Do you think Blackpink already surpassed SNSD in terms of success?

• They have the digital success of 2ne1

International success of SNSD (to say the least)

Solo impact even bigger than Hyuna's

By far the biggest physicals numbers from a GG

And they are currently the biggest asian celebrities out there

If Jisoo hits the jackpot with her drama then I think we can honestly say they are the biggest korean GG ever

Do you agree?

• Internationally yes

But snsd success in korea goes way beyond simple digital performance

And blackpink doesn't come close to the impact that snsd had in korea

Twice would be the closest

True. But isn't international popularity more important when you're as big as Blackpink?

They are probably the biggest GG worldwide from the past decade

Still, matching Yoona or Taeyeon's popularity in SK seems impossible since Blackpink barely promotes there

• Jennie is huge in SK without lifting a finger. She is the it girl. Bagging cfs all the time. Solo was massive. I think same or even bigger than taeyeon debut. And internationally we all know bp wins by a huge margin.

Still, matching Yoona or Taeyeon's popularity in SK seems impossible since Blackpink barely promotes there

°⨳°·..·°⨳°⊹٭ 𝓙𝓞𝓨 ٭⊹°⨳°·..·°⨳°

e59e7135c19a6341cc1e93725017b2ba7130662a.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv 87421ed4a49499627715cb8666cc133529df9593.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv b2fee2c558a21bd6472498e040b6dad3a40db33e.gifv

• Jennie is huge in SK without lifting a finger. She is the it girl. Bagging cfs all the time. Solo was massive. I think same or even bigger than taeyeon debut. And internationally we all know bp wins by a huge margin.

You're undermining her popularity. She has been waaay bigger than just a solo hit. She is the biggest solo female artist after IU hands down. And probably the biggest soloist from a girl group since Lee Hyori. Being an "it girl" can go away easily with time

• I'll put you this way:

Mamamoo was a top group for almost 4 years, they burst their asses to be where they are today. And it took them A LOT of work to build a solid international fandom.

In the meantime, a group like Itzy, younger and with a stronger company, came, had a couple of comebacks and easily ended groups like Mamamoo, RV or even G-idle internationally with not much effort.

That's how things work, younger groups will always have an advantage.

Anyway, that doesn't mean BP's success isn't unprecedented

• I'm looking at this thread and I think my answer would be yes. Numbers suggest that Blackpink are more successful than SNSD.

But in terms of legacy, I don't think they are ahead of SNSD.

• You're undermining her popularity. She has been waaay bigger than just a solo hit. She is the biggest solo female artist after IU hands down. And probably the biggest soloist from a girl group since Lee Hyori. Being an "it girl" can go away easily with time

All i am saying is Jennie did make a splash in sk when she debuted. There has been no follow up and i don't see one near by either. Yet she maintains her position. I am not saying she is bigger than taeyeon but bp has a member who has made impact in Korea and is hugely popular. Even rosé did decently and she had huge anticipation at debut. Did any other snsd member do as well as rose in Korea on charts?

e59e7135c19a6341cc1e93725017b2ba7130662a.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv 87421ed4a49499627715cb8666cc133529df9593.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv b2fee2c558a21bd6472498e040b6dad3a40db33e.gifv

• I'm looking at this thread and I think my answer would be yes. Numbers suggest that Blackpink are more successful than SNSD.

But in terms of legacy, I don't think they are ahead of SNSD.

how? BP is a major reason that cute concepts died out for 4th gen. They started the wave of girl crush concepts that came out. A lot of the girl groups that came after were modeled after BP and you can't deny that. Also don't see a girl group in sight thats going to sell as much as the album did. (1.5 million copies) Even twice still hasn't broke a million.

• People aren't ready for this convo that bp individually when it comes to members is the most successful gg. Bp is the most successful gg if u consider as a whole in kpop. Big in SK. Biggest kpop gg internationally.

SNSD is still a legendary group who has shaped kpop to be what it is. Their impact will not be erased.

