Do you think Blackpink already surpassed SNSD in terms of success?

• They have the digital success of 2ne1

International success of SNSD (to say the least)

Solo impact even bigger than Hyuna's

By far the biggest physicals numbers from a GG

And they are currently the biggest asian celebrities out there

If Jisoo hits the jackpot with her drama then I think we can honestly say they are the biggest korean GG ever

Do you agree?

• Internationally yes

But snsd success in korea goes way beyond simple digital performance

And blackpink doesn't come close to the impact that snsd had in korea

Twice would be the closest

True. But isn't international popularity more important when you're as big as Blackpink?

They are probably the biggest GG worldwide from the past decade

Still, matching Yoona or Taeyeon's popularity in SK seems impossible since Blackpink barely promotes there

• Jennie is huge in SK without lifting a finger. She is the it girl. Bagging cfs all the time. Solo was massive. I think same or even bigger than taeyeon debut. And internationally we all know bp wins by a huge margin.

Still, matching Yoona or Taeyeon's popularity in SK seems impossible since Blackpink barely promotes there

・‥…━☆【L】【U】【D】【A】☆━…‥・

33d4795c2570aa6682b14e479779d12544b7ff7a.png 278a3224099a3f7086eb92022457d19e036d4eaf.png f2e27efa29a833845ceb7be13c9c86d8e35956ce.png

• Jennie is huge in SK without lifting a finger. She is the it girl. Bagging cfs all the time. Solo was massive. I think same or even bigger than taeyeon debut. And internationally we all know bp wins by a huge margin.

You're undermining her popularity. She has been waaay bigger than just a solo hit. She is the biggest solo female artist after IU hands down. And probably the biggest soloist from a girl group since Lee Hyori. Being an "it girl" can go away easily with time

• Well success isn't opinion based, we can see and use numbers so objectively speaking and not bringing up feelings or arbitrary and non quantifiable entities like 'impact' or 'hype' than yes. Twice have also. Numbers pretty much across the board confirm this. When you reach the top of the pile over the last 2-4 years it's expected as you're getting a slice of a much much larger pie than SNSD, Kara and 2NE1 had say 5-8 years prior.

Kpop is globally bigger now and those groups simply sell more, have higher sps and global music sales from. They also tour currently better than SNSD did in their prime in terms of venue sizes and would have put much much bigger numbers on the board if a pandemic didn't steal 2 of their prime years from them.

It's in ways an unfair comparison as, again, success isn't an opinion it's a fact expressed as a number in the relevant metrics and that shows BlackPink are more successful. The unfairness is that the market for Kpop now is simply a lot bigger in almost everyway so it's expected for modern groups to do better than their historic competition.

If you're talking about cultural saturation, domestic fame and sales, etc thats up for debate and a much different question, but if you're talking pure success than that's not.

• I'll put you this way:

Mamamoo was a top group for almost 4 years, they burst their asses to be where they are today. And it took them A LOT of work to build a solid international fandom.

In the meantime, a group like Itzy, younger and with a stronger company, came, had a couple of comebacks and easily ended groups like Mamamoo, RV or even G-idle internationally with not much effort.

That's how things work, younger groups will always have an advantage.

Anyway, that doesn't mean BP's success isn't unprecedented

• I'm looking at this thread and I think my answer would be yes. Numbers suggest that Blackpink are more successful than SNSD.

But in terms of legacy, I don't think they are ahead of SNSD.

• You're undermining her popularity. She has been waaay bigger than just a solo hit. She is the biggest solo female artist after IU hands down. And probably the biggest soloist from a girl group since Lee Hyori. Being an "it girl" can go away easily with time

All i am saying is Jennie did make a splash in sk when she debuted. There has been no follow up and i don't see one near by either. Yet she maintains her position. I am not saying she is bigger than taeyeon but bp has a member who has made impact in Korea and is hugely popular. Even rosé did decently and she had huge anticipation at debut. Did any other snsd member do as well as rose in Korea on charts?

・‥…━☆【L】【U】【D】【A】☆━…‥・

33d4795c2570aa6682b14e479779d12544b7ff7a.png 278a3224099a3f7086eb92022457d19e036d4eaf.png f2e27efa29a833845ceb7be13c9c86d8e35956ce.png

• I'm looking at this thread and I think my answer would be yes. Numbers suggest that Blackpink are more successful than SNSD.

But in terms of legacy, I don't think they are ahead of SNSD.

how? BP is a major reason that cute concepts died out for 4th gen. They started the wave of girl crush concepts that came out. A lot of the girl groups that came after were modeled after BP and you can't deny that. Also don't see a girl group in sight thats going to sell as much as the album did. (1.5 million copies) Even twice still hasn't broke a million.

• People aren't ready for this convo that bp individually when it comes to members is the most successful gg. Bp is the most successful gg if u consider as a whole in kpop. Big in SK. Biggest kpop gg internationally.

SNSD is still a legendary group who has shaped kpop to be what it is. Their impact will not be erased.

・‥…━☆【L】【U】【D】【A】☆━…‥・

• :/

Looking at the numbers I'd say they're definitely more successful, at it's funny that the bias against BP that the kpop community has is even influencing this.

However SNSD had a major role in shaping kpop and spreading the "Korean wave" in Asia and internationally in general

Btw obviously this comparison is weird because a lot of things has changed

• Yes and Itzy didn't just do that to Mamamoo due to the market being bigger, if they did most groups would do it too...They are considered bigger and more successful as globally they sell more. They got fans in more countries outside of Korea than Mamamoo and thus became a factually more successful group.

I think with BlackPink it's not only are they successful now, they are a huge group. So yeah SNSD were huge too in their day but besides Japan and to a lesser extent China being the top dog was in an overall much smaller yard.

Looking at say groups like BP, Twice, Exo, BTS, NCT, 17. etc versus 2NE1, SNSD, TVXQ, Suju, etc and comparing what the markets were like from 2008 onwards to around 2018-2021 it's so hard for those olders groups to be overall as successful as the markets have changed so much.

The only real benefits for them was that Japan was about 40-50% bigger market back in the day...but now SEA is much bigger, Latam is enormous, US is on the table where prior it wasn't, China has exploded and even emerging markets like the middle East, Africa and India are becoming mor open to Kpop today.

So you might say for those older groups what they did was more impressive as they simply were working with much less global opportunities, but objectively a lot of current groups have earned more success and money as the Kpop market is just so so much bigger and sales, streaming, global sps and touring(esp when covid goes away) are just blowing up year on year.

Edit: I think people need to put away the idea of confusing legacy, impact, importance, etc with actual fact based success.

• can you really say that though when BP is outselling/outcharting twice on average who by far is considered this generations SNSD. I think it's moreso that you're downplaying BP's impact and writing word salad to convince others that the differences between gens is significant enough to say BP's achievements aren't that great cause that's what it sounds like. Lisa alone has sold more albums then any individual snsd album or solo effort so its like :facepalm:

• how? BP is a major reason that cute concepts died out for 4th gen. They started the wave of girl crush concepts that came out. A lot of the girl groups that came after were modeled after BP and you can't deny that. Also don't see a girl group in sight thats going to sell as much as the album did. (1.5 million copies) Even twice still hasn't broke a million.

They are one of the top 3 most important SME artists of all time alongside H.O.T & TVXQ.

SNSD during their time were the biggest artist in Korea. Not limited to girl group or k-pop category.

Main reason is SNSD (alongside Wonder Girls) showed the industry how and why it can be beneficial to debut girl groups. Before them, k-pop was hesitant of even debuting girl groups. That is big enough reason for them to be the greatest k-pop girl group of all time.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!