Posts by onwards

There's still a lot that's not clear to me like

What happens if mhj isn't asked to resign by the board on 30th April? Can they force her out or is it going to take a court case to force her out?

On similar lines, what if NJ wants to leave hybe? Can mhj end their contract directly or will it require hybe's approval?

Depends on whats written into the contracts and on Korean law.

For example in UK law you have something called drag along rights, which means if the majority owner is selling they can go to court and force the minority owner to also sell their share. In this case, if Hybe wanted to sell its Ador shares to Source, it could force MHJ to sell.

If she isn't asked to resign, or if she is and the board disproves it, Hybe has to keep trying to get her out, potentially (again if Korean law is simular to UK law) with an unfair prejudice claim. Basically saying the company is being run in a way that is unfairly prejudicial to a shareholder or a segment of them.

If NJ want to leave, it depends on their contractual terms and who they signed under. If MHJ really got full control, I think the contracts are under Ador, and if not, its grounds they may be able to claim that Hybe was unfairly able to interfere in a sublabels work despite them being independent (debateable if she has control but lets them go on if she is being a good director to Ador but depends on if Hybe decides to pursue it). Depending on how they swing it, they may be able to get the contracts dismissed. Remember Loona only got out because the income split was really weird, can't remember what happened with EXO but I heard they didn't win and 'resolved their differences' which is code for they paid SM off - so the contracts need something weird in the formation beyond the actual binding to escape, otherwise its down to buying out the contracts. Realistically, if the public sentiment is enough and the damage to the Hybe brand is big enough, the SH may force Hybe to let them go but it would need to get far bigger attention than it currently is, like BBC news level to a point that Hybes major SH's get mad at BSH and with the market cap decline and the bad attention from all of this, that may not take much doing.

But again, they will be weighing up their options, and if the general public opinion is bad enough, they may have no choice but to let them go and so far its not a JYJ situation where they were able to keep some members and retain a highground of fans for said group. If they think the evidence BSH has and the damage is big enough, he may loose his seat. Especially considering all they went through to buy SM only for Kakao to win (including paying LSM waaayyyyyy too much for the shares), grab bubble as a concessions prize and JYP to start making its own platform and move their acts over so basically making it useless. Their only win was to buy shares in an unstable company and get some idols onto their platform but said platform pays the majority of the money to the idols so are peanut profits.

yeah that is my point, sounds a bit fishy to me.....

Honestly it depends on how you break it down, I still think the estimates are high but I do believe they've made huge amounts. Neither Twice not BP had writing credits for any of their biggest hits nor were they on every streaming platform when they had them, Newjeans has less members than Twice and a far shorter training period than both and they were more efficient with their funds (according to NHJ).

Plus income changes depending on the type of work you do (if your to believe the leaks from years ago). The company gets the majority of the money from album sales, but concerts and events are more fair. I wouldn't be surprised if the income split for brand deals is more skewed towards the idol from the get go because its based on individual popularity and since they aren't sharing between all the members, each actually makes more money.

Newjeans had some huge brand deals starting from October and had endless articles about the volume of offers they were getting so we spent the next couple months seeing endless articles of their latest deal. Just counting up till April 2023, they had 8 for fashion brands (solo and group), 2 for makeup, SK Telecom to advertise the latest Iphone, a massive education company, Mcdonalds (including an exclusive meal), Nike, the city of Seoul itself, Seoul Fashion week, a Bank, Coca-cola, LG; the list quite literally is endless.

I feel like MHJ's story is the process and Hybes response is what happened after.Ador was registered in early April, Izone disbanded in late April after a long fight to get them to stay together. Companies must have been knocking down their door for months before the actual disbandment and would have had to make many promises to get them to believe considering how in demand they were.

I feel like Hybe wanted to replace members of Newjeans with Sakura and Chaewon but MHJ wouldn't play ball. But all of this still doesn't really explain Gfriend, the disbandment news came in May and the members said discussions were still positive up until those articles dropped. So what happened in April????

I might be wrong but didn't she drag LSFM into this mess by saying how HYBE want to debut LSFM first instead of NewJeans, thus bringing in more haters to LSFM?

She did, when she was defending herself against the gfriend thing and explaining the debut timeline, why people thought LSF was her group initially and why there was no buildup to Newjean's debut.

Basically said she only took Hyein and paid them back and she couldn't use any other trainee which is why the casting calls all used her name and that she had nothing to do with the disbandment so ask Hybe and Source about it.

