if 100% of korean men want kids, their birthrate isnt going to change unless they give women the rights they deserve.

• You can't dream with being a parent if you are a dude? Ok, good to know lol

so the purpose of these surveys are important

SK government is trying to figure out how they can increase their birthrate

In that regard the male population opinion does not matter. They have to create a favorable condition for women. Right now women pretty much everywhere feel like child birth is more of a responsibility and a burden to them rather than their partners. So unless that changes, no men opinion and dreams in this regard does not matter.

Unless scientists come up with artificial wombs. Then you can buy one and have your own kid.

• If a woman wants a kid, they can do it without the dude. They will just get donated sperm or sleep with some guy and never tell them about the kid.

The opposite isnt true. Dudes cant just wake up and decide its a good day to get pregnant .

To increase their countries birthrate they need more willing women. Even if 100% of korean men want kids, their birthrate isnt going to change unless they give women the rights they deserve.

im kinda confused what your actual point is. you said men shouldn't have an opinion on wanting to be a parent... but they literally do and should? someone has to donate sperm, no? if a man doesn't want a kid out there running around with his genes but never knowing them, he won't donate sperm. "sleep with some guy and never tell them about the kid." is also fucked up bc someone who is the father of a child deserves to know. men can also do fucked up things like tamper with condoms or their significant other's birth control to purposefully knock them up if we want to talk about stuff like that.

anyway i honestly think you're going way beyond the scope of what the original question in the survey was asking.

• im kinda confused what your actual point is. you said men shouldn't have an opinion on wanting to be a parent... but they literally do and should? someone has to donate sperm, no? if a man doesn't want a kid out there running around with his genes but never knowing them, he won't donate sperm. "sleep with some guy and never tell them about the kid." is also fucked up bc someone who is the father of a child deserves to know. men can also do fucked up things like tamper with condoms or their significant other's birth control to purposefully knock them up if we want to talk about stuff like that.

anyway i honestly think you're going way beyond the scope of what the original question in the survey was asking.

no Im not

the purpose of the survey is to figure out how they can increase SK's childbirth

They arent going to increase their child birth rate by taking men opinion, no one is, no where in the world.

If they were smart they would offer lots of benefits to single moms.

Also Im not advocating for not including your partner in your child life, but if someone wants to do it, Its logistically very much possible. Its about the logistics of it, not the morals.

• No need for articial wombs. Have you ever heard of adoptions? Or even better, surrogacy?

Unless you are super rich, surrogacy is out of question. Adoption wont increase the child birth rate, like the sk government wants. Still null

• Well... I have sometimes wanted to get married and have children.

One of the reasons is because I feel like that is kind of expected of me.

And I also like romance, and have sometimes wished I dated someone, and that we held hands, hugged and kissed.

But I haven't found "the one".

and I guess I wouldn't be a good mother.

I'm also not the kind of person, who likes children.

I think I would rather want to have a cat than have a child.

• They should be asking men if they want to stick around and actively parent their own children.

literally people will address everything except the big problem here

• Unless you are super rich, surrogacy is out of question. Adoption wont increase the child birth rate, like the sk government wants. Still null

Lots of people could afford surrogacy if they wanted to. They don't. That's another matter.

And I don't care about child birth rate, that's not what I was addressing. And neither were you actually, since your whole point ultimately seems to be another form of "men are trash/irrelevant" argument or something like that. And if not, please tell me why you're so interested in SK natalism? Do you have any stake in it?

• Lots of people could afford surrogacy if they wanted to. They don't. That's another matter.

And I don't care about child birth rate, that's not what I was addressing. And neither were you actually, since your whole point ultimately seems to be another form of "men are trash" argument or something like that. And if not, please tell me why you're so interested in SK natalism? Do you have any stake in it?

lmao

Im not part of all men are trash crowd

I think this is a common issue alot of western government are also trying to address, including my country.

Trying to include whether men want to give birth or not, wont help any of them achieve what they want. It just logistically wont work.

The way it was addressed in my country, was to give alot of benefits to single moms. If a woman's ability to raise their kid is not dependent on their partner's reliability, your country's birth rate will go up.

Think about it, how many singe moms do you see, versus single dads?

• literally where does it say that? these are essentially the statistics of WHY the birth rate is down. maybe the overall study is for that but this survey doesn't give you any data to draw a conclusion on that. they didn't ask people "what would make you want to have kids."

i also don't think a conservative country that looks down on single mothers, divorced women ect. wants to incentivize people to become single mothers. they want to incentivize married couples to have children.

• literally where does it say that? these are essentially the statistics of WHY the birth rate is down. maybe the overall study is for that but this survey doesn't give you any data to draw a conclusion on that. they didn't ask people "what would make you want to have kids."

i also don't think a conservative country that looks down on single mothers, divorced women ect. wants to incentivize people to become single mothers. they want to incentivize married couples to have children.

and this is why their plot will fail

so many western countries tried that and it doesnt work

solution is to support women to raise their kids by themselves even if their partners dip

• literally people will address everything except the big problem here

They should be asking men if they want to stick around and actively parent their own children.

The problem here is that this survey can be misused (and probably is, let's face it) to blame women for the declining birth rate in SK. The survey they really need to take remains an unasked and unanswered question.