• :/

Looking at the numbers I'd say they're definitely more successful, at it's funny that the bias against BP that the kpop community has is even influencing this.

However SNSD had a major role in shaping kpop and spreading the "Korean wave" in Asia and internationally in general

Btw obviously this comparison is weird because a lot of things has changed

• can you really say that though when BP is outselling/outcharting twice on average who by far is considered this generations SNSD. I think it's moreso that you're downplaying BP's impact and writing word salad to convince others that the differences between gens is significant enough to say BP's achievements aren't that great cause that's what it sounds like. Lisa alone has sold more albums then any individual snsd album or solo effort so its like :facepalm:

• how? BP is a major reason that cute concepts died out for 4th gen. They started the wave of girl crush concepts that came out. A lot of the girl groups that came after were modeled after BP and you can't deny that. Also don't see a girl group in sight thats going to sell as much as the album did. (1.5 million copies) Even twice still hasn't broke a million.

They are one of the top 3 most important SME artists of all time alongside H.O.T & TVXQ.

SNSD during their time were the biggest artist in Korea. Not limited to girl group or k-pop category.

Main reason is SNSD (alongside Wonder Girls) showed the industry how and why it can be beneficial to debut girl groups. Before them, k-pop was hesitant of even debuting girl groups. That is big enough reason for them to be the greatest k-pop girl group of all time.

• They are one of the top 3 most important SME artists of all time alongside H.O.T & TVXQ.

SNSD during their time were the biggest artist in Korea. Not limited to girl group or k-pop category.

Main reason is SNSD (alongside Wonder Girls) showed the industry how and why it can be beneficial to debut girl groups. Before them, k-pop was hesitant of even debuting girl groups. That is big enough reason for them to be the greatest k-pop girl group of all time.

:facepalm: No one is denying that but BP passed SNSD up in terms of success a long time ago. BP has also had quite a significant impact on the girl groups that came after them. BP has gone places and reached new heights that ggs before them only dreamed of not just as a group but as solo artists.

• comparisons like this will can never be accurate tho

success of one group doesn't erase success of another

SNSD were biggest back then, BP are biggest now, it's quite simple :wellr:

the old records are being broken all the time and it will continue like this in the future too

there will be a group as successful (or more) as BP in the furure but it won't change the fact that BP achieved something wonderful and so did SNSD

Caitlyn Vi Vi Caitlyn GIF - Caitlyn Vi Vi Caitlyn Arcane - Discover & Share  GIFs

Edited once, last by _Dalnim ().

• I was not here during the second gen, but I think 2NE1 could beat SNSD digitally at their prime? Blackpink however has almost 4x more likes than any other gg on the market. Blackpink can reach over 80M views with Youtube's official confirmation in the first 24H while other ggs can not even reach over 20M without adds.

• What is this moronic stupidity? I'm literally pointing out how it's a fact BP are more successful while being respectful to a massively successful group in SNSD.

well you're doing a terrible job at it cause all I'm hearing from you is "things were different back then so you can't compare " while ignoring every metric bp has surpassed them in. I somewhat agree with what you're saying but it really just comes off as u downplaying bp's achievements :pepepizza:

• All i am saying is Jennie did make a splash in sk when she debuted. There has been no follow up and i don't see one near by either. Yet she maintains her position. I am not saying she is bigger than taeyeon but bp has a member who has made impact in Korea and is hugely popular. Even rosé did decently and she had huge anticipation at debut. Did any other snsd member do as well as rose in Korea on charts?