She didn't actually know Hybe had recruited Sakura or Chaewon then they came to her and tried to use her name to hype up LSF's debut and asked her to debut them but by this point Newjeans had already been training for 2 years (even turning down casting offers abroad) and the parents were worried they would never debut which is why Ador was then made. I don't think she directly said anything bad about LSF - only about Hybe and Source and the way they were moving at the time. The reason Sakura is getting dragged is Hybe had alot of articles published at the time saying Sakura is MHJ's muse and the new GG was built around her which caused alot of mess all around and its why she went on yoo quiz, Hybe didn't allow her to clarify or advertise newjeans and now knetz are kinda saying no wonder LSF have had so many issues (Garam and coachella) Hybe didn't put enough time into training them because they wanted quick buzz.

My money is also on Hybe wanting guaranteed success so promised Sakura and Chaewon roles in the first GG if they signed and expecting MHJ to just add them and replace some newjeans members and make the group more like Izone (because it was popular and sold well) except MHJ didn't agree.

Nah all of them are equally stupid but Hybe is winning because they keep using Bts while accusing her so Armys will defending them. So, they didn't need to do much and just need to post something to provoke Armys and they will doing the for Hybe to slander and pressure Mhj and Nj.

But one thing that I believe from all of is, that Bang pd/Hybe didn't really like Newjeans become their main gg.

It does make sense, I mean remember NWJN's getting snubbed at MAMA despite less successful rookie groups winning and MHJ getting an award.....all just as Hybe crushed its beef with them and Ador is now the one beefing with them?

Bang pd clearly wanted to put her in her place. His pride never recovered from the fact that the main reason BTS succeeded was themselves and Armies, he tried so hard to make another hit group but the one time he doesn't take control the group pops off on a global scale.

It also puts new light on Newjeans getting shafted by MAMA and avoiding them to this day yet LSF not only winning, but Hybe squashing the beef between them despite them shafting their best performing group that year!

Siding with neither tbh, just sitting here with alot of popcorn - but the way Hybe came out of nowhere with this news yet article after article has been dropping about how horrible she is feels planned and reminds me of what SM did to Hybe during their beef (Hybe does love to learn and copy afterall) and her response seems rushed and emotional (but then again when isn't she?)

I feel sad for all the girls for NJ and Illit. None of them should be involved in this. MHJ shouldn’t mentioned them specifically - agreed - it just shows she’s not acting in the best interest of anyone but herself.

Honestly glad she did. What was the other option? its not like Illit can't read and won't be able to see all the stories about them being copies. Better to have it out in the open, fully blame Hybe for a terrible idea and force them to change the concept. Illit deserve far more than to be made into a shadow of another group and realistically, the worst damage would be done to the members not to Hybe.

I can't imagine the damage to their self esteems that the best Hybe could come up with is making them copy another group. And if she didn't call them out now that would haunt them their entire careers, constantly being compared and people saying x is really a copy of x member. No-one deserves that, especially not a group full of minors whose sense is self is still in development and in an industry who loves to compare and pursue plastic surgery.

Concept no, idea yes which is why companies rarely pursue this kind of issue and why she went public instead of legal. Like you said, you can totally debut someone with the same genre etc, and with music is its hard to prove anything, though I've never seen a case where the claimant can show the defendant literally had access to all their CI on how they did something and that will add weight if it goes to court (which lets be real it won't) the judge will have way more evidence on the circumstances than normal.

Plagarism is defined as 'Presenting work or ideas from another source as your own with or without consent of the original author, by incorporating it into your work without full acknowledgement'. So if MHJ can show some of her ideas for NWJN's, were used shed win, but the problem is how much did they change, how much can she prove they used and how their courts treat this kind of thing. For example Aldi is known for ripping of so much there are websites dedicated to tracking it, yet it took years for it to actually come back to bite them.

right that's what I understand...so it's not a legal issue of "plagiarism" or anything like that only that MHJ feels hard done by would that be a far statement?

Potentially it is - if the IP is owned by Ador, even if Hybe owns them the IP is still legally Adors and its hard to make a case that you don't know how it happened when you have access to all their records and the CEO and COO ador reports to is head of belift and the other is part of the writing and creative team for illit. How do you form a defence for that?

That’s actually a good point. It could be that brought copied Newjeans but she legally still has no case.

I mean, the companies are separate entities legally, and whilst companies don't often sue if some subsidiary uses their IP without consent, there is a reason they have separate IP contracts and will have licenses for all IP, and they have access to all of Adors planning info not only for the past, but future too. If anyone can make a legit clone, they can because they have access to all the inside info that SM couldn't get even with that billion won success study. Its literally the SM cloning factory but for groups. SM knows how they made the past top idol (including all the surgeries and who did them), so they just copy it for the next person with a similar face.

even if what she said is true isn't that just one person thinking hey your product (group) is a great idea I'll make a similar product to that and try to compete????

don't we have tonnes of history in kpop where if group or their concept got really popular other groups/companies try to emulate them and do something similar/same???

