I feel sorry for Weeekly

• STAYC put them in the back burner, Aespa made people forget they exist, now IVE is pushing them behind the other edge of the universe. How will things get for them when Kep1er / My Teenage Girl GG / HYBE NGG / Min Heejin NGG / YG NGG / JYP NGG / TBL NGG / etc debut? Weeekly was supposed to be one of those "upper mid tier" groups but it seems they will be lucky to even be upper low tier at this point. 5gen competition will make 3rd gen competition look like a walk in the park.

• I hope Weeekly survives this rough period coming up with so much competition.

They and Woo!ah were the only groups I checked in on this past year.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Aespa's peak was the nobody knows daesang so at least one obstacle is out of the way

Is this shade? I cant tell lol

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Nahhh. They're too talented not to succeed.

Putting it out there right now : I actually think they'll have comebacks and songs even more successful than After School.

The Future of K-Pop

weekly-members-profile-mainpage.jpg

• When weeekly debuted I thought they will succeed in Korea especially because they are apink junior and cute concept was still popular then after school hit big but they didn’t keep the momentum with Holiday the cb was too rushed they should have promoted after school more since it was gaining attraction with the K-GP after it went viral

Whenever Big 3s debut that seals the fate of 99% of nugu/non-big groups

• Weeekly is doing sick amazing on Spotify

After School has 95M plays

External Content www.youtube.com

• I hope Weeekly survives this rough period coming up with so much competition.

They and Woo!ah were the only groups I checked in on this past year.

i follow wooah weekly, but not weeekly.

they're fun to watch and their firm seems to treat them well.

that's my #1 criteria for following a group - i don't want to support mistreatment.

(one reason i won't follow any cube group after clc, even though soyeon and chowon are amazing)

wooah has good songs, but they lost momentum with 'purple'.

they definitely need a sound or concept that really stands out - most anonymous mid-tier groups do.

i think groups like aespa and billlie are doing well because they're so different (both sme groups, btw).

• It’s too bad because there’s a lot of both gg and bg with great potential.

I just don’t like the way they all are doing the same thing instead of going niche.

I’ve banged Purple Kiss Zombie all week - seriousely a great bop but they are just too “little girl school concept”.

Also - when does the fandom happen? I mean it seems fandoms are the only gamechangers rn - so what makes the difference in attracting fans for your fandom?

• in terms of Purple K!SS when there was post about them on pann or theqoo that they've achieved good MV views then multiple people there commented that they must have many international fans

kind of like knetz weren't even aware of Purki, but some also said that song is nice, and one person wrote "it sounds like Mamamoo song" which actually is hella compliment

External Content www.youtube.com

• Big company status + marketing/hype/media play + company stans that existed for years and are ready to hardcore stan whatever new group the company churns out regardless of anything

• if they stick to songs similar to 'after school' they will be fine

That can be dangerous too. Just look at Momoland.

I think KPOP has become oversaturated. Everyone trying to hop on that Hallyu wave that's taken over, but only a hand full of groups and companies will actually be able to capitalize on it.

I think Weeekly will be fine. Their sales are doing okay (if they had sold like this 5 years ago they would definitely be considered high mid-tier), and they should grow steadily for the next couple of years. Some of their members will go into acting, and yeah, barring no crazy scandal they should have a somewhat successful idol life. This is if they don't have another viral hit.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

Edited once, last by keyboardwarrior7 ().

• wooah has good songs, but they lost momentum with 'purple'.

they definitely need a sound or concept that really stands out - most anonymous mid-tier groups do.

i think groups like aespa and billlie are doing well because they're so different (both sme groups, btw).

Woo!ah! have a sound of their own. And they're arguably the loveliest group around right now. We'll see how things go for them. I think they're fine as is.

• Big company status + marketing/hype/media play + company stans that existed for years and are ready to hardcore stan whatever new group the company churns out regardless of anything

Enhypen (to name an example) is doing well bc of the tv show. So not really company stan work?

I think it’s too easy to disregard every act outside the big3/4 because acts outside are also doing well. They might not sell millions but they are still worth it to the company.

I guess some of the smaller companies try to get their idols who already debuted into the survival/talent shows - maybe even to launch them as soloacts. Like A.C.E i.e. Not that it mattered though.

• That can be dangerous too. Just look at Momoland.

I think KPOP has become oversaturated. Everyone trying to hop on that Hallyu wave that's taken over, but only a hand full of groups and companies will actually be able to capitalize on it.

I think Weeekly will be fine. Their sales are doing okay (if they had sold like this 5 year agos they would definitely be considered high mid-tier), and they should grow steadily for the next couple of years. Some of there members will go into acting, and yeah, barring no crazy scandal they should have a somewhat successful idol life. This is if they don't have another viral hit.

I don’t think kpop has become oversaturated. People and groups still breaks through in the western world - and there’s nothing more more saturated than the western music world.

The problem arises only if they all think they can do a bts. Bc they can’t.

• I don’t think kpop has become oversaturated. People and groups still breaks through in the western world - and there’s nothing more more saturated than the western music world.

