Which western kpop venture will be the most successful?

• Which western kpop venture will be the most successful? 30

1. HYBE x UMG's Global BG (20) 67%
    2. JYP's American GG (8) 27%
    3. SM's NCT Hollywood (2) 7%
    4. CJ E&M's South American BG (0) 0%

In 2021, there has been a lot of news about the big kpop labels wanting to debut western groups. This news has been quite divisive among the kpop community but only time will tell whether these western ventures will be a success or not. If I had to rank these for ventures in terms of which one will be the most successful then the ranking would be something like this:

1. HYBE x UMG's Global BG

It's one thing for a group to be backed by a big label, it's a whole other story when a group will be backed by not one, but two of the biggest record labels in the world. I definitely think out of the four ventures I have listed that this one will be the most successful. Also, they didn't just say that this group will be restricted to a certain region but mentioned that it will be a global group so they will probably target many music markets.

2. JYP's American GG

JYP has a great track record for debuting amazing girl groups so I think they can pull this off. Also, girl groups tend to get better reception by the public in the west so this venture is definitely safer than debuting an American BG.

3. SM's NCT Hollywood

SM has already debuted SuperM and probably learned many things from that venture. They can use this experience and actually pull off another western group. However, only time will tell if it is a good idea for this group to be under the NCT label.

4. CJ E&M's South American BG

I don't know what to think about this one. There are many kpop fans in South America but I don't know how a localized group will be perceived there. This definitely feels like a very risky business venture.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Will you support these western groups? Personally, I will have to wait and see how they are executed before making any judgments.

• Don't know about others but nct Hollywood is gonna tank

Well, it is rumored that the NCT members will be present in the show where they train the Hollywood members so there will definately be interactions between them. NCTzens will probably love this interaction and some will definitely support this group. It's also about pride. NCTzens probably won't be too happy if one of their own units actually flops. So I can at least see some NCTzens supporting this unit.

• Official Post

I'm very interested to see how the Latin American group will do. From what I understand, CNCO is pretty well known and given how huge kpop is there, if they combine it right and actually work to produce a quality group it could be big.

• I find if funny how some people say only one company has that western validation greed... when it's going to be all of them very soon lol

This is very true. All companies would love western validation, but we only hear about the big companies as they are the only ones who have the resources to get this validation.

• Why so many BG though.

Am I missing something :peperain:

BGs tend to have much larger and more dedicated fandoms that actually spend money on the group. That is why BGs tend to be more profitable. Also, these companies are banking on their western groups getting carried by their fandoms even if they don't get the best public reception.

• BGs tend to have much larger and more dedicated fandoms that actually spend money on the group. That is why BGs tend to be more profitable. Also, these companies are banking on their western groups getting carried by their fandoms even if they don't get the best public reception.

I theorically understand that, but I'm very doubtful about the capacity of these groups to gather a large fandom. HYBE's new BG and NCT Hollywood are going to canibalise each others, for example. There is no way there is going to be two ( three, with BTS that is already there ) successful kpop BG considering how niche kpop is in the West.

Also, I feel like most kpop fans would rather just keep stanning their kpop group instead of going for a more 'westernized' version ?

Idk maybe I'm dumb and all these companies are smarter than me but I feel like I'm missing something.

• I theorically understand that, but I'm very doubtful about the capacity of these groups to gather a large fandom. HYBE's new BG and NCT Hollywood are going to canibalise each others, for example. There is no way there is going to be two ( three, with BTS that is already there ) successful kpop BG considering how niche kpop is in the West.

Also, I feel like most kpop fans would rather just keep stanning their kpop group instead of going for a more 'westernized' version ?

Idk maybe I'm dumb and all these companies are smarter than me but I feel like I'm missing something.

No I agree with you, especially about the cannibalise thing. I guess these companies think that by debuting these localized groups then the locals who were not into kpop before will finally listen to these local groups. However, the companies are also counting on the support of their current groups' existing fanbase. Although, like you said, "kpop fans would rather just keep stanning their kpop group instead of going for a more 'westernized' version ", at least according to the reactions I saw online. So it doesn't seem like too many kpop stans are willing to support these western groups. Then again, when the survival shows actually appear many of these kpop fans might change their mind. So I actually don't know how this will play out.

• I think it will depend on who does the best localization. If it's exactly like a K-pop group but in English, I think it will flop. Why follow the local version when you can follow the original?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!