Posts by onwards

Honestly it is ruining kpop, tiny companies used to survive in the cracks from essentially the same thing, is there much space left if the big hitters are doing the same?

ERG THIS SO MUCH THIS!!!

Honestly you can only use the Twice Wonder girls example if they had the same concept which they didn't. 2ne1 didn't even need to be put in the dungeon for your example to work, chaos would still ensue. Hybe has big company money with nugu mentality. Even if we argue they are under different sub-labels, its not like Hybe acts that way. How much overlap do we see with their groups promoting? Basically none. That should tell you everything we need to know about how Hybe works, its one big company not many smaller ones.

EXACTLY to everything and specially this ;judgingpepe: .

Erg you get it! All the while pricing everything high then wondering why things aren't selling out BECAUSE THE FANDOMS ARE ESSENTIALLY THE SAME. The infighting with fandoms is going to be insane.

Hybe is out here acting like some nugu company CEO who desperately needs this debut to succeed so is chasing short term trends and making all their idols look the same (THAT DAMN HYBE NOSE JOB). BTS's success was literally one in a million, so we get that you don't know how to make a groups successful, but the answer isn't to copy and pray. En- is basically their attempt at straykids/ateez, LSF is Itzy with a bigger budget and we all know about Illit. You can even argue BND is just six zico's but at least theres a decent gap between him debuting and him debuting them. How can you have BTS level money and still be too scared to take risks? MHJ mentioned she had to fight tooth and nail to get NWJNS to debut as she wanted because they wanted her to go with something more 'trendy'. So how many creatives are being ignored because the management is too conservative and trend chasing to listen to them despite paying them to be creative? how much have we lost out on?

AND WHAT I HATE MOST IS THEY ARE MAKING ME MISS LSM AND HIS UNHINGED CONCEPTS. Man is evil and got many screws loose, but at least the groups he made were all interesting musically and conceptwise. We actively looked forward to SM debuts because it was always interesting.

Timescales for me. YG always waits until the previous group is basically disbanded/inactive to launch the replacement. SM always waits at least 7 years before trying debut the face clone of their fave idols for the next gen.

It hasn't even been 2 years and Hybe is copying. It just raises the question, whats the point of Hybe being a big power in the industry if all they do is copy the latest trends, not try to create it like other big 3 companies. If the sound stops being trendy are they going to keep copying everything MHJ does to evolve newjeans? what are they going to do if that evolution isn't successful? the reason companies have different concepts is to diversify the fanbases to stop overlap, that way if one group flops, you got a whole other fanbase of a different sound to rely on meanwhile Hybe is out here actively trying to cannibalise their own groups fanbases and its going to hurt both groups in the long run.

Either way, its low key hilarious how little buzz his debut made despite how desperate they have been to push him. Sending him to every SM idol concert, a documentary, two MV's, a tour and all for what? less than 20k sales, no charting and not even 3 million views conbined across the two MV's. Even dropping it on April fools with a weird British accent and him transforming into a weird stuart little esque rat couldn't save it from tanking.

Taemin was with SM for almost 20 years, one of their most successful male soloists yet they never booked him a solo concert outside of SK or Japan. Closest was a showcase in Taiwan in 2016 and now he has left for better things. You play stupid games, you win stupid prizes :pepe-toast:

I keep looking around for all the NMIXX, Purple Kiss, aespa, Mamamoo and Red Velvet fans here but I can't seem to spot them in these threads and comments :pepe-magnify:

Because we have better things to do, like building prayer circles asking for Wheein's, Moonbyul's and Hwasa's teams to book a date even vaguely near europe and praying they don't announce said dates at the same time as Beyonce's rumoured CC tour or I'll be a new level of broke :emotionalpepe:

Your really mixing apples and oranges. Frankly the market changed between gens as it always does. First gen was basically SES, Fin K L and Baby Vox. In second gen more companies took a risk seeing how successful first gen was and so we got alot of smaller companies taking a risk and managing to build on one hit wonders. They were able to do it because it was the golden era of idols on entertainment shows doing insanity. Even if you were from a nobody company, if you managed to make it onto a side show as an extra you may be able to lift your group out of obscurity with a viral hairflip, sentence or clever response.