The problem arises only if they all think they can do a bts. Bc they can’t.

I'd disagree on the oversaturation, but just my opinion.

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• All these new groups, starting with Ivy and Kessler, then with JYPn and Hybe NGGs next year, will definitely threaten a ton of 4th gen groups and some leftover 3rd gen groups. I think only Aespa, StayC, and Itzy are safe.

Loona is sort of in between, i dunno much about their fandom or how loyal they are. WJSN i guess could be safe but they're more of a Cpop group arent they? I literally know nothing about them except they have an IOI member on it.

Everglow, Idle, Purple Kiss, Wooah, Weeekly, Secret Number, Rocket Punch, Cherry Bullet, Lightsum, Nature, Tribe, Pixy, 3ye, Blackswan, Bandit, Elris, Billlie, Weki, Saturday, Red Square, Gugudan, DIA, Fromis9, Lunarsolar, Momoland, all could face serious challenges in maintaining viable fanbases, let alone actually making an impact in song charts. Everglow has really been struggling recently and Idle still has to prove their fanbase stability after SJ's departure. All the other groups are new or struggling.

• Enhypen (to name an example) is doing well bc of the tv show. So not really company stan work?

I think it’s too easy to disregard every act outside the big3/4 because acts outside are also doing well. They might not sell millions but they are still worth it to the company.

I guess some of the smaller companies try to get their idols who already debuted into the survival/talent shows - maybe even to launch them as soloacts. Like A.C.E i.e. Not that it mattered though.

It was a HYBE x Mnet production, so basically a beefed up Produce series

• All these new groups, starting with Ivy and Kessler, then with JYPn and Hybe NGGs next year, will definitely threaten a ton of 4th gen groups and some leftover 3rd gen groups. I think only Aespa, StayC, and Itzy are safe.

Loona is sort of in between, i dunno much about their fandom or how loyal they are. WJSN i guess could be safe but they're more of a Cpop group arent they? I literally know nothing about them except they have an IOI member on it.

Everglow, Idle, Purple Kiss, Wooah, Weeekly, Secret Number, Rocket Punch, Cherry Bullet, Lightsum, Nature, Tribe, Pixy, 3ye, Blackswan, Bandit, Elris, Billlie, Weki, Saturday, Red Square, Gugudan, DIA, Fromis9, Lunarsolar, Momoland, all could face serious challenges in maintaining viable fanbases, let alone actually making an impact in song charts. Everglow has really been struggling recently and Idle still has to prove their fanbase stability after SJ's departure. All the other groups are new or struggling.

You can take Gugudan and DIA off that list. Pretty sure they're disbanded.

• You can take Gugudan and DIA off that list. Pretty sure they're disbanded.

Yeah, actually i just realized i left a few more groups off the list. April, Apink, AOA and Brave Girls. I would say BG is safe for now, AOA and April are pretty much dead, and Apink might survive since the dumb bullying scandal has been debunked, although i guess there is still some sort of ridiculous "underage drinking" scandal.

• The only thing that is oversaturated is the indentical concepts. You can’t debut 30 groups with the same sound and concept.

:pepe-back-away:

If you compare the different generations, you can see the huge influx of groups that debut yearly. Not only from big to mid-sized companies but small nugu companies and companies in other industries jumping into the music industry to debut groups seeing how much KPOP has blown up.

All you have to do is look at that and see the difference. That plus all of the idol group survival shows.

In comparison to 2nd gen and early 3rd gen, it's a lot. Nothing wrong with competition, but like I said, not everyone can benefit and gets to the point where a lot of groups just get lost in the noise.

great list.

high attrition rate is the norm in the entertainment industry worldwide.

maybe 1 in 5 survive and 1 in 50 succeed.

still, 20k sales is considered a flop now while that would have been a good figure a few years ago.

the market can support more groups now.

it's also a good sign that the average income in the kpop industry has been rising ~10% per year for a while (and not just the stars).

niziu should also be included in the 4th gen list.

they are the most successful by far (2m sales in ~1yr and arguably the best sponsor list in music, including bts and any western act).

• If you compare the different generations, you can see the huge influx of groups that debut yearly. Not only from big to mid-sized companies but small nugu companies and companies in other industries jumping into the music industry to debut groups seeing how much KPOP has blown up.

All you have to do is look at that and see the difference. That plus all of the idol group survival shows.

In comparison to 2nd gen and early 3rd gen, it's a lot. Nothing wrong with competition, but like I said, not everyone can benefit and gets to the point where a lot of groups just get lost in the noise.

The problem seems to me that they debut too early. But also the most talented idols go to the big 3/4 bc of obvious reasons.

But kpop isn’t just a thing - in the words of Simon Cowell it depends on what the market is ready for (can’t believe I quoted him).

If kpop is purely a hallyu phenomenon that is the problem. Bc in other countries you would look at the market and adapt your product and marketing strategy accordingly.

It seems in korea they all think doing the same things will work.

if you call that oversaturation then ok. I call is a failed market analysis:-).

• This thread contains 21 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!