NATURE managed to offend so many cultures with just one song

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

some of the girls themselves participated in the production of the song and came up with the stylings X/

ignored feedback from actual few stans dedicated to promoting them that they have

turns out NATURE can really flop like this

and their response

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
    mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.
    ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

• Is the Rica suppose to mean Africa?

yes

(Tweet from the OP)

• Rica rica means Africa?

As a Spanish speaker I though it meant "delicious ,rich or sexy(it's a feminine adjective and it can follow a feminine noun)" since "Rica" in Spanish is a word that it's kinda common . I thought the song had a relationship with the Spanish language. I'm confused.

STAN CRAXY'S CHAEY OR I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL. :cursing::cursing::cursing:

Edited once, last by RobVel ().

• yes

(Tweet from the OP)

I didn't dive into the lyrics are they singing the lyrics 'Rica' to mean Africa? Or are people assuming that it is just a short form for Africa?

• I went through the lyrics of the song and it didn't suggest that "rica" meant africa or that there was mention of travel in the song itself. However it looks like the tweet is saying that they (Nature) implied that that was its meaning? I am confused

Same I saw the tweet and I'm like did they really meant Africa while using the lyrics or is it something people made up?

• Why they dont just use latin culture? We don't give a fuck if someone else use some elements meanwhile is not offensive. And rica is a spanish word :pepe-use-head:

Exactly... As someone who lives in Latin America I use the word "Rica" a lot, especially with food. "Está arepa está rica" o "está empanada está muy rica".

We don't use the word "Rica" to refer to Africa.

• Wait the "rica" means Africa? I thought it was just the Spanish word. :watt: :watt:

I haven't listened to the song or watched the video, but this seems like a big ass mess which I guess is working in their favor cause people are talking about them.

• They should have stayed with the horror concept it was better. Even if this wasn't as problematic, horror was a good concept for them

The most offensive thing about the MV is the budget how do you go from this

External Content youtu.be

To whatever that MV is. They aren't even trying with that MV

• Rica rica means Africa?

As a Spanish speaker I though it meant "delicious ,rich or sexy(in a feminine form)" since "Rica" in Spanish is a word that it's kinda common . I thought the song had a relationship with the Spanish language. I'm confused.

I thought they were coming up with a Spanish song. But they came up with something else.

• Maybe it's because sometimes you don't realize your own culture sucks until you see somebody appropriating it. ^^

The song isn't great because it tries to steal too many things - not because there is stealing. Everybody steals - otherwise all K-Pop girl groups would only perform wearing hanboks.

• The most offensive thing about the MV is the budget how do you go from this

thanks to covid ig

• Wait the "rica" means Africa? I thought it was just the Spanish word. :watt: :watt:

I haven't listened to the song or watched the video, but this seems like a big ass mess which I guess is working in their favor cause people are talking about them.

"Rica" is a Spanish word that means "Delicious" "wealthy" or "Sexy(it sounds kinda vulgar ), it is a feminine adjective and has to be with feminine nouns, the masculine form of this word would be "Rico".

I know that because My mother tongue is Spanish.

However... I don't know if nature picked the word from Spanish or another language or if they were being "playful" with the lyrics.

• is there anyone on the forum that likes Nature?? bartkun do you know anything about this lmao

I like them but I just watched about 30 seconds of this Rica Rica and because it looks like performance clip instead of MV I didn't pay attention to anything and just turned it off.

Girls was such a bop and had great MV, this agency basically wasted a group of talented people here. even without talking about this comeback lyrics/costumes

External Content www.youtube.com

• I like them but I just watched about 30 seconds of this Rica Rica and because it looks like performance clip instead of MV I didn't pay attention to anything and just turned it off.

Girls was such a bop and had great MV, this agency basically wasted a group of talented people here. even without talking about this comeback lyrics/costumes

It's frustrating to see comments about the MV because they're from a small company and their company is clearly doing what they can. I see a lot of people belittling the MV but Covid is still a thing. They clearly don't have the budget that they used to.

• It's frustrating to see comments about the MV because they're from a small company and their company is clearly doing what they can. I see a lot of people belittling the MV but Covid is still a thing. They clearly don't have the budget that they used to.

Girl was released during covid as well. It was Nature's most popular comeback. They should have had at least a bit more money than what when into this MV

• It's frustrating to see comments about the MV because they're from a small company and their company is clearly doing what they can. I see a lot of people belittling the MV but Covid is still a thing. They clearly don't have the budget that they used to.

It’s “only” a performance video bc it’s a pre-release, so not a full comeback

• The most offensive thing about the MV is the budget how do you go from this

THere is no story to the Scenes either. its just aesthetic -- this reeks of cashgrab

• Girl was released during covid as well. It was Nature's most popular comeback. They should have had at least a bit more money than what when into this MV

Girls was also released before they had a dispute with CJ ENM about TOO/TO1 at the end of 2020/beginning of 2021.

• As always, it's a controversy blown out of proportion over nothing. The whole Rica thing is ridiculous; just look at the lyrics, the song is about nothing really, neither Africa nor nothing.

Then the binti thing gave me PTSD of the controversy around (g)i-dle's cover of Fire for Queendom. I thought we were over that shit.

Yes obviously they went for an exotic aesthetic but so the fuck what? It's the world we're living in. Globalization means people gets to find stuff from other cultures and countries and use it when they think it's cool. When Enhypen does twilight/vampire concepts they're borrowing stuff that originates from elsewhere. When Kingdom does Medieval/Excalibur concepts they're borrowing stuff that originates from elsewhere. When the K-entertainment industry rides the zombie wave left and right, they're borrowing stuff that originates from elsewhere. But all of a sudden, when it's a specific piece of jewelry or clothing, it becomes leeching? All of a sudden it's a big no-no that warrants cancellation? That shit makes zero sense and everyone gets dumber in the process.

I swear some people in this world must get a dollar everytime they're offended because they definitely sound like professionals.

Now about the song itself; it's not great but it's catchy enough. The MV is cheap for sure. The problem with concept switches as baffling as these is the group risks to lose all sense of identity in the fans' eyes. They should have kept experimenting with the 'Girls' sound a little longer. Right now it's hard to tell what their deal is as a group.

• Rica is a Portuguese word too. Here it means "rich" but in the feminine, like "oh, she is rich", rich in money or in acknowledgment etc.

But I'm confused in what they offended? I'll be sincere here, when i see others culture being used in MVs, songs, etc, i tend to think it is an appreciation thing, not an appropriation... So what exactly is the situation for others to accuse them of c.a?

• Girls was also released before they had a dispute with CJ ENM about TOO/TO1 at the end of 2020/beginning of 2021.

yet TO1 had a budget for their last comeback (two months ago)

they could have added an effect or something. Open up Adobe, after effect even. Or put the budget into a different choreography, literally anything

• yet TO1 had a budget for their last comeback (two months ago)

they could have added an effect or something. Open up Adobe, after effect even. Or put the budget into a different choreography, literally anything

TO1 is not under n.CH at all anymore though so I don't get your point. TOO was co-managed by n.CH and CJ ENM, but at the start of 2021 n.CH revealed they had been funding TOO on their own with no help from CJ ENM for months. A few months later n.CH was removed the group completely. That's why they had to change their name to TO1.

• This thread contains 34 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!