Why does allkpop forum feels so less active compared to what it was before

• Because people have grown too sensitive. You can't have one normal discussion without someone growing defensive and starting to shade you and your faves just because you share a different opinion. That pushed many people away from the main forum

• I think it's a combination of factors.

A year or two ago, a lot of people were still isolating and looking for online interaction. Most of us are back to work and socializing irl now.

My understanding is that there were a couple major incidents where a bunch of active users left or were banned.

I have been told by or seen others talk about leaving cuz they grew tired of how toxic the site got and all the shading, bashing, and troll behavior.

The guilds were created which are fun but also siphon people away from the main forum. Some people stick to their guilds solely cuz they don't have to deal with any possible negative talk about their faves.

• There are lots of things to talk about when things are topsy turvy

and not much to talk about when things are quiet

Now KPop is quiet because of BTS domination while there are lots of events in real life

• I believe after a while Kpop become less interesting. Besides the new releases and some new controversies is not much to talk about. And talking about the same things (who is the number one, who sell more, who is the better at dancing or singing, etc etc) over and over gets boring for normal people. Also the code of conduct of the forum drive away the people who use Kpop to air out their emottional issues through hate.

• Guilds create a safe place for users, so many people just basically visit guilds.

People consider divergent opinions (I said "opinions", not "hate baits") as "bullying"/hate these days, so no one can really discuss anything online.

Only bashing/troll threads get clicks and engagement. On the contrary of people think about Kpop stans, many people don't like this kind of content, so it creates a toxic view from the forums to them and they leave the site.

Also, my personal opinion, but I think AKP staff is pretty tolerant to these kind of people/trolls.

• No big comebacks, most people aren’t on bored COVID lockdown and the ongoing shift away from forums.

People will gripe and complain about people being too sensitive, can’t say what you want blah blah blah, but those three reasons I mentioned are much larger players. You can see that all the forums are dying and for all its faults, this is still the most active one.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• The revamp of the forum imo back in the old forum you could talk about all groups and topics nowadays people only talk about the top groups, people don’t like trolls but give them clout while some interesting threads flop so.

Yeah, there used to be way more stans of smaller groups here, but hardly anyone would talk about them. And then when they were discussed, it seemed like certain users were quick to jump on them for being "flops" or there would only be concern trolling threads or threads comparing them to better selling groups. I know people got tired of stuff like that. Larger fandoms could combat that but some smaller fandoms sometimes just gave up and became quiet or left.

• real talk: there is so much toxicity that people are just leaving, just like that. and don't even look back. don't get me wrong, i love most of the staff, and they're great staff but i don't think the moderation is as careful as it should be... but then again, its not as easy as it looks. with the way users are acting on here, i can't even entirely blame them. i feel like there is too much controversy and drama, and open secrets for this place to ever be the same again.

• Yeah, there used to be way more stans of smaller groups here, but hardly anyone would talk about them. And then when they were discussed, it seemed like certain users were quick to jump on them for being "flops" or there would only be concern trolling threads or threads comparing them to better selling groups. I know people got tired of stuff like that. Larger fandoms could combat that but some smaller fandoms sometimes just gave up and became quiet or left.

So how do you think they might be attracted back or is this a "one chance, long gone" kind of a thing?

• real talk: there is so much toxicity that people are just leaving, just like that. and don't even look back. don't get me wrong, i love most of the staff, and they're great staff but i don't moderation isn't as careful as it should be... but then again, its not as easy as it looks. with the way users are acting on here, i can't even entirely blame them.

tbf, moderation now is way better than it was in some of the bad old days. It was extremely toxic for a while and we lost A LOT of people. I am glad that the extreme baiting, bashing, and shading isn't as tolerated as it was before.

• real talk: there is so much toxicity that people are just leaving, just like that. and don't even look back. don't get me wrong, i love most of the staff, and they're great staff but i don't think the moderation is as careful as it should be... but then again, its not as easy as it looks. with the way users are acting on here, i can't even entirely blame them. i feel like there is too much controversy and drama, and open secrets for this place to ever be the same again.

The funny thing is that we get feedback on both sides - both saying its too moderated now and also not enough. It's difficult to figure out where the balance lies

• So how do you think they might be attracted back or is this a "one chance, long gone" kind of a thing?

whatever happened to the event ripia was holding for spotlight artists or whatever? i liked that idea. i think there should be threads created weekly to bring to light underrated songs/artists! i love Hopkinz 's and @quarkie 's threads. they do a great job and i think something like that on a larger scale would be greatly beneficial to encouraging users to talk about and engage in threads about their favorite artists more. i think its pretty obvious tons of appreciation threads don't get much attention anymore and i can confidently say that as someone who's tons before.

• whatever happened to the event ripia was holding for spotlight artists or whatever? i liked that idea. i think there should be threads created weekly to bring to light underrated songs/artists! i love Hopkinz 's and @quarkie 's threads. they do a great job and i think something like that on a larger scale would be greatly beneficial to encouraging users to talk about and engage in threads about their favorite artists more. i think its pretty obvious tons of appreciation threads don't get much attention anymore and i can confidently say that as someone who's tons before.

@ripia !!!!!!

• tbf, moderation now is way better than it was in some of the bad old days. It was extremely toxic for a while and we lost A LOT of people. I am glad that the extreme baiting, bashing, and shading isn't as tolerated as it was before.

i don't know much about the forum before the revamp other than the fact that a lot of nctzens were ridiculed and eventually left because of the backlash so yeah... it sounds really bad :nct33:

• whatever happened to the event ripia was holding for spotlight artists or whatever? i liked that idea.

no offence to any stuff member involved in that project but i think it was pointless, it is obvious that it will always be the exact same artists topping the polls every month, that's why i suggested limiting the poll options to artists that had comebacks in that specific month.

• So how do you think they might be attracted back or is this a "one chance, long gone" kind of a thing?

I don't know if you can attract those people back. I would say that it's better to concentrate on attracting and keeping new users, but I think that most new kpop stans are likely more attracted to twitter, tiktok, etc now. Maybe have an arm that engages on those networks and draws people here?

And it's important to keep the users you do have satisfied and active. An active healthy site will be more attractive to anyone that does come check us out. Do you guys ever proactively survey or do any other research about what the user base thinks about the site, how happy they are, or what they would like to see happen? I know what I like to see here, but maybe I have unusual tastes. (Going by some of the badge events voting results, I do!).

• The funny thing is that we get feedback on both sides - both saying its too moderated now and also not enough. It's difficult to figure out where the balance lies

i think at that point, its important to use your greater judgement about who's opinion you should and shouldn't acknowledge. like users who are constantly getting in trouble probably aren't the ones you should be listening to... but again idrk how things work with staff and how you guys decide to do what. :lisa11:

• no sarcasm

no pg13 jokes allowed

no baiting allowed ( baiting is one of the OG forum things that is the heart of every forum but people here seem to hate it )

no negative opinion allowed

basically this place is now for kids and robots with no emotions

oh did i mention, too stacked with people who only care about the top 4-5 groups and feed their egos while ignoring or looking down on the rest

i remember pretty well 3-4 years ago there were a lot of people who stanned nugus just for fun

so yeah, less topics of discussion

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• This thread contains 601 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!