• The problem here is that this survey can be misused (and probably is, let's face it) to blame women for the declining birth rate in SK. The survey they really need to take remains an unasked and unanswered question.

thats why I think the men opinion in this case doesnt matter and shouldnt have been polled to begin with.

At the end of the day they need to figure out what can they do to make women feel secure and able to raise their kids even if their partners dip.

• The way it was addressed in my country, was to give alot of benefits to single moms. If a woman's ability to raise their kid is not dependent on their partner's reliability, your country's birth rate will go up.

Very few women intend to have kids and raise them on their own. It is unforeseen circumstances that make them single moms. So as a society there's not much to gain in giving away benefits to single moms only as if being/becoming a single mom was some kind of interesting prospect.

And what about the other moms? Are they trash? Should they be overlooked? It's such a strange point of view.

• Very few women intend to have kids and raise them on their own. It is unforeseen circumstances that make them single moms. So as a society there's not much to gain in giving away benefits to single moms only as if it was some kind of beneficial project to have.

And what about the other moms? Are they trash? Should they be overlooked? It's such a strange point of view.

Its not

For single moms, you are only supplying them with what they would miss when their partners dip on them.

It actually benefits married women too. They no longer have to tolerate terrible abusive relationships bc they are scared of not being able to provide for their kids. Some married women choose to not have kids, bc they are scared of the consequences if their partners leave them.

It just gives extra peace of mind to everyone.

• Very few women intend to have kids and raise them on their own. It is unforeseen circumstances that make them single moms. So as a society there's not much to gain in giving away benefits to single moms only as if being/becoming a single mom was some kind of interesting prospect.

IMO they should be giving benefits to all parents, but with a special allowance to single parents since doing it alone has got to be just that much harder.

• Whilst I don't believe in marriage, I have been with my partner for 21 years and I am also a mother which is what I wanted to be more so as long as my daughter is in my life I am happy and don't wish for anything else.

• It’s a global trend because women are making decisions to prioritize their best interest first for a change - which is common sense.

Many ladies also already invested in a career (financial independence), take care of family e.g., parents or siblings and so on…to add being the wife and mother to this is a lot especially when we know house chores and child raising often falls to women etc.

• I guess what makes me sad how women being force to date or get married bc of the culture. In some asian countries, society looks down on single women who already reached certain age, parents also push their daughter to get married 'to get the happiness', and having children 'to be complete as a woman'.

I'm a happy married woman with children. But I also have friend who still single on 30's and enjoy her life the fullest.

Single, dating, married, having children, or whatever is fine as long as it's your own choice. And you take responsibilty for it.

• The problem here is that this survey can be misused (and probably is, let's face it) to blame women for the declining birth rate in SK. The survey they really need to take remains an unasked and unanswered question.

Alot of these surveys seem designed to place blame on women, instead of actually acknowledging how systemic misogyny and poor economies are the real issues

• It’s a global trend because women are making decisions to prioritize their best interest first for a change - which is common sense.

I'm curious as to how Korea's figures compare to analogous numbers in other countries. Is this trend only appearing in developed nations?

• I'm curious as to how Korea's figures compare to analogous numbers in other countries. Is this trend only appearing in developed nations?

I think UN Women had a report about this but it’s not only developed nations - it is happening across even in developing countries that allow women the opportunity to work and be financially independent.

• This is not at all surprising. Especially in a country like Korea, where the average woman is well educated and finically independent but still expected to give up her career, run the household and take care of the children, with very little help from her husband, once she gets married.

Countries that have gotten closer to achieving finical equality but still have traditional family structures always end up like this. There's a reason why countries like Japan and Italy have low birth rates.

• I saw a viral tweet that was supposed to be funny yesterday where the man took a photo of a woman about to give birth and obviously in pain while he is waiting in front of her with a slice of pizza. Shit like that going viral and being defended even though its a major disrespect to the woman, probably his wife, is one of the reasons why most women dont want anything to do with men. That and also because most lack basic hygiene.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• In Korea it's also almost impossible to have children and work full time. One of the parents have to give up their career to make it work.

If Korea wants to up their birthrate they have to create a more friendly society for parents, making it possible for them to stay working while having children. Better accessible daycare, longer paid parental leave etc.

• I'm curious as to how Korea's figures compare to analogous numbers in other countries. Is this trend only appearing in developed nations?

I think UN Women had a report about this but it’s not only developed nations - it is happening across even in developing countries that allow women the opportunity to work and be financially independent.

I think Korea figure is much lower than every other nation

To maintain population level you need birthrate of 2.2 per woman

Birthrate in sk is 0.87

US is around 1.8 I think

Goverment in US is panicking over 1.8 , compared to that SK levels are tanking

I think alot of women would love to have both career and family life. The problem is society is set up in a way that they can truly only fulfill one.

They get discriminated at work, and at homes they are expected to be servants.

I posted another survey that showed even in household that women earn majority of the income, they still do majority of house chores and child cares too.

• Exactly- it is not surprising. Men really don’t understand even with pregnancy all the health issues that women have to bear. I am legit so sad and fearful for many women in the US right now we the stupid govt overturning Roe vs Wade.

Reminds me of the show where men try to out with equipments to experience having our monthly cycles and pregnancy and THEN they start to get a clue of what it all entails. Most of the men on the show couldn’t even bear a fraction of the monthly pain and they quickly realize a 9 month pregnancy is also not as they thought.

• This thread contains 2 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!