I can understand her POV from a public relations perspective...but legally she has no right to accuse Hybe/Bang of plagiarism right? (I probably don't know enough of a legal definition of plagiarism in this case lol)

Yes we do, the problem is, they would do that because they often didn't have the resources to make their own original group so would create a group to try and cannibalising the OG's fandom, attention, etc and both would have limited success. OR they'd surpass the OG with better resources and it often lead to people being tired of the same concept.

Also think of the mental health element. All these idols are very young, imagine constantly being compared to another idol because your seen as a copycat and being found lacking in some way? At a certain point you'd start doing it to yourself.

Well this makes sense. A lot of folks noticed the obvious similarities. I could see her getting pissed off.

But i dont know if this excuse is enough to justify the Hybe allegations. Especially if the stuff about her illegally exposing private information about innocent idols is true.

Overall, if the beef started with IIIIT and Bang's desire to take credit for MHJ's cultural reset, and if it ended with MHJ using potentially illegal tactics to get out of Hybe, and if this was the extent of the infighting, then all this drama COULD have been avoided if both CEOs just talked like mature grownups instead of letting it get to this point.

Its not like everyone didn't see this coming a mile away, two big egos can't coexist, especially when MHJ fought Hybe for a different label and complete control, then had to fight for the concept she wanted and Hybe debuted LSF right before newjeans which lead to a bunch of comparisons.

I bet he expected LSF to come out the winner but the Garam situ tanked that and relying on the post Izone fandom didn't sell as well as Newjeans did, then the gap got bigger and neither of their egos could take it. He disliked being wrong and she disliked everyone crediting everything to Hybe (aka BSH)

IIIIT pretty much ended NJ debut achievements in every chart, both domestic and global. I think.

And please dont tell me you believe NJ had any creative control over their music or concepts? Your shade towards LSRFM didnt escape me, Yunjin alone has had far more creative input than all of NJ put together, what are you on? And EVERYONE in Kpop lies about eating well, they ALL diet like crazy or starve themselves, NJ included.

And in what fairyland will MHJ go off and create a new group? Only if these allegations are proven false enough to satisfy Koreans. Because this case so far is looking like 5050, even worse in some aspects if the shit about MHJ leaking private info about Hybe idols is true. Who knows, stuff like this could rise to the level of a criminal indictment.

No shade towards LSF, only towards Hybe and their way of handling them - as always.

I mean Danielle and Hanni are credited writers on the two biggest songs from their debut ep, both of which were considered titles. Hanni and Minji are credited for the OMG EP, and Danielle is credited for half the Getup EP. Has Hybe given Yunjin that as yet? The most I remember is a promoted b-side and letting her drop her own solo songs, but still not promoting them properly when they could have done much better. It was also one of the members who suggested no teasers, just debut with the song, I don't know what impact they've let Yunjin have on their concept so you'll have to enlighten me on that but they know Yunjin has the talent for writing but aren't willing to let her loose without an army of other writers when it comes to LSF's music which is a shame frankly.

I don't deny everyone lies about eating well and they are all on diets, my point was Hybe wanted to build a 'healthy' image for LSF (remember all the articles talking about their muscles?), which IMO is more hypocritical than most companies bother trying because everyone knows its a lie anyway, because they thought it'd be popular.

Honestly time will tell, we know so little at this point that we are just chasing headlines and making assumptions. But lets not act like k-netz ever care that much about morals, otherwise they'd never accept back a whole host of actors or idols with DUI's, criminal charges etc or the pure volume of horrors we know committed by LSM and YHS yet BM is doing fine and LSM kept being head of SM and having huge hit groups despite being wanted by interpol once upon a time and it took his own nephew getting into bed with Kakao after he decided to sell SM for them to get rid of him. Then we have Psy who committed the biggest offence of all to Koreans....draft dodging, yet is now worshipped because of his success. And its also not like i-fans wouldn't stan if the music was good despite their supposed morals (if we've learnt anything about the outcry about minors, or vocals or literally any scandal its this) or potential idols or companies wouldn't run to her for the promise of success. She wouldn't even need to do anything to get investors with her history of success at this point and they'd be content to just drop cash and wait for the money to roll in and let her control everything. I didn't see the thing about her leaking idols info, thats messed up if its true - but again, its not yet confirmed and we have no idea what she supposedly leaked.