BTS having Korean promotions for the first time in many moons - its grip in Korea seriously challenged by IU now.

• Ever since IU beat Big Bang back in Dec 26, 2010, she has fought KPop with the utmost hostility and antagonism.

If she could, she would have destroyed all traces of KPop and made the Korean Pop like what it was in 1990, all ballads, with an occasional dance act, and no groups.

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2022/05/the-celebrities-with-the-best-reputation-in-south-korea

I don't know how this survey was taken, but according to this,

(Only people relevant to KPop are mentioned.)

1. Yoo Jaesuk (was part of MSG Wannabe so is remotely relevant to KPop.)

2. IU

11. BTS (12. BTS' Kim Namjoon.)

(Yoona not counted since she is no longer part of Kpop.)

====

In a previous survey I hinted out that among the under-14 crowd, IU has the biggest reputation, followed by BTS.

IU and BTS represent ideologies which are polar opposite of each other. BTS represents unity, world conquest, expansion, and the future; IU represents division, isolationism, domesticism , and the past.

History is full of fights between expansionism and reactionism, and although sometimes the forces for change won, in the end the old order usually prevailed because it was able to bide its time until the fervor for changes died down.

it seems that at least in Korea, IU has recaptured the leadership of Pop culture, which is a huge change since for the first time in 2017, BTS' world leadership is meeting a very serious challenge, by the one enemy which BTS could not beat because of her strong ties with Kakao (and Melon).

Lee JIeun and Yoo Heeyeol starred in a commercial of the Melon 100 charts, showing that despite of the change of ownership in Edam Entertainment (IU lost the control of her company to Kakao recently - she used to own 60% (30% thru her proxy) and Kakao 40%, but now Kakao owns 52.5% and she owns 47.5%.), her ties with Kakao are just as strong as ever.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

BTS is having a Korean promotion for the first time since 2020, I believe with "On".

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It did not promote in Korea when it was having billboard wins. Even Psy did promote Gangnam Style in Inkigayo when he was fighting Maroon 5.

(with you-know-who)

And now it seems Hybe is feeling some heat in Korea which has led BTS to promote in Korea for its upcoming album.

How BTS losing Korea to IU (and, by corollary, the acts from newer generation) will play in the future is going to be a very interesting question, indeed.

• No Grammy in the West and this Grand-mammy at home.. "Someone save BTS.. so that BTS can save Kpop ... oh please."

And someone please save AllKpop from Whyknock.

• I think the villain in this story for once isnt IU...it's Aespa and Justin Bieber. I dont think BTS or BangPD enjoyed being shown up by Next Level, Stay and Peaches last year, i think they expected Butter, PTD and MY to dominate Korea but they ended up falling by the wayside.

And now with Knetz trying to start up dumb drama with Hybe over ridiculous non scandals like Jimin's health insurance, with even mainstream media going after Lesserfrim, with the Knetz generated controversy surrounding BTS enlistment and the political drama involved between Hybe and the new President...I think Hybe is determined to flex its muscle in Korea with their flagship BG. This is about putting Aespa, Ive, Gidle and even Bigbang in their places with Korean promotions and presumably their first Korean title in two years.

IU seems to be taking a rest right now and is focused on her acting. Isnt she doing another acting project soon?

• I think the villain in this story for once isnt IU...it's Aespa and Justin Bieber. I dont think BTS or BangPD enjoyed being shown up by Next Level, Stay and Peaches last year, i think they expected Butter, PTD and MY to dominate Korea but they ended up falling by the wayside.

And now with Knetz trying to start up dumb drama with Hybe over ridiculous non scandals like Jimin's health insurance, with even mainstream media going after Lesserfrim, with the Knetz generated controversy surrounding BTS enlistment and the political drama involved between Hybe and the new President...I think Hybe is determined to flex its muscle in Korea with their flagship BG. This is about putting Aespa, Ive, Gidle and even Bigbang in their places with Korean promotions and presumably their first Korean title in two years.

IU seems to be taking a rest right now and is focused on her acting. Isnt she doing another acting project soon?

Isn't IU, BTS and everyone afraid of Jo Yuri or is it Blackpink?

Stick to your own conspiracy theory favorites.

Aespa gave a good run on the money.

Hybe made several careless moves this year, like what you have listed, and it has to save its reputation in Korea which might not be the most important market but it is important for its general reputation since if it is seen defeated in its home front it will give a bad reputation all over the rest of the world.

