Sm is marketing kpop cringy in the west

• Most of the time and in the west

Because the concepts of sm groups who are being pushed in the west seems childish and imature and that might be a reason why the general public in the west can't take kpop serious. And honestly this is pitty for groups who try to break through with "mature" concepts and who specializes in making the right song for the western community

E.g. probably 50% of kpop fans are really familair with nct concept. Yet sm pushed them in the west with the wrong songs like how can someone promote sticker on late night shows? Or superhuman like c'mon now

Orr superms avengers concept with jopping with cringe lyrics only for them to coming back to korea. Even kpop fans cringed at this even sm stans

Orr aespas ai concept. Like ngl it sounds all fun and cool but only among kpoppies. Majority of people in westeen countries just find it weird and ngl this was me at first. Western community is here only for the music and aesoa lacks in that like how can someone promote LTS on shows

That is why i believe all these stuff put a childish and cringe light on kpop in the west. Obv other groups contribute to that as well but as a company who has connection and succesfull groups like suju, snsd, tvxq who had a GREAT reputation even internationally i just find it sad how sm tries to get a position in western market

• Wizard-of-ozz

Changed the title of the thread from “Sm is putting a cringe light on kpop” to “Sm is marketing kpop cringy in the west”.
  • Sounds like LSM is a giant nerd (and a software engineer IIRC) so seeing him do all these concepts is so entertaining like lol this is just what happens when you give a computer geek a massive budget and dozens of beautiful people to control

I just read an article on how 2nd and 3rd gen sm groups are being absorbed into aespas kwangya concept. And then i thought not even kpoppies are pleased by that and then i thought the western community just find all these weird concepts just irritating and cringe

• I live in the west. I like NCT. I really don't give two shits if you or anyone else does. You're just one less pressed weirdo I need to fight for concert tickets.

:nct3:

• I just read an article on how 2nd and 3rd gen sm groups are being absorbed into aespas kwangya concept. And then i thought not even kpoppies are pleased by that and then i thought the western community just find all these weird concepts just irritating and cringe

to be fair, innovation will always be needed in this industry so I'm glad SM are willing to do things like this and the industry benefits rather than loses out from their experiments. It's just not America's thing at all - but maybe in 10 years?

• when will you guys learn that the west thinks kpop in general is cringe and it's not even because of kpop itself but because of the fandom :pepe-tea: just enjoy your kpop :pepe-dj: the west giving it validation or not giving it shouldn't have any effect on your personal enjoyment of kpop :pepe-just-smile:

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• it works for me so idc

:pepe-dj:

btw SM always tried "weird" concepts

you all rlly came late to the party or something :pepefacepalm:

I mean they sent out DBSK looking like this and people think its recent

Post Pics of Idols Totally Rocking Weird Hairstyle/Hair Color - Celebrity  Photos & Videos - OneHallyu

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• he has a point western market isnt built for bubblegum kpop thats why twice didnt go big with their cute concept there only for fandoms. when they went mature they grew. thats why BP and BTS are more famous there because of them being more "westernized" in terms of sound.

• it works for me so idc

:pepe-dj:

btw SM always tried "weird" concepts

you all rlly came late to the party or something :pepefacepalm:

new fans definitely did come late to the party. kpop got more popular during the pandemic.

weird concepts obviously didn't work because none of SM groups got successful and is known by western gp. SM is trying so hard to push aespa to american market but it's not paying off because that kind of music and concept don't appeal to a broader audience. and they want that, they aren't satisfied with kpop fans only, they want gp too.

and let's be real, when kpop fans say the west they mean america, that's where the money is; what's popular in america europe will follow.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!