Itzy isn’t doing well in Korea (Analysis)

• As someone who likes them , I’m going to give my analysis on this issue:

It’s not because of vocals : Before itzy in 2021, they had wannabe , DD and Not shy that all charted very decently but how come vocals wasn’t the problem then,considering they have improved . Also there are a lot of top groups whose vocals aren’t great but their songs are hits: Hit songs has nothing to do with vocals

It’s not because of the lyrics: A lot of people bash itzy lyrics call them childish , that their love yourself concept lyrics is childish but pardon me to use this example, Aespa songs make no actual sense but they are hits so lyrics is clearly not an issue .

THE MAIN PROBLEM IS THE SONGS

Jyp Songs aren’t hitting with the public , look at both twice and itzy releases they performed poorly compared to the groups actual momentum . It seems like jyp has gone into the drought they had before twice. When wonder girls was taken to America and when they came back , the public wasn’t just eating up any of jyp songs from both Miss A and Wonder girls until Twice brought a new era . (Some of you are misunderstanding this when I mean twice reta , I’m talking about 2015 to date) . Miss a and wonder girls had their hits 2015 and 2026 respectively .Jyp sound right now doesn’t seem appealing to the Korean public , this is the biggest problem . Hopefully 2022 is a bright new era for them in jyp and jyp starts actually giving the right opportunities to the girls because it’s pitiful to see that they couldn’t win anything really last year and even in 2020 they were cheated out of their rightful awards from WannABe. I just want luck to be on itzy’s side this year .

So other 4th gen gg fans and Kpop fans in general should please leave itzy in peace and stop trying to make it seem like the girls lack abilities that’s why they aren’t doing well because that’s not true.

• Damn

i wanted to stan ITZY, but their concept wasnt enough to have me hooked

i think a break and maybe a change for the group ( like a concept change, or a small change in soundscape) may help them and JYP a bit to help get ITZY back on track :)

i wish them the very best <3

• easier analysis :

public is just moving on fast to whatever's newer and ITZY didnt manage to create a strong enough core fanbase to last them for long ( unlike Twice )

lyrics dont have to make sense, there has to be no melody, nothing matters in kpop post-2020 more than visuals ( it always mattered but never more than it does today ) and by visuals, there is a very very specific trend of what seems to appeal to the public eye rn and its not Itzy ( they're all very pretty imo so its not a diss )

and btw you straight up lied, WG had amazing performance musically, jthey just barely had enough content and promo to compete with the top groups around that 2010 period but their last album fucking rekt all groups from their gen

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• Wasn’t their last album after twice, did you even read at all , I said during twice era around that 2015 the jyp sound was being eaten up again.

There’s nothing like visuals they prefer. Yuna is one of the most acclaimed visuals of their generation and considered to be actress level so that’s just a lie . Ryujin looks like the trendiest South Korean actress right now “Han so hee” and Yeji the cat beauty if it’s visuals itzy has everything that fits the public.

There’s no much sense in your analysis

• Wasn’t their last album after twice, did you even read ar all , I said after twice debuted the jyo sound was being eaten up again

There’s nothing like visuals they prefer. Yuna is one of the most acclaimed visuals of their generation and considered to be actress level so that’s just a lie . Ryujin looks like the trendiest South Korean actress right now Hah so hee and Yeji the car beauty if it’s visuals itzy has everything that fits the public

There’s no sense much in your analysis

wonder girls went inactive around the time Miss A were big and came back right around the time twice debuted lol whats the point in mentioning them then

and no Im not lying

everyone agrees Yuna is a great visual yet the Aespa and Ive and all those girls seem to have more hardcore fans rn

this is not what I PERSONALLY feel ( im not particularly interested in any of the above groups ) but what I have observed. There's not gonna be a factual study or something about this so feel free to think what you will.

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• Because their songs are hits ? That’s why they have a lot of fans hyping them right now . It has nothing to do with looks

The fact she has a lot of mentions despite her group not doing well isn’t it obvious she fits the standard of the public

• when I say twice era, I meant 2015 and ongoing

Miss A second biggest song only you after Bad girl good girl was 2015 , wonder girls last album that did great on digital charts was 2016

Nope, you said after WG were taken to America and came back, the public wasn't eating up anything from them. That couldn't be any further from the truth. WG returned from America in what? 2010? That literally means Miss A's entire career lol with mega hits such as BGGG, Breath, Goodbye Baby, Touch and Only You. And Wonder Girl themselves had Two Different Tears, Be My Baby and Like This, all of which happened within the time period you outlined yourself.