BTS has to show its power again before the newer acts become more challenging.

IU lost the control of her company to Kakao, which cancelled her next acting process. It seems Kakao will prepare IU for a new concert later this year which will probably make her release at least a couple digital singles.

• Well now we have the loony & loonier both present.

So let me join.

It is Biden-US who demands that the new ally HYBE-BTS focus on Korea. With SM's China connections, being acquired by Kakao, US needs a strong presence in S.Korea to challenge the Sino-Russian funded SM-Kakao axis forces.

It is all run up to WWIII and BTS, their ARMY is needed to hold the Korean front.

how is that for a theory?

• HYBEs power is tested by the Kim Garam issue, are they powerful enough that they can retain her and make Le Sserafim a success?

Is BTS powerful enough that they can risk shielding their sister act?

IU has done that to an extent. She has collaborated with Jay Park, who still gets bad rep from the assorted fandom, and of course from Anchovy, Zeze, standing with Sulli or T-ara Jiyeon through rocky times, she has proved herself to be the 'Teflon idol'.

Can HYBE-BTS achieve that?

That would be an interesting display of power.

• Basically it is Hybe trying to subdue its last opponent who is still defiant. SM, etc does not matter.

I have explained before that for business reasons Hybe will have to retain Garam, but who knows. Mr. Bang is not the most reliable partner in the world and Mr. So might receive the treatment Hybe did to GFriend, basically washing his hands on it back then. I think it is unlikely but in the brutal world of Kpop nothing is impossible.

BTS themselves appear to be only responsible for txt, directly under its label. Given the circus surrounding Taehyung and Jennie recently, I doubt BTS will do anything for LSF.

• IU represents healing, love and friendship. She represents hard work and kindness, philanthropy and artistry. Struggle and unconditional love.

She also represents isolationism, sticking with the old notion of vocals being supreme, staying in Korea only, releasing Korean lyrics she wrote herself, and not seeking foreign fans too much.

Like typical landowners who don't really give a crap about anything outside of her own holdings.

• WSG wannabe (female vocal group produced by Yu Jae Seok) is soon to come aswell :froghype:

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• She also represents isolationism, sticking with the old notion of vocals being supreme, staying in Korea only, releasing Korean lyrics she wrote herself, and not seeking foreign fans too much.

Like typical landowners who don't really give a crap about anything outside of her own holdings.

Bad bad IU,

How bad she is to highlight vocal abilities in a Music industry?

Meaningful lyrics, that is a sacrilege - one should only use rhythmic grunts or gibberish a toddler would lisp..

Foreign fans, of course, what is one without external validation, if the West is not won, then rest is useless.

• She slays!

She has been the greatest drag KPop ever met, and because of her connection to Kakao, she is impossible to beat. Spotify almost silenced her when it cut singers supported by Kakao( read : IU) earlier last year, but it is for profits and not for the advancement of Kpop so it took her back a few days later.

Like the figure hiding under a cape in classic swordfighting movies, she shows up time to time to haunt Kpop acts, always trying to wrest the initiative so Korean Pop can return to its old, isolationist self, giving up all of its international gains as if it never left Korea at all.

• change of ownership in Edam Entertainment (IU lost the control of her company to Kakao recently - she used to own 60% (30% thru her proxy) and Kakao 40%, but now Kakao owns 52.5% and she owns 47.5%.)

Given that she is EDAM's primary asset.

Ownership control doesn't matter much.

Unless we know the specifics of the contract, I wouldn't assume that Kakao has the sort of control typical agencies would have over their idols.

• Joking aside, we always said BTS didn’t promote when there was no audience ie ARMY. They stopped promoting after On because of the pandemic. And when people were saying BTS are being cocky and arrogant because they didn’t promote at music shows for Dynamite etc, we always said it’s because there’s no ARMY and they will resume if there’s ARMY and here we are. It’s very simple but of course you would want to relate it to poor IU. Even when BTS is doing a good thing, people want to twist the narrative. It’s crazy how creative some people can get. That’s one positive thing out of this I guess lol.

• Source?