By third gen the bigger companies were putting more money into their MV's and dominated the market to the point that it was hard for smaller companies to sneak in because the quality difference was so stark. The GP moved away from idols on TV and the shows reflected that so the chances to go viral were fewer which is why those who went viral and lifted their groups did it with fancams (gfriend, Jooe and Hanni). There were more companies trying to make groups, but the resources to promote them was shrinking so only famous companies and groups with some level of fame could land them, and even then they still needed to get lucky to be come famous. On top of that people didn't even get to get bored of the big three and look for new groups because Twice was in their peak beast era and dropping a CB every 3-4 months, second gen was still very active and popular thanks to their history with the GP.

It wasn't until fourth gen that smaller companies were able to catch up because the success of third gen lowered the barriers to entry. The MV's were higher quality and they realised they didn't need the GP if you aimed at international fans thanks to third gen groups like dreamcatcher, loona and Kard who focused on overseas promotions and the biggest third gen groups had expanded the scope of kpop so all of a sudden there were even more fans to go around. This lead to a boom in Korean youtube channels aimed at international fans which gave smaller groups lots of promotional time. Not to mention smaller companies started to follow the bigger ones who during third gen would make their own series for their groups on youtube instead of waiting for TV shows to accept them. The pandemic meant companies began pushing for online fansignings or concerts and things like tiktok and youtube shorts meant groups could go far if they managed to pick the right song and dance.

Your also not taking into account, just how long and well the biggest third gen groups dominated. Twice and BP succeeded on a scale so big there was barely any room for the other successful third gen groups. Two of three are still active kept breaking records. There were alot more tradeoffs in second gen, CB's were less often and the amount of opportunities to promote in China and Japan meant groups were away for longer periods of time which allowed other groups to come in. The big three of third gen never stayed away for long. Wonder girls started off strong but when they left to do US promotions they left a vacuum for GG and 2ne1 to fill, Kara spent half the year being worshipped in Japan, Sistar would drop a summer CB and dip, F(x) and Miss A barely promoted as a group because of how popular actress Suzy was and SM being trash, AOA should be third gen or at least 2.5 along with Apink because they debuted so late into the gen (2012 and 2011) all their peaks happened during third gen.

I wouldn't be surprised if SM questions the profitability of an Irene solo after her scandal, especially coming this late in her career. I'm also taking a wait & see approach, but they must have promised her something considering she renewed. It's just the fact that she keeps having to reveal solo songs during her birthday parties that makes me think, "Yeah, that's never getting a proper release."

Personally, I'd rather see an Irene & Seulgi comeback. It's been almost 4 years.

I feel like gender is the most important reason she keeps having to say this with hopes that SM feels pressure to give her one.

They are willing to give Lucas a solo despite him not showing any signs of having a large enough fandom who will buy his stuff since the majority of his Chinese fans left him. Meanwhile Irene is still making bank for them, her solo fandom is still buying the most RV albums, her merch still sells out the fastest and her merch is far more expensive than her members and is one of the most expensive under SM yet its still crickets.

I do want a CB from I&S but I'm more curious what sound she'd end up with for a solo. The teased releases so far are so generic and boring and I know SM is not going to have that as the TT.

I get it, especially when you enjoyed the past releases, you want a higher volume to distract you from life. Maybe go back and find some second or third gen groups with larger discographies in the meantime? They have fuller discographies plus a load of old content from when kpop as a whole was more unhinged. I'll never forget that video of 2pm's Junho breaking chopsticks with his ass. And no, I'm not kidding

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I am not saying they don't need a break. But just releasing 3 more songs is too much? Seems like we all forget what being a musician is about. Yes, they're Idols too. Of course. But both IVE and Le Sserafims 3rd/4th comeback was a full album. All top groups have a full album, except for NewJeans. I can at least be disappointed about this, can't I?

You can be disappointed, but people also have the right to call you out in the context of kpop basically being musical fast fashion. We expect high volumes of music in very short timescales so we barely even enjoy the releases before its onto the next one. Olivia Rodrigo has dropped 2 albums in almost 4 years with a total of 28 songs. Newjeans had one more song than her at 3 years in 1 year. She didn't drop anything for almost 2 years after her debut album and thats the norm in the west. Countless artists who don't even write their own music go years between releases. Step away, savour the journey, a groups discography is a marathon not a sprint. They are releasing an album in the second half of this year, and tbh these two songs are for promotions in Japan. Its normal for groups to start with 1 or 2 Japanese songs before full promotions a year or two post debut.