• A question, are you korean? I ask because i saw many times this type of "analysis" from ifans who only know about Korean preferences for what they listen from others ifans o they just assuming things, and in the end they dont know shit.

What does Korean have to do with knowing a song isn’t charting? I can read Korean because I take courses in it so some of these analysis is based on Naver comments and post on Korean portals

• Because their songs are hits ? That’s why they have a lot of fans hyping them right now . It has nothing to do with looks

The fact she has a lot of mentions despite her group not doing well isn’t it obvious she fits the standard of the public

well idk ask Itzy to make remakes of hit movie OSTs then

u r m o m g a y

• Actually ITZY would have pretty good debuts\peaks on Gaon

Not Shy - #7

MITM - #10

So the obviously the GP were checking for them to some extent until LOCO(which debuted in the 20s rip). Sure they weren't hits but at least the GP would actually check out whatever they released.

I agree that it's the songs, I've seen so many non-fans say that they're fans of their performance skills and visuals but can't get into them because of the songs.

IMO they remind me of Red Velvet after Power Up & before Psycho, people would check out their music but they would flop because the songs weren't exactly good. I think they can have a hit if they actually attempt to release a good song.

• Yuna fits Korean beauty standards (probably more than other newer girl groups) also is appreciated because of it. Visuals isn’t the issue I think it has to do with the sound maybe nothing new other girl groups have that going for them.

• Nope, you said after WG were taken up to America and came back, the public wasn't eating up anything from them. That couldn't be any further from the truth. WG returned from America in what? 2010? That literally means Miss A's entire career lol with mega hits such as BGGG, Breath, Goodbye Baby, Touch and Only You. And Wonder Girl themselves had Two Different Tears, Be My Baby and Like This, all of which happened within the time period you outlined yourself.

What’s your definition of mega hits please? The

only mega hit of miss A was bad girl good girl . Only you was a decent HIT

Also you want to compare wonder girls actual hit song charting like so hot , irony , tell me and nobody to be my baby ,two different tears , like this . It’s true that compared to the actual groups momentum , the public wasn’t eating up the songs which apples to twice and itzy now .

Wonder girls was still doing international ventures till 2012 not 2010 though they released those Korean songs .

• MITM actually was as a result of how corny Yuna’s rap was . It was a hot issue in Korea and where she got the nickname the idol more actor than actor . People were searching because of that so it was riding and Yuna’s popularity was rising with it

• I thought Korea had a typical sound they like but they just listen what they want...there is nothing about non GP-friendly song when you look at melon charts it’s so random...

JYP is inconsistent but they gave one of twice biggest hit, and usually his projects with twice are good.

However with itzy it’s so random icy not shy and mafia are the opposite sisters...Itzy doesn’t have a typical sound I think if they would have sticked with their first concept they would have chart better but I don’t really care as long the music is good. I’m fine.

• What does Korean have to do with knowing a song isn’t charting? I can read Korean because I take courses in it so some of these analysis is based on Naver comments and post on Korean portals

You can see a song charting bad, but knowing the reason is a different subject. It would be nice to see some graphics or something meaningfull backing this "analysis" for a change. Right now, what you are saying is nothing new, and on contrary, have been said many many times here. I guess debate things over and over and over with the same points and the same conclusions is a regular thing here.

• I thought Korea had a typical sound they like but they just listen what they want...there is nothing about non GP-friendly song when you look at melon charts it’s so random...

JYP is inconsistent but they gave one of twice biggest hit, and usually his projects with twice are good.

However with itzy it’s so random icy not shy and mafia are the opposite sisters...Itzy doesn’t have a typical sound I think if they would have sticked with their first concept they would have chart better but I don’t really care as long the music is good. I’m fine.

Jyp isn’t just good at girl crush. Mafia in the morning had a huge dent on itzy’s name that people didn’t even bother to check out loco

<3:borahae: YUNAGAYO   <3 :borahae:

img.gif

• Jyp isn’t just good at girl crush. Mafia in the morning had a huge dent on itzy’s name that people didn’t even bother to check out loco

even when their songs didn’t have longevity at least they were reaching the top 10 so clearly Koreans were interested by itzy but when mafia came out it killed all the hype they didn’t even bother to check loco while it’s their safest song since wannabe...I believe if loco was their first 2021 CB it would charted better.

• I don’t think it has anything to do with the song or at least not entirely :pepepizza:

It’s about the hype they just don’t have the hype :pepepizza:

I don’t think Aespa songs are becoming a hit because they’re particularly good songs or have some great meaning and music. They are hip and trendy.

And conversely I don’t think twice was releasing magnificently better music than RV to have those back to back hits. Twice were the IT group. Anything they touched turned to gold for a while. And when they lost that hype they too don’t have the consistent hits.