I wrote an entire thread about this

• Joking aside, we always said BTS didn’t promote when there was no audience ie ARMY. They stopped promoting after On because of the pandemic. And when people were saying BTS are being cocky and arrogant because they didn’t promote at music shows for Dynamite etc, we always said it’s because there’s no ARMY and they will resume if there’s ARMY and here we are. It’s very simple but of course you would want to relate it to poor IU. Even when BTS is doing a good thing, people want to twist the narrative. It’s crazy how creative some people can get. That’s one positive thing out of this I guess lol.

I don't agree with the OP's narrative either, but your response is circular - chicken and egg.

If they promote, ARMY will turn up.

If ARMY turns up, they will promote.

COVID restrictions apply equally on the act and the audience.

I think it is ok for BTS-HYBE to focus sometime in the Western market, even if there was no pandemic.

And RM was clear that the West was only a foray and not the long term, which was always Korea.

So don't bother about OP's creative twisting.

• The difference is that music shows allow live audiences again. BTS didn't go on music shows in 2020-2021 because covid restrictions banned live audiences but they've resumed so BTS is back to promoting normally.

• What? If they turn up during the pandemic to promote Dynamite, no ARMY can turn up lol. Music shows prohibit audience. So why bother because they usually go to music shows to meet and interact with ARMY. You can see old videos how they bring presents to ARMY in the audience and how they always joke around. It’s really tiring filming music shows so if they don’t have to, BTS won’t waste their time. (Do you know that they did have music shows during the pandemic where the acts can perform but no audience?)

But now music shows are permitting audience again, BTS will start attending again. There’s no chicken or egg.

• The difference is that music shows allow live audiences again. BTS didn't go on music shows in 2020-2021 because covid restrictions banned live audiences but they've resumed so BTS is back to promoting normally.

If live audience was so critical, then why conduct the online concert?

Doesn't follow.

• There was a possibility of having a small of audience for EVERY SINGLE online concert they did.

Ok if we end up debating how large is adequate enough for them to be present etc.. Then it would be pointless.

It is their choice, they don't need to justify it to anybody.

As to fans and cases like OP, they can spin it to their own prejudices.

Since I am neither a fan, nor a conspiracy theorist like the OP. I will exit here.

• BTS is already in a position wherein they can choose where to appear, and they simply chose not to show up on music shows for the last two years. Yoongi shared that it was exhausting promoting in music shows. And they have no benefits of performing there (in terms of monetarily returns or exposure) as Koreans don't even watch music shows and Inkigayo 💀 And even without showing up, they got a lot of wins and trophies. They just gave in to loud k-fans demands because it's been a while since they did any domestic promotions or the usual kpop roll-out. Just to want to make it clear that they didn't fumble anything by not going to any k-music shows. It's irrelevant to their success atp.

It is unfortunate that the greatest act in Korean history, or maybe the entire history of Pop , existed at the same time as the greatest soloist in Korea in the 21st century.

IU is the antithesis of BTS and whenever BTS gets weaker IU makes her move, including inviting Seventeen to her personal show , given the delicate situation of Seventeen in Hybe.

Since BTS seems to be retreating in Korea a bit IU regains her position in there, and BTS' promotion in korea is to overwhelm its domestic opponents and show how powerful t is to the upcoming generations who kind of rely on iu as their champion, much like a lot of non-SM fans relied on her when she fought Exo in 2014.

• It is unfortunate that the greatest act in Korean history, or maybe the entire history of Pop , existed at the same time as the greatest soloist in Korea in the 21st century.

IU is the antithesis of BTS and whenever BTS gets weaker IU makes her move, including inviting Seventeen to her personal show , given the delicate situation of Seventeen in Hybe.

Since BTS seems to be retreating in Korea a bit IU regains her position in there, and BTS' promotion in korea is to overwhelm its domestic opponents and show how powerful t is to the upcoming generations who kind of rely on iu as their champion, much like a lot of non-SM fans relied on her when she fought Exo in 2014.

There will always be the Queen to lead the Rebel Alliance against the evil Empires of the K-pop galaxy.

• There will always be the Queen to lead the Rebel Alliance against the evil Empires of the K-pop galaxy.

I once referred to BTS as the Seven Sith Lords of the Galaxy and their Army as the Evil Empire. With Olivia Rodrigo playing the part of the lone Jedi defiantly standing against them.

Maybe it was IU all along, not Olivia who ended up betraying the Alliance with her flirting with V on national television 8| .

IU as Princess Leia has a nice ring to it.

• how i feel reading this thread

Psychedelic Sun GIFs | Tenor

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• This thread contains 5 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!