I feel like your focusing on the wrong thing and building up your expectations the longer you don't see music and its easy to get burnt out that way and stop enjoying kpop. Just because you have the label of full album doesn't mean your actually getting it one. LSF's first full album was half filled with songs from the previous mini's, I get it with the 2023 versions but they basically dropped a mini of 7 songs and called it a full album meanwhile all their mini's are 5 songs. IVE dropped a full album because Starship finally heard all the complaints about them dropping 6 songs in 3 CB's and charging fans a premium for each. They had the same amount of songs newjeans had at 6 months when they were over a year old. You can't even claim 'all' for the top groups thing because Aespa or StayC are both older, don't have a full album yet have more songs than both IVE and LSF.

Now about the credits, all of Newjeans are still in school meanwhile isn't it just 1 member in IVE and LSF? Your expecting them to write more with less time in the day.

LSF have 16 songs, they are credited with lyrics for 9 of those but the majority of those credits are near the end of a long line of writers and the closer your are to the first one noted, the bigger your contribution. Now this isn't to say that Newjeans had a huge impact on the songs they wrote because there are only two to three writes for most of their credited songs, but if your 9th of 12 listed writers I start to question how much of an impact you had on the song and how much time you were able to spend on it. IVE has credits for 10/23 songs, 6 of those are for their rappers who probably had a hand in the rap sections only, 3 for WY and 1 for Yujin (all solo). But note the last 4 were all a full year after debut so its what 4 songs in two years?

I do wonder about the rivalry aspect. Didn't MHJ supposedly butt heads with Hybe when she got drafted hence moving her to Ador, and she even said during the debut promotions Hybe didn't belive in the concept and sound and said it needed to be harder hitting.

Wouldn't be surprised if the amount of push LSF is getting is to prove his vision could also be massively successful. I wonder if he wanted/expected LSF to get big in the US (judging from the music choice alone) and expected NWJNS to get big in SK and Asia only but it didn't happen like that so he is working hard playing catchup and MHJ is just doing what she wants/trying to solidify the Asian fanbase by specifically targeting the Japanese fans who are known for being uber loyal.

Your just too spoilt and acting like an addict needing a fix. The members are credited in over half their discog so far, yes its a small discog, but they clearly want the members to have a say in their own music and that takes longer. Also didn't they drop a whole remix album in December? Its barely been 3 months, calm down. Not to mention they had alot of work to do and they explicitly said they wanted to give the members a longer holiday, rightly so.

GIQjt7CWAAEstr8?format=png&name=large

Instead of only comparing With YOU-th to READY TO BE and nothing else, maybe consider that READY TO BE was an relative outlier in sales when compared to everything else they put out too?

Just adding to this, didn't More and More (a mini) sell double first day compared to EWO (full album) which came after? It was even a full 150k less first month on circle and to this day has sold more. Yet after that they continued to steadily increase. They'll reach a new peak in a couple albums time :pepe-shrug:

Or he was ready to end it with Hyeri, but she still wanted to work things out and was not ready to accept the breakup until November.

But from his POV the relationship had ended before that.

If he was ready to end it he should have. Dragging it out past June knowing he was done was bad enough but ghosting someone you had a long term relationship with as a way to end it is beyond immature and runs straight into the evil territory. Especially as a public figure where, for better or worse your business gets in the news on the regular. Did he really expect to be able to hide it when Dispatch makes it their business to be in everyone's business?

He is trash. If she just come out and say the info is from him, she'll clean up her image. She got a lot more fans(especially in theqoo and pann) that can shield her and blame it on Hyeri and RJY. But they probably think Hyeri will respond if it comes from him? And disprove the broke up earlier in 2023.

He got the biggest agency. He could always clear his name and throw Hyeri under the bus using/paying dispatch.

True, but even if he throws Hyeri under the bus and clears his name, HSH is still going to take a hit because of him. I just wish HSH and Hyeri would just get on the phone and make a joint statement saying he screwed us both over because they are the ones getting dragged and going to suffer because of his mess.

HSH clarified she got the broke up early 2023 in an article in June. Knetz says that there was an article in August denying any break up rumors.

More than slightly weird she didn't just ask him, honestly I feel like she did and he confirmed it but didn't want to just call him out and say thats what he told her and now she is climbing further into the pit meanwhile he is still silent and they are still on holiday together. Whether she is dumb or protective is debatable but him being trash is confirmed.

Honestly the entire thing is 100% his fault and based on his lack of reaction alone, HSH needs to leave him.

Its giving Rachel and Ross 'we were on a break'. I bet he took that break as time to act single hence HSH thinking they broke up early 2023 and Hyeri's response. I bet both are mega confused about what he told the other. Someone needs to connect them because he clearly isn't going to clean up his mess.