Like red velvet, Itzy may have their own hits and misses. So they’ll flop some years have hits other years because they just aren’t that on top trendy group.

I wouldn’t think too much about this. IMO it doesn’t matter. Won’t change that Loco was the best GG song of the year.

• Were you actually into kpop during that time? Because as someone who witnessed that period, those songs were NOTHING like Twice and Itzy's performance in the charts nowadays.

• ITZY's abilities are what is hard carrying them and make them being able to peak days/weeks after the release, because people start to enjoy and listening to their songs after their performances and It's something happening since ICY. If the right songs that appeal to the GP were being given to them, they would be having many hits.

So anyone saying they lack abilities are out of their minds.

• even when their songs didn’t have longevity at least they were reaching the top 10 so clearly Koreans were interested by itzy but when mafia came out it killed all the hype they didn’t even bother to check loco while it’s their safest song since wannabe...I believe if loco was their first 2021 CB it would charted better.

I was about to say that. I thought Loco would be a big hit when the song was leaked, I'm a casual listener and Loco is one of the best Itzy songs to listen without seeing the performance

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This! It is all about the hype and what is trending. The IT gg can change at any time and the after getting 1s can easily stop doing it 🤷🏽‍♀️

• Do JYP actually wants ITZY to be liked in Korea ?

Aren't the global fans their main aim nowadays ? I think it is.

And if it is, they did very good, because I believe ITZY is one of the most popular band right now.

I also believe they are starting to get some recognition for their performances too.

But I agree with you about ITZY's music record, it is quite weak compared to other JYP groups.

MITM and LOCO were quite good this year tho, it can only get better.

• OK. Since we all are mention nothing new. Here are the reasons why Itzy is not doing well in Korea (my opinion from what i could see from Koreans)
    - Lia situation and vocals. The problem with Lia dance skills and the quality of the vocals of the group. Lia is not a powerfull singer, and dont help JYP giving her very high notes (Because everybody make high notes in KPop) Yeji is great, chaeryeong too, but Yuna and Ryujin are ok (and im being nice) I Believe if Lia was a excellent singer the people would not notice the lacks of Yuna and Ryujin. Fans except alot of Main vocalist, also fans want to admire their idols, and you only admire to the bests. For example, i believe this subject destroy the big popularity of Twice in Korea, also kinda this thing help to BP. People dont notice that BP in comparison are better than Twice in vocals, but they are behind of RV. My guess is if Twice dont exists, people would compare alot BP vocals with RV, but im drifting off.
    -Twice controversy affects them: This connect with the previous point, people was expecting how well Twice Juniors would do. All the eyes were on them.
    Not pretty enough: Itzy members are pretty, but in comparison with the top groups are not that pretty. (I dont care about this btw, but its what i saw other kpoopies think)
    -Lower quality in the music: Maybe is just me, but i feel in the previous album the quality of the production was higher, more polished.
    -New acts from other companies. Some people jump to other groups.
    -Koreans are more sectarians and harsh with idols. "If you stan a group you cant stan the other group, beacuse is kinda your enemy" I feel this shit alot in ifans, and guess were this come from? Harsh, everybody say kpop fans have a high standard for idols, they have to be perfect. I believe in this thing ifans, mostly west fans, are not that hard with this.

In the end, I hope people notice that Itzy work harder in they are improving with time, I mean, you just have to look their last performances to see how well they are doing lately. I know the girls are giving their best, i just hope JYP do the same.
    Sorry for the bad english, is not my main language.

• OK. Since we all are mentioned nothing new. Here are the reasons why Itzy is not doing well in Korea (my opinion)
    - Lia situation and vocals. The problem with Lia dance skills and the quality of the vocals of the group. Lia is not a powerfull singer, and dont help JYP giving her very high notes (Because everybody make high notes in KPop) Yeji is great, chaeryeong too, but Yuna and Ryujin are ok (and im being nice) I Believe if Lia was a excellent singer the people would not notice the lacks of Yuna and Ryujin.

I kinda agree.

But I also think Lia's situation wouldn't be as noticeable if the other members were better singers. Yeji is a weak lead vocal tbh. Chaeryeong isn't better. Yuna and Ryujin are the weakest vocals

So I wouldn't put the blame on solely the main vocal. The whole group lacks vocals.

People give Blackpink a pass (in comparison to twice) because the weakest vocals in Blackpink are still better than Twice's weakest vocals (+ they are good rappers which twice and itzy doesn't have). Also half of twice are weak vocalists so it's more noticeable.

• This thread contains 67 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!