My point is, Jennie has the potential. But YG (and blinks) won't make that happen

• It's a thing when fans are so insecure and desperate for validation that even complete praise for a group causes them to be pissed off...legit take your fat ass outside and get some air you loser virgin.

you wanna start with insults? I didn't even call you names but I can start if you wanna go there :cryingr:

• BP sold a million albums in Korea alone and it's not as if they chart like shit either- their last album had bsides that charted better then some of the groups you listed title tracks ;(

I meant historically; obviously BP is currently more popular than Twice let alone SNSD who hasn't had a comeback in over four years. And Blackpink did not sell a million albums in Korea or even close to it, Gaon tracks album sales worldwide from Korean distributors, it's not actual sales within Korea. Far more of BP's album sales came from SEA and China than they did from SK. SNSD is the only girl group that was the most popular group in fandom size and with the GP at the same time domestically. Something that BP has never done (BTS/Wanna One/NCT/EXO/Seventeen all have had bigger fandoms at various points in their career). And in terms of GP success there has always been some other group with more success too, whether Twice/iKon/BTS.

I put Twice second because they were the closest to achieving what SNSD did at their peak. In 2016 Twice had the third biggest domestic fandom behind EXO/BTS but were clearly the most popular group with the GP that year (Cheer Up and TT were enormous hits). And all the singles they released between 2016-2018 were big successes that everyone still knows.

• :facepalm: No one is denying that but BP passed SNSD up in terms of success a long time ago. BP has also had quite a significant impact on the girl groups that came after them. BP has gone places and reached new heights that ggs before them only dreamed of not just as a group but as solo artists.

Do you even read before you reply?

I already said BP are more successful than SNSD and I didn't say anywhere Blackpink don't have any impact. It's just that SNSD's impact and hence their legacy is more important and bigger than Blackpink.

Stop replying to the posts if you can't understand what they mean.

• I'll answer like this:

First of all SNSD defined Cute concept in kpop scene and BP defined girl crush. If you noticed girl groups took their concept as inspiration after their debut success and almost all followed them. They both were/are the biggest GG of each gen. to add this SNSD & BP live and lived in different worlds. Blackpink live in digital music world where they have no competitor GG in kpop, SNSD had no competitor within physical world back then. Their impact is amazing to kpop.

But if you add West BP seems to be bigger in that case yes.
    Individually? BP, cause Taeyeon is the only relevant soloist in snsd (sorry to other girls but it's true). she might be bigger in S.K. but if we consider generally all BP members are bigger than her.

Depends on the metric you look at it

• I meant historically; obviously BP is currently more popular than Twice let alone SNSD who hasn't had a comeback in over four years. And Blackpink did not sell a million albums in Korea or even close to it, Gaon tracks album sales worldwide from Korean distributors, it's not actual sales within Korea. Far more of BP's album sales came from SEA and China than they did from SK. SNSD is the only girl group that was the most popular group in fandom size and with the GP at the same time domestically. Something that BP has never done (BTS/Wanna One/NCT/EXO/Seventeen all have had bigger fandoms at various points in their career). And in terms of GP success there has always been some other group with more success too, whether Twice/iKon/BTS.

I put Twice second because they were the closest to achieving what SNSD did at their peak. In 2016 Twice had the third biggest domestic fandom behind EXO/BTS but were clearly the most popular group with the GP that year (Cheer Up and TT were enormous hits). And all the singles they released between 2016-2018 were big successes that everyone still knows.

you got a source for that most of the albums coming from sea claim cause I would love to see that honestly cause I'm trying to find it myself but nothing is popping up. Also You're comparing BP to BGs but not doing the same for SNSD?? Cause I was actually a kpop fan around that time and there was definitely a period around Gee-Genie-Oh that SNSD has back to back national hits but I would not say they were overall constantly more popular then groups like Big Bang, Kara, etc etc. There was definitely a period of time where they were the undisputed top girl group but its not like they were absolutely killing everyone else in every single metric.

• True. But isn't international popularity more important when you're as big as Blackpink?

They are probably the biggest GG worldwide from the past decade

Jennie's impact in korea is huge (no other 3rd/4th girl group come close) so they definitely matched snsd in that regard that and if Jisoo's drama does well they definitely will accomplish

that even Rose is popular in Korea

• This thread contains